Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Sarcophallus posted:

I made a lovely bracket!

If the whole thing goes uninterrupted I think it'll go something like this.
Excellent predictions here. But I'm curious, why do you think Julius Reinhold will defeat Tokita Omha? Ohma seems to have answers for huge opponents. Although I agree Setsuna will make it to the finals.

:rip: Hatsumi Sen of the Clouds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Jedah posted:

Excellent predictions here. But I'm curious, why do you think Julius Reinhold will defeat Tokita Omha? Ohma seems to have answers for huge opponents. Although I agree Setsuna will make it to the finals.

:rip: Hatsumi Sen of the Clouds

I don't think Ohma is going to fight Kiryu yet. It feels too early for a face-off against what will probably be the big-bad of the series. From a story-telling perspective, Ohma has been so far dipping his toes into what I would consider the shallow side of the pond, and beating someone of Imai or Akoya's caliber (assuming Akoya wins) would put him in the stronger half of the Kengan fighters, which is a considerable accomplishment. I think the current top two plot-wise are Julius and Hatsumi Sen, with Kiryu being the wildcard newcomer that puts the whole thing on its head.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Sarcophallus posted:

I don't think Ohma is going to fight Kiryu yet. It feels too early for a face-off against what will probably be the big-bad of the series. From a story-telling perspective, Ohma has been so far dipping his toes into what I would consider the shallow side of the pond, and beating someone of Imai or Akoya's caliber (assuming Akoya wins) would put him in the stronger half of the Kengan fighters, which is a considerable accomplishment. I think the current top two plot-wise are Julius and Hatsumi Sen, with Kiryu being the wildcard newcomer that puts the whole thing on its head.

Interesting. Would Ohma vs. Kiryu happen at the end of the manga, then? Going by your predictions, it would be pretty cool to see Julius get seriously injured in his fight against Ohma, then turn around and enter a match with Kiryu with a handicap.

Also, I think Lt. Lizard has a point, none of us seem to be taking Wakatsuki Takeshi too seriously, despite his excellent Kengan record and ridiculous strength:

Wakatsuki literally went all one-punch-man on that poor bastard. Maybe we'll eat our words when he ends up being a real contender. If Sarcophallus's predictions are correct, Wakatsuki Takeshi vs. Julius Reinhold could end up becoming one of the best matches yet. Two extremely hard-hitting characters duking it out. :yeah:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hate-Senpai posted:

The writer's note about visiting an actual wrestling match and seeing actual thumb tacks being used in matches terrified me, like holy poo poo, what the hell.

Thumbtacks ain't poo poo. CZW uses fluorescent light tubes and weed whackers.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

You name a sharp and/or edged object and chances are that somewhere a fat pro wrestler has fallen back-first onto it

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Jedah posted:

Interesting. Would Ohma vs. Kiryu happen at the end of the manga, then? Going by your predictions, it would be pretty cool to see Julius get seriously injured in his fight against Ohma, then turn around and enter a match with Kiryu with a handicap.

Also, I think Lt. Lizard has a point, none of us seem to be taking Wakatsuki Takeshi too seriously, despite his excellent Kengan record and ridiculous strength:

Wakatsuki literally went all one-punch-man on that poor bastard. Maybe we'll eat our words when he ends up being a real contender. If Sarcophallus's predictions are correct, Wakatsuki Takeshi vs. Julius Reinhold could end up becoming one of the best matches yet. Two extremely hard-hitting characters duking it out. :yeah:

Wakatsuki Takeshi has the best Kengan match record for a reason, he's really strong.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even though the story has come to a complete stop, i am glad that all of these funny and/or cool minor characters get full coverage of their matches.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Takeshi was said earlier to be the only fighter that could go toe-to-toe with Fang so yeah he's very strong. He's gonna be dunked by Julius to show that Julius is a real threat though.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

New

https://bato.to/reader#64a6350e18630a32

unfortunate but expected

Murder Sentai is an rear end in a top hat

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

This is some Baki-level pseudohistorics and -sciencebabble

I loving love this

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wonder if Haru will return redeemed from the gamer lifestyle...

