Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ha I was right. Given that the Generals were called Tera Byo-gens and the monsters were Mega Byo-Gens. The next step for the monsters being Giga Byo-Gens made perfect sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, I finally decided to check out Cardcaptor Sakura and I’ve been enjoying it so far. Should I bother with the manga at all or just stick to the anime?

Related, is the manga sequel still going/any good?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Off the subject, I finally decided to check out Cardcaptor Sakura and I’ve been enjoying it so far. Should I bother with the manga at all or just stick to the anime?

Related, is the manga sequel still going/any good?

Stick to the anime, it's pretty easily the better version. The manga isn't bad, but the anime expands on a lot of things from the manga, a lot of the anime only episodes and characters are quite good, and while the anime changes a good number of plot details it's pretty much always for the better.

The manga sequel is still ongoing to the best of my knowledge, and they also had an anime adaptation of a chunk of it that was also quite good (and had an amazing appearance by an anime only character who's the best) and I hope they do more once it's all finished.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

Stick to the anime, it's pretty easily the better version. The manga isn't bad, but the anime expands on a lot of things from the manga, a lot of the anime only episodes and characters are quite good, and while the anime changes a good number of plot details it's pretty much always for the better.

The manga sequel is still ongoing to the best of my knowledge, and they also had an anime adaptation of a chunk of it that was also quite good (and had an amazing appearance by an anime only character who's the best) and I hope they do more once it's all finished.

Is the manga sequel itself any good (as well as still currently being translated)? Also, why was the anime adaptation stopped prematurely? Finally, what chapter of the manga does the Clear Card anime end on?

Speaking of magical girl stuff, is Tokyo Mew Mew any good?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 8, 2020

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Is the manga sequel itself any good (as well as still currently being translated)? Also, why was the anime adaptation stopped prematurely? Finally, what chapter of the manga does the Clear Card anime end on?

Speaking of magical girl stuff, is Tokyo Mew Mew any good?

Manga itself? Probably. The first couple of chapters were quite good, but when I looked I didn't see any active translation efforts anywhere after those first couple of chapters so I have no idea how it ended up.

Why did the anime adaptation stop? Weekly anime series based on a monthly manga series. Clear Card had like 20ish chapters when the anime came out and was nowhere near done.

The anime ends somewhere like chapter 18ish I think? It's been a little while. Again, though, the manga only had the first couple of chapters translated before that petered out so I really don't know. I heard one or two things in passing about where the manga went and that stuff suggested the anime itself diverged even beyond having more episodes and some anime-only characters from the original, but I really can't say.

I can't speak to Tokyo Mew Mew. I saw a couple of the 4Kids dub episodes and they didn't seem that good, but whether that was because it was a 4Kids dub that wasn't trying very hard or because the source was mediocre is not something I'm aware of.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I checked, Clear Card is 48 chapters and running and they’ve all been at least fan translated.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I’ve been going through CCS (because I have this CR membership and fie if I’m gonna only watch Digimon on it) and just gotten to Li showing up. Its amazing what I remember from the cut job we got (the ‘canadian’ cut of that botch job, so, yaknow, only a mild disaster) twenty years back and how, in theory, Li’s first episode does work if you were to hypothetically use that as a pilot.

It doesn’t do so in the botch job, to be clear, but It could work.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I think they made a better dub a little while back but I heard somewhere that the original CCS dub was so hacked up that a lot of the fanbase basically considers it an entirely separate series (for one thing, they tried to pretend that Li was the star of the show in a halfassed attempt at making it appeal to boys).

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

I think they made a better dub a little while back but I think I heard somewhere that the original CCS dub was so hacked up that a lot of the fanbase basically considers it an entirely separate series (for one thing, they tried to pretend that Li was the star of the show in a halfassed attempt at making it appeal to boys).

I thought Cardcaptors was this cool Pokemon like show so I guess it worked. (I'm a cis woman though)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Larryb posted:

I think they made a better dub a little while back but I heard somewhere that the original CCS dub was so hacked up that a lot of the fanbase basically considers it an entirely separate series (for one thing, they tried to pretend that Li was the star of the show in a halfassed attempt at making it appeal to boys).

