Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

FLG with a final solution to the list building problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

if you wanted to get inti an army *strictly for the painting* what would you go with? i've been doing blood axe orks and its fun but i'm fuckin' sick of boyz right now and wanna get some flashy painting done in a different pallette/on different shaped plastic.

T'au.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

TheChirurgeon posted:

The apoplectic whining has been funny, but it's hard to believe GW wouldn't have seen this coming when they dubbed the month "Orktober" only to make the release list for the month a single box set everyone knew was coming. They bit off a little more than they could chew with that one.

Oh no, people who are hyped for a heavily previewed and pushed by GW's community team refresh of an army they play expected to get releases actually in the announced month.

How terrible of them.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I remember them starting to build up Orktober in like May. Releasing the most important part of it after the month ends is kind of a dick move. I'm sure there's a vocal minority of those people who are annoyed screaming bloody murder at the development team. That doesn't mean the rest don't have a point.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

Is there a good list builder for kill team that anyone would recommend?

I like this one: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pnsyElFPsnnFtgVShKp_US_4VGFGPDLUN01m8jdNYRs/htmlview

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Any idea if GSC knights are going to be a thing? Or really any LoW other than looted baneblades?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Schadenboner posted:

Any idea if GSC knights are going to be a thing? Or really any LoW other than looted baneblades?

Knights don't have the Astra Militarum keyword, which is what GSC can ally with as of right now, so probably not. Unless Tyranids get a LOW in plastic (which would loving own).

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Strobe posted:

Knights don't have the Astra Militarum keyword, which is what GSC can ally with as of right now, so probably not. Unless Tyranids get a LOW in plastic (which would loving own).

Yeah, it feels like Tyranids need a big bug of their own (that isn't literally resin stilts) and GSC is half an army.

I guess there are Hierodules too? Are they any good?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
No.

I feel like there's a lot of room for kickass big bugs, like a burrowing monstrosity the size of a Baneblade, or a Carnifex type beasty the size of a Knight, or really literally anything but "stick bug except with tall spiky legs".

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Strobe posted:

No.

I feel like there's a lot of room for kickass big bugs, like a burrowing monstrosity the size of a Baneblade, or a Carnifex type beasty the size of a Knight, or really literally anything but "stick bug except with tall spiky legs".

Yeah, like an Antlion (like from Starship Troopers, or from SimAnt*). I guess Trygons are sort of like this but something that could swallow a Rhino/Taurox I mean.

*: Also from my years-long series of nightmares in middle school featuring the Antlion from SimAnt. :shudder:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I would like a Trygon that was appreciably bigger and meaner than it currently is.

Especially if it gets a pose where it's tunneling through the base on like a knight base instead of posing like a cobra so you can make it look loving huge by pretending a big chunk of it is underground.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Apparently folks are working on a standardized list format to help with data mining.

Also something about making 40K a pro sport.

After NoVA, Shadow Daishi and I grabbed a bite next to the BCP guys and talked with them a while about the app and some of the dificulties. Their biggest challenge is that lists are submitted as images, and may be scrabbled on napkins. They know the data that BolS reports on is bad, but that's just the easiest stuff to get. I'd love to see more regular datasets for use on this. Will be great for helping identify balance issues.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
There’s a ton of Epic 40k bugs they could scale up to 28mm for superheavies. I’d like something like the Hydraphant, a giant bug with basically a bunch of volcano cannons glued together. There’s already plenty of big models with poor shooting and average melee, gimme my shadowsword on legs.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheChirurgeon posted:

After NoVA, Shadow Daishi and I grabbed a bite next to the BCP guys and talked with them a while about the app and some of the dificulties. Their biggest challenge is that lists are submitted as images, and may be scrabbled on napkins. They know the data that BolS reports on is bad, but that's just the easiest stuff to get. I'd love to see more regular datasets for use on this. Will be great for helping identify balance issues.

