Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Ad by Khad posted:

some of them just wanna get high

Throw them in a wood chipper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I do find it impressive that through the magic of bitcoin they have managed to instantiate the sunk cost fallacy so perfectly in the form of HODL.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
Another day, another "crypto visionary" outed as a liar/fraud/scammer

RonJeremysBalzac fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 25, 2020

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

Craig Wright has been outed as a liar/fraud/scammer for years.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

One of the players in my campaign wants to "invent" bitcoin by hiring a building full of scribes to write cryptograms on parchment paper. I don't really understand it but should I let him do it?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Womyn Capote posted:

One of the players in my campaign wants to "invent" bitcoin by hiring a building full of scribes to write cryptograms on parchment paper. I don't really understand it but should I let him do it?
Ask him why he wants to do this and post the response

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Womyn Capote posted:

thats not inventing bitcoin, thats inventing cash money

what have you done, coiner? you have cursed the world with an eternity of "fiat money", and the only way out of it is to create more cash!

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

lol. but lol particularly that they used the opportunity to shout out to THE LIGHTNING NETWORK

for context, the lightning network is a supposed solution to bitcoin's scaling problems that in order to function as specified, would require its developers to solve significant as-yet-unsolved problems in computer science.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Womyn Capote posted:

This sounds hilarious so you should encourage him, then set up a dramatic act 2 twist with either a horde of orcs steamrolling the idea and burning all the paper, or have a wizard "mysteriously" wind up with all the papers several days later

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Womyn Capote posted:

Let me do it. In a month tell him he is broke either because someone stole his keys or someone hired twice as many scribes as him and has control over all the money, whichever is funnier for your campaign.
If they protest or try to undo any of that call them a statist using men with crossbows to subvert the free market.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, don't be a jerk about it. Make him roll constantly until he gets a 1.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Hammerite posted:

for context, the lightning network is a supposed solution to bitcoin's scaling problems that in order to function as specified, would require its developers to solve significant as-yet-unsolved problems in computer science.

I have not followed the technical details of the lightning network at all, because I made (and have been happy with) the choice to not care about bitcoin. But as a former CS student, I'm a little curious what problems you're referring to. Mostly because I want to know just how badly they've cornered themselves.

VVV: loving lol, that's pretty bad. "yeah, everything will be way faster as soon as we knock out this one thing THAT THE WORLD HAS STRUGGLED WITH IN UTTER FUTILITY, FOR DECADES"

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 26, 2020

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I seems to remember they'd have to solve P=NP and the ones about routing perfectly even without having any idea of the network topography.

Someone please correct me.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

EorayMel posted:

This sounds hilarious so you should encourage him, then set up a dramatic act 2 twist with either a horde of orcs steamrolling the idea and burning all the paper, or have a wizard "mysteriously" wind up with all the papers several days later

The local peasants all get really into the idea and are trading the pieces of parchment for ever increasing amounts of gold. After a bunch of parchment thefts a local noble, Baron le'Carp, sets up a part of his magic castle as a repository for the peasants to store their parchments. But it turns out the roof leaks, and half the parchments were written in non-waterproof ink. They're blank.

Now half the peasants are in an angry mob with pitchforks and Baron le'Carp is putting the blame on you for writing the parchments wrong! What do you do?

Akratic Method posted:

I have not followed the technical details of the lightning network at all, because I made (and have been happy with) the choice to not care about bitcoin. But as a former CS student, I'm a little curious what problems you're referring to. Mostly because I want to know just how badly they've cornered themselves.

Bitcoin transactions are slow (because you have to wait for a block to be mined to verify the transaction) and super limited in capacity (because the block is 1MB and has limited space), resulting in a total transaction capacity of 7/second. For the entire world.

Fixing this is against the interest of the miners, the miners hold all the power, so the solution is a cockamamie byzantine generals distributed web-of-trust called the lightning network. You deposit bitcoin onto it and that's how you spend small amounts that get bundled into real blockchain transactions later. Because every bitcoin problem calls for reinventing the existing financial system but badly and with massive potential for theft.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Baron le'Carp did nothing wrong.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Klyith posted:

The local peasants all get really into the idea and are trading the pieces of parchment for ever increasing amounts of gold. After a bunch of parchment thefts a local noble, Baron le'Carp, sets up a part of his magic castle as a repository for the peasants to store their parchments. But it turns out the roof leaks, and half the parchments were written in non-waterproof ink. They're blank.

Now half the peasants are in an angry mob with pitchforks and Baron le'Carp is putting the blame on you for writing the parchments wrong! What do you do?

they scale mount gaux (pronounced like the dutch pronounce gogh) to find the legendary trove of the stolen pieces of the Original Parchment but all they find when they finally get to the top is a strung-out goatman tweaker offering them these weird parchments he's scrawled out himself

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

The White Dragon posted:

when they finally get to the top is a strung-out goatman

(You show them hello.jpg as a visual aid at this point.)

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

mycrimes.txt was comedy genius

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
A bunch of pixies show up and start flooding the parchment market with fairy gold, driving prices to amazing new heights. But when any of the player characters try to spend the fairy gold in other towns or to pay tithes to the king, it turns into worthless rocks.

If you denounce the pixies to the peasants or start using dispel magic to reveal that fairy gold is rocks, the price of parchments will collapse and the peasants may stop using them altogether. But if you ignore the pixies and keep the parchment economy going, you will end up with more and more worthless rocks instead of gold. The pixies can of course tell the difference between fairy gold and real gold at a glance. So they will quickly drain all the real gold from the whole township if you don't act. What do you do?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Klyith posted:

A bunch of pixies show up and start flooding the parchment market with fairy gold, driving prices to amazing new heights. But when any of the player characters try to spend the fairy gold in other towns or to pay tithes to the king, it turns into worthless rocks.

If you denounce the pixies to the peasants or start using dispel magic to reveal that fairy gold is rocks, the price of parchments will collapse and the peasants may stop using them altogether. But if you ignore the pixies and keep the parchment economy going, you will end up with more and more worthless rocks instead of gold. The pixies can of course tell the difference between fairy gold and real gold at a glance. So they will quickly drain all the real gold from the whole township if you don't act. What do you do?

cast Wish to go back to the day the First Case of Parchments was penned and buy 50,000 gold pieces' worth of them

cast Wish again to return to the present, where the fairies gave up because you can trade a hundred parchments for a leg of mutton in the one butcher twelve miles from here who accepts them, or thirty thousand parchments for a fistful of great-hemp on the black market

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Dawncloack posted:

I seems to remember they'd have to solve P=NP and the ones about routing perfectly even without having any idea of the network topography.

Someone please correct me.

just the network routing one

fortunately LN will never be needed to solve a problem that bitcoin has, because no fucker used it to buy poo poo with even before the transaction clog

the actual problem LN solves is when anyone says "bitcoin can't scale" they answer "lightning network lol"

also when you try to actually use it and it loses all your money, it's poor widdle open souwce softwawe uwu be kind

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

divabot posted:

fortunately LN will never be needed to solve a problem that bitcoin has, because no fucker used it to buy poo poo with even before the transaction clog

are you saying drugs aren't poo poo? what the gently caress man!

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

The White Dragon posted:

are you saying drugs aren't poo poo? what the gently caress man!

Look at this morans who's not high rn

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

divabot posted:

just the network routing one
Which if not formally a P=NP problem is pretty adjacent to it. Difficulty-wise it's trying to figure out routing without trust or a central authority which ends up being as much of a shitshow you think it will be even on a conceptual level never mind when trying to implement it (lol you can't because it's not even something you can design). The white paper goes "we solve routing" and skates on to whether coveting that 15 year old is really ephebophilia.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
So, if I am reading the tea leaves correctly:

at 4k tether will pump the price up to 10k and then sell.

Repeat.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

So, if I am reading the tea leaves correctly:

at 4k tether will pump the price up to 10k and then sell.

Repeat.

Remember: it’s only a pump’n’dump scam if it’s in fiat money instead of Diddler Ducats

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Gaukler posted:

Diddler Ducats

:vince:

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

kw0134 posted:

Which if not formally a P=NP problem is pretty adjacent to it. Difficulty-wise it's trying to figure out routing without trust or a central authority which ends up being as much of a shitshow you think it will be even on a conceptual level never mind when trying to implement it (lol you can't because it's not even something you can design). The white paper goes "we solve routing" and skates on to whether coveting that 15 year old is really ephebophilia.
well it is not only trying to figure out routing without trust or central authority but trying to do all that in a web of channels that would be constantly changing as channels are opened and closed.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Traveling salesman problem...but with bitcoin! Also the train schedules keep changing. Also the trains derail randomly. This is a solved problem, no more needs to be discussed.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

train ridership drops precipitously due to the pandemic, causing 90% of the trains to drop out from the pool and start running alt-routes, resulting in daily commutes of 3 weeks or longer

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Which trains are obsessed with ephebophilia?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yamanote between Kanda and Okachimachi and the Chuo line between Ochanomizu and Asakusabashi.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Yamanote between Kanda and Okachimachi and the Chuo line between Ochanomizu and Asakusabashi.

Having ridden that part of the Yamanote line i'd agree.

See that's distributed consensus in action!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Pedo pesos
Diddler dollars
Creeper kroners
Fiddler francs
Ephebophile euros
Savile shillings
Nambla nickels
Nonce cents

Cellblock chain

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Thanks to those who elaborated on my offhand comments about the Lightning Notwork so I didn't have to try and fail to explain it

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Akratic Method posted:

VVV: loving lol, that's pretty bad. "yeah, everything will be way faster as soon as we knock out this one thing THAT THE WORLD HAS STRUGGLED WITH IN UTTER FUTILITY, FOR DECADES"
It's The Canadian Traveller Problem

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
i thought the canadian traveler problem was being mistaken for an american when abroad and having to explain that they're actually from the nice and polite country further north

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Waltzing Along posted:

please dont slander the a.k.b. it's completely wholesome*

*except when you go into the Mulans, or the Melonbooks

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

please dont slander the a.k.b. it's completely wholesome*

*except when you go into the Mulans, or the Melonbooks

think they're talking about the train lines and the gropers/upskirters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

LordArgh posted:

i thought the canadian traveler problem was being mistaken for an american when abroad and having to explain that they're actually from the nice and polite country further north
and sometimes you get kidnapped by the chinese communist party