Yeah the newer dub is a lot better, even if mentally for me it'll always be Madison, not Tomoyo.

Making it appeal to boys is pretty lol because at least in the version that aired here in Aus the OP still used Catch You Catch Me, with not dissimilar lyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VetD7BrW-g

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also another Precure series has been made legally available as Star Twinkle is now up in full on the Chinese streaming site IQIY with English subs and no region locking:

https://www.iq.com/play/twylt20uwd

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Technically they didn't try to make him look like the lead, they just started the series at where he showed up to try to make it look like there was a male lead around just as much.

Which didn't work since eventually they had to go back to the episodes with just Sakura. :v:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

Technically they didn't try to make him look like the lead, they just started the series at where he showed up to try to make it look like there was a male lead around just as much.

Which didn't work since eventually they had to go back to the episodes with just Sakura. :v:

So did they just skip over Sakura and Kero’s origin then or did they splice it in later?

Also hackjob aside, how faithful was the actual translation of the original dub?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 9, 2020

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Heartcatch ep 4: I like Erika and Tsubomi's dynamic a lot. The difficulties they're having are pretty refreshing-- they both clearly like eachother and value eachother's friendship, but their friendship takes work and communication beyond that. Also their duo transformation is cute as heck.

Ep 5: Ramen for breakfast! I want to see Kobraja and Momo do a photoshoot together.

I'm also enjoying the flower language stuff.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

So did they just skip over Sakura and Kero’s origin then or did they splice it in later?

Also hackjob aside, how faithful was the actual translation of the original dub?

They splice it in much later. The show literally opens on episode eight and just sort of runs with it and doesn't bother to do any set up or anything, these are the characters and this is what is happening so I hope you're paying attention and can follow along kids. The episode reordering is also kind of funny because they show episode 7 around episode 20, so Li's semi-ominous first appearance at the end of the episode in the original is transformed via the magic of new voiceover narration to be him showing up having been late to the party because he's already an established character.

Another thing they do is show the action sequences of un-aired episodes as essentially pre-credit stingers. So if you want to know how Sakura captured the Jump card the best you're going to get is a short 25 second clip show of footage from an episode they aren't going to air.

As for accuracy of the original Nelvana dub? Hell no. The dub clearly went out of its way to try and only show episodes with significant action, so as a result some of the actual best episodes in the show aren't included because many of them are just straight character pieces. And, as for the episodes that do get in many of them are changed so significantly in detail and context that a lot of what made them good or interesting is lost in the shuffle. It was really interesting years later watching the episode about the Mirror card and learning what the episode was ACTUALLY about because the dub didn't put it across. Amusingly (or not considering the context, yuck) there is one significant "completely changing the context and meaning of the episode" dub edit that makes the show better, but it's an exception and not the rule.

The dub is also way less gay across the board, and considering this is a CLAMP work it feels almost like they were missing the point. I can point to nearly half a dozen cases of same sex attraction that the dub cuts around, including one that's a full-stop canon relationship.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I don’t care about spoilers so out of curiosity what is this good dub edit you mentioned?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

I don’t care about spoilers so out of curiosity what is this good dub edit you mentioned?

One of the episodes that the dub covers is the episode with the Sword card, which possesses one of Sakura's friends, Rika. In the dub Sakura gets Rika to hesitate for long enough to catch the card by using the Illusion card and asking it to show her to show her an illusion of the person she's most afraid of, which turns out to be one of their teachers at school. In the original Sakura asked the Illusion card to show Rika an illusion of the person she is MOST IN LOVE WITH. And the teacher in question turns out to reciprocate her feelings. And the show romanticizes this.

So yes, the original plays this as an actual kind of romance that runs occasionally in the background with an elementary school girl in a romantic relationship with the teacher who is old enough to be her father. The dub completely ejects this plot tumor from the story entirely as right it should, the reason you have a couple of scenes of them being weirdly awkward in the dub is that she's uncomfortable around him in a purely nonromantic sense. This is about the one and only dub change that was for the better.

