Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
We really need to update the thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Jumbo with increased penetration. :getin:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Mazz posted:

I lost interest in those skinner box style collecting games some time ago; for a while I would've agreed with you but frankly that's not at all why I still play War Thunder. I actually really enjoy the semi-realistic style of vehicle gameplay, and have since games as far back as realism mods for BF1942 like Forgotten Hope.

Forgotten Hope was my jam in the early 2000's.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Solumin posted:

We really need to update the thread title.

Yup. Any suggestions, thread?

Edit: Also, I'm redoing the OP's nation rundown section. Most of you are way more knowledgeable about tanks and ships than I so I'd appreciate if any of you could write a bit about the strong and weak points for each nation's ground and naval forces. Already did the US just to give you an idea of what I'm aiming for.

Azran fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Feb 17, 2019

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

War Thunder 7: Ace Combat

got fired from Snopes
Aug 28, 2014
War Thunder: Power Creepers Jeepers

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
War Thunder: closed by the helicopter thread in A/T

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
War Thunder: Boats and Hoecopters

this isn’t good

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
War Thunder: 8.8

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
War Thunder: The only thing keeping them from adding spaceships is that they already have another game with them

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Been playing this off and on since 2014 and have somehow accumulated 2500+ hours in it. I check in on the thread for major news updates, etc. but anyway,

War Thunder> This is stupid. I'm quitting for real.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

War Thunder: B-26 Still Missing

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Here's my naval forces assessment so far.

US Boats:
+ Best air support options, 50 caliber MGs is very good against boats and most fighters can mount bombs and torpedoes to hunt down boats.
+ The anti-air loadout of its boats are both numerous and has good firing arcs. VT shells for 76mm and 127mm guns also allow you to blow up enemy planes easily.
+ Has the best destroyers overall in the game.
- Tech tree is full of repeated boats and ships.
- Has the worst cruisers in the game.
- The 40mm Bofors on most boats will overheat a few seconds into a firefight. Only ship mounted Bofors and the ones on the LCS and PGH last long enough to kill the bad guys.

German Boats:
+ Can douse enemies in a hail of autocannon fire.
+ Only one with guided bombs at low BR.
+ Has the best armored cruisers in the game.
- WW2-era boat automatics have pretty poor ballistics which can make killing targets near 2km a pain.
- Repair costs are through the roof for quite a few boats and all your cruisers.
- Early boats tend to be fragile and will die to American 50s.

Russian Boats:
+ Automatic weapons have good ballistics and has a lot of cannon-equipped boats at low tier.
+ Has a Cold War destroyer frigate with automatic 76mm cannons that is devastating against small boats and planes if the incredibly strong Cold War boats is not already enough for you.
+ First light cruiser has 180mm guns (the largest guns atm) and secondaries with VT. Second one is decently armored and with lots of fast firing guns.
- Also has the same repair cost issues as Germany.
- Most boats cannot handle non-calm waters well... at all.
- Automatic weapons have small magazines and/or an agonizingly long reload time.

UK Boats:
+ 4000lb bombing with the Wellington is the most hilarious gimmick that works too well.
+ Autocannons either reload very fast (Poms-Poms) or take a while to overheat (Bofors)
+ The automatic 57mm has good ballistics and will deal allow you to respond beyond 2km.
- Boats are either very good or very bad with nothing in between. Especially infamous is the starting boat which only has 7.7mm machine guns that struggle to tickle someone beyond 1km.
- Ammo racks on quite a few boats and ships are easier to hit which increases the chance of you dying.
- Has the worst air and naval torpedoes in the game. Especially the aerial ones since their drop speed is so low that you can't torp someone after flying in from your airspawn. :psyduck:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

UK boats:

12.7mm HMG ammo includes an I, I, I, IT option which should only be used with Firestarter playing on a loop.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Madurai posted:

War Thunder: B-26 Still Missing

marauder? i hardly knewflew ‘er!

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Danann posted:

Here's my naval forces assessment so far.

US Boats:
+ Best air support options, 50 caliber MGs is very good against boats and most fighters can mount bombs and torpedoes to hunt down boats.
+ The anti-air loadout of its boats are both numerous and has good firing arcs. VT shells for 76mm and 127mm guns also allow you to blow up enemy planes easily.
+ Has the best destroyers overall in the game.
- Tech tree is full of repeated boats and ships.
- Has the worst cruisers in the game.
- The 40mm Bofors on most boats will overheat a few seconds into a firefight. Only ship mounted Bofors and the ones on the LCS and PGH last long enough to kill the bad guys.

