Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

eames posted:

We'll find out soon enough I guess.

Speaking of Threadripper, Linus dropped some pretty heavy hints that Threadripper is two Ryzen 7 cores on a single package. I always knew that the architecture would be modular but having what appears to be two identical sockets merged into one was eye opening. Hopefully performance won't suffer too much if it's an SMP-like architecture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nynBEGCtg90

Wouldn't this be sort of related to the Navi technology they are working on on the GPU side?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

eames posted:

We'll find out soon enough I guess.

Speaking of Threadripper, Linus dropped some pretty heavy hints that Threadripper is two Ryzen 7 cores on a single package. I always knew that the architecture would be modular but having what appears to be two identical sockets merged into one was eye opening. Hopefully performance won't suffer too much if it's an SMP-like architecture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nynBEGCtg90

I'm not sure how I feel about this... I was hoping they'd be binned Zeppelin dies, since Ryzen 7 yields seem to be topped out.

....unless Zeppelin are actually four Ryzen 7 dies with some extra sauce, then I have no loving idea how to assess parts anymore.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Risky Bisquick posted:

Wouldn't this be sort of related to the Navi technology they are working on on the GPU side?

Yup, AMD is all-in on Infinity Fabric. Their plan for Navi to do the same thing on the GPU side that they're doing on the CPU side right now. If they can manage to glue together several under-volted Polaris/Vega cores and have them function as a single unified GPU I think they'll be very successful.

I'm interested to see what the die layout looks like for the 16 core Threadripper part. They showed off the 32 core layout and it's 4 8-core modules arranged in a square. I'm wondering if the 16 core will be; 2 modules on one side of the chip? diagonal? centered? Or (worst case) will it be some sort of conglomeration of various combinations of modules with some of their cores disabled.

I really can't imagine them doing that last one; but it's AMD.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

That's probably exactly how they're going to do it - gives them a way to recoup as many defective dies as possible. They did it for their 4 & 6 core products, probably just scaling the same thing up.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
If they can get the infinity fabric fast enough and low enough latency, then it shouldn't be too much of an issue, as long as they address the NUMA issues and make sure that all the context switching costs are known/available to the OS. It would be a great way to salvage marginally performing chips, or chips that are super great except for that huge defect in core 3.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

If they can get the infinity fabric fast enough and low enough latency, then it shouldn't be too much of an issue, as long as they address the NUMA issues and make sure that all the context switching costs are known/available to the OS. It would be a great way to salvage marginally performing chips, or chips that are super great except for that huge defect in core 3.

Since its single cpu NUMA doesn't come into play with infinity fabric, do note that 1700-1800x parts don't do numa and had other fixes come in without having to use NUMA as a scheduler.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Krailor posted:

Yup, AMD is all-in on Infinity Fabric. Their plan for Navi to do the same thing on the GPU side that they're doing on the CPU side right now. If they can manage to glue together several under-volted Polaris/Vega cores and have them function as a single unified GPU I think they'll be very successful.

I'm interested to see what the die layout looks like for the 16 core Threadripper part. They showed off the 32 core layout and it's 4 8-core modules arranged in a square. I'm wondering if the 16 core will be; 2 modules on one side of the chip? diagonal? centered? Or (worst case) will it be some sort of conglomeration of various combinations of modules with some of their cores disabled.

I really can't imagine them doing that last one; but it's AMD.

There are probably more optimal arrangements, it's kind of an interesting question.

Are there any model systems (toy or real-world) where both the logical design (eg VHDL) and the design constraints on the fab process are known, ideally along with a datasheet on the process with something like "thermal output per mm^2" according to some clock/duty cycle rating?

(I doubt it but someone please surprise me)

Worse comes to worst you should be able to discern a lot of this experimentally - delid that bitch, toss some thermal-sensitive laquer on there, and record it as it goes through a test suite designed to gently caress with each particular stage or execution unit. I'm 100% sure one of the reviewers did this for Ryzen?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 31, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Anybody watching the AMD thing? Got a dying cellphone battery, can't watch or listen while I'm working on this machine.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Anybody watching the AMD thing? Got a dying cellphone battery, can't watch or listen while I'm working on this machine.

Anandtech are liveblogging: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11476/computex-2017-amd-press-event-live-blog-starts-10pm-et

Nothing interesting so far, just rehashed slides and OEM talk.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Aye. They are currently parading a bunch of OEMs with increasingly thick accents, I'm not sure I've understood much of the past 10 minutes.

Edit: Apparently the ROG Ryzen 7 based laptop is 60% faster than any other laptop. Needs qualification I think.

Anarchist Mae fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 31, 2017

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
No word on Vega, what a let down. Still time I guess

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Ryzen/Vega APU something something

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Ryzen Mobile is a CPU and Vega GPU on one die, and it's loving tiny. I was expecting separate dies. 50% better CPU performance, 40% better GPU performance and 50% of the power requirements than their previous APUs.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Nice, all Threadripper parts will have 64 PCI-E lanes. No segmentation there.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

16C/32T 64 PCIE 3.0 Lanes for Threadripper.

