Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
ive managed to stave off the temptation to end it all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
also uk boys lets get the salary chat going

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The Management posted:

a Facebook recruiter hit me up yesterday. how do I tell her that everyone hates them and their stock is not going anywhere and I would be ashamed to work there, but also if you give me a fuckton of money and everything I want I’ll consider it?
"I'll gently caress you, but it's strictly a hate gently caress."

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Valeyard posted:

also uk boys lets get the salary chat going

This won't take long

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

Places that do one-sided video interviewing should die in a fire.

Even if it's a gangbang, at least do me the common goddamn courtesy of picking one of the interviewers as a face so I have a loving human being to interact with rather than you fuckers all silently judging whether I'm young enough based on my hairline as I stare sullenly into the inky blackness of my screen.

did you try turning your monitor on?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

i think i hate interviewing people. my interviewing partner seems to think that every candidate is fantastic but they don’t really stand out that much. maybe im just being too hard on them? honestly can’t tell anymore.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I've interviewed a lot of people this year and I can say without a doubt: most candidates are bad, and can't answer the most basic of questions.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

I've interviewed a lot of people this year and I can say without a doubt: most candidates are bad, and can't answer the most basic of questions.

yeah. it's crazy. where do they come from?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

akadajet posted:

the worst candidates have to keep interviewing so

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Recruiters send them to us so of course the standards are very low

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
imagine a room w/ 10 peeps
5 can't fizzbuzz, 4 are deec, 1 is actually good

that 1 does 10 or so interviews, gets 2 or 3 offers, takes one
4 do 20 or so interviews each, gets 2 or 3 offers, takes one
5 do 50 or so interviews each, gets the one offer, takes it

so 10 peeps do like 300something interviews and nearly all of them are w/ poo poo peeps

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

akadajet posted:

bootcamps....

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

shouldn't these people doing all these interviews get better at them by virtue of having done so many of them?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

bob dobbs is dead posted:

imagine a room w/ 10 peeps
5 can't fizzbuzz, 4 are deec, 1 is actually good

that 1 does 10 or so interviews, gets 2 or 3 offers, takes one
4 do 20 or so interviews each, gets 2 or 3 offers, takes one
5 do 50 or so interviews each, gets the one offer, takes it

so 10 peeps do like 300something interviews and nearly all of them are w/ poo poo peeps

this, except, the numbers are way worse

the best guy in the ten changes jobs once a decade, sends zero apps, and does one interview. you never had a chance at that fucker.

the next six change jobs every three years, each do three or four interviews. good luck finding this lot, ecause...

the bottom three are fired or quit just about every year, and they’re sending thousands of applications and doing hundreds of interviews across lengthy periods of unemployment

like 99% of your time in recruiting is spent on people so bad it’s unimaginable that they would be suitable for ANY position. it is the mother of all loving adverse selection problems

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Acer Pilot posted:

shouldn't these people doing all these interviews get better at them by virtue of having done so many of them?

there is always another bottom feeder

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this, except, the numbers are way worse

the best guy in the ten changes jobs once a decade, sends zero apps, and does one interview. you never had a chance at that fucker.

the next six change jobs every three years, each do three or four interviews. good luck finding this lot, ecause...

the bottom three are fired or quit just about every year, and they’re sending thousands of applications and doing hundreds of interviews across lengthy periods of unemployment

like 99% of your time in recruiting is spent on people so bad it’s unimaginable that they would be suitable for ANY position. it is the mother of all loving adverse selection problems

fwiw if someone is only changing tech jobs once a decade then that's a bad sign of its own imo. the best people ive worked with tend to switch every 3 or so. i think a factor in that timing is the standard 4yr equity grant schedule (whether rsus or options)

but yeah when they do switch it's usually a matter of interviewing 1-2 places, usually under circumstances where someone already knows them or has heard of what they worked on at the destination

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Acer Pilot posted:

i think i hate interviewing people. my interviewing partner seems to think that every candidate is fantastic but they don’t really stand out that much. maybe im just being too hard on them? honestly can’t tell anymore.

