Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Hadlock posted:

How many pages do you get out of a toner cartridge

We had an old battle tank HP LaserJet II in the early 1990s which weighed at least 60 lbs, literally dropped it right on it's corner unloading it from my dad's truck from at least 40" onto the concrete driveway, continued to give trusty service for another 15 years until my mom finally threw it out, looks like you can still buy toner cartridges for it to this day

Toner cartridges were about $80 ($140 in 1990s money) but you would get about a thousand pages of book reports out of a cartridge

A lot. Purchased it in January 2019, and just replaced the toner last month with fairly regular use.

I bought aftermarket toner @$26 for a two-pack. Just had to swap the Brother chip to the toner cartridge so the printer is happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Statutory Ape
Sep 12, 2017

I've had great compatibility with brother printers across every platform I think. The person that mainly used the printer in the house was a Mac/iOS/ChromeOS user, but I set it up easily for them across all the platforms.

I use windows/android/ubuntu and it picked all of those up easily too.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

like and subscribe for more passive-aggressive roadway bullshit adventure in Chigcao

PCjr sidecar posted:

Thanks for killing google cloud print, Google.
Having just learned this, ...

angryrobots posted:

The Brother laser printer I purchased last year was Mopria print certified and has worked seamlessly from our Android devices. After reading your post, I downloaded the Mopria app on my kid's Chromebook, set up the printer in the settings tab, and immediately printed a document. It took about 2 minutes start to finish. It's nice, the Mopria app will notify if there's a queue or error codes (so far only out of paper/ink). The app basically stays in the background, you just access print in whatever apps hamburger menu.

It has so far been a trouble free device. My wife's work windows laptop is connected to it via USB for ~reasons~ and we've printed wirelessly via Android, and from her computer at the same time with no issues, just queues up and goes.
... is this pretty much the solution?

(Mopria will still work next year, right?)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/...u-need-to-know/

Google will be separating Chrome from Chrome OS. This should hopefully lengthen the lifespan of the devices.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Bote McBoteface. so what

I just hope that ends up applying to most if not all older CBs; I could see it being a thing (like Android or Linux app support) that they'd roll out to only recent devices. As it stands, the "end of support" thing is one of the biggest downsides to ChromeOS devices. It's particularly embarrassing considering you can install an up-to-date version of Windows 10 (to say nothing of one's favorite Linux distro) on pretty ancient hardware.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.engadget.com/google-pix...-190724187.html

The original Pixelbook is out of stock on the US and UK Google Store.

This might be permanent as Google confirmed this to Engadget and is directing people to the Pixelbook Go now.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Which Chromebook would have the best screen for cloud gaming? I bought my daughter a Duet and it is nice but the screen is a little small. It has performed well with Stadia and GeForce Now, so I am looking for something cheap with a larger comparable screen.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Having an issue with some chromebooks.

Another school in our district called me today with 4 student Chromebooks having issues.

1 Chromebook is constantly giving an WiFi connection out of range message. Teacher took it home to test it and it worked just fine. All other Chromebooks are working just fine with the internet. I sent him how to reset network settings so hopefully that will correct it. If not, what could be the next step.

3 Chromebooks can no longer charge and turn on. When plugged in, the battery light will not even light up. We have tried the unplug from chromebook, unplug from wall, wait and plug back into chromebook and then the wall. No response. While plugged in, the Chromebook will not turn on and it will not respond to wipe commands or factory reset commands. Any ideas on what we can do?

Also, the teacher is wondering if the kids were able to cause this. He think they might have changed a setting to do this because 1) all 3 are buddies and 2) they are always looking to get out of doing work and this is keeping them from doing work. Without physically damaging the Chromebook, I cannot figure anything out.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

3 Chromebooks can no longer charge and turn on. When plugged in, the battery light will not even light up. We have tried the unplug from chromebook, unplug from wall, wait and plug back into chromebook and then the wall. No response. While plugged in, the Chromebook will not turn on and it will not respond to wipe commands or factory reset commands. Any ideas on what we can do?

Pixelbooks were somewhat notorious for randomly deciding not to charge and this could always be resolved by doing a hardware reset - https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/3227606

I'm guessing these aren't Pixelbooks, but it's probably worth a shot anyway.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Bote McBoteface. so what

loudog999 posted:

Which Chromebook would have the best screen for cloud gaming? I bought my daughter a Duet and it is nice but the screen is a little small. It has performed well with Stadia and GeForce Now, so I am looking for something cheap with a larger comparable screen.