I wonder what would happen if someone created a website that required manual entry of the data, but produced a standardized format with the aid of a web link.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I wonder what would happen if someone created a website that required manual entry of the data, but produced a standardized format with the aid of a web link.

as usual, most of these problems could be solved with an offical army builder app

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheChirurgeon posted:

as usual, most of these problems could be solved with an offical army builder app

I don't have a lot of faith in GW to actually pull off such a thing without it being a total disaster.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
This is apparently a controversial opinion but I think that the tyranid range is pretty complete

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I don't have a lot of faith in GW to actually pull off such a thing without it being a total disaster.

Supposedly the AoS one is pretty good.

Eifert Posting posted:

This is apparently a controversial opinion but I think that the tyranid range is pretty complete

Aren't Lictors still finecast?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eifert Posting posted:

They should have a Knight-sized monster

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Death guard and associate demons have been such a hoot to paint. As long as you think of gw deathpunk/chaos as being colorful (bile, mushrooms, tenticles, rot, purification, toxin, swirling fel flames, insects etc...) you can use your whole pallet and so many different techniques.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Guy Goodbody posted:

They should have a Knight-sized monster

I know you mean statwise but

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

MasterSlowPoke posted:

That's "knight size" the same way a Guardsman is Primaris Aggressor sized.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Supposedly the AoS one is pretty good.

The AoS app is very good but the way you build armies is also very different and much more straightforward. A 40k app will be much harder to produce in similar quality, though I am hopeful GW can pull it off.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The Trygon is way, way smaller than a Knight, even if it's also, as your picture shows, shorter than a Knight

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Despite their size Trygons are actually the wimpiest of all the tyranid big monsters, at T6 instead of 7/8 like everyone else.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I found a cool design for a counter, and adjusted it for some Warhammer iconography. I like a lot of what I'm getting out of these, but they need a ton more polish. I plan to get a few more stain or wood colors to get these to better visually pop, I need to sand the sides to make them uniform, the sword isn't working as-is (there isn't enough for it to stick onto), I need to figure out how to make the white specs not happen, and I want to replace the numbers with a more fitting font for Warhammer.

#2, on a different material that's half as thick. I need to adjust the etching to go deeper with this material.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That's cool as gently caress and I would pay good money for a T'au one.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So Inquisition and Rogue Trader question: they can embark on any transport (subject to the usual rules: no non-Primaris in a Repulsor, no Terminators in a Rhino) but the transport has to come from somewhere, right? What I mean is that you can't just buy a Rhino for the RT Patrol or the =][= Vanguard, you would need to have an additional detachment from an army capable of taking that Rhino (Deathwatch or Sisters or whatever), right?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Schadenboner posted:

So Inquisition and Rogue Trader question: they can embark on any transport (subject to the usual rules: no non-Primaris in a Repulsor, no Terminators in a Rhino) but the transport has to come from somewhere, right? What I mean is that you can't just buy a Rhino for the RT Patrol or the =][= Vanguard, you would need to have an additional detachment from an army capable of taking that Rhino (Deathwatch or Sisters or whatever), right?

Why does it matter as you never play the game?

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Only Inquisitors and the Acolytes (:rip: henchmen) have the keyword, neither have a dedicated transport (in fact there's none in the entire Inquisition section of I:Imperium 2) so I read it that you have to take a detachment of Imperial/Adeptus X to have them in your list.

Fake Edit: I don't play either so take the above with a grain of salt.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Badablack posted:

Despite their size Trygons are actually the wimpiest of all the tyranid big monsters, at T6 instead of 7/8 like everyone else.
To be fair, Trygons are around half the points of a Knight and more than capable of taking a chunk out of one if you get the charge in first. I hope with the recent tactical reserves changes Trygons see a bit a price cut in Chapter Approved though, since their main schtick is attacking from reserve.