German Boats:
+ Can douse enemies in a hail of autocannon fire.
+ Only one with guided bombs at low BR.
+ Has the best armored cruisers in the game.
- WW2-era boat automatics have pretty poor ballistics which can make killing targets near 2km a pain.
- Repair costs are through the roof for quite a few boats and all your cruisers.
- Early boats tend to be fragile and will die to American 50s.

Russian Boats:
+ Automatic weapons have good ballistics and has a lot of cannon-equipped boats at low tier.
+ Has a Cold War destroyer frigate with automatic 76mm cannons that is devastating against small boats and planes if the incredibly strong Cold War boats is not already enough for you.
+ First light cruiser has 180mm guns (the largest guns atm) and secondaries with VT. Second one is decently armored and with lots of fast firing guns.
- Also has the same repair cost issues as Germany.
- Most boats cannot handle non-calm waters well... at all.
- Automatic weapons have small magazines and/or an agonizingly long reload time.

UK Boats:
+ 4000lb bombing with the Wellington is the most hilarious gimmick that works too well.
+ Autocannons either reload very fast (Poms-Poms) or take a while to overheat (Bofors)
+ The automatic 57mm has good ballistics and will deal allow you to respond beyond 2km.
- Boats are either very good or very bad with nothing in between. Especially infamous is the starting boat which only has 7.7mm machine guns that struggle to tickle someone beyond 1km.
- Ammo racks on quite a few boats and ships are easier to hit which increases the chance of you dying.
- Has the worst air and naval torpedoes in the game. Especially the aerial ones since their drop speed is so low that you can't torp someone after flying in from your airspawn. :psyduck:

Added, thanks! I now need Tank info.

Unoriginality
Jan 1, 2008

Danann posted:

Largely this.

US boats:
+ Best destroyers by far
+ Best dual purpose planes
+/- Cruisers are the only ones to get VT secondaries, but only the second one has enough for it to matter, and they can't do poo poo to other cruisers.
+/- Best premium DD if you want to pay2grind
+/- Bofors are amazing. Which is good, because your only two really good boats are BR 2.0 and 3.0, and the difference is one gets a second bofors.
-Clemsons. Just loving don't.
- Worst rank II ships. (Maybe excepting the brits, who are too horrible to even touch.)

Russians:
+ Armored gun boats are good as long as you stay >2.2km from your target. If not, a Leichte will become annoyed with you existing, and then you won't.
+ Destroyers (usually) get VT mains, DF secondaries.
+ Pe-8. If dropping a 5,080kg bomb every 30-40 seconds doesn't sound hilarious to you, you need to take a very hard look in the mirror.
- VT fuses on the destroyer mains means going from 3.58kg of HE to 2.06. Largely made up for by the SAP rounds.
- Both cruisers only get DF fuses on their AA guns, second one gets DF mains as well. Better than nothing, but it's not VT

Germans:
+ Best rank II everything, basically.
+/- Ferry barges are an acquired taste, and the first one is extremely mediocre. Second one is wonderful, if it fits your play style.
+ 109s
+ Best cruisers for killing ships. The end.
+/- I still can't decide if the K-2 is hilarious or hilariously terrible. It's slow, it's literally incapable of hitting something moving towards it while it's moving forwards, and frequently incapable of hitting stationary targets while it goes full speed in their direction, at least in arcade. Sometimes it's just amazing though. DDs are mediocre.
- First cruiser doesn't get any VT or DF guns, and any half bright plane will dumpster you. Second one only gets DF.

