Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Also the planned number of battles is less than half of the Kengan Annihilation Tournament and a pretty big chunk of the Kengan side's fighters have already had their backgrounds fleshed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Having their backgrounds already explained is pretty much a death sentence for the Kengan crew. Considering how the last tournament went

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
They can flashback to how they've trained to overcome their weaknesses since the annihilation tournament.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Sindai posted:

They can flashback to how they've trained to overcome their weaknesses since the annihilation tournament.

julius isn't actually in the fight its just he's been helping wakatsuki to juice

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Angry Lobster posted:

I kinda like this new "chill" Raian.

Raian being a huge dick but also participating in character interactions and having good points despite being a dick is a really fun character direction and I've really enjoyed him so far.

Regarding Koga participating in fights, I'm kind of feeling like the Purgatory tournament isn't going to be the entire focus of the manga like the Kengan Annihilation Tournament was for KA, so whether or not Koga participates in that might not actually matter.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

its cool there is an insane fighter who might be one of the best in the series in Adam/cosmo's trainer but he doesn't give a poo poo about getting involved

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
all of the participants in kengan matches are sellouts by definition. it's not surprising that some purists who dedicated their lives to martial arts are more skilled.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Ryuki's definitely going to start some poo poo with Ohma

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jose posted:

its cool there is an insane fighter who might be one of the best in the series in Adam/cosmo's trainer but he doesn't give a poo poo about getting involved

Should we be so sure that Kureishi (Adam and Cosmo's trainer) isn't involved in the tournament? Consider these points:

1. Chapter 19 - On the day of Gaoh's Kengan match against the one-shotted Pankration guy and Nitoku's match against the snake guy, Toyoda said that he was inviting his six confirmed fighters to watch the matches with him.

2. Chapter 20 - Kureishi said that he wouldn't be going to watch the match with Cosmo and Adam.

3. Chapter 21 - Cosmo said that Kureishi had previously fought in Purgatory when he was younger.

4. Chapter 20 - Only one of Toyoda's confirmed fighters turned up to watch the match with him, and he was deliberately drawn in shadow so we couldn't see his face. This could well be Kureishi, since (a) he is known to be a strong fighter, (b) the story went out of its way to tell us that he has a previous history of fighting in Purgatory, and (c) the story also went out of its way to tell us that he wouldn't be joining Cosmo and Adam to spectate Gaoh's match.

5. Chapter 54 - In the scene where all the 13 confirmed Purgatory fighters are shown, one of the fighters is a slim guy with a ponytail. Don't we know someone who is a really strong fighter and is a slim guy with a ponytail?

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 3, 2020

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
He probably is fighting for Purgatory, good catch!

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I think point 4 there is still supposed to be Falcon.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
#2 bottom left panel and the panel in #5 looks really convincing

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yeah there's no question that the guy second from the left in #5 is Kureishi. He doesn't just have the ponytail; he also has the long side bangs.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
There has been more Fist of the Seeker characters in Omega so I wouldn't be surprised if a few are in Purgatory.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
So who's the total list of participants?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
drat that’s a good catch

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao Okubo

https://mangadex.org/chapter/853627/1

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they never had particularly strong motivations in the annihilation tournament, either. they were hired fighters with no particular stake in the overall outcome besides a general desire for victory. the real participants were the ceos, not their proxies.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I kind of love super normal Masaki.

Where's Ed?

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 9, 2020

GrudgeOnion
Oct 25, 2010
Hell yeah!!! I'm ready for this

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So uh..."The Rocky of Osaka"?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Electric Phantasm posted:

So uh..."The Rocky of Osaka"?

What, you forgot the King of Jobbers, the Devil Lance, the Master of Fundamentals, the Rocky of Osaka, Kuroki Gensai????????

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Hypocrisy posted:

I kind of love super normal Masaki.

Where's Ed?

I'm guessing Purgatory guy figured out he was part of the Worm and wanted no part of it

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I love how no bullshit gaolang is

Catpetter1981
Apr 9, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Julius is wearing a shirt! Is that even legal?!

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Julius is gonna job and die

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

they never had particularly strong motivations in the annihilation tournament, either. they were hired fighters with no particular stake in the overall outcome besides a general desire for victory. the real participants were the ceos, not their proxies.

Not for a good chunk of the fighters though. Some had personal rivalries even if one-sided (Wakatsuki vs Fang, Saw Paing vs Gaoling, Setsuna vs Ohma), you had people who didn't really give a poo poo about the company but were super into fighting the strongest people possible (Ohma, Kuroki, Kaneda), you had fighters who had a really strong attachment to their CEO (Rei, the Fang and somewhat less so Wakatsuki and Cosmo), Bando had his weird thing where he wanted to finish his research (and get off death row for a while), Meguro was pure kill crazy, the cop bastard had his whole thing about executing justice and secretly controlling his CEO under threat of death or whatever the hell went on there.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

team overhead smash posted:

Not for a good chunk of the fighters though. Some had personal rivalries even if one-sided (Wakatsuki vs Fang, Saw Paing vs Gaoling, Setsuna vs Ohma), you had people who didn't really give a poo poo about the company but were super into fighting the strongest people possible (Ohma, Kuroki, Kaneda), you had fighters who had a really strong attachment to their CEO (Rei, the Fang and somewhat less so Wakatsuki and Cosmo), Bando had his weird thing where he wanted to finish his research (and get off death row for a while), Meguro was pure kill crazy, the cop bastard had his whole thing about executing justice and secretly controlling his CEO under threat of death or whatever the hell went on there.
Don't forget that Gandai and Sekibayashi are on such similar wavelengths that they burned their only substitution to bring in Marvelous Seki purely on Sekibayashi's recommendation.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Looks like the Purgatory team is mostly giants unless french guy and skull shorts are way shorter then I think.

Guessing now that masked dude is a clone of Agito just from his build and hair.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

So that guy on the right is Cosmo's master no doubt.

And uh yeah wtf is up with Okubo

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Mindblast posted:

And uh yeah wtf is up with Okubo

he's picking up the slack for Sekibayashi

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Mindblast posted:

Yeah, seems that way. The first time they show him from the front they even put glasses on him that could cover up his little nose scar.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Which guy on the right? The ponytail guy?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I don't see Cosmo's master there. The guy in the chinese shirt kind of looks like him but the ponytail and face are way off, and we've already met the guy in the sunglasses on the far right, he's a different guy. Koga and Ryuki met him when they went to see that Purgatory match

profileusername
Mar 2, 2019

Yeah the guy on the right with the glasses is someone named Nicolas Le Banner.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

I don't see Cosmo's master there. The guy in the chinese shirt kind of looks like him but the ponytail and face are way off, and we've already met the guy in the sunglasses on the far right, he's a different guy. Koga and Ryuki met him when they went to see that Purgatory match

They'll sub him in for the third fight of the second round.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

So which fighter is going up against Purgatory's McMountain fighter? I feel Julius would be too obvious.

Also they found (made) clothes in Julius's size. Everyone is dead now, he's unstoppable.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Yeah, I was really hoping we get to see the giants not fight each other, at least not immediately. Can't wait to see what all these people do.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

I'm starting to think the only crime Akoya cares about bringing people to justice for is contempt of cop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

I hope the mystery big giant guy fights Julius and wins through the radical combination of being big and strong and also actually having learnt a martial art.