Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Craig Charles was on Coronation Street for many years - quite jarring to see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Pentaro posted:

They did the same in Titus with Cynthia Watros' pregnancy... except for one scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoMSVdrOvJ8

Oh man I think How I Met Your Mother did the same thing even, except with a hot dog eating contest
And then the actress left for her maternal leave and they justified it by explaining that her character didn’t hang out with any of the main cast for six-ish episodes because one of them told her an extremely vulgar joke that chased her off

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

SiKboy posted:

Honestly I do really like early red dwarf, but I do feel the show dynamic improved when they added Kryten as a regular. As much as Season 1 and 2 have some legitimately great episodes, I'd still argue that Red Dwarf was at its best from Season 3-6 inclusive. As for the revival stuff, well I'm glad that the actors who were in a show I loved when I was young are still getting paid.

I always thought the very first episode of Red Dwarf was the best. It didn't have the funniest jokes, but it did such a good job of setting up the rest of the show. The first episode of Futurama was the same.

While we're on Red Dwarf, I think I would have preferred to have never seen the behind the scenes interviews. Craig Charles comes across as such a tosser.

open24hours has a new favorite as of 12:02 on Oct 22, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

open24hours posted:

I always thought the very first episode of Red Dwarf was the best. It didn't have the funniest jokes, but it did such a good job of setting up the rest of the show.
It does have one of the best scenes/jokes of the entire series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shs7VQhVvxA

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Can I stream Red Dwarf anywhere?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

open24hours posted:

While we're on Red Dwarf, I think would have preferred to have never seen the behind the scenes interviews. Craig Charles comes across as such a tosser.

quote:

'I hadn't touched cocaine for more than ten years... I just drifted back into it when I started to do Coronation Street,' he told the Guardian.

He blamed the death of his father and the bitterness he felt after being accused of rape in 1995 for turning to crack.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I want to do crack and more when I see Corrie for two seconds while channel surfing, I can't blame the bloke for that appearing in it being the straw that broke the camel's back.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Early Red Dwarf was such a better show than later.

I can't quote chapter and verse of the early years but I loved Cat running around spraying his scent on things saying "this is mine, this is mine, ooh, and this is mine!" As a cat owner, that was hilarious (our brain worms make us easy to please)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

open24hours posted:

While we're on Red Dwarf, I think would have preferred to have never seen the behind the scenes interviews. Craig Charles comes across as such a tosser.

I listen to his 6Music show and he comes across as an okay guy on that. That said, don't know when those interviews were recorded (haven't seen them) and he's been doing his show for 15 years by now, so maybe he's mellowed out. :shrug:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I listen to his 6Music show and he comes across as an okay guy on that. That said, don't know when those interviews were recorded (haven't seen them) and he's been doing his show for 15 years by now, so maybe he's mellowed out. :shrug:

He admits that he's mellowed out and was a bit of an angry young man when he first started Red Dwarf - which was why he and Barrie hated each other for the first few series.

I wonder if that helped the dynamic of the show, having the actors have the same cotempt for each other as the characters did.

And Danny JJ is the Cat in real life.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

spog posted:

He admits that he's mellowed out and was a bit of an angry young man when he first started Red Dwarf - which was why he and Barrie hated each other for the first few series.

I believe part of the reason for that was that he (and probably Danny John-Jules and Norman Lovett) were being paid £600 per episode while Barrie, who was the "real actor" in the cast, got £1,200.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Len posted:

Can I stream Red Dwarf anywhere?

It's on Amazon Video, but if you're outside the UK you'll have to pay $7 a month for BritBox access.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I think the worst handling of a real-life pregnancy was the Frasier plotline where Daphne gets fat.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I think the worst handling of a real-life pregnancy was the Frasier plotline where Daphne gets fat.

I thought it was the best, at a time where they either wrote in a maudlin pregnancy or just hid the actress under bulk and props. Daphne got fat because of a feeling of inadequacy vis a vis her relationship with Niles and the show explored that over several episodes until she was sent to a fat spa/shipped off to maternity leave and there were still repercussions after that

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Calaveron posted:

I thought it was the best, at a time where they either wrote in a maudlin pregnancy or just hid the actress under bulk and props. Daphne got fat because of a feeling of inadequacy vis a vis her relationship with Niles and the show explored that over several episodes until she was sent to a fat spa/shipped off to maternity leave and there were still repercussions after that
In Mad Men everyone believes that Peggy is fat and when it turns out that she was pregnant and gave birth everyone thinks that the reason she "lost weight" is because she went to fat camp.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Watching Dr Who relaunch for first time. Overall enjoying it (near end of series 3), but holy hell the Daleks are the worst recurring villain. Worst than TNG Ferengi, as at least those guys didn’t keep having two parters. Screechy, dull, and with idiotic storylines. Although I do like the Cybermen, and the one Weeping Angel episode was fantastic.

For a show that aged well, Superman the Animated Series. I hadn’t watched seen it aired, it’s got excellent animation, fun stories, and I forgot the voice acting was so stacked. Brad Garrett, Clancy Brown, Ernie Hudson, Lisa Edelstein... great stuff.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Magic Hate Ball posted:

On the other hand, on Married...with children, Katey Sagal was pregnant and they wrote it onto the beginning of season six. They made Marcy pregnant, too. Then Sagal's baby was stillborn. They wrote off the first half of the season as a dream of Al's even wiping out Marcy's pregnancy. When Sagal became pregnant again in a later season, they sent her off to Wanker County.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Craig Charles' live DJ sets are great

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

Mister Kingdom posted:

On the other hand, on Married...with children, Katey Sagal was pregnant and they wrote it onto the beginning of season six. They made Marcy pregnant, too. Then Sagal's baby was stillborn. They wrote off the first half of the season as a dream of Al's even wiping out Marcy's pregnancy. When Sagal became pregnant again in a later season, they sent her off to Wanker County.