RIP MY THREADS LISA SU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Good god Threadripper is the size of an old school hard drive

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Threadripperrrrrr

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Someone quote the Threadripper comic.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
No Vega stuff until end of July.

RIP AMD shares.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Still no news about threadripper prices or clock speeds oh dear

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
By AMD standards, that was a pretty good event I reckon.
Okay demo'ing loving Prey with dual AMD Titans/16 cores and have frame tearing was a chuckle :)

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Measly Twerp posted:

Ryzen Mobile is a CPU and Vega GPU on one die, and it's loving tiny. I was expecting separate dies. 50% better CPU performance, 40% better GPU performance and 50% of the power requirements than their previous APUs.

That's supposed to be 704 Vega cores as well, so why even the gently caress is Big Vega approaching 550mm˛? That kind of performance should be pretty incredible for gaminmg even, like 1080p medium-high on even the most recent titles, if the performance of the A12-9800 is anything to go by.

repiv posted:

Nice, all Threadripper parts will have 64 PCI-E lanes. No segmentation there.

No pricing though, but I don't think it's going to be like Intel's i9s and having 64s lanes on even the cheapest Threadripper CPU could make for a strongly compelling option despite Ryzen trailing in performance overall.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Maybe cut down CUs due to non compute stuff?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/Flandre_1507/status/869663506743914497

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Measly Twerp posted:

Holy crap, you weren't kidding.

eames
May 9, 2009

:popeye:

I feel like AMD is killing it right now except for the impending desktop Vega disaster.
Based on the Ryzen TDP scaling we've seen so far they're in a really good position for mobile. Doubly so if they can pair the APU with a few gigabytes of HBM.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Geez if they can just put a "lousy" 1GB of HBM1 on their APU's it'd be a huge win for iGPU performance. It could probably compete fairly well with some of the mid-ish range dGPU's at 1080p or less resolution with that. Seems like that isn't gonna happen though. At least not for 2017.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So without availability date, I suppose there won't be early samples going to reviewers any time soon?

sauer kraut posted:

Good god Threadripper is the size of an old school hard drive
Still smaller than those silly Pentium 2/3 cartridges.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Geez if they can just put a "lousy" 1GB of HBM1 on their APU's it'd be a huge win for iGPU performance. It could probably compete fairly well with some of the mid-ish range dGPU's at 1080p or less resolution with that. Seems like that isn't gonna happen though. At least not for 2017.

As much as I'd like to see a zen quad with a RX480-level GPU on die paired to a stack of HBM, but it doesn't make any sense for Raven Ridge when and the memory controller can push 30-40 GB/s on DDR4 at average clocks. The GPU part is absolutely tiny.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 31, 2017

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

wargames posted:

Since its single cpu NUMA doesn't come into play with infinity fabric, do note that 1700-1800x parts don't do numa and had other fixes come in without having to use NUMA as a scheduler.

Yeah it will, look up Intel's Cluster-On-Die architecture. You can have multiple numa nodes defined on a single socket. You need something to indicate to the OS where the crossbar/whatever is and to schedule threads around it unless you want even more erratic performance.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

PCPer did some tests on the ROTR Ryzen update. It looks like a pretty solid improvement :cheers:

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Arzachel posted:

As much as I'd like to see a zen quad with a RX480-level GPU on die paired to a stack of HBM, but it doesn't make any sense for Raven Ridge when and the memory controller can push 30-40 GB/s on DDR4 at average clocks. The GPU part is absolutely tiny.
Yeah they'd have to pump up the iGPU to make full use of it but it'd still benefit the iGPU they're going to put in Raven Ridge too. I suspect the iGPU in Raven Ridge will reeaaallly love higher clocked DDR4 just like the Bulldozer based iGPU's saw nice performance boosts with higher clocked DDR3.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The Raven Ridge platform is my most hype Vega product. Hopefully there are bigger ones than the demo unit at the show for mobile platforms. I'd take upscaled 900p@60 or with Freesync 2 in a thin and light, or 1080p Freesync 2 in an XPS 15 style computer.

The Threadripper platform is looking super neat, too. Since overclocking won't get it to Skylake-E performance, I wonder if all those PCIE lanes and soldered IHS are going to pull folks to AMD.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Is AMD managing to go from CPU = BAD and GPU = GOOD to vice versa in one generation?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Is AMD managing to go from CPU = BAD and GPU = GOOD to vice versa in one generation?

That's definitely a summary of current events, yes

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Vega is a concept, an ideal we strive towards. There is no Vega, because Vega represents our yearnings and struggles toward the future. Vega is pure, and will forever be beyond reach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Really though, is there any reason to actually be concerned about them using two Vega cards for the Prey demo? Everyone seems to have forgotten the "drivers still aren't ready and they're just emulating fiji" defense that was so popular when those janky numbers leaked