Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Just curious: since I've been SALR-less for a while, I found that posting a normal YouTube link into the forums proper formatted it so it was embedded. In quick reply, this works as the link just posting as copied and not formatted to the friendly-embedded format. Is there a way to change it so I don't have to fiddle when quick replying?

Looks like this is working correctly in Chrome but not Firefox; I'll look into it.

e: Found the problem, fix will be in the next version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

iospace posted:

Found a live preview bug:

When submitted, it will actually show up as :haw:, not :)

That appears to be a bug in the way the redux preview parser handles emotes.

TECHNICAL EXPLANATION: Fundamentally, Redux approaches emotes in the preview by getting the list of emotes and then checking each emote to see if the text for it exists in the post and then, if found, replacing it with the emote. Since :) exists early on in the emote list, it gets replaced with the image first. Legacy approached this a little differently - first, it would scan the post for bits that looked like emotes (fitting the format :text:) Then, it checked if those emote-like bits were in fact in the list of emotes. Basic smilies like :) which didn't fit that format were then searched/replaced separately.

I think what I'd like to do is rework the logic to be more similar to Legacy SALR's - it should be far more efficient to get a list of the smileys that exist in the post once and subsequently search the emote list for just those than it would be to search the post again and again for each of the (dozens? hundreds?) of emotes.

e: also noticed a separate bug, the redux preview parser doesn't care if you have "Disable smilies" checked

astral fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 16, 2018

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Should be able to parse the smilies all in a single pass. Something like this.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

astral posted:

Looks like this is working correctly in Chrome but not Firefox; I'll look into it.

e: Found the problem, fix will be in the next version.

Thanks! You're doing great work.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Welp, accidentally hit post while loving around with the quick reply!

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
Has the "hide avatar" button been added? I've seen two people post screenshots with it in them so far (as well as the "add note" button) but I don't have it, and my SALR Redux is the latest version.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

biznatchio posted:

Should be able to parse the smilies all in a single pass. Something like this.

An interesting approach! Thanks for sharing it.

Simon The Digger posted:

Has the "hide avatar" button been added? I've seen two people post screenshots with it in them so far (as well as the "add note" button) but I don't have it, and my SALR Redux is the latest version.

Firefox SALR Redux users are alpha testing an early version of it; when it's done it should end up in the next big release for Chrome.

e: If you are on Firefox and it's not showing up for you, there was a bug that is resolved in the next alpha release of SALR Redux for Firefox that will make it show up for you!

astral fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 17, 2018

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:siren: Firefox SALR Redux v2.1.8.13a7 is out on addons.mozilla.org!

Notes:

quote:

• Fix mouse gesture navigation where, with the toggle mode disabled, whether the context menu showed up was still depending on the previously-set state of the toggle.
  • With the toggle mode disabled, the context menu will be suppressed upon a successful gesture (Windows only - other OSes context menus work differently so things may behave differently; at this point, toggle mode is recommended for other OSes if you want the gesture nav)
  • Fix the little graphical indicator while making a mouse gesture so it doesn't flail wildly as you reach the right side
  • Fix quick reply paste handler not working in Firefox
  • Fix missing list tag in quick reply preview parser; list tags should render more nicely now
  • Also added settings UI for avatar toggling, and fixed the default option for hiding avatars not being set in some circumstances.
  • Also includes a change from SOAP to SAARS for avatar listing

Previous notes:

quote:

• Updated thread links to point to the new SALR thread
  • Fixed hotkeys (quick reply formatting & thread navigation)
  • Fixed emotes not showing up in quick preview pane

quote:

• YOU CAN NOW MIGRATE YOUR NOTES/HIDDEN AVATARS FROM LEGACY FIREFOX SALR (even if you have already updated your Firefox to 57+)!
    First, make sure you're using at least version 2.1.8.13a5 of SALR Redux for the best experience (older versions will still work, but the settings output button adds in some junk).
    Then, visit the SALR Migration Station and follow its instructions:
    https://salr-firefox.github.io/migrationstation/
    Note: Legacy SALR Migration Station, like the Firefox SALR Redux, is considered alpha quality.
    If you're still on ESR I recommend waiting for the final version of legacy SALR with built-in migration for more personalized options, but the website works too if you don't want to wait / don't mind re-setting your other settings.

astral fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 17, 2018

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

One small thing that legacy SALR did and I'd like to see here is the ability to override the quick reply window and use the normal reply page (legacy just put a smaller button next to the quote/reply button).

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I've discovered that the "Enable toggling of individual user avatars" requires the "Enable user notes" option to be enabled. You should make the avatar toggle option a sub-option of user notes.

Under "Image Display Options", under the "Linked-Image Hover" section, the "Only show filename, not whole URL" option is not properly disabled (the checkbox can still be checked).

