Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Arivia posted:

Technically there are other uses for pens beyond bullet journaling. WHAT THEY ARE I DON'T KNOW, but they do apparently exist.

Once upon a time I worked in bureaucracy. SO MUCH LITERAL PAPERWORK.

Barely touched my fountain pens since, except for the occasional effort Christmas cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Not that it's relevant but true story, I'm an inveterate pen nerd who probably owns or has owned 100 different pens from 10/$1 papermate sticks to a $120 fountain pen. The extreme high end pens are cool for the novelty and :smug: value, but the fact is that for everyday writing that feels good and looks good, the world's best pen is the relatively humble Uniball 207 gel pen, bold point, that Staples sells for usually 5 pens for 7 or 8 bucks.

OK I'll stop interrupting our regularly scheduled keyboardnerding with pen commercials.

You know we have a fountain pen thread? $120 is scrub tier pen dollars.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531265&pagenumber=272&perpage=40

I'm into vintage pens and restoration myself.

We also just did the first ever round of Goon Pen Pals.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Megabound posted:

You know we have a fountain pen thread? $120 is scrub tier pen dollars.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531265&pagenumber=272&perpage=40

I'm into vintage pens and restoration myself.

We also just did the first ever round of Goon Pen Pals.

Yeah I have a 350 dollar FP and the rabbit hole goes way way further than that with fancy paper, ink, and reallllly pricey pens.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Keyboard thread people, we can't let ourselves get styled on by this penchat! Who among you has a $1,000 Hall effect keyboard and is ready to defend our honor?

mewse
May 2, 2006

HAmbONE posted:

Thank you guys for your response

edit: Going with the https://www.amazon.ca/Redragon-K552...g%2Bkeyboard%2B(black&th=1

I was half joking with my suggestion, please report back on how tank-like it is when it arrives

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

VostokProgram posted:

Keyboard thread people, we can't let ourselves get styled on by this penchat! Who among you has a $1,000 Hall effect keyboard and is ready to defend our honor?

I have a $110 hall effect keyboard but I have no honor to defend.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

My Race3 arrived and holy gently caress I'm in love with the design:

I find I don't like a keyboard flat with DSA profile keys. Fortunately this came with optional feet:

Requisite included colour mods, though I have to say I quite liked the uniform default:

I know we're a thread of keyboard nerds, but I never expected to be actually excited for a keyboard hah. Also it runs on the Pok3r firmware.

I don't know how usable I'll find it, but I'm really looking forward to giving it a try. I love how DSA caps look, but I'm not 100% sold on them functionally ... been using them on my TKL at home for a couple weeks. Another bonus, the Race3 fits into my 60% cases.

edit: had some glitchy/missing stuff, but the new firmware here fixed it (New 75 firmware update_V1.02.03): http://www.vortexgear.tw/vortex3.asp

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 26, 2017

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.
I had a hard time talking myself into spending this much on keycaps but hot drat these ones from KBDFans are incredible: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MAXKEY-O-B-ABS-SA-profile-keycaps/32822910860.html

The keyboard's a QuickFire Rapid

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Nice.

I have reached keycap saturation. Honestly.

But I could be convinced if I spot something that accommodates the Race3's weird non-standard ones.

I could have made those Godspeed ones work, but good grief it added up fast with all the special mods necessary.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Bought a Havit low profile mechanical keyboard with Kale? Blue switches. I honestly love it as a board for my laptop set up. Feels like mechanical laptop switches if that makes any sense. Also, only $60.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I just picked up a Magicforce 68 since I wanted a 60% but wanted arrow keys too. It's super good.

Are keycaps, uh, "standard"? Like, could I basically pick up any set of caps and assume they'll work?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

They need to be Cherry MX compatible with that keyboard. The vast majority of custom keycap sets are.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Is there a way to tell if the spacebar will fit? Is it based on how many keywidths it is?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Sure is.

Quick Google: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/40nagb/help_what_are_the_modifier_sizes_on_a/

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Constellation I posted:

The Maxkey Miami Nights came in. The end of the era of SHIF T and BACK SPACE.

