Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

exquisite tea posted:

Julie Taymor's Titus is a masterpiece and still probably my favorite film adaptation of a Shakespeare play. Beautiful visuals, incredible cast, supremely violent and darkly funny all at the same time. The way any good Shakespeare tragedy film should be.

I had to go back and watch the pie scene, and the shot of the pies cooling in the window, curtains billowing and Vivere kicks in is easily one of my favorites film moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

The best joke in 10 Things I Hate About You is that one of the cliques at the school is The Cowboys in a bunch of scenes there's just some random extras in the background doing cowboy stuff like lasso tricks and it's barely commented upon by anyone.

10/10 cinematic masterpiece

According to my dad there was cowboy clique at his highschool in Arizona in the 60s, but even then it was sort of on its way out.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Pretty sure a high school in the 60s in Arizona had a cowboy clique because, well, it was actually a thing.

The high school I graduated from had a Future Farmers of America chapter, all who wore the blue jacket with a big logo on the back. Smallish city in the middle of Texas, so it was more of a career option than a fashion statement.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Imagine my surprise when I learned that some high schools don't have "Take Your Tractor to School" days. Insanity.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

MrUnderbridge posted:

Pretty sure a high school in the 60s in Arizona had a cowboy clique because, well, it was actually a thing.

The high school I graduated from had a Future Farmers of America chapter, all who wore the blue jacket with a big logo on the back. Smallish city in the middle of Texas, so it was more of a career option than a fashion statement.

Maybe so, in this case it was wannabe movie cowboys though, at least according to my 50 year old second hand info.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

The Moon Monster posted:

Maybe so, in this case it was wannabe movie cowboys though, at least according to my 50 year old second hand info.

So sorta like how Doc dresses Marty in what he thinks a cowboy would wear before sending him back to the old west in the third Back to the Future movie?

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Desert Bus posted:

Imagine my surprise when I learned that some high schools don't have "Take Your Tractor to School" days. Insanity.

There was always one kid who would drive a riding lawnmower to school on those days. They would spend the whole day complaining that they had to start driving at 2 am in order to get to school on time.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Every other American film and TV show was a western for like 50 years.

The first westerns were even made contemporary with actual stagecoach robberies and gunslinging.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I wonder which came first, samurai movies or westerns?
Theres definetly a Lensman anime movie, I used to have it on VHS somewhere. Because of course there is.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

DreadUnknown posted:

Theres definetly a Lensman anime movie, I used to have it on VHS somewhere. Because of course there is.

They were cranking out samurai silent films in the 20's. Probably the same for westerns. Sergio Leone and the spaghetti western genre credit Yojimbo as a jumping-off point, though.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

DreadUnknown posted:

Great Train Robbery came out in 1903

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Westerns might have the edge simply because motion picture tech was invented in the US. But in both cases it was pretty instantaneous.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Westerns as movies happened concurrent to Westerns as real life.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Guess that makes'em documentaries.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Toshimo posted:

They were cranking out samurai silent films in the 20's. Probably the same for westerns. Sergio Leone and the spaghetti western genre credit Yojimbo as a jumping-off point, though.
And Yojimbo was based on Dashiell Hammet

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Casnorf posted:

Just like film noir movies happened concurrent to film noir in real life.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Only thing I know about Fu Man Chu is Vastle of Fu Man Chu is the worst movie MST3K ever did. Worse than Manos and Monster a gogo

It looks like poo poo and gun to my head, I cannot tell you waht the gently caress is happening.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Casnorf posted:

Yeah, Wyatt Earp ended up in Hollywood consulting on movies.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Some of the earliest films ever made (circa 1894) are just documents of performers from Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

my point, dumb and shitposty as it is, is that samurai predate film, while westerns kind of defined film as a medium to some extent so if you're gonna chicken-and-egg this thing i tend to fall on the side of western omelettes

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The first Jesse James movie was made in 1921 starred his son Jessie James jr. using his dad's actual guns as props.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Much like how lots of western animations was inspired by anime which was inspired by Disney the answer to “who ripped off who” is often “yes”

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Just like film noir movies happened concurrent to film noir in real life.