Finally, I've noticed that the "Configure SALR" link in the forum header is no longer opening my options page. It would also be nice if we had the ability to open up the SALR options via the grenade icon, too.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Nalin posted:

I've discovered that the "Enable toggling of individual user avatars" requires the "Enable user notes" option to be enabled. You should make the avatar toggle option a sub-option of user notes.

This is a temporary limitation, and it will not remain this way.

quote:

Under "Image Display Options", under the "Linked-Image Hover" section, the "Only show filename, not whole URL" option is not properly disabled (the checkbox can still be checked).

Good find!

quote:

Finally, I've noticed that the "Configure SALR" link in the forum header is no longer opening my options page.

This should've been caused on extension update (the existing content scripts get broken) and should be resolved if you reload the affected page(s) (and not affect any newly-opened ones).

quote:

It would also be nice if we had the ability to open up the SALR options via the grenade icon, too.

I agree!

Helter Skelter posted:

One small thing that legacy SALR did and I'd like to see here is the ability to override the quick reply window and use the normal reply page (legacy just put a smaller button next to the quote/reply button).

I agree with this, too!

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

astral posted:

This should've been caused on extension update (the existing content scripts get broken) and should be resolved if you reload the affected page(s) (and not affect any newly-opened ones).

So, for me, this didn't work. Yes, I updated the extension, but reloading the page and opening new pages were all broken. I had to fully restart my browser in order to fix it. I'm not sure if this was a one-time thing or not.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Nalin posted:

So, for me, this didn't work. Yes, I updated the extension, but reloading the page and opening new pages were all broken. I had to fully restart my browser in order to fix it. I'm not sure if this was a one-time thing or not.

That is bizarre and sounds like something lower-level went wrong with Firefox itself. Hopefully it won't happen again; let me know if it does.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

astral posted:

Everything is as it should; that's really bizarre. I'll try to get a CSS fix into the next update that should help.

The bar disappeared with the update. Thanks for the work on this.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

astral posted:

Two possibilities come to mind right away: Do you have Firefox set to clear history when it closes, or are you always browsing privately?

Ultimately this may come down to SALR Redux still using localStorage to store (most of) its extension data, which is vulnerable to a few things. Eventually it'll get migrated to use storage.local/storage.sync which only should get cleared if you uninstall the extension entirely.

Yeah I clear the history when I close, is there anything that I can whitelist through Firefox not to clean to get this to stick?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

What does the "enable retina images" option do?

For good measure, another small grab bag of entirely optional, extremely low priority feature requests:

It'd be good if in the process of resizing images, there was a check if the image is 3 times taller than it's wide or more, and if so, to let go of the vertical restriction. Something like that. I'm seeing some ridiculously narrow screenshots of social media conversations that end up being illegible because their height is restricted. I'm thinking the "worst" aspect ratio for actual photos is going to be 1:2 due to there being phones with screens like that, which isn't a problem with how resizing works currently.

And going back to something that someone said way back in the Firefox thread, if it's easy to force every (thread/thread page/go to last post) link on the user control panel or bookmarks page to open in a new tab, or to make that conditional to the source page being a pinned tab, either of those would help me out a lot on a touch device and on other computers where Tab Mix Plus has hosed up my muscle memory in the past.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

No. 9 posted:

Yeah I clear the history when I close, is there anything that I can whitelist through Firefox not to clean to get this to stick?

To be completely honest I have no idea if it's possible or, if it is, what options you'd have to leave not-cleared.

The best solution will be us migrating where the extension stores the data from localStorage to chrome.storage.local.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

What does the "enable retina images" option do?

Replaces some emotes, it seems.

quote:

For good measure, another small grab bag of entirely optional, extremely low priority feature requests:

It'd be good if in the process of resizing images, there was a check if the image is 3 times taller than it's wide or more, and if so, to let go of the vertical restriction. Something like that. I'm seeing some ridiculously narrow screenshots of social media conversations that end up being illegible because their height is restricted. I'm thinking the "worst" aspect ratio for actual photos is going to be 1:2 due to there being phones with screens like that, which isn't a problem with how resizing works currently.

Is image resizing even necessary these days?

quote:

And going back to something that someone said way back in the Firefox thread, if it's easy to force every (thread/thread page/go to last post) link on the user control panel or bookmarks page to open in a new tab, or to make that conditional to the source page being a pinned tab, either of those would help me out a lot on a touch device and on other computers where Tab Mix Plus has hosed up my muscle memory in the past.

I was actually working on something like this for Legacy SALR; originally it was just going to be an option for the go to last post buttons in User Control Panel to open in a new tab.