And if you want more discomfort their relationship is even more explicit in the manga, not in the physical sense (thank gently caress) so much as the manga actually has more "romantic" scenes that aren't in the anime and the two are actually apparently engaged. This is not so in the anime. Along with cutting the engagement the anime back pedals to try and imply it isn't totally serious or reciprocated and possibly give an out to explain it, but again the illusion shows Rika her "beloved", and if you ask me the dub was entirely within its rights to just not do that at all.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah. Yeah, that was a good change then.

So out of curiosity, does this series ever get something akin to an actual antagonist or is it mostly just Clow Cards run amok the whole way through?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

So out of curiosity, does this series ever get something akin to an actual antagonist or is it mostly just Clow Cards run amok the whole way through?

Almost. There is more than just Clow Cards running amok is what I'll say.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
The teacher/student relationships in CCS haven't aged all that well. It's very 90s shoujo (see also Marmalade boy).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Heartcatch ep 4: I like Erika and Tsubomi's dynamic a lot. The difficulties they're having are pretty refreshing-- they both clearly like eachother and value eachother's friendship, but their friendship takes work and communication beyond that. Also their duo transformation is cute as heck.

Ep 5: Ramen for breakfast! I want to see Kobraja and Momo do a photoshoot together.

I'm also enjoying the flower language stuff.

I don't remember at this point have we seen all the Desert Apostle Generals in action yet.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Every time someone watches Heartcatch for the first time and gets to Cobraja, i desperately search for the Tumblr post that's just a Cobraja body pillow design with the text "Cobraja commissioned me for this". And every time I fail.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't remember at this point have we seen all the Desert Apostle Generals in action yet.

I believe so! At the point I made that post, I'd met Sasorina, Kumojacky, and Kobraja (and unofficially met the professor and the dark Precure).

Marathoned up through episode 10 while procrastinating today.

Student council president is cool and good and I hope she joins the fashion club. Seems I was wrong about her being Tuxedo Mask, though now I have no idea who he could be. Maybe just someone we haven't met yet.

I was going to guess that Momoko's friend was the dark Precure before I watched episode 10. Was pretty close!

Really seems to be picking up at this point. Looking forward to watching more.

blossommirage posted:

Every time someone watches Heartcatch for the first time and gets to Cobraja, i desperately search for the Tumblr post that's just a Cobraja body pillow design with the text "Cobraja commissioned me for this". And every time I fail.

:allears:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

In bizarre Magical Girl Crossovers Minky Momo appears in SRW Cross Omega Mobage. And meets Haman Karn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sx3KnYlekQ

okay

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Violet_Sky posted:

The teacher/student relationships in CCS haven't aged all that well. It's very 90s shoujo (see also Marmalade boy).
tbf its also just CLAMP. Clamp did all sorts of agegap in the 90s.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Larryb posted:

Also another Precure series has been made legally available as Star Twinkle is now up in full on the Chinese streaming site IQIY with English subs and no region locking:

https://www.iq.com/play/twylt20uwd

I'm guessing "no region locking" was a mistake because it is now in fact region locked. I can't access it in the States anymore, and lot of people I've seen on Twitter across various Western countries can no longer access it either.

Someone suggested it might be a sign of Crunchy eventually having the rights for this half of the globe but I guess we'll have to see.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pikestaff posted:

I'm guessing "no region locking" was a mistake because it is now in fact region locked. I can't access it in the States anymore, and lot of people I've seen on Twitter across various Western countries can no longer access it either.

Someone suggested it might be a sign of Crunchy eventually having the rights for this half of the globe but I guess we'll have to see.

Yeah they locked it recently, nevermind. The translation seemed ok though but there were a lot of untranslated lines.

France has Maho Girls and apparently may be getting Max Heart soon so there’s a chance those might come to the states eventually as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Nov 12, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Violet_Sky posted:

Yes, I recently learned through my current series watch that Sakura’s dad and mom were a teacher and a 16 year old high school student respectively when they got married as well, that’s....certainly a thing.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 12, 2020

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

tbf its also just CLAMP. Clamp did all sorts of agegap in the 90s.

