Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Holy poo poo]

quote:

“We wanted to investigate how does someone like Harvey Weinstein gets away with doing what…get away with criminality, essentially. And the network that surrounds him. We decided that Gio would interview a concierge in Las Vegas,” Baron Cohen describes.

During the interview, believing the admission would drive the concierge from the room, Baron Cohen, as Gio, reveals that he’s molested an eight-year-old boy.

“This guy starts advising Gio how to get rid of this issue. We even at one point talk about murdering the boy, and the concierge is just saying, ‘well, listen, I’m really sorry. In this country, we can’t just drown the boy. This is America we don’t do that,’” Baron Cohen describes.

After the concierge offers to put Gio in touch with a lawyer who can help “silence the boy,” Baron Cohen asked for his help securing a date for the night.

“He says, ‘what do you mean, a date?’ I go, you know, like a young man. He says, ‘well, what kind of age?’ I say, lower than Bar Mitzvah but older than eight. And he says, ‘yeah, I can put you in touch with somebody who can get you some boys like that.’”

...Rather than airing the segment, Baron Cohen and his production team turned the footage over to the FBI, “because we thought, perhaps there’s a pedophile ring in Las Vegas that’s operating for these very wealthy men. And this concierge had said that he’d worked for politicians and various billionaires.”

...According to Baron Cohen, the FBI decided against pursuing the tip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

quote:

...According to Baron Cohen, the FBI decided against pursuing the tip.

what

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
results of pursuing hot tip...

you are fired?

well at least I won a free lunch

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Yowza.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Jesus loving Christ.

That's just...

That's, uh...

WHAT??? :psyduck:

How do you literally pimp children and not go home and blow your loving brains out with a shotgun?

PT6A fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 22, 2018

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Yikes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PT6A posted:

Jesus loving Christ.

That's just...

That's, uh...

WHAT??? :psyduck:

How do you literally pimp children and not go home and blow your loving brains out with a shotgun?

Sociopathy.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

chitoryu12 posted:

Sociopathy.

might be some chief special agent is part of the Lolita Express crew i guess

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Eh, that kinda thing isn't really all that impressive. I remember a few or more years back there was some snot-nosed, dipshit conservative e-journalist/youtuber who got semi famous secretly taping outrageous conversations he'd prompted with staff in a few liberal orgs. I think he did it with Planned Parenthood and some voter registration non-profit. He would show up or call in and pretend to be a pimp or a racist and then get some random volunteer to try and talk around his obvious lunacy. It was a big jerk off waste of time and the guy who did it literally has the most punchable face ever.

I mean realistically, I'm totally sure that this bellhop routinely provides advice on how to hide a body to random hotel guests that he met 5 minutes ago, and that the FBI are just too lazy to catch pedophiles. That scenario seems much more likely than the possibly that he was just humoring a guest that was either drunk, playing a joke, or crazy, something I doubt he's unfamiliar with in Vegas.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Yeah everything's probably fine, no need to worry.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

-Blackadder- posted:

Eh, that kinda thing isn't really all that impressive. I remember a few or more years back there was some snot-nosed, dipshit conservative e-journalist/youtuber who got semi famous secretly taping outrageous conversations he'd prompted with staff in a few liberal orgs. I think he did it with Planned Parenthood and some voter registration non-profit. He would show up or call in and pretend to be a pimp or a racist and then get some random volunteer to try and talk around his obvious lunacy. It was a big jerk off waste of time and the guy who did it literally has the most punchable face ever.

I mean realistically, I'm totally sure that this bellhop routinely provides advice on how to hide a body to random hotel guests that he met 5 minutes ago, and that the FBI are just too lazy to catch pedophiles. That scenario seems much more likely than the possibly that he was just humoring a guest that was either drunk, playing a joke, or crazy, something I doubt he's unfamiliar with in Vegas.

I agree, but also outside of Vegas.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

-Blackadder- posted:

You're talking about James o'keefe who is the most obvious con in existence, who also selectively edits his footage.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Origami Dali posted:

You're talking about James o'keefe who is the most obvious con in existence, who also selectively edits his footage.

Yeah, that's the guy, although apparently he's not the only jackass who's tried that poo poo with Planned Parenthood.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

im not kidding. louis ck is going for the "handsoem

im too drunk to spell correctly but can you please fire guns into his head?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/alissacaliente/status/1076512416819826688

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

-Blackadder- posted:

Yeah, that's the guy, although apparently he's not the only jackass who's tried that poo poo with Planned Parenthood.

Oh hey... its David Daleiden who also selectively edits footage to further his goals, just like that shitlord James O'Keefe.

So, I'm not sure what your point is trying to compare O'Keefe and Daleiden to Baron Cohen, unless you're trying to imply that Baron Cohen would have turned over edited footage to the FBI. :confused:

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
My point is exactly what I posted above.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

As evidenced by his scripts, Joss Whedon's brain just can't stop his hands from typing the most horrible garbage imaginable.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Darko posted:

White straight males who have no real cultural things used to say they are lesser than other people may not realize it, but people who aren't that might just not like daily reminders of that, via the words that were/are used to tell them they are poo poo.

I'd say it's just western male culture as a whole. Beat Street came out in the 80s and has a great Christmas rap song unfortunately punctuated by homophobic slurs, but at the same time, it is spoken in the voice of a legitimately downtrodden, economically poor community, which really exacerbates how much capitalism teaches us to fear and hate each other rather than those imposing their classist rule.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph6hXpPbl0s

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

What the hell indeed. I mean, the FBI sets up sting operations to catch pedophiles all the time, in fact they just used an FBI agent posing as a 13 year old boy to catch some actor from a Disney show. Why wouldn't they follow up on what seems like a golden opportunity here? There's go to be more to this.