Pinned tab detection, which ought to be possible, to just make all the thread links open in a new tab would indeed be an elegant solution.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

I also have the settings not saving bug, just so you know it's not an isolated incident.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Settings seem to be saving for me though.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Stormangel posted:

I also have the settings not saving bug, just so you know it's not an isolated incident.

Do you also have Firefox set to clear history when it closes, or are you always browsing privately? Both of those things will 100% erase SALR's settings.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

astral posted:

It's not necessary anymore to protect against table breakage or anything like that. But it's aesthetically pleasing to have pictures fit the viewport for the anal retentive types. The existing code mostly suffices for that. and then it's marginally annoying to have to open the occasional overly narrow picture in a new tab. I wouldn't like to see you work on suggestions you can't muster any enthusiasm for. I can deal with it one way or another.

Thanks for the other answers as well. Really happy that open in new tab stuff could possibly be a thing at some point.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

astral posted:

Do you also have Firefox set to clear history when it closes, or are you always browsing privately? Both of those things will 100% erase SALR's settings.

I just checked and yes, turning off clear history fixed it. I didn't think I had that turned on.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

astral posted:

tbh just replace it with an optional CSS rule to set a max-width on images to be the width of the post area, and a max-height to be like 0.9vh and be done with it. We didn't have this fancy-pants max dimension stuff back in my day. In those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say. And then you'd write some Javascript to resize large images.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Man, there's a fuckton of Goon Mercy-lovers...

(I like playing Mercy too. Also, Moira and Lucio.)

astral
Apr 26, 2004

biznatchio posted:

tbh just replace it with an optional CSS rule to set a max-width on images to be the width of the post area, and a max-height to be like 0.9vh and be done with it. We didn't have this fancy-pants max dimension stuff back in my day. In those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say. And then you'd write some Javascript to resize large images.

Sounds good to me; the forums already set a max-width so whatever setting could likely be modified to just apply some vh max-height CSS.

---

Nalin posted:

astral posted:

This is a temporary limitation, and it will not remain this way.

Follow-up: this has been fixed for the next salr redux firefox alpha/beta release.

The order of all those added buttons is subject to shift around a bit between now and final release as things get reorganized in the code so it doesn't iterate through the post table so much; the final button order is also TBD.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
So I'm dumb and I can't find the file to migrate my old settings to the new SALR. I'm on Windows 10 in Firefox.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

vortmax posted:

So I'm dumb and I can't find the file to migrate my old settings to the new SALR. I'm on Windows 10 in Firefox.

Go to about :support and on the line that says "Profile Folder", click "Open Folder" - the folder that opens is where salastread.sqlite would live.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

astral posted:

Go to about :support and on the line that says "Profile Folder", click "Open Folder" - the folder that opens is where salastread.sqlite would live.

:kiss: Thanks again for working on this!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Suggestions. Not sure if I should log it here or not. Tried the Imgur uploader for the first time.

1] Maybe add a file selection dialog along with drag and drop?? My monitor isn't the highest res and sometimes it can be a hassle moving windows around to be able to drag and drop.

2] Default to timg instead of img? Had I not been paying attention (first time), I could have ended up with a probie for table breaking.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Samizdata posted:

Suggestions. Not sure if I should log it here or not. Tried the Imgur uploader for the first time.

1] Maybe add a file selection dialog along with drag and drop?? My monitor isn't the highest res and sometimes it can be a hassle moving windows around to be able to drag and drop.

2] Default to timg instead of img? Had I not been paying attention (first time), I could have ended up with a probie for table breaking.

Forums auto-scale the width on regular images, so there's no longer a need for automatic timg, or even the option for it. If you're still worried (perhaps because of a super-tall image), you can still add the `t` yourself.

For the drag and drop, I don't disagree that there ought to be a file selection offered; for now, if you're on Windows I can offer some possible help: you can focus Firefox without having to move windows around by hovering said image on the Firefox window entry on your taskbar, then proceed to drag it onto the drop pad.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

astral posted:

Forums auto-scale the width on regular images, so there's no longer a need for automatic timg, or even the option for it. If you're still worried (perhaps because of a super-tall image), you can still add the `t` yourself.

Some threads in PYF (and probably other places) have mandatory TIMG requirements. Maybe it could be made a default disabled option?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

astral posted:

For the drag and drop, I don't disagree that there ought to be a file selection offered; for now, if you're on Windows I can offer some possible help: you can focus Firefox without having to move windows around by hovering said image on the Firefox window entry on your taskbar, then proceed to drag it onto the drop pad.

Well, the preview of an uploaded image looked like it might break a table, and I once got probation for table breaking, so maybe I skew a little overly cautious.