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I guess the whole breathing analysis thing is so Akoya can beat his opponent's without killing them?

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I wish it was this simple to leave the gamers earth... but the truth is to end Harus gaming he should have died... the gamer games for life.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
once again the boring dude wins, but i guess that's one way of establishing villains even though everyone there (except for one person) is pretty darn villainous to begin with

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The tournament is just a giant game of chicken really, whoever flashbacks first loses

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm sad that Haru has lost and that the justice-obsessed murder cop turned out to be a jerk, but I am also super interested in how things are gonna proceed.

And gently caress yeah, it's Kure time.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

A lot of fighting series have this sort of line to walk, where you kinda know who's going to win already. However, if the series is good enough it can make the reader question their initial assesment, at least for a little while. I think the most successful series of this type are the ones that can manage that trick consistently. Kengan Ashura is good at it, though not every fight needs to play out that way, i.e., guy whose name I forget fighting the Kure clan next round. He's plain hosed.

(Sort of a shame Akoya's looking like a jerk, but I guess that's not saying much in a tournament where something like 1-in-4 fighters are just straight up "kills dudes for money" assassins.)

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 10, 2017

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rangpur posted:

A lot of fighting series have this sort of line to walk, where you kinda know who's going to win already. However, if the series is good enough it can make the reader question their initial assesment, at least for a little while. I think the most successful series of this type are the ones that can manage that trick consistently. Kengan Ashura is good at it, though not every fight needs to play out that way, i.e., guy whose name I forget fighting the Kure clan next round. He's plain hosed.

(Sort of a shame Akoya's looking like a jerk, but I guess that's not saying much in a tournament where something like 1-in-4 fighters are just straight up "kills dudes for money" assassins.)

I mean, I don't mind killers, I just don't care for boring or uninteresting killers.

Look at Rain! Dude's always hyped and he has a coolass name. Taboo Child. What makes him so taboo? It's interesting, it's exciting.

Stoic doesn't necessarily mean boring, obviously, it can make a character appear mysterious and engage your curiosity (like the Wild Tiger and the Fang of Metsudo), but I can't deny that I'm more inclined towards loud and brash and jovial dudes like Seki than I am with Murder Cop.

I also don't really care for Rei for a similar reason, though at least Rei is funny when his stoic facade breaks.

Speaking of names, Taboo Child and Intelligent Barbarian (the professor who got stomped by Kiryu) are probably my favorite titles among the fighters so far. It's a shame the dude went out so quickly.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

This is going to be the longest tournament arc of manga history.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

:rip: Intelligent Barbarian. At least his legacy as a bestselling author of bodybuilding manuals lives on.

TBH the fights I'm most interested in seeing play out are the ones where the fighters have a similar body-type. Not necessarily the fighters I'm most interested in, mind. It's just.... Slim, fast dude vs. slow, bulky dude is a dichotomy you see so often in this type of series, I'd honestly appreciate the change of pace. Helps a lot that the artist has a knack for incredibly visceral brawls.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've also been rereading chapters and it's neat that these two are able to get along despite their utterly brutal fight. I loving love friendships forged through battle.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pewdiepie posted:

This is going to be the longest tournament arc of manga history.

Wasn't MARS pretty much a manga that was entirely one big tournament.

Was pretty fun when I read it way back.

Didn't read the sequel, though.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

That was an especially weird direction for the series to take, considering it started off as a shoujo romance. (You're probably thinking of MAR, but to be fair I didn't remember it was spelled that way either until I looked it up. :v: )

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Gah!

EDIT: This is a really neat image.

ZepiaEltnamOberon fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Feb 10, 2017

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

stay safe burger ghost

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Rangpur posted:

:rip: Intelligent Barbarian. At least his legacy as a bestselling author of bodybuilding manuals lives on.