....Maybe the FBI didn't follow up because this concierge person themselves called the police/FBI about the incident? Or maybe that's just hopeful thinking on my part.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

garycoleisgod posted:

The worst thing for me about Dushku explaining her side is not the poo poo Weatherly pulled, but this quote about the writer-producer Caron dude:
emphasis mine

Like because a woman posed for a lads mag, she doesn't have any rights or the expectation of being treated as an person, not an object? It's a version of the mindset that says a woman was asking to be raped because of the way she dressed.

Disgusting.

Weatherly and the producers of Bull are skating by way, way too lightly from this incident. They should all lose their jobs over this. CBS needs to clean house. I guess it's not surprising they won't though, considering who their CEO was.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sucrose posted:

Weatherly and the producers of Bull are skating by way, way too lightly from this incident. They should all lose their jobs over this. CBS needs to clean house. I guess it's not surprising they won't though, considering who their CEO was.

Difficult to just declare you're summarily dissolving an entire network out of moral obligation, if for no other reason than the number of investors who are not going to take that bath.

Also on a relative scale, Les Moonves is like a thousand times more powerful than Weinstein.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Difficult to just declare you're summarily dissolving an entire network out of moral obligation, if for no other reason than the number of investors who are not going to take that bath.

Also on a relative scale, Les Moonves is like a thousand times more powerful than Weinstein.

Uh, I was suggesting that CBS fire Weatherly and Caron, not "dissolve the network". Where the hell did you get that?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sucrose posted:

Uh, I was suggesting that CBS fire Weatherly and Caron, not dissolve the network. Where the gently caress did you get that?

Out of a canon into the sun hopefully.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sucrose posted:

Uh, I was suggesting that CBS fire Weatherly and Caron, not "dissolve the network". Where the hell did you get that?

I think I naturally extrapolated what cleaning house at CBS would entail, since god knows how much of the executive leadership was aware that Moonves is a tenth-level sex pest and it seems to have drained down into production staff and on-air talent.

In addition to the accusations against Moonves growing worse by the day, he is fighting them tooth and nail, including by attempting to lie and destroy evidence. That doesn't happen unless you have allies everywhere.

quote:

In one case, Dr. Anne Peters, who saw Mr. Moonves for a consultation in 1999, told the lawyers that he had tried to kiss her and masturbated in front of her. Dr. Peters said she had later told Arnold Kopelson, a film producer who was a friend, about the incident in an attempt to dissuade him from joining the CBS board in 2007.

“She recalls Kopelson responding that the incident had happened a long time ago and was trivial, and said, in effect, ‘We all did that,’” the investigators wrote. They added that Dr. Peters had tried to discuss the incident with Mr. Kopelson, who died in October, on several other occasions, and pushed him to come forward with the information after the #MeToo movement gained momentum.

I mean if you need to know what would enable an unimportant television star to survive being caught on tape sexual harassing another star--a tape that would likely torpedo the entire show and cause even more brand damage if it became public--there it is. These people don't even practice the mathematical cynicism of "What would cost more, canning this shithead or a settlement that could eventually be dug up by a news agency?" They don't care.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Keep in mind, the only reason Dushku and her lawyers (and by extension us) know that tape exists is CBS's lawyers showed it to them because it also shows Dushku cussing and they thought that exculpated them.

You don't have people like Weatherly and Caron getting to their levels of success without executives who also actively participate in that sort of cultural misogyny.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sucrose posted:

Right. We shouldn’t ban or remove old things just because if their exact wording was written today, it would be offensive due to shifts in word meaning or cultural connotations. If anything I think it’s infantilizing to think that an offended person is incapable of realizing that an old thing is old and doing more research on what it meant at the time it was written.

......Do keep in mind that this is entirely different from removing old things that were written at a time where they were already highly offensive, but when nobody gave a poo poo about the opinions of the marginalized group being offended.
Nobody at all has suggested that you shouldn't be able to purchase the song and enjoy it. You made that up out of whole cloth. Nobody's removing anything or even suggesting that.

2018 and people still don't get that saying a thing is inappropriate for certain audiences isn't loving censorship.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Surely someone can come up with two, two-syllable, rhyming vulgarities to put into the song instead. rear end in a top hat? Dickhead? Fuckbag? Shitboy? Cuntnerd?

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Shot: https://twitter.com/kevinspacey/status/1077263549326651392?s=21

Chaser: https://twitter.com/thr/status/1077269094766919685?s=21

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That video is really loving creepy.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Go away forever, Kevin Spacey, and be glad you aren't sitting in a jail cell (which you might be sometime in the future).

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Rhyno posted:

That video is really loving creepy.

I think he’s deliberately trying to play it like a villain, as though anyone would forget he’s a rapist.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
"Because I can promise you this, if I didn't pay the price for the things we both know I did do, I'm certainly not going to pay the price for the things I didn't do."

WTF is wrong with this guy? Is this how the brain of a serial sexual assaulter works?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sucrose posted:

Go away forever, Kevin Spacey, and be glad you aren't sitting in a jail cell (which you might be sometime in the future).

so many great roles

the shipping news... midnight in the garden of good and evil lost like tears in rain

time to die

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Kevin Spacey seems to have confused how movies work with real life. People like fictional villains, Kevin, because THEY'RE NOT REAL.

That was the creepiest loving thing I've seen all day, and not in a good way.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Kevin Spacey ruins Christmas Eve.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

what in the high holy gently caress is that Kevin Spacey video.

Jesus Louisus.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

what in the high holy gently caress is that Kevin Spacey video.

Jesus Louisus.

i mostly remember him from stuff that is not his prestige show

but yikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Watch out! A POIsonous snake!
I burst out laughing at that music sting at the end. What the gently caress is this video?