Cheers for the heads up. Although this is not the only thing I find frustrating with the drag and drop. I use a program called Filebot, which is the only program I know of with its functionality and it is drag and drop only.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Three bugs to report:

When hitting the "go to last read" button while "Last post button reloads the current thread to check for new posts instead of scrolling to an unread post" is checked on the first page of a thread, it will only reload the first page instead of going to the first new post. This behavior only seems to happen on the first page.

Secondly, hitting a tag in the list will not put it under the cursor, but instead at the end of the message. This behavior only happens when text isn't highlighted (when text is highlighted, it works as one would expect, putting the tags around the highlighted text).

e: another bug found, or well, annoyance, timg tagged images show up stupidly tiny in the preview.

e2: the first bug only shows up when "&pagenumber=" is not in the URL. If you click directly on the page 1 link it will work, but if you click on the thread title it will not.

iospace fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 22, 2018

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It was probably reported already, but I've got trouble actually posting on Firefox - clicking "reply" or "quote" often does not work unless you reload the page (and even then it's not always).

astral
Apr 26, 2004

iospace posted:

Three bugs to report:

When hitting the "go to last read" button while "Last post button reloads the current thread to check for new posts instead of scrolling to an unread post" is checked on the first page of a thread, it will only reload the first page instead of going to the first new post. This behavior only seems to happen on the first page.

Secondly, hitting a tag in the list will not put it under the cursor, but instead at the end of the message. This behavior only happens when text isn't highlighted (when text is highlighted, it works as one would expect, putting the tags around the highlighted text).

e: another bug found, or well, annoyance, timg tagged images show up stupidly tiny in the preview.

e2: the first bug only shows up when "&pagenumber=" is not in the URL. If you click directly on the page 1 link it will work, but if you click on the thread title it will not.

Thanks for the reports!

anilEhilated posted:

It was probably reported already, but I've got trouble actually posting on Firefox - clicking "reply" or "quote" often does not work unless you reload the page (and even then it's not always).

You're the first one, unless you're:
1) trying to quick reply from pages you did not reload after updating the extension, or
2) trying to quick reply with third-party cookies disabled in Firefox 57 or lower.

Do either of these apply?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
No. Sometimes it just does nothing - and it's not just quick reply, but edit and quote too. Something to look into when there's time I suppose.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

No. Sometimes it just does nothing - and it's not just quick reply, but edit and quote too. Something to look into when there's time I suppose.

When you say it does not work/does nothing, does the quick reply(/quote/edit/whichever) window not pop up at all, or it pops up but does not let you type anything in, or it pops up and lets you type stuff in, but there is trouble submitting the new post?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:siren: Firefox SALR Redux v2.1.8.13a8 is out on addons.mozilla.org!

Notes:

quote:

• Avatar toggling fixes/improvements
  • Sub-sub-options on settings page now disable/dim correctly
  • Improved performance of settings page
  • Fix three-pages setting not working on bookmarkthreads page
  • Improves formatting of "Open updated threads" link (thanks, forums poster Measly Twerp!)

Previous notes:

quote:

• Fix mouse gesture navigation where, with the toggle mode disabled, whether the context menu showed up was still depending on the previously-set state of the toggle.
  • With the toggle mode disabled, the context menu will be suppressed upon a successful gesture (Windows only - other OSes context menus work differently so things may behave differently; at this point, toggle mode is recommended for other OSes if you want the gesture nav)
  • Fix the little graphical indicator while making a mouse gesture so it doesn't flail wildly as you reach the right side
  • Fix quick reply paste handler not working in Firefox
  • Fix missing list tag in quick reply preview parser; list tags should render more nicely now
  • Also added settings UI for avatar toggling, and fixed the default option for hiding avatars not being set in some circumstances.
  • Also includes a change from SOAP to SAARS for avatar listing

quote:

• Updated thread links to point to the new SALR thread
  • Fixed hotkeys (quick reply formatting & thread navigation)
  • Fixed emotes not showing up in quick preview pane

quote:

• YOU CAN NOW MIGRATE YOUR NOTES/HIDDEN AVATARS FROM LEGACY FIREFOX SALR (even if you have already updated your Firefox to 57+)!
    First, make sure you're using at least version 2.1.8.13a5 of SALR Redux for the best experience (older versions will still work, but the settings output button adds in some junk).
    Then, visit the SALR Migration Station and follow its instructions:
    https://salr-firefox.github.io/migrationstation/
    Note: Legacy SALR Migration Station, like the Firefox SALR Redux, is considered alpha quality.
    If you're still on ESR I recommend waiting for the final version of legacy SALR with built-in migration for more personalized options, but the website works too if you don't want to wait / don't mind re-setting your other settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

astral posted:

When you say it does not work/does nothing, does the quick reply(/quote/edit/whichever) window not pop up at all, or it pops up but does not let you type anything in, or it pops up and lets you type stuff in, but there is trouble submitting the new post?
It doesn't pop up.