Had I seen this I would've jumped on it hardcore, that's almost perfect.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Alright, I've been struggling to come up with a solution to this first world problem, and I'm hoping somebody here will have an idea.

Bought a Pok3r (I swear I've said that like 6 times in this thread now). I'm wanting to replace the caps on it. I know exactly what I want and haven't been able to find it. I could reach out to Signature Plastics and have them do a custom run, and bankrupt myself doing it. Doesn't seem like a great option. I bought http://www.geekkeys.com/holyoops-d-va-aluminum-keycap-purple/ to use as my Esc key, and want to outfit the rest of the board to match. Ideally, all the non 1u keys in the pink, and all the rest (modifiers and pipe) in the purple/blue, with the text on all caps either in the opposite color or a gray/off-white. Wanting OEM profile, cylindrical keys, preferably PBT, and if at all possible printed with the standard Pok3r layout on the fronts of the caps.

Yes, I realize this is some pie in the sky poo poo. I've spent hours looking through every keycap seller's website that I can come up with (including looking at doing a custom ABS run through WASD, but they don't have the colors), and the best I've found would be to reach out to Tai-Hao and buy a couple different sets of keys from them and mix to get approximately what I'm looking for. If anybody's got a better answer, though, I'm all for hearing it. :)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My keycaps finally came :3:

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.
Those caps are amazing. Where did you get them from?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Jowj posted:

Those caps are amazing. Where did you get them from?

Massdrop!

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/44061

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

My keycaps finally came :3:

So did I :swoon:

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Weeb keebs represent lol

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

Constellation I posted:

Weeb keebs represent lol

What's that second keyboard?

I've been looking for a good 75% like that, but haven't wanted to settle for a Vortex Race 3 and its weird-rear end escape/delete keys.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

FWIW I don't feel like the Race 3 is settling ... I find it such a joy to use.

The one personal quirk I've noticed though is that I keep hitting delete when I mean to hit backspace because of the relative position. Just how it's mapped in my brain. Adapting though.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

Karsh posted:

What's that second keyboard?

I've been looking for a good 75% like that, but haven't wanted to settle for a Vortex Race 3 and its weird-rear end escape/delete keys.

Hey, it's a KBD75 from KBDfans https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/

Do it. Having a full aluminium board feels great.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
I just got my massdrop planck with the aluminum case. It is much better quality than I was expecting. Excellent fit and finish. Granted, the only thing I have to compare it to is my original planck with a bent steel case and the aluminum pok3r case that is on that.

Constellation I posted:

Hey, it's a KBD75 from KBDfans https://kbdfans.myshopify.com/

Do it. Having a full aluminium board feels great.

Also, I want that drat hex case even though I have nothing to put in it.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Any of y'all nerds know of a keyboard that fits the following criteria:

- TKL
- Blues
- No RGB poo poo
- Reasonable build quality
- Available shipped to Denmark for 1000 DKK or less (£~120/$~160 or so, Amazon UK is probably fine)
- Optionally, media keys

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ducky-Channel-Cherry-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B01E0HTI8S/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1507024203&sr=8-4&keywords=ducky++tkl

How's that look? It has blue RGBs which are probably the least offensive way to get backlighting. Backlighting is optional

Chamook
Nov 17, 2006

wheeeeeeeeeeeeee
Proshop have this Cooler Master KB for 700ish. I have the CM Rapid with blues at home and the build quality seems fine, apart from some of the LEDs dying.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Instant Grat posted:

- TKL
- Blues
- No RGB poo poo
- Available shipped to Denmark for 1000 DKK or less (£~120/$~160 or so, Amazon UK is probably fine)
- Optionally, media keys

Strict TKL, or would a 60% work? Pok3r meets those requirements if you can do a 60%.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe

Instant Grat posted:

- TKL
- Blues
- No RGB poo poo
- Optionally, media keys
I can recommend the Matias Tactile Pro from The Keyboard Company, it uses a really nice clicky tactile switch which I like better than blues.
Alternatively, you could try some of the ones from MyKeyboard.
Leopold are a solid brand, around the top end of your range.