Brits:

No.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Azran posted:

I'll do USSR tanks and Helicopters.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Azran posted:

I can handle British and French tanks. Gimme a few hours to get home and write something up.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Azran posted:

Sticking to Tier rather than BR because it's easier

German Tier I

+ Pz II/Flak Panzers have 20mm cannons that tear everything at this tier apart in seconds.
+ Vehicles generally have decent enough armour when angled
+ Most opponents can be taken out with a single heat shot (or 2-3 20mm) because the crew are packed together
+ Most of your tanks crew are spread out enough to survive being one-shotted
+ Pz IV E is a one-shot machine with its heat round, and can bounce a lot of rounds when angled.
+ AA line make excellent anti-tank platforms
+ Sturmpanzer's 150mm round can one-shot Abrams, and a near miss can kill most enemy vehicles
- Most tank's mobility is lacking against Russian/US peers

German Tier II

+ Mobility starts to catch up with other nations (they've slowed down)
+ Heat rounds are still very effective at this level
+ Long 75mm (Marder/Pz F2) is fast reloading, high velocity, decent explosive filler, and excellent pen
+ 88mm Truck can one-shot anything from any direction, and is surprisingly difficult to take out (big crew, spaced out, no armour)
+ Puma scout car can be lethal in the right hands
- Armour is woefully inadequate at this tier, and everything will pen it easily
- PZ III line is past its prime in every possible way, have to really pick frontal shots to take out most US/Russian tanks
- Smoke shells open up other opportunities on the battlefield
- AA truck is easy prey for tank and aircraft MG's
- Stug line have to be played very carefully as they are easily one-shotted

German Tier III

+ Tiger, Panther, and Jagdpanzer line enjoy excellent armour protection if used properly
+ Tiger, Panther, and Panzer IV/70 can one-shot most enemies
+ Nashorn/Emil/Dicker Max can one-shot nearly anything from any direction
+ Some of the best AA vehicles in the game, but ineffective against most tanks
+ Crew are still spaced out enough to survive many first-shots
- Pz IV line is past its prime, and needs to be played very smart to still be effective
- Open-topped AT guns are vulnerable to aircraft and have poor mobility
- German turrets feel like they are working in slow-motion at this point
- Enemy tank guns have caught up, and their range and penetration can be a real shock
- Enemy tank mobility is generally better, expect enemies to be ambushing closer to your spawns

German Tier IV

+ Long 88's (Tiger II, Panther II, Waffentrager, Elephant, and Jagdpather are still very effective against most enemies
+ Tiger II (H) is very good at bouncing rounds if used properly
+ - Waffentrager while slow and vulnerable to everything is lethal in a hull-down or camouflaged position
- Panther and Tiger II (P)'s mantlets are huge, easy to hit weakpoints
- Enemy guns now have enough explosive filler to one-shot you very regularly
- Tank killers (Elefant/Jagdpather) are easily disabled from the front
- Panther II is the only tank with decent mobility, everything else is considerably slower than most enemy equivalents
- Panther A/G/F are past their prime, generally have to think more about flanking than head on encounters

German Tier V

- Don't bother playing anything above Tier IV as it's turning into a first-shot twitch-fest. (IMO)

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fXkKXqBmmrDe_xYkSjP7RHyvT8tismW-jf99w8n3mn8/edit?usp=sharing

Here's my draft. comments welcome.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I tried to keep these as short summaries, like the USA entry in the OP. I included lists of notable tanks that are good for new players to aim for first.

:britain:

+ Overall, British tanks pair top-shelf guns with either good maneuverability or adequate armor -- rarely both.
+ Almost exclusively use solid shot, giving them above-average pen for their BR.
+ Early tanks: Maneuverable, good to mediocre armor. Crusaders and Cromwells are really fast, Churchills are extremely beefy. Excellent reload speeds.
+ Late tanks: Early stabilizers, lots of emphasis on turret armor, APDS for excellent pen or HESH for good performance against slopes.
- Almost exclusively use solid shot, making kills more difficult compared to APHE.
- Early tanks: Can't reverse at all. Armor tends to be weak, with Churchills being the notable exceptions.
- Late tanks: British tank doctrine calls for hull-down positioning, so tanks are not the most maneuverable (compared to their peers) and have weak lower-front plates. APDS and HESH seriously need some love, their post-pen damage is terrible.

Notable tanks: Crusader Mk III, Cromwell I, Churchill Mk I, Avenger, Comet I, literally everything in Rank IV, Vickers MBT.
Notable premiums: A.C.IV, Iron Duke IV, Strv 81 (Rb.52), Centurion Mk.5 AVRE, Sho't Kal Dalet.

:france:

+ Overall, French tanks emphasize maneuverability over armor.
+ Early tanks: The B1 bis is terrifyingly tough, able to withstand almost all cannons. The two American options are solid tanks.
+ Tier III tanks: The best solid shot cannons in the game, capable of slicing through a Jumbo at range. Excellent maneuverability, too.
+ Late tier: Fast, fun, surprisingly bouncy armor, and great guns. The AMX-30 is a French Leopard packing HEAT, and the AMX-40 has the second-best APFSDS round in the game.
+ Autoloaders appear early, giving consistently fast reloads that don't rely on the loader to be alive.
- The early French tanks are so bad, two of them were actually removed from the game. Seriously, the SPAA has better pen than these. It doesn't get good until Tier III.
- Tier III: The oscillating turret design found on some tanks is rather unstable, making firing on the move or scoot-and-shoot tactics difficult.
- Late tier: The best tanks (e.g. Lorraine 40t) are absurdly expensive to repair.
- Autoloaders are great until the ready racks run out, leaving you stranded with long reload times. Avoid sustained fights!

Notable tanks: B1 bis, M4A4 (SA50), M4A3E2, Lorraine 40t, CA Lorraine, AMX-30 (1972), AMX-50 Surbaisse, AMX-40
Notable premiums: B1 ter, M4A1 (FL10), Lorraine 155-MLE.50, AMX-30.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
If you don't limit tankers to 500 words or so, you'll be able to ctrl+F and find the word "penetration" dozens of times in the OP. And the OP will be about the length of a novella.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

If you don't limit tankers to 500 words or so, you'll be able to ctrl+F and find the word "penetration" dozens of times in the OP. And the OP will be about the length of a novella.

:sweatdrop:

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
lmao 2000+ words on ussr tanks, more effort than half the papers i grade

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Honestly, just make this the entirety of the tank portion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqfwXCqvX-4

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Another thing to remember for tanks (regardless of BR) is to be thinking about your next piece of cover. Be it a rock, ditch, building, destroyed hull, or a depression in the ground, you need to know the fastest way to get there so you spend the least amount of time exposed. Whenever you fire your gun you should be backing behind some manner of cover and not admiring your shot or waiting to reload. You've just alerted everyone nearby to your position, so their rounds will be arriving shortly.

Speaking of reloading, don't advance and expose yourself until you're finished reloading. If your tank is a high-caliber assault gun that needs 30 seconds or more, getting behind cover isn't enough. Get 30 seconds travel time behind cover so an observant enemy doesn't make a mad dash to get you before your next round is ready.

When going around corners have your turret pointed in anticipation. Don't wait for it to catch up after you've already exposed yourself. In some vehicles its better to have it facing forward and quickly whip your hull around a corner (like in city streets) so your gun is already pointing where you want it.

On some vehicles, gun elevation and depression is painfully slow. Make sure your barrel isn't pointed in the dirt or sky when you might need it. If you're about to crest a hill, have it pointed down ahead of time. Approaching a ridge? Have it pointed up before you find an enemy tank cresting it. Have limited depression? Avoid terrain that will prevent you from engaging enemies.

Most of all, know what is ahead of you. Look at the map for enemy contacts and to make sure your team is covering your flanks and rear. Peek around corners, look over obstacles, use those binoculars, they have a better zoom, a wider view, traverse faster, and won't give away your position like a spinning turret, exhaust smoke, or a revving engine. (Use headphones so you can better hear approaching enemies and better judge their position and range)

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I successfully BnZ'd a few jerks today. Even managed to survive most of my failed ones by pulling up and away faster than they could turn and chase me. I didn't get to play it much, but the P-38 seems like it will be good at this.

One thing I noticed is that attacking seems way harder than it used to be. I know there was a bomber Nerf, but did it also apply to the "attacker" and dive bomber type bombers? I used to just dive bomb repeatedly in Ju-87 or A-36 or similar dive bombers and could pretty reliably kill lots of stuff before eventually getting killed. Now it seems I can hardly kill anything before I'm shot to pieces.

Also, do people generally not dive bomb in arcade? It seems I constantly kill enemy dive bombers just flying low and level dropping bombs like normal cas type attackers.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
p-38 is a badass platform. in sim you have a sweet cockpit, great visibility, and those turbosupercharged engines make so little noise no one hears you coming. nail them with your nose twenty then back into the clouds. it also does snap turns really well and good luck shaking one off you

wilderthanmild posted:

Also, do people generally not dive bomb in arcade? It seems I constantly kill enemy dive bombers just flying low and level dropping bombs like normal cas type attackers.

who knows in arcade. most people are just trying to farm stuff as quickly as possible or do achievements/wagers, so they're going to suicide run things and don't care about dying when they can spawn in another and head to another target

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
AB gives you a bomb indicator, so dive bombing isn't as useful for aiming bombs -- though it would probably be better for staying alive.

Attackers probably feel worse because all planes are more fragile since the heli flight model changes.

I gotta climb into the P-38 again, that thing is so much fun. Do y'all prefer the early or late models?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Okay, only missing a summary for Soviet, Italian and Japanese tanks.

Xerxes, if you want to write a brief summary that'd be great, if not I can just go over the stuff you wrote already and make it myself. Either way, both your and Blistex's German rundown are added as optional extra reading for the OP, alongside more general stuff.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Italian and Japanese tanks: The tanks from the axis powers, except not the German ones.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Solumin posted:

Attackers probably feel worse because all planes are more fragile since the heli flight model changes.

That makes sense. I was used to being able to shrug off a few hits while I climbed a way from a bombing run, but now those few hits tend to lead to me being killed or crippled a lot more often.

I also noticed getting kills is way easier than it used to be for fighters. I used to have to keep my guns consistently on a target for what seemed like forever to shoot someone down. Now a couple quick hits with 50s seems to do the trick.

I probably should have been able to connect those dots without being told.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Solumin posted:

I gotta climb into the P-38 again, that thing is so much fun. Do y'all prefer the early or late models?

all i ever really use is the xp-38g. i need to spade out the rest of them and wish i bought the k the last time they brought it back out for sale.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Azran posted:

Okay, only missing a summary for Soviet, Italian and Japanese tanks.

Xerxes, if you want to write a brief summary that'd be great, if not I can just go over the stuff you wrote already and make it myself. Either way, both your and Blistex's German rundown are added as optional extra reading for the OP, alongside more general stuff.

I'm making a cliff notes version now.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

thats not candy posted:

all i ever really use is the xp-38g. i need to spade out the rest of them and wish i bought the k the last time they brought it back out for sale.

I should probably buy that premium.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

USSR tanks:
In general
+ Decent to excellent mobility, firepower, and armor.
- Average to abysmal gun depression and reverse speed, with some exceptions.
+ At no point is this tree a painful grind, it’s consistently good at all levels and is a very “full” tree. You won’t have lonely one-offs that don’t fit into a good lineup.

Tier 1
+ You have perhaps the all around best gun at level, the 45mm 20-K.
+ The BT tanks are fast, but lightly armored.
+ The T-60/70 are quick, well armored and armed.
- The T-26 based tanks have poor mobility and armor.
+ The SU-5-1 will give you a taste of 76mm firepower, albeit with with little ammo to spare, terrible armor and terrible mobility.
+ The T-50 is a fantastic tank which is great in all three areas.

Tier 2
+ Have no fear, The T-34/76 is here! You have the weapon that won the battles and the war, and the enemy does not. You’re mobile, well armed, well armored and have a low profile. Everything that has “T-34” in the name is a good tank.
+ The KV-1 is an armored beast that will shrug off even the best the enemy has to throw at you. Forget the famous Tiger, this is the true :killdozer: experience.
+ The 76mm that both of these types are armed with will do quite well at this level.
+The ZiS-30 is the little go-cart that could (carry an excellent AT gun).
+ Your SPAA is okay, but nothing to write home about.
-Rather average CAS support.

Tier 3
- Your 76mm guns are no longer up to par and your armor isn’t working like it used to.
+ But good news! The 57mm and 85mm guns you have in abundance at this tier do fantastic work. The 57s are a little lacking in post-pen damage, but does okay. The 85mm totally mulches your target when it pens with the BR-365A round.
+The IS-1 has good armor and fantastic reverse.
- Your SPAA gets bad with a pair of 5 shot slow-firing 37mm vehicles.
$ For some GE, you can check out if you’d like the USA tanks style with the lend-lease M4A2 76mm.

Tier 4
This is mostly tier 3 stuff with better guns or ammo. Still going very strong at this point.
+The T-44 being a notable exception in that it improves the mobility and the armor along with the ammo. The T-44-100 goes further with a new gun.
+ASU-85 is a good sniper.
-The ISU series are bad and not worth it. The SU-100(P) is acceptable.

