Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Jose posted:

this is obnoxious as hell and nobody cares about empty quoting lmao

i wanted to show extra effort in quoting the funny thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Jose posted:

lol at setsuna being happy ohma's employer is a good person

Kazuo knows how to get the best of everyone. He can tell who needs to be intimidated and who needs to be charmed.

Truly, a terrifying mastermind.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
So we've done a lot of predictions on the fights in the thread, but what do you guys think the endgame is for all the backroom stuff? That's right, I'm going to type a whole lot of paragraphs of speculation again.

I feel like we're going to start seeing foul play from the Medicine Man soon, maybe at the end of the first round. He doesn't seem the type to go into business for himself, so he's probably working for someone. My first guess would be that he's working for Hayami, but I feel like he's almost certainly working for someone else after rereading some things.

Hayami is probably organizing a large scale attack on the event or the chairman, based mainly on the very large ship that infiltrated while the bodyguards fought the Black Messengers and the brief aside of Nikaido Ren making preparations for something with an unknown character. The fact that this was a separate infiltration from Kaburagi, who came in on a small submarine, suggests that those two are not working together.

Hayami also has another fighter in the bracket that fought before Meguro and won based on a comment he made after that match. Out of Wakatsuki, Cosmo, Raian, Ohma, Akoya, and possibly Muteba, I think that only Raian and Akoya are really likely. My guess would be Akoya.

Here's a breakdown of the current relevant factions that are making plays:

Metsudo faction: The current establishment, probably only represented by the fang in the bracket. Also represented by the bodyguards and extermination force in the event as a whole. Purposely left security somewhat loose to encourage the factions to maneuver in the shadows.

Society of 100: Hayami's empire, the main contenders, represented by Nikaido Ren, Julius Reinhold, various fighters under the society umbrella, and a mystery fighter that fought and won their match before or during Meguro's match. Also represented by a seemingly large force of infiltrators on the island, whereabouts unknown. Most likely planning a large scale attack.

Nogi Group: The dark horse, represented by Hatsumi Sen, Tokita Ohma, and The Ripper. Though they are a member of the Four Dragons faction, the Nogi Group seems to be acting independently from them. Nogi almost certainly has some more plans, but they haven't been hinted at much yet.

Kaburagi Koji: The wild card, not represented in the bracket, but infiltrated early on, and seemingly unconnected to Hayami's plan. Picked up Hassad and started working together after he was removed by the bodyguards. Most likely working with Nogi Group or Metsudo. My guess is that he's Nogi's ace in the hole to combat Haymi's plans.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

tweet my meat posted:

So we've done a lot of predictions on the fights in the thread, but what do you guys think the endgame is for all the backroom stuff?

Kazuo next chairman.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I feel the medicine man is going to wait for the finals to act if at all, he for all his flaws plans carefully and why waste the effort screwing with ohma and potentially getting caught against what might amount to someone that just gets crushed like inaba?

Also the "mystery fighter" is mister hot blooded as poo poo clearly. he had two fighters one who was to throw the match, thats why he was confident he had two advances already.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Oh yeah that makes more sense actually, he was referring to the fact that he had a fixed match coming up.

I don't think he has any vendetta against Ohma, he doesn't seem like the type to hold a grudge. I think Kaburagi "The Medicine Man" Koji is working for Nogi actually. I'm like 80% sure he's mostly there to interfere with Hayami's mysterious plans involving the force that infiltrated on that boat rather than the tournament itself. Then again, he might just want to watch some cool fights and eat some good curry with his friend Hassad.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

AtomikKrab posted:

Also the "mystery fighter" is mister hot blooded as poo poo clearly. he had two fighters one who was to throw the match, thats why he was confident he had two advances already.

Oh wow I never thought about it like that, was so busy trying to figure out who from the first bracket was his fighter when that was the answer all along.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

tweet my meat posted:

Wakatsuki vs the Murobuchi Gozo is probably in my top three fights so far. They made a jobber feel like an absolute monster and put wakatsuki over as one of the top contenders. It was quick, but they were going 100% from the start.

Same. The art in those chapters were so good. Explosive and dynamic and heavy.

Top 1 so far is WRESTLING vs SUMO by a long shot.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kengan-Ashua/Vol-011-Ch-089--Lightning?id=395719

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
boooo

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

What a shock...that the announcing crew just gets better and better.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The time for dreams has ended.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nice Joke! HA HA HA!

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
im glad saw paing is keeping his announcer obligations despite still being in the running

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Venuz Patrol posted:

im glad saw paing is keeping his announcer obligations despite still being in the running

it's what he was born to do

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Fastest Punch vs the Strongest Skull

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013
And we just talked last week how this manga does a good job giving even the obvious jobbers a good fight, what a terrible chapter.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GoldenPrice posted:

And we just talked last week how this manga does a good job giving even the obvious jobbers a good fight, what a terrible chapter.

Never count your chickens before they hatch. :smuggo:

Hey, what chapter was buff kindergartener Wakatsuki on?

edit2: Found it, chapter 64

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 21, 2017

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I DO NOT NEEEEEEEEED

A MICROPHOOOOOOOOOONE

BECAUSE MY VOIIIIIIIIICE!!!!!!!!

IS POWERFULLLLLLLL !!!!!!!!!!!!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

When they animate Saw Paing, I wonder if they'll get the guy who voiced Asta from Black Clover.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You guys haven't gotten to Rihito's fight yet, right?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
9 days without eating, drinking, or sleeping and then 2 days not moving and still you have to be faster than your master? It's a miracle the Raishin style survived this long if that's how they choose successors.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

You guys haven't gotten to Rihito's fight yet, right?

We just got to Mockey Mouse.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
lmao. We had to have a straight up jobber eventually. I don't mind building Rei up like this too much because he's actually kinda interesting. If it was someone like Raian or Akoya winning in one second I'd probably be a bit more annoyed.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Also holy poo poo stop putting everything in quotes constantly. Why do they translate it like this?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

tbh it does make sense as an assassination fist

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I can't believe Mockey is loving dead.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

tweet my meat posted:

Also holy poo poo stop putting everything in quotes constantly. Why do they translate it like this?

It's a Japanese delinquent stereotype I think

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Tarezax posted:

It's a Japanese delinquent stereotype I think

It's really egregious here but they do it all over the entire manga and it gets really distracting and sounds stilted.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Maybe it's sorta like when American comics bold things?

edit: I mean, assuming the quotes were in the original Japanese and directly carried over.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I honestly never even noticed.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
it's a thing in a lot of manga and japanese games.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I didn't notice them either.

Nothing will ever "match" the later parts of "Steel Ball Run" in sheer overuse of "quotation" marks. It is the "ultimate" champion of "that" title.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
You aren't doing it 「right」 until you've mastered the 「art」 of fancy quotation 『marks』

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Tarezax posted:

You aren't doing it 「right」 until you've mastered the 「art」 of fancy quotation 『marks』

They're not 「fancy」 they're just 「from japan」.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I don't know what you're talking about, this is how people in real life talk.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

saw paing is good, now i understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Knew this was coming and it still ticks me off. One of the more interesting concepts and nothing comes from it.

The only upside is that revenge is a dish best served with a beard