TBH the fights I'm most interested in seeing play out are the ones where the fighters have a similar body-type. Not necessarily the fighters I'm most interested in, mind. It's just.... Slim, fast dude vs. slow, bulky dude is a dichotomy you see so often in this type of series, I'd honestly appreciate the change of pace. Helps a lot that the artist has a knack for incredibly visceral brawls.

Pretty much everyone in the tournament is really meaty except for two people and other than Haruo there aren't even any comically huge guys left. Even Julius is just like one head taller than the rest of them.

I hope everyone's excited for what's coming up: After the next fight it's time for the bathing chapter. :henget:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I can't wait for the inevitable "Fighter can't fight so the corporate head steps in" fight. I don't care which CEO it is, as long as they pull out some bullshit.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

jon joe posted:

I can't wait for the inevitable "Fighter can't fight so the corporate head steps in" fight. I don't care which CEO it is, as long as they pull out some bullshit.

Grandpa Kure used to be the fighter for Katahara Metsudo, and Magatani Juzo (one of the CEOs, featured on this page) is an ex-fighter too, so there's a non-remote possibility of at least one CEO or relative fighting.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 10, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I bet Haru could gently caress some poo poo up if he was non-fat and improved his technique.

I hope Rihito doesn't lose his first match, even though it's pretty likely. Also can you imagine how hosed that guy from the first fight of the series would have been against these guys?

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Following the predictions from Sarcophallus, Murder Sentai should face off against Ohma and lose, which is good. Akoya is too boring to advance to the end of the tournament, but he's the perfect opponent to demonstrate Ohma's strength and technique.

Bushmeister posted:

stay safe burger ghost

:rip:

Ytlaya posted:

I hope Rihito doesn't lose his first match, even though it's pretty likely. Also can you imagine how hosed that guy from the first fight of the series would have been against these guys?

Yeah, I think the first opponent would get KO'ed immediately, since it looks like these characters are in a different league. It's kinda similar to Toriko, when we'd be introduced to a bunch of ridiculously strong new characters/antagonists. Please don't get jobbed, Rihito.

Grandpa Kure has to be a monster. I wonder if he'll attempt some kind of sneak-attack on Ohma.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 10, 2017

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan
I'm liking this comic.

Is the Nentendo CEO is Nester all grown up? http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Nester

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

chefscientist posted:

I'm liking this comic.

Is the Nentendo CEO is Nester all grown up? http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Nester

Haha, you might be right! Nice find. I thought he was based off the Lemonhead candy mascot, but I can totally see him being a grown up Nester, too.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jedah posted:

Haha, you might be right! Nice find. I thought he was based off the Lemonhead candy mascot, but I can totally see him being a grown up Nester, too.

Lemonhead guy looks far more similar (though I'm not sure why the character would be based off of him). His similarity to Nester isn't as significant (and there'd be no reason to make his head to side if he was aiming to make him look similar). Not to mention that, more importantly, it seems Nester was just from the American Nintendo Power magazine and it would be strange if the author was familiar with a character from the American Nintendo Power that most Americans aren't even familiar with.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah it's probably just a coincidence.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

K. Flaps posted:

Pretty much everyone in the tournament is really meaty except for two people and other than Haruo there aren't even any comically huge guys left. Even Julius is just like one head taller than the rest of them.
Everyone is ripped, as one might expect for a Baki-like, but compare Ohma to his first opponent the Sadako expy. (Also Murder Music fighter vs. Julius, but I suspect that one's gonna finish up pretty quick.)

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's Kure time.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kengan-Ashua/Vol-007-Ch-052?id=347068

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
huh. rihito looks surprisingly good for someone who got ganked by a psychotic assassin from a long line of slightly less psychotic assassins.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

When he said "I'll buy it at a high price," I couldn't help but think of the merchant from RE4.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm kinda impressed that Rihito wasn't seriously injured and Raian apparently required doing that much collateral damage to their surroundings to defeat him.

I'm rooting for Rihito since he's probably the most over his head guy in this entire tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I love how affable the Kure clan is. I'd read a spin-off that was just a slice of life about this huge, goofy assassin family.