Marmalade Boy wasn't CLAMP I don't think.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Larryb posted:

Yes, I recently learned through my current series watch that Sakura’s dad and mom were a teacher and a 16 year old high school student respectively when they got married as well, that’s....certainly a thing.

Just watched that ep today and yeah, I wasn't quite ready for that much of a gap (Silly me thought "Starting teacher" ment like 24 or something, haha, nope :downsgun:)

Also, unrleated, I keep forgetting those giant, child sized medicine balls are a thing. Like I shouldn't, I've seen enough japanese cartoons to know they're a thing but, every time, "Those medicine balls are rediculous."

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of CCS, are the movies worth watching? And related, are they referred back to in the series itself or are they more or less standalone?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

Speaking of CCS, are the movies worth watching? And related, are they referred back to in the series itself or are they more or less standalone?

Movie 1 is almost entirely standalone. It's basically just an extra big episode, it has some backstory for Li and one other character, but said backstory isn't hugely important in the end so on the whole it's basically just more of what the series is, and by that measure absolutely it's good you should watch it. Chronologically it's set between the first and second seasons, but you can basically just watch it anytime in late season one, once the cast is settled in.

Movie 2 is an epilogue to the show, the final episodes lead directly into it and it's basically the true ending for the series so if you like the show you should definitely watch that movie once you get to the end.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

Movie 1 is almost entirely standalone. It's basically just an extra big episode, it has some backstory for Li and one other character, but said backstory isn't hugely important in the end so on the whole it's basically just more of what the series is, and by that measure absolutely it's good you should watch it. Chronologically it's set between the first and second seasons, but you can basically just watch it anytime in late season one, once the cast is settled in.

Movie 2 is an epilogue to the show, the final episodes lead directly into it and it's basically the true ending for the series so if you like the show you should definitely watch that movie once you get to the end.

So chronologically does Movie 2 happen before Movie 1 then (or by second season did you mean the second half of the show rather than Clear Card)?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

So chronologically does Movie 2 happen before Movie 1 then (or by second season did you mean the second half of the show rather than Clear Card)?

The original CCS is divided into three seasons. If Clear Card is anything it's season 4.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

The original CCS is divided into three seasons. If Clear Card is anything it's season 4.

So since the entire first series is 70 episodes in total, what episode does season 2 begin then?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note:

Healin Good 32: That was a fun Chiyu episode. Though he's been around for a while, it was nice to see Touji get some focus. Kid's getting some self-esteem issues compared to his sister, but Asumi helped him get that boost he's been needing. Also, Guaiwaru powered up similar to Shindoine, and now humans regularly become the MotW. So we're assuredly heading towards endgame territory with the way things are shaping up.

Next week is another Nodoka episode.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

So since the entire first series is 70 episodes in total, what episode does season 2 begin then?

Season 1 is 1-35, Season 2 is 36-46, and Season 3 is 47-70. Helpfully, the opening changes every season.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Larryb posted:

Movie 1 is a 90's Shonen Jump Movie (IE: An exetended episode of little to no import to the series) and Movie 2 is an epilouge to the series.
Movie 2 is the only part of pre-clear CCS with an unedited US Dub, which is kinda amusing to hear.

Speaking of Dubs, anyone in the UK (You have my appolgies :scotland:) can watch the first season of CCS on All 4 with its Animax dub.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Nov 15, 2020

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Are there any other magical girl (or magical girl adjacent) shows out there with a duo dynamic a la Futari wa Precure? It's my favorite type of dynamic for this genre but most of the shows I've found focus either on a single heroine or on a team.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Pikestaff posted:

Are there any other magical girl (or magical girl adjacent) shows out there with a duo dynamic a la Futari wa Precure? It's my favorite type of dynamic for this genre but most of the shows I've found focus either on a single heroine or on a team.

Flip Flappers!