There's a guy at my current place like that and I'm having to constantly knock him down a peg because he never asks probing questions and accepts lazy half answers as proof the person knows what they're on about. He also is not good at asking questions in a way that isn't completely confusing. It's just lack of experience I'd say.

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

ffffffuuuuuuucccccckkkkkkk job hunting

hear my tale of woe;

currently in a steady, easy, but extremely boring job. was not actively looking but starting to think about it. towards the end of july a recruiting agency which i had had success with in the past approaches me about a job that is tangentially related to what I currently do. they ask what kind of pay I would be looking for so i name a figure i thought would be at least 25% over the max for the position. they say that that’s reasonable and ask when I would be available to interview. the date gets set for early august and I figure out what the company is the position isn’t listed on their website, i assume because the recruiter is handling everything. the company is employee owned and seems to put a heavy influence on employee enrichment and happiness. great this could be awesome I begin to think to myself. I interview, it goes well, they give me details about career path, timelines, insurance (extremely good), etc. immediately after the interview I check in with recruiter, they tell me that they have a call very soon with the company and they will have likely made a decision. great excellent. about an hour after that recruiter calls back and tells me the company loved me and thought I would be a great fit, are giving me a soft offer and to anticipate a hard offer by the end of the week. wow perfect this was the easiest process ever. the end of the week passes, I check in with recruiter. oh they are just waiting on a signature from some dude who’s on vacation and will be back the following week. ok not too bad, I can wait a week. the week passes, the recruiter calls; oh they’re having a company wide conference in 2 weeks and want to wait until after that to hire anyone. hmmmmm a little concerned but ok I’m not unemployed I can wait a bit longer. conference comes and goes, recruiter says, uh oh they did some reorganization and may not actually want to hire anyone at this time, they now want to wait until q4 to re-evaluate. awwww poops maybe there’s still a chance. waiting waiting, q4 begins. recruiter calls says they have a meeting scheduled to “determine their position with the company”. recruiter goes silent. yesterday the company posts the position on their website. fuckkkkkk i apply and message the person I had interviewed with through linkedin. not a peep yet. how boned am I? am I right in assuming that company has kicked the recruiter to the curb? and that there may be some contractual thingie that would prevent them from pursuing me on their own?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

KoRMaK posted:

bootcamps....

poo poo, that would at least explain things. but these peeps have like 4 year cs degrees and years of experience on their resumes

and then they can't explain what a for loop is

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
add some endlines to that or source your quotes my dude

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Ragtime All The Time posted:

hear my tale of woe;

currently in a steady, easy, but extremely boring job. was not actively looking but starting to think about it. towards the end of july a recruiting agency which i had had success with in the past approaches me about a job that is tangentially related to what I currently do. they ask what kind of pay I would be looking for so i name a figure i thought would be at least 25% over the max for the position. they say that that’s reasonable and ask when I would be available to interview. the date gets set for early august and I figure out what the company is the position isn’t listed on their website, i assume because the recruiter is handling everything. the company is employee owned and seems to put a heavy influence on employee enrichment and happiness. great this could be awesome I begin to think to myself. I interview, it goes well, they give me details about career path, timelines, insurance (extremely good), etc. immediately after the interview I check in with recruiter, they tell me that they have a call very soon with the company and they will have likely made a decision. great excellent. about an hour after that recruiter calls back and tells me the company loved me and thought I would be a great fit, are giving me a soft offer and to anticipate a hard offer by the end of the week. wow perfect this was the easiest process ever. the end of the week passes, I check in with recruiter. oh they are just waiting on a signature from some dude who’s on vacation and will be back the following week. ok not too bad, I can wait a week. the week passes, the recruiter calls; oh they’re having a company wide conference in 2 weeks and want to wait until after that to hire anyone. hmmmmm a little concerned but ok I’m not unemployed I can wait a bit longer. conference comes and goes, recruiