Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Jesus Christ close this loving thread.

The thread is fine, there’s just one consistently terrible guy in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pirate Jet posted:

The thread is fine, there’s just one consistently terrible guy in it.

I don't like being attacked like this

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Let's keep the poo poo posts and ageism out of this thread. Stay on topic. Thanks.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/nytimesarts/status/1179840381065801728?s=21

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
That doesn’t surprise me, doesn’t he have a history of predatory poo poo? Fuckin Franco.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Coffee And Pie posted:

That doesn’t surprise me, doesn’t he have a history of predatory poo poo? Fuckin Franco.

His name came up a while ago, I think around the time he and Anne Hathaway hosted the Oscars. Like, pre-#metoo, back when it was called #timesup.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I vaguely remember hearing poo poo way back when that 30 Rock episode about him being into love pillows aired.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i definitely remember having read one of these stories before (him removing the plastic covering genitals before simulating oral sex on his female students, which, oh my god ew) and then i realized that one of the two women named in the lawsuit had told that story in the article that covered all of his creeping on young girls and other gross assaults. I hope this is enough to finally get people to stop giving James Franco more chances, especially now that Shia LaBeouf has committed to basically just being James Franco.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

Me, I'm just sad that Terry Richardson didn't get swept up in #METOO because I hate that creep and he really should've been raked over the coals harder for the poo poo he pulled and probably still pulls.

fwiw he has been pretty solidly blacklisted although it did take a big metoo push to actually get brands and magazines on the record and i think he has actually faced a criminal complaint. his most recent professional work is 2017.

the spotlight team at the boston globe did a pretty solid story naming a bunch of other photographers too who unfortunately seem to have skated by for the most part. a big fashion meme/call out account on instagram called diet_prada took down a guy who did a lot of content for kim kardashian and a nyc fashion guy who had worked with a bunch of VS angels.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Was Franco the one filming sex scenes for spurious reasons.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

ImpAtom posted:

I am saying it isn't a meaningful enough risk to require hard lockdown. This behavior isn't about protecting their comedy. It is about avoiding footage of them saying terrible things circulating.

It is unfinished work. Anyone familiar with stand-up can tell you why it is a bad idea to have that out there.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Judakel posted:

It is unfinished work. Anyone familiar with stand-up can tell you why it is a bad idea to have that out there.

That still absolutely doesn't address the banning of taking notes with pen and paper.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, you guys are really over thinking it since it's just Louis C.K. for now. He doesn't want people reporting on his dumbass "kids these days" old man jokes or any alt-right poo poo he says after he got mocked last time. That's almost certainly it.

The issue of the sanctity of open mic night is a different issue that I don't think there's too much disagreement about. Other than the fact that comedians sometimes want to treat it as obnoxiously sacred, and not just a practice night.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Skwirl posted:

That still absolutely doesn't address the banning of taking notes with pen and paper.

It does. If you want to give a "report" on what topics you heard, you can do that from memory.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Judakel posted:

Plenty of stand-up comedians don't go to such extreme measures. It's a mysterious coincidence that it started happening more after he got bad flack for making lovely offensive jokes.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Judakel posted:

It does. If you want to give a "report" on what topics you heard, you can do that from memory.

Not many people can memorize a lovely joke live, word for word, and then remember it for the length of the set and the drive home. He doesn't want quotes of his lovely jokes coming out. If he could make reporters/people sign NDAs he would.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

ImpAtom posted:

Plenty of stand-up comedians don't go to such extreme measures. It's a mysterious coincidence that it started happening more after he got bad flack for making lovely offensive jokes.

Plenty of stand-ups don't have vultures looking for a story and posters looking to call the work lovely because they disliked a joke that wasn't finished or suddenly took umbrage with the same type of work he has always done.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Not many people can memorize a lovely joke live, word for word, and then remember it for the length of the set and the drive home. He doesn't want quotes of his lovely jokes coming out. If he could make reporters/people sign NDAs he would.

You're not supposed to in order to write a piece. Louis CK doesn't care if you think his jokes are offensive. He doesn't want unfinished work being judged in terms of quality.

You can keep calling the work that offended you lovely if it makes you feel better. It is the same type of work you loved two years ago.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I mean, I'm talking about the finished routine about how he wished the Stoneman Douglas kids would chill out and stop complaining and a bunch of old man poo poo. Did you miss all of that? There seems to be a straight line connecting them.

Also, we're talking about his regular shows in Toronto. Not an open mic night. Which again, is different. I hope he's not charging full price for 5 nights of unfinished material.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I mean, I'm talking about the finished routine about how he wished the Stoneman Douglas kids would chill out and stop complaining and a bunch of old man poo poo. Did you miss all of that?

Also, we're talking about his regular shows in Toronto. Not an open mic night. Which again, is different. I hope he's not charging full prices for unfinished material.

That wasn't finished. It may not even resemble what you heard when it is done. It could be dropped entirely. Pacing could change. You don't just work on a routine at open mics. Yes, comics charge full price for unfinished material. This has always been the case, because they tour as they develop material. I am sure your "hopes" are well-meaning. Did you miss how comics work?

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Judakel posted:

You're not supposed to in order to write a piece. Louis CK doesn't care if you think his jokes are offensive.

He absolutely does. If it's not offensive his new audience doesn't give a poo poo.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Louis CK doesn't care if you find his jokes offensive which is why he devoted multiple sets and non-joke interview rants to getting upset about people finding things offensive.