There are models with 15" displays (e.g. Acer, HP.) Any of those with a full-HD resolution and decent other specs (e.g. 4+ GB RAM, competent CPU, backlit keyboard preferably) would be what you're looking for.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

1 Chromebook is constantly giving an WiFi connection out of range message. Teacher took it home to test it and it worked just fine. All other Chromebooks are working just fine with the internet. I sent him how to reset network settings so hopefully that will correct it. If not, what could be the next step.

For the Wifi issue, try the aforementioned hardware reset. If there's still an issue, my suspicion is that the device was dropped or mishandled and perhaps one of the antennae was disconnected internally, which would explain why it worked at the teacher's house but has trouble in a longer-range environment with more interference.

How old are the other CBs with battery issues? It's entirely possible that the batteries are worn out, and perhaps are swelling up. They should still power on with external power, however it's possible that they're in the same situation as a smartphone I had to repair: the battery had swollen to the point where it disconnected the USB port internally, so the battery couldn't recharge nor could the device operate at all because it wasn't receiving power. Another option would be physical damage as above resulting in similar internal damage; you can never rule this out when talking about kids' stuff.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Atomizer posted:

How old are the other CBs with battery issues? It's entirely possible that the batteries are worn out, and perhaps are swelling up. They should still power on with external power, however it's possible that they're in the same situation as a smartphone I had to repair: the battery had swollen to the point where it disconnected the USB port internally, so the battery couldn't recharge nor could the device operate at all because it wasn't receiving power. Another option would be physical damage as above resulting in similar internal damage; you can never rule this out when talking about kids' stuff.

They are almost a year and a half old (April of 2019)

MagicAlex
Jan 6, 2007

Is there a way I can remap my Pixelbook's keyboard keys to controller buttons for Android games? I bought Final Fantasy VI off the Google Play store, and I kind of just want to play using the keyboard rather than a bluetooth gamepad. Arrow keys work for moving the character and the cursor, but none of the other keys do anything except the Back button. I was thinking if I could just map Enter to work as a gamepad's A button I'd be set. I'm not sure if the solution is another Android app or if I specifically need a Chrome extension/app that would do it.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Bote McBoteface. so what

MagicAlex posted:

Is there a way I can remap my Pixelbook's keyboard keys to controller buttons for Android games? I bought Final Fantasy VI off the Google Play store, and I kind of just want to play using the keyboard rather than a bluetooth gamepad. Arrow keys work for moving the character and the cursor, but none of the other keys do anything except the Back button. I was thinking if I could just map Enter to work as a gamepad's A button I'd be set. I'm not sure if the solution is another Android app or if I specifically need a Chrome extension/app that would do it.

Not that I know of, although I haven't investigated it that closely. The built-in keyboard should be seen by any OS (Chrome, Android) as just a keyboard, and assigning functions to buttons would be done in each application in the settings under button remapping. If it were done above that level (if even possible,) you'd run the risk of losing functionality of the keyboard within the OS.

Presumably, the issue you're having with the controls would be identical on a native Android tablet with a hardware keyboard of some kind.

Mouko
Nov 26, 2004

Jagwah.

I'm thinking of picking up an Acer R11 so I can finally ditch my decrepit 2014 Toshiba laptop.

I've spotted a 2018 version for sale locally (dual core, not quad core) for 140 (can probably get it for less).

Is it worth spending more on the newer quad core modelwhen all I need is reliable web browsing, word processing and Spotify?

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

Is it just me or is the native ChromeOS keyboard kind of rear end? The thing mistypes much more frequently than Gboard on my phone and randomly fails to autocorrect, capitalize, etc.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Bote McBoteface. so what

Mouko posted:

I'm thinking of picking up an Acer R11 so I can finally ditch my decrepit 2014 Toshiba laptop.

I've spotted a 2018 version for sale locally (dual core, not quad core) for 140 (can probably get it for less).

Is it worth spending more on the newer quad core modelwhen all I need is reliable web browsing, word processing and Spotify?

I'd have to see the specs of the specific model you're looking at, because Acer makes a ton of laptop variants and core count means next to nothing when the CPU is unknown in addition to the rest of the specs. In fact, I'd say if it's a recent CPU, then RAM is more important, because Acer has made the R11 with both 2 or 4 GB of RAM, and the former is a non-starter. If it does have 4 GB and a recent CPU then it might very well be satisfactory.

Another consideration is that it's difficult to recommend laptops in particular in other markets. Here in the US there's a huge selection of CBs, and the one you're looking at may be a good deal there whereas it might not be something worth considering in my area because of the price or competition. That's why nowadays I generally just suggest a minimum set of specs (e.g. RAM and CPU, appropriate display resolution for its size,) and then beyond that any CB should be fine if it meets your budget and other criteria (like display size, touchscreen, convertible, etc.)

Any CB will suffice for your needs (browsing, documents, streaming) but there's definitely a noticeable difference in performance between low-end models and ones with sufficient specs.

UncleGuito posted:

Is it just me or is the native ChromeOS keyboard kind of rear end? The thing mistypes much more frequently than Gboard on my phone and randomly fails to autocorrect, capitalize, etc.

You're talking about the on-screen keyboard for touch displays? I haven't used it any time recently because of how I use my different devices in general, but for a touch keyboard I prefer swipe/slide entry anyways.

Mouko
Nov 26, 2004

Jagwah.

Thanks very much! The local R11 model only has 2GB RAM and a N3060 CPU so I will look elsewhere. I think a Lenovo S330 is a better bet for me.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Hey Chromebook thread, I was thinking of getting a really cheap laptop for a roadtrip I have planned for next year. Something that doesn't need to do anything more than word processing for keeping a journal and maybe running some kind of VOIP, but even that is negotiable if I can go cheaper without it. I'm talking bottom of the barrel here, something practically disposable. Does anyone have recommendations?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Bote McBoteface. so what

Mr. Lobe posted:

Hey Chromebook thread, I was thinking of getting a really cheap laptop for a roadtrip I have planned for next year. Something that doesn't need to do anything more than word processing for keeping a journal and maybe running some kind of VOIP, but even that is negotiable if I can go cheaper without it. I'm talking bottom of the barrel here, something practically disposable. Does anyone have recommendations?

For CBs, nowadays they're good enough where I recommend at least 4 GB of RAM, a decent CPU, and an appropriate resolution for the display size. You could get something in the $200 range, except for your uses you could probably get away with a tablet and perhaps a BT keyboard. Especially today & tomorrow, there are plenty of electronics sales for Prime "Day." It just depends how cheap you want to go, but you could get one of those Fire HD tablets for $50-100 and a keyboard for <$50. Otherwise, there was an Acer I think CB for sale today for around $220, but I think it's sold out.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Anyone have a handle on picking up a Brydge G-Type? I've been desperate for one and I can only find it on their UK site, but it won't ship stateside.

E: they're unlisted, but if you chat Brydge they'll sell you one via chat lmao

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 15, 2020

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

I'm going to kill myself tomorrow.

This might be the wrong thread for this but has anyone had any luck with Moonlight on a Chromebook? I tried both the Play Store app and the Chrome extension on a Lenovo Duet. The Play Store app works but the latency is bad, and I can't get the Chrome extension to work at all, I just get audio and a black screen.

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

I am headed back to teach after being out this year on maternity leave and was told that the laptop they had set aside for me that can connect easily to our smartboard is MIA. The school gave me a Samsung Chromebook but I am not having luck finding the right dongle/adapter that connects into the Smartboard's VGA cable and plugs into the chromebook (and no one at our school knows any. It doesn't have an HDMI outlet: just the two in the pics below.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Fun Shoe

Opera Bitch posted:

I am headed back to teach after being out this year on maternity leave and was told that the laptop they had set aside for me that can connect easily to our smartboard is MIA. The school gave me a Samsung Chromebook but I am not having luck finding the right dongle/adapter that connects into the Smartboard's VGA cable and plugs into the chromebook (and no one at our school knows any. It doesn't have an HDMI outlet: just the two in the pics below.

guess you could use one of those usb 3 dockings with displaylink hdmi outlets

Marx Was A Lib
Aug 26, 2004

Is there a way I can have my chromebook toggle the "convert top row to function keys" if it detects an internal input device connected, either through clever bash or python script or some Other Function?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

I'M JUST HERE TO KISS TITTIESS AND WIN FOOTBALL GAMES!
(AND GET EVERYBODY FIRED)

Any noteworthy Black Friday deals on Chromebooks?