Naar fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Oct 3, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Is there any ergonomic split keyboard which is as comfortable as the MS Natural 4k, but with better keys?

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Guess what arrived in the mail? New Ducky Year of The Rooster with blue switches (). I'm using some stock photos of it because my phone is terrible and all of my photos were.

`

I'm a huge ceramics nerd, so this little emblem brings me a lot of joy. It's also gorgeous in real life. Lots of small details, and its shimmer is great.

The fully lit photos don't show it, but this thing is awesome when fully backlit. The spacebar is amazing IRL as it absorbs multiple colors from all of the neighboring keys.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Chamook posted:

Proshop have this Cooler Master KB for 700ish. I have the CM Rapid with blues at home and the build quality seems fine, apart from some of the LEDs dying.

That looks just about perfect - thanks!

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
I'm pretty new to mechanical keyboards, but I found the SA Dasher set and it looks really good. Do these things usually only get sold on massdrop? Is there a secondary market I can pick up a set on?

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

clamiam45 posted:

I'm pretty new to mechanical keyboards, but I found the SA Dasher set and it looks really good. Do these things usually only get sold on massdrop? Is there a secondary market I can pick up a set on?

drat those look nice.

There's a good chance they'll show up on massdrop again but who knows when.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
AFAIK I know there's a big long queue of orders for Signature Plastics which does most of the sets we see. Geekhack and wherever the Reddit keyboard people hang out do a lot of group buys as well. Lately it seems like Maxkey have taken up the slack as well.

Anyway I'm hoping to get my Canvas set by the end of the month. My god, no other thing I've done has made me think about my mortality more than ordering custom keycaps.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

clamiam45 posted:

There's a secondary market on reddit, r/mechmarket. Be warned though, you'll probably end up paying almost double the price for some of these SA sets.

As for if this is going to come back on Massdrop, it's highly unlikely, and if it will, it'll most likely be a year or two from now (and shipping almost that long after that) Best case here is getting this used or if someone initiates a group buy with a China clone of these keycaps through MaxKey.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Constellation I posted:

Best case here is getting this used or if someone initiates a group buy with a China clone of these keycaps through MaxKey.

I was all ready to say SP was Chinese (which is what I thought), then I checked their website and saw they were "A leading, family-owned U.S. manufacturer of custom keycaps." Does that mean they're manufacturing in the States, though, or just that the company's owned by an American family?

I'm also left wondering how much of their work is keyboard weirdos like us and how much is industrial products. Making keys for phones/burglar alarms/F-35s/etc. has got to be worth more money than a niche hobby market, but a surprising amount of their website is dedicated to mechanical kb dorkery.

Keyboard Megathread - Kill Time Waiting for KBs by Stalking Manufacturers

mewse
May 2, 2006

pgroce posted:

I was all ready to say SP was Chinese (which is what I thought), then I checked their website and saw they were "A leading, family-owned U.S. manufacturer of custom keycaps." Does that mean they're manufacturing in the States, though, or just that the company's owned by an American family?

I'm also left wondering how much of their work is keyboard weirdos like us and how much is industrial products. Making keys for phones/burglar alarms/F-35s/etc. has got to be worth more money than a niche hobby market, but a surprising amount of their website is dedicated to mechanical kb dorkery.

I started poking around their website too and came across this

quote:

We currently have 148 ABS colors and 107 PBT colors to choose from and the resources to color match nearly any custom color for a fee. Color rings containing all of our standard colors can be purchased on our eCommerce site, https://www.pimpmykeyboard.com.

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

pgroce posted:

As far as I know, most of their business is based in the US. From what I remember, the custom keycaps for the keyboard enthusiast community is a drop in the bucket compared to their usual business. This is also probably why group buys from the mechkb community are far down the priority in their production queue.

You shouldn't really base their company on the pimpmykeyboard.com website. That's mostly something they put up specifically the consumer portal / front-end for the mech KB community and not for their actual business.