Badablack posted:

There’s a ton of Epic 40k bugs they could scale up to 28mm for superheavies. I’d like something like the Hydraphant, a giant bug with basically a bunch of volcano cannons glued together. There’s already plenty of big models with poor shooting and average melee, gimme my shadowsword on legs.

Eifert Posting posted:

Part of the problem is that the Tyranids got one of the first waves of LoW models. Since then the game has seen a fair increase in scale, leaving the FW models looking really dated. Hierodules are more akin to a Land Raider than a Knight/Baneblade. Hierophants look more like a Warhound titan on the table than the Reaver/Warlord scale they should be at, although they did get decent rules / weapons for 8E at last. Dire bio-cannons are nasty and pretty comparable to a volcano cannon already.

Replacing Hierodules with a slightly bigger plastic kit (basically Primaris them) would be a cool solution without needing to bloat the range with more redundant options. Which is why GW won't do it, and I'm sure the next Tyranid release will instead be four different variants of Lictor with no clear role & another MC with an overlapping role, probably based on the Dactylis.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Liquid Cannibalism posted:

Oh no, people who are hyped for a heavily previewed and pushed by GW's community team refresh of an army they play expected to get releases actually in the announced month.

How terrible of them.

They’re problem for hyping it up and building up an image of 300 new kits after hearing just “orktober”

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I love Trygons, but they're just not viable right now. They really need +1 to both strength and toughness. Against a knight they're likely to get a single attack that both hits and wounds. You're gonna knock a d6 off health off that knight, and then the Trygon is almost certainly going to die when the knight fights back. Or at least be knocked down to a 5+ ws.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Schadenboner posted:

Technically yes. It didnt used to matter because since inquisition doesnt have their version of chapter tactics yet, it didnt matter if you threw some other armies transport in.
Now you cant use IMPERIUM as a battleforged keyword so they basically have to freeload off another army's.
Jesus we need an imperial agents mini dex already.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Master Twig posted:

I love Trygons, but they're just not viable right now. They really need +1 to both strength and toughness. Against a knight they're likely to get a single attack that both hits and wounds. You're gonna knock a d6 off health off that knight, and then the Trygon is almost certainly going to die when the knight fights back. Or at least be knocked down to a 5+ ws.

Yep, especially with the changes over time to reserves the model needs a rethink. Thankfully there’s enough viable Heavy Support models without it, but it’s a bit disappointing considering how cool the kit is. Then again Trygons have never been “good,” just fun.

Considering how decent Tyranid are sitting compared to some other armies, I can’t complain too much (maybe the Chapter Approved 2018 will offer some tweaks, at least to points). We do need an answer for Knights though.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

PierreTheMime posted:

We do need an answer for Knights though.

They should just do Legion from Gamera 2 Attack of the Legion

And it should be bigger than a Knight, as big to a Knight as Legion was to Gamera

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Since 8E my primary use for Trygons was to drop shitloads of devguants near some vulnerable target. Anything they killed afterwards was gravy.

As stat changes are unlikely I'd be happy with a modest points cut so you can simply outnumber Knights with them. Their main weakness for me was simply being too easily killed relative to their value. If they made it to combat they always did good work (even against knights), especially with Voracious Appetite. I have three Trygons all carefully modelled in different poses, so it would be cool to field them for the same cost as one of the bigger knights and just go threat overload.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Yep. A 40-60pt drop would be an okay option. Relative to Carnifices they don’t offer that much more for a lot more points.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Can someone link me to a site or two that sells chapter/army specific battle gauges, counters, and dice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

TheBigAristotle posted:

Can someone link me to a site or two that sells chapter/army specific battle gauges, counters, and dice?

https://hexy.store/44-markers-tokens

PierreTheMime posted:

Yep. A 40-60pt drop would be an okay option. Relative to Carnifices they don’t offer that much more for a lot more points.

Many if not most units with deepstrike need a points drop after April's nerf. The Trygon and Terminators are the stand outs for "ouch". Probably no coincidence that they're also both classic deep strike units.