Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

euro keyboards don't count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
do people actually use their laptops on the go

bluetooth keyboard + laptop stand at home is so much nicer

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I used a black marker to color the LED indicator on the caps lock key so it doesn’t look like it’s always on

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
applecare trip report:

took my 2016 fuckbar keyboard MBP to the mac store because a bunch of keys were double-registering and/or not-registering, also the trackpad sometimes got stuck because of ~*dUsT*~

first they tried to tell me that it was because I wasn't on weed sierra

then after I argued with them a bunch, they applecared it and replaced the logic board, which can't be disconnected from the keyboard

total repair price without applecare would have been $800

lappy works now, looking forward to having to do this bullshit again in 6 months after the keybaord dies

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Poopernickel posted:

applecare trip report:

took my 2016 fuckbar keyboard MBP to the mac store because a bunch of keys were double-registering and/or not-registering, also the trackpad sometimes got stuck because of ~*dUsT*~

first they tried to tell me that it was because I wasn't on weed sierra

then after I argued with them a bunch, they applecared it and replaced the logic board, which can't be disconnected from the keyboard

total repair price without applecare would have been $800

lappy works now, looking forward to having to do this bullshit again in 6 months after the keybaord dies

lol the trackpad also gets hosed from dust? how?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lmao. let me guess the logicboard is now tied to the chassis because ~*touch-id*~

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

infernal machines posted:

lmao. let me guess the logicboard is now tied to the chassis because ~*touch-id*~

I bet it has to do with the battery goo that gets injected into every free inch if the housing.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

cis autodrag posted:

I bet it has to do with the battery goo that gets injected into every free inch if the housing.

:wink:

Txt me.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
dustgate is real

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
That commercial is pretty revealing

"what's a computer?"

-Apple, 2017

yellow borders
Jan 7, 2010

Poopernickel posted:

replaced the logic board, which can't be disconnected from the keyboard

lmao

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
im always seeing tiny specks of dust wedged right around the edge of my 2017 mbp keys and a few specks inside getting lit up by the kb backlight. no issues yet, but it's doing me a concern

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

lol the trackpad also gets hosed from dust? how?

not sure if something was broken in there or what, but sometimes the trackpad wouldn't actuate any more (tap-to-click still worked)

shaking the computer like an orphan baby would usually fix it until the next time it got stuck

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

im always seeing tiny specks of dust wedged right around the edge of my 2017 mbp keys and a few specks inside getting lit up by the kb backlight. no issues yet, but it's doing me a concern

same

worst laptop ever inside the best laptop ever

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Poopernickel posted:

not sure if something was broken in there or what, but sometimes the trackpad wouldn't actuate any more (tap-to-click still worked)

shaking the computer like an orphan baby would usually fix it until the next time it got stuck

did you try the stupid canned air thing apple suggests?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnCqNH7V9R0

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

did you try punching yourself in the junk repeatedly in penitence for buying such a pos laptop instead of something that isn't destroyed by random particulate?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

this is gonna be pretty obscure but does anyone remember way way waaay back in like ‘06 GBS where there was a thread about going to mars and one poster just could not get over the fact that dust existed?

like he’d keep bumping in to every convo all ‘yeah that’s nice but too bad all the astronauts will be drowning in their own dust within months of landing.’ he just couldn’t wrap his head around the fact that we have things like ‘air filters’ or ‘cleaning up’

anyways this laptop has probably led to him being committed so gj apple

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

In truth, no

Although I'm p drat sure it wouldn't make any actual difference

Also I'm not gonna compressed-air my laptop, that has literally never been a thing on any laptop ever and im not gonna accept "you're using it wrong" from timb

Apple should reap the cost of dustgate

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Poopernickel posted:

In truth, no

Although I'm p drat sure it wouldn't make any actual difference

Also I'm not gonna compressed-air my laptop, that has literally never been a thing on any laptop ever and im not gonna accept "you're using it wrong" from timb

Apple should reap the cost of dustgate

agreed, im still sore that their cables always break. i noticed the included usb-c cable for power is super thicc, can't be a coincidence

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Yes, a cable uprated from 10W to 100W is thicker. You've cracked this case wide open.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Rex-Goliath posted:

this is gonna be pretty obscure but does anyone remember way way waaay back in like ‘06 GBS where there was a thread about going to mars and one poster just could not get over the fact that dust existed?

like he’d keep bumping in to every convo all ‘yeah that’s nice but too bad all the astronauts will be drowning in their own dust within months of landing.’ he just couldn’t wrap his head around the fact that we have things like ‘air filters’ or ‘cleaning up’

anyways this laptop has probably led to him being committed so gj apple

a fine observation

joking aside pls read

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn23505-toxic-mars-dust-could-hamper-planned-human-missions/

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 28, 2017

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Yes, a cable uprated from 10W to 100W is thicker. You've cracked this case wide open.

magsafe 2 cables are 85W. it's notably thicker and stiffer than those

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

magsafe 2 cables are 85W. it's notably thicker and stiffer than those

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Yes, a cable uprated from 85W to 100W is thicker. You've cracked this case wide open.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the included USBC cable is super thick because it is a full featured thunderbolt 3 cable. besides power it includes a 40 gbps cio link carrying USB 3, display port, and pcie. that multiplexing is done inside the connector, which is why they're so large

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Management posted:

the included USBC cable is super thick because it is a full featured thunderbolt 3 cable. besides power it includes a 40 gbps cio link carrying USB 3, display port, and pcie right into your power socket

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

I use mine to connect to my 5k display where it gets power, video, and a USB hub. living the single wire dream.

apple believes it's a bad user experience for someone to try their included cable for something other than power and have it fail without obvious reason, so they pack in a $40 cable that most people will use just for power.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

The Management posted:

the included USBC cable is super thick because it is a full featured thunderbolt 3 cable. besides power it includes a 40 gbps cio link carrying USB 3, display port, and pcie. that multiplexing is done inside the connector, which is why they're so large

that makes more sense

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Management posted:

This explains why my apple issued laptop didn't come with a power cable at all. Didn't want to waste the good stuff on internals.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

👀👀👀

https://twitter.com/lemiorhan/status/935578694541770752

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

i just did this

lol

tim cook's apple

Bulgogi Hoagie