Coffee And Pie posted:

James Franco sexually assaulted a mentally ill woman who basically dated him to throw herself on a grenade and protect her fourteen year old friend from being sexually assaulted by him. The dude is pure scum.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Catfishenfuego posted:

Louis CK doesn't care if you find his jokes offensive which is why he devoted multiple sets and non-joke interview rants to getting upset about people finding things offensive.

James Franco sexually assaulted a mentally ill woman who basically dated him to throw herself on a grenade and protect her fourteen year old friend from being sexually assaulted by him. The dude is pure scum.

wait what

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Judakel posted:

Plenty of stand-ups don't have vultures looking for a story and posters looking to call the work lovely because they disliked a joke that wasn't finished or suddenly took umbrage with the same type of work he has always done.

You're not supposed to in order to write a piece. Louis CK doesn't care if you think his jokes are offensive. He doesn't want unfinished work being judged in terms of quality.

You can keep calling the work that offended you lovely if it makes you feel better. It is the same type of work you loved two years ago.

Now start the rant about cancel culture.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

twerking on the railroad posted:

He absolutely does. If it's not offensive his new audience doesn't give a poo poo.

I don't think he has as much of a new audience as you think he does. A smaller one, sure.

ImpAtom posted:

Now start the rant about cancel culture.

You just didn't have a good point.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Judakel posted:

You just didn't have a good point.

Nah.

You referred to people who pointed out that a serial sexual harasser was now making transphobic jokes and insults aimed at the survivors of school shootings as 'vultures.' It was extremely clear what you actually meant.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Pablo Nergigante posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lfiTebewnc

:laffo::cawg::lol:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lmao

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

the franco acting school stuff has been in the blind items for years but it seems like people conveniently forgot how he propositioned a teenager on instagram while knowing her age

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Judakel posted:

That wasn't finished. It may not even resemble what you heard when it is done. It could be dropped entirely. Pacing could change. You don't just work on a routine at open mics. Yes, comics charge full price for unfinished material. This has always been the case, because they tour as they develop material. I am sure your "hopes" are well-meaning. Did you miss how comics work?

maybe he should have finished the jokes before he performed them. I think that's how performing things is usually supposed to work.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

R. Guyovich posted:

the franco acting school stuff has been in the blind items for years but it seems like people conveniently forgot how he propositioned a teenager on instagram while knowing her age

I genuinely had no idea about this.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snowman_McK posted:

maybe he should have finished the jokes before he performed them. I think that's how performing things is usually supposed to work.

Comedians test jokes and bits out all the time to hone them in.

Movies are shown to people before they’re finished to see if they work all the time.

It’s not a new concept

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Comedians test jokes and bits out all the time to hone them in.

Movies are shown to people before they’re finished to see if they work all the time.

It’s not a new concept

they don't charge full price for those. people don't pay to go to test screenings.

"Pay money and watch me rehearse" may not be a new concept, but it's a loving lovely one. Especially for a comedian who's been honing his craft for decades before being revealed as a sexual predator and suddenly forgetting how to be funny

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Although I think that these shows might not be those test runs. Usually shows that sell tickets are the refined shows and the random appearances at a small comedy club are the rest runs.

I didn’t know he was doing a show show.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Although I think that these shows might not be those test runs. Usually shows that sell tickets are the refined shows and the random appearances at a small comedy club are the rest runs.

I didn’t know he was doing a show show.

i mean, go to any open mic and you'll see a mix of people doing what is, essentially, their whole routine, and more established comics doing bits and pieces of their routine to dial them in. Someone charging top dollar to do an entire hour of unfinished jokes is an aberration to put it lightly.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Vagabundo posted:

I genuinely had no idea about this.

James Franco Apparently Tried to Hook Up With a Teenager On Instagram

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
Purely anecdotal but an old coworker of mine met Franco at some sort of signing. She was with a friend, and she told me he kept asking about whether they were in college yet and other weird-rear end questions related to them being young. She said it was weird af and his interest in them increased when be found out they were still teens. This was about ten years ago before this poo poo was well-known or even would have spread online. I was completely unsurprised when he was caught chatting up that Instagram teen. Franco's a creep.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 247 days!

Judakel posted:

Oh great, another one steps up to bat to continue a multi-page derail on a topic of no real importance.

I'm sure a topic of such burning importance deserves it's own thread, and won't die the moment the discussion no longer serves to derail a politically sensitive topic with tribal bullshit.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Hey I know you really really hate women and queer people but maybe do some googling before posting glib responses to easily sourced stories about a serial sex monster that preyed on my friends.

Also the whole forcing a woman to perform oral sex on him, he also tried to gently caress at least two of her underaged friends, one of whom I know was fourteen at the time they met.

Catfishenfuego fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 5, 2019

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Catfishenfuego posted:

Hey I know you really really hate women and queer people but maybe do some googling before posting glib responses to easily sourced stories about a serial sex monster that preyed on my friends.

go gently caress yourself?

okay ill be your public defender

that link you posted doesn't work

nothing shows up on google. Easily sourced my rear end

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

I also have no idea what the story is behind the women who had to date Franco to protect 14 years olds is about, and I remember reading the trying to meet up with a 17 year old story, the oral sex acting school story, and the car blow job story. How much Franco sex pest knowledge do we gotta have before being allowed to ask for more details?