And also 80s sex comedies happened concurrent to horrific outbreaks of date-rape and misogyny :(

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

https://imgur.com/gallery/3xE5pYw

quote:

Elementary librarian here. I was weeding my picture books & came across this doozie!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Casnorf posted:

And it’s not a small overlap. First western was arguably 1903’s Great Train Robbery.

The Indian Wars didn’t end till 1924.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Wow, that's aged badly in several senses of the word. Not only is there the whole Bill Cosby thing, it's arguably no longer even about what Bill Cosby would call the worst day of his life.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

http://1900hotdog.com/2021/06/loving-day-ally-mcbeals-rear end-cpr-episode-%f0%9f%8c%ad/

The website by Seanbaby and other former Cracked writers did an article today about an Ally McBeal episode that didn’t age well about fat people

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Wow, that's aged badly in several senses of the word. Not only is there the whole Bill Cosby thing, it's arguably no longer even about what Bill Cosby would call the worst day of his life.

Any autographical book for young children titled "The worst day of my life" without the plot element mentioned on the cover as an advisory was probably surpassed by some event in the author's life within months after the events that were described.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

bobjr posted:

http://1900hotdog.com/2021/06/loving-day-ally-mcbeals-rear end-cpr-episode-%f0%9f%8c%ad/

The website by Seanbaby and other former Cracked writers did an article today about an Ally McBeal episode that didn’t age well about fat people

I used to love Seanbaby, back from EGM days. Is the Patreon worth checking out?

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

I give $5 a month. If you like the humor (and supporting SB & Friends in general) it's a good bargain. The quality will vary (and Seanbaby is the best of the bunch) but it's a ton of content for the money

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I used to love Seanbaby, back from EGM days. Is the Patreon worth checking out?

Seanbaby's still good, and most of the guest writers are alright, I just find Brockway's stuff... I dunno, unfinished. His articles always feel like they need someone to come in and refine or add punchlines. YMMV.

Sunswipe has a new favorite as of 21:50 on Jun 7, 2021

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

bobjr posted:

Who even makes a comedy scene around giving someone CPR to begin with? If you've ever had to give someone CPR, you wouldn't find anything funny about it. More like "oh god I'm hoping against hope that this person will come back to life." One of the worst loving things you can ever have to do.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Sucrose posted:

Who even makes a comedy scene around giving someone CPR to begin with? If you've ever had to give someone CPR, you wouldn't find anything funny about it. More like "oh god I'm hoping against hope that this person will come back to life." One of the worst loving things you can ever have to do.

The Sandlot?

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Toshimo posted:

The Sandlot?

Well, it's the right thread for that scene at least.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

kupachek posted:

Well, it's the right thread for that scene at least.

I was going to say, “but he got slapped for it and they all got banned from the pool!”, but then remembered that the ending says that he and the lifeguard got married later in life?

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Nottherealaborn posted:

I was going to say, “but he got slapped for it and they all got banned from the pool!”, but then remembered that the ending says that he and the lifeguard got married later in life?

And had nine kids.

So it worked out for them.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sucrose posted:

Hacky CPR comedy scenes are super common because you're totally, like, making out with the person. Grody! Sometimes part of the joke is the person doesn't actually need CPR.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Want to see a person fake needing CPR and then get their rib cage flattened out.

And then not even get the "making out" cause rescue breaths are only resorted to when enough time has passed that the oxygen in your blood is likely depleted.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MariusLecter posted:

Want to see a person fake needing CPR and then get their rib cage flattened out.

And then not even get the "making out" cause rescue breaths are only resorted to when enough time has passed that the oxygen in your blood is likely depleted.

Rescue breaths suck and are often worse than doing nothing because most people will overinflate the patient’s lungs and the increased chest pressure makes the compressions less effective. Not worth it for the little benefit a bunch of 16 percent O2 gives when the person’s brain is in low power mode anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Ally McBeal was one of the things that convinced me to become bulimic as a kid. Not the only thing, but it certainly made strong arguments that an eating disorder would be a good idea.
Absolutely toxic show.