Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Fiedler posted:

nah. gently caress that.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

uncurable mlady posted:

i just looked up knights tour and lol. what does your company do again?

not anything that knights tour would be useful for.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
writing tests first is cool and good iff the new behavior is clearly specified

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

raminasi posted:

even then if the test suite is strangely defined, difficult to use, or super slow, it might be quicker to jump straight to the implementation

which I think is a failing of mine tbqh

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

dogmatic tdd is dumb

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Bloody posted:

being dogmatic is dumb

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

new thread title

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

Rex-Goliath posted:

i can’t believe i never realized this but having a candidate write tests for a piece of your already existing code would be real good interview material

Giving interviewees a legitimate reason to add a boilerplate copyright to the top of their fix buzz is not good interview material.

qhat posted:

Ask them how to unit test a function that calls to a remote database when you can't guarantee a network connection at the time of test execution. That can sometimes be a pretty good way to sift out peasants.

If you ask someone to unit test a function and it results in a database call, successful or not, they've failed to make a unit test.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I did an interview recently on skype. The guy was talking to me, reading and asking about every item on my resume... All this while driving. :psyduck:

And this is not the first time this happened.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

TimWinter posted:

Giving interviewees a legitimate reason to add a boilerplate copyright to the top of their fix buzz is not good interview material.

If you ask someone to unit test a function and it results in a database call, successful or not, they've failed to make a unit test.

The point is that the unit test should not result in the database call in order to succeed at the question.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i've got a phone screen/interview with amazon next week. i dont really want to work there but i do want to start going through difficult interview processes because they cause me a lot of anxiety.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Pollyanna posted:

even then if the test suite is strangely defined, difficult to use, or super slow, it might be quicker to jump straight to the implementation

which I think is a failing of mine tbqh

Write a better test suite. :shrug:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

raminasi posted:

if the behavior is clearly specified you’ll probably do a good job coding it no matter how or when you write your tests, tbh

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

jesus WEP posted:

if the behavior is clearly specified you’ll probably do a good job coding it no matter how or when you write your tests, tbh

lol

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

has anyone used https://www.vettery.com/ ?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the joke is that behavior is never well specified :razz:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

jesus WEP posted:

DON'T YOU KNOW WHERE YOU ARE?

YOUR IN THE YOSPOS BITHC

NAAA NAA NAA NAAAAAA

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

jesus WEP posted:

the joke is that behavior is never well specified :razz:

The joke is that even well defined behavior can contain bugs when written and you seem to have selectively dismissed this as a possibility.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

I signed up for it because why not but I haven't gotten any traffic from it yet... They're advertising like crazy on linked in; the service itself seems kinda shoddy

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

had one of their marketing peeps reaching out to me to get me to join, just bad timing

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lol i can’t even remember how many job startups i signed up for during my last hunt only to get nothing but radio silence and then them suddenly reaching out to me a year+ later all, ‘oh yeah’

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

lol i can’t even remember how many job startups i signed up for during my last hunt only to get nothing but radio silence and then them suddenly reaching out to me a year+ later all, ‘oh yeah’

I had one of them actually pass on even listing my profile, I don't really have any UI experience and I think they wanted people like that... anyway a year later I got an email "We're really sorry we couldn't help you out... do you have any friends that are looking"

Sorry it didn't work out, do you have any hot friends?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

they emailed me too which is why I was asking

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
still haven't gotten an interview yet (7 weeks of hunting), but today i got three linkedin recruiter messages, two messages from internal recruiters, and one message from an agency that actually listed the client and position in the message and it's actually a good match for me, so yay.

unfortunately one of the companies is tesla

still gonna do the interview, just for practice

one of the other companies is a chinese refrigeration equipment manufacturer interested in 'ai firmware' so hmm, definitely going to that interview in 'practice mode' too

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I had a SpaceX internal recruiter reach out and I was like I’m totally unqualified for this position and there’s no way I’m moving to California but I’ll 100% take your call anyways.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
i decided to just blow off meeting with jobspring

im gonna do more tv show work instead :hellyeah:

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

meatpotato posted:

Well done.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Diva Cupcake posted:

I had a SpaceX internal recruiter reach out and I was like I’m totally unqualified for this position and there’s no way I’m moving to California but I’ll 100% take your call anyways.

what about the Seattle area

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
got ghosted after my take home test :(

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

What's the biggest red flag you've seen in a glassdoor review. Bonus points for unintentional ones.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

pointsofdata posted:

What's the biggest red flag you've seen in a glassdoor review. Bonus points for unintentional ones.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/C...tStatus=UNKNOWN

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

meatpotato posted:

looking forward to your cameo on the next season of Silicon Valley

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

pointsofdata posted:

For me it's always a yellow flag when a reviewer puts their job title as the title of the review, although Glassdoor is mostly at fault for that. Red flags are the lone five-star, slightly paternal review in the sea of negative reviews. Experts Exchange has one for a position that never existed. I tried reporting it, to no avail.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

pointsofdata posted:

a company rating >= 4 because it 100% means they're astroturfing

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I found a company that's ~85% one-liner 5 star ratings with the rest describing dysfunction and sweatshop-like working conditions at length. averages out to a 3.5 company rating. they might want me for a backend role but I'm kind of hesitant

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the average review should be "its fine i guess :shrug:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Munkeymon posted:

looking forward to your cameo on the next season of Silicon Valley

yospos, bithc

it’s not silicon valley :(