Tier 5
+The T-54 tanks are all really strong, combine them with the BMP-1 for a mobile and flexible lineup.
+The SU-122-54 is your first rangefinder equipped tank, and the reload on it’s 122 is acceptable. Another good sniper, the KPVTs can let you save ammo on lighter targets and defend yourself well against planes.
-The IS-3 and IS-4 have garbage guns that simply fire too slowly and are starting to lack the penetration required. What’s worse is that the armor isn’t worth jack now with power creep and all the HEAT-FS being thrown around. Fiction imitates life.

Tier 6
+ You have a really strong endgame here, second only to the USA.
+ You’re the only ones that has truly effective gun launched missiles, with 5km max range. (T-55AM-1, T-62M-1, T-64B, T-80B)
+ The T-55A, T-10M and Object 906 are still rocking APHE, which lets you OHKO when most can’t.
+ Good mobility, excellent guns, great frontal armor on the T-64/72/80*
- Said frontal armor has weak spots around the driver and the gun and is totally absent on the LFP, but you can work around this.
+ T-80B has fantastic mobility.
+ The T-72A is tougher than it looks due to it’s better autoloader design.
+ Probably the best helicopter support available, in the form of the MI-24 Hind.
- But unless your MiGs are running CAP, you’re going to get poo poo on endlessly by skygods. Not even the Shilka will save you.
+ The BMP-2 is anti-everything, just don’t get hit.

Would you like to know more?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Anyone notice a slight stutter or hiccup in the first 10 seconds of tank battles? I'm usually running ~150+ FPS, but in the last day I have noticed it. It's usually a 1 second pause and then my PC catches up. I'm on a really decent 300mbps connection, so I don't think that's it, and it's not unusual for me to have a web browser open with youtube paused while gaming.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blistex posted:

Anyone notice a slight stutter or hiccup in the first 10 seconds of tank battles? I'm usually running ~150+ FPS, but in the last day I have noticed it. It's usually a 1 second pause and then my PC catches up. I'm on a really decent 300mbps connection, so I don't think that's it, and it's not unusual for me to have a web browser open with youtube paused while gaming.

War Thunder streams textures to make it possible for console players to load into battles within finite time so it's probably that (but it's been that way for a while).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Tanks in a nutshell:
AMURHICA:
+A high focus on gofasts and maneuverability, very few actually slow tanks
+lots of gun depression for peaking over hills
+In Combined Arms you're really playing the US Air Force's tank division and just working to get enough points for an American plane for from Close Air Support action
+ .50 Caliber FREEEDOM guns everywhere
-Otherwise kinda mediocre guns
-Shermans are good tanks but they really overstay their welcome

USSR:
+Really big guns
+Like holy poo poo, HUGE GUNS firing APHE that's just packed with explosives
+T-34s are bullshit bouncy castles when they're first introduced
-long reloads on those big guns
-Tanks designed to fight in Siberia which is flat, therefore they have no gun depression. The War Thunder maps are often very not-flat.

Germany:
+Also like big guns
+20mm guns are absolutely terrifying against other vehicles in low BRs and never stop being good as AA guns.
+Lots of interesting ideas
+Your Tiger and Panther never eat their own transmission
-Turns out German Armor is not as indestructible as it was sold as.
-Your entire team is too terrified to advance and get their toys shot so they sit back and snipe.

UK:
+Hilariously hi-pen railguns with high rates of fire
+Seriously, their starting gun, the 2-pdr, can (theoretically) pen Tiger side-armor and it gets more powerful from there.
-No APHE as explosive filler and fuses are expensive and Britain is basically bankrupt after WWI
-Railguns will go in one side, out the other and hit only a single optic
-Good mobility, good armor, you're not allowed to have both
-"Reverse gears, what are those? Keep a stiff upper lip and charge, TALLY-HO!"

Japan:
+They liked big guns and heavy HE fillers almost as much as the Soviets, moreso in some cases
+The Ho-Ro is a BR 1.7 WWI artillery howitzer welded onto a pair of motorized tracks that fires an HE shell that can kill BR 5 vehicles.
+The Chi-To is a goddamned beast
+In CARB you can summon zeros that can carry bombs and still have a tighter turn radius than Spitfires when you earn enough points.
-Pretty much everything else. Japan used most of its steel to make boats, and like hell the IJN was gonna give the IJA one pound of metal more than they had to. The fighting between the two services was legendary.