If we're talking cruel curveballs thrown at a popular sitcom mid-season, I think 8 Simple Rules will always win.

FreeMars
Mar 22, 2011
'splain how

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Watching Dr Who relaunch for first time. Overall enjoying it (near end of series 3), but holy hell the Daleks are the worst recurring villain. Worst than TNG Ferengi, as at least those guys didn’t keep having two parters. Screechy, dull, and with idiotic storylines. Although I do like the Cybermen, and the one Weeping Angel episode was fantastic.

Hey now, the Ferengi brought us Armin Shimerman as Quark for DS9, and anything that puts more Armin on screen is good stuff.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

FreeMars posted:

'splain how

Dude died.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

FreeMars posted:

'splain how

John Ritter, the star of the show, suffered an aortic dissection while filming the second season and died during surgery to repair it. The show continued but sort of fell apart without him (it didn't help that the showrunner also quit after the second season).

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Specifically, its name was changed and ran for one and a half seasons without the star :lol:

Fantastic Flyer has a new favorite as of 02:57 on Oct 23, 2017

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

For a show that aged well, Superman the Animated Series. I hadn’t watched seen it aired, it’s got excellent animation, fun stories, and I forgot the voice acting was so stacked. Brad Garrett, Clancy Brown, Ernie Hudson, Lisa Edelstein... great stuff.

STAS is why I'm always confused when people complain about how boring and bad Superman is "because he's invincible" or whatever.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

knife_of_justice posted:

If we're talking cruel curveballs thrown at a popular sitcom mid-season, I think 8 Simple Rules will always win.

Which also starred Katey Sagal.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Hyrax Attack! posted:

While it clashes with both the original intent and the actual plot, I always love when they just make the Daleks silly and adorable. They really could have improved them by downgrading their importance from "pee your pants terrifying" to "really? these guys again?"

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

Mister Kingdom posted:

Which also starred Katey Sagal.

Wow. She looked younger in 8 Simple Rules than Peggy Bundy did in 1987.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

dirksteadfast posted:

While it clashes with both the original intent and the actual plot, I always love when they just make the Daleks silly and adorable. They really could have improved them by downgrading their importance from "pee your pants terrifying" to "really? these guys again?"

I liked the episode where the Daleks and Cybermen are initially working together but inevitably betray each other:

"You would declare war on the Cybermen? :geno:"
"THIS IS NOT WAR! THIS IS PEST CONTROL! :byodood:"

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The Dalek two-parters are infuriating because they always seem like they're on the cusp of being interesting but never quite get there. And jeez, the voice.

Cybermen on the other hand always strike me as pretty dumb looking and then surprising me with how decent their episodes are. Some of them are kind of chilling.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

knife_of_justice posted:

Wow. She looked younger in 8 Simple Rules than Peggy Bundy did in 1987.

I haven't seen her in 8 simple rules but that very much sounds like a conscious decision on wardrobe and makeup.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BioEnchanted posted:

"We have five million Cybermen. How many are you?"
"Four."
"You would destroy the Cybermen with four Daleks?"
"We could destroy the Cybermen with one Dalek!"

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Wheat Loaf posted:

"Four."

"WE ADMIT THE CYBERMENT ARE SUPERIOR IN ONE RESPECT"
"What is that?"
"YOU ARE BETTER AT DYING"

Bitchy dalek best dalek.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

John Murdoch posted:

STAS is why I'm always confused when people complain about how boring and bad Superman is "because he's invincible" or whatever.

Yeah it’s my favorite version of the character. I like how from episode one he’s in the costume, in Metropolis, and all the core characters are there. No teenage years, the military isn’t trying to arrest him, just great stories. A few duds here and there (Lobo is Mr. Early 90s edginess) but snagging Malcolm McDowell as Metallo and Michael Ironside as Darkside more than make up for it.

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked the episode where the Daleks and Cybermen are initially working together but inevitably betray each other:

Haha yeah that’s their one good episode. When the Daleks were trying to weld metal to the top of the Empire State Building with a pig army was garbage. Stop threatening to murder Great Depression workers to get them to toil faster, just pay them more. Although that episode did have young Andrew Garfield.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

SiKboy posted:

"WE ADMIT THE CYBERMENT ARE SUPERIOR IN ONE RESPECT"
"What is that?"
"YOU ARE BETTER AT DYING"

Bitchy dalek best dalek.

The Dalek sass was just the best.

Still prefer the Eccleston Doctor though.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Wheat Loaf posted:

"Four."

"You are superior in only one respect."
"What is that?"
"You are better at dying."

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Fantastic Flyer posted:

Specifically, it's name was changed and ran for one and a half seasons without the star :lol:

The family of John Ritter must have been pissed about how it was handled. The Dad dies off screen, they do a couple of sad episodes, then replace him with a kooky cousin played by David Spade and a grumpy grandpa. Other than a few sappy moments, the Dad isn’t mentioned again.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

There’s a persistent rumor that a contractual clause between Terry Nation’s estate and the BBC requires the BBC to use the Daleks once a season or else the rights for them will revert back to the Nation estate.

Personally I think that’s bunk and that the producers just love to run a good villain into the ground by overuse. (See also: every Weeping Angel episode after “Blink.”)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

How many episodes end with the last of the Daleks being destroyed?