Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's a sex pest. Says life just doesn't give him enough. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where he no longer can harass women without consequences. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. Great singer Plácido is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says, "But doctor...I am Plácido.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1161224588535091200

well that came out of nowhere

but did it really?

Well the guy’s name literally translates to “Lazy Sunday” so you tell me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AceOfFlames posted:

Well the guy’s name literally translates to “Lazy Sunday” so you tell me.

Gonna assume it's a stage name. Opera is like 100 years behind the rest of the world.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Gonna assume it's a stage name. Opera is like 100 years behind the rest of the world.

According to Wikipedia his full birth name is José Plácido Domingo Embil. His father was also named Plácido Domingo.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Aug 14, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Wasn't there another sex pest who called the accusations "inaccurate"?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Alan Smithee posted:

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1161224588535091200

well that came out of nowhere

but did it really?

Just so long as nothing bad comes out about Enrico Palazzo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Samovar posted:

Just so long as nothing bad comes out about Enrico Palazzo.

He attacked Reggie Jackson in full view of the public.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I figure while we're here

https://twitter.com/Complex/status/1161512526263324677

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Ugh that quote makes him sound like an rear end in a top hat with an agenda. Anyway I hope the accusation is investigated properly

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It really doesn't and it's kind of hosed up that you read it that way.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I don't think it's an outlandish idea that claiming men are being treated unfairly and an insistence on using "females" to refer to women tend to be signifiers of a particular kind of dude. The accusation still deserves to be taken seriously

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

peer posted:

I don't think it's an outlandish idea that claiming men are being treated unfairly and an insistence on using "females" to refer to women tend to be signifiers of a particular kind of dude. The accusation still deserves to be taken seriously

Especially when he just used "men" for men in the previous sentence. "Men and :females:" is one hell of a red flag.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It felt like a response at odds to the one we'd see if it were a woman coming out against yet another male predator.

And if you look at that sentence you might notice that without thinking about it i said "woman" and then "male". People do that switch without being MRAs. But do please carry on attacking the victim in this story.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Aug 14, 2019

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

A Sometimes Food posted:

Especially when he just used "men" for men in the previous sentence. "Men and :females:" is one hell of a red flag.

the only red flag i'm seeing is this post

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

A Sometimes Food posted:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

This is why I wait at least a bit to see how these things shake out. A lot of cases with genuine accusations you get a lot more coming out of the woodwork because no one ever does this poo poo just once.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It felt like a response at odds to the one we'd see if it were a woman coming out against yet another male predator.

And if you look at that sentence you might notice that without thinking about it i said "woman" and then "male". People do that switch without being MRAs. But do please carry on attacking the victim in this story.

Just because misogyny is so deeply engrained that we do it without thinking doesn’t make it less misogynistic. They are Women, not Females.

OPERA MAN... BYE-BYyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyye! *scarf*

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

If you had said "yet another male" instead of "yet another male predator" your pwn might make sense.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Two hundred pages of examples of the sexual assault culture in the entertainment industry and the reasons popular and powerful people get away with it. And then as soon as a story comes out about a hugely prominent and popular woman in entertainment the victim is knee-jerk dismissed, and villainised on the thinnest of grounds.

Do you really not see why that is a problem? That maybe your own prejudices may need to be reflected on? Because some of you look like massive loving hypocrites right now. And enablers.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Like remember when Asia Argento was at the absolute forefront of the initial #MeToo Pointe Break and then was outed like 6 months later as having groomed her child-co-star from pre-pubescence? In many ways that was the most important scandal for me, not because she was a woman, but because it was the clearest case of how deeply ingrained and deep the toxicity and corruption go.

You can literally go up on a stage in front of thousands of people screaming "we gotta STOP this!" while you have naked pictures of a 17 year old kid you've been grooming for a decade on your phone.

Katy Perry also televised her own nervous breakdown and her therapeutic revival and strikes me as exactly the kind of person who just doesn't her the word "No"

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 14, 2019

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
It is 100% possible that the victim in the Katy Perry story has lovely views about women and is also the victim of sexual assault, and "how lovely a person the victim is" isn't grounds to excuse the assaulter.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Yeah my bad, a bit over sensitive to that kind of language.

Like I reserve the right to doubt the sincerity of an allegation if it's very obviously MRA tripe but that ain't it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

enki42 posted:

It is 100% possible that the victim in the Katy Perry story has lovely views about women and is also the victim of sexual assault, and "how lovely a person the victim is" isn't grounds to excuse the assaulter.

If we're talking plain ol' garden-variety assault, did you feel the same way about Richard Spencer being fed a knuckle sandwich?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

If we're talking plain ol' garden-variety assault, did you feel the same way about Richard Spencer being fed a knuckle sandwich?

You should read what you just posted very carefully.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hoo boy.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Vagabundo posted:

lmao

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vagabundo posted:

I don't think anyone who punches Richard Spencer today should go to jail, but if I found out he was sexually abused as a child I'd very much be in favor of whoever did that going to jail.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

someone posted a reenactment of this incident actually starring Perry, i don't know how i feel about making it into a musical but you can definitely see her mindset at the time of the incident

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZywfJFrKVM

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Danny Masterson is in a lot of trouble

https://news.avclub.com/4-women-sue-danny-masterson-and-the-church-of-scientolo-1837261715

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

About drat time

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
All Scientologists should be arrested and deprogrammed, it’s literally just a labor cult for the ultra rich and that’s all LRH ever meant for it to be.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

DC Murderverse posted:

someone posted a reenactment of this incident actually starring Perry, i don't know how i feel about making it into a musical but you can definitely see her mindset at the time of the incident

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZywfJFrKVM

Yikes.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1162013206346424320

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I absolutely hate the way every picture they are using of Katy Perry for these accusations articles makes her look so sad and forlorned, like they are tying to make her appear wild and vulnerable, instead of just a weird and spoiled person.

I just don’t think it’s possible to make a million dollars at age 19-20 and maintain any semblance of humanity.

latent lunatic
Sep 5, 2018

Bust Rodd posted:

I absolutely hate the way every picture they are using of Katy Perry for these accusations articles makes her look so sad and forlorned, like they are tying to make her appear wild and vulnerable, instead of just a weird and spoiled person.

I just don’t think it’s possible to make a million dollars at age 19-20 and maintain any semblance of humanity.
You're saying that they had any semblance of humanity to begin with?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bust Rodd posted:

it's almost like she's a rich white woman and is going to get kid-gloved as hard as possible by the media for this

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

It's not really possibly to make a million dollars at any age and not be a scumbag.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I thought that was just Katy Perry's whole look these days.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I wonder if every major news outlet has an archive of celebrity photos where they look mean/nice/sad/etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Coffee And Pie posted:

I wonder if every major news outlet has an archive of celebrity photos where they look mean/nice/sad/etc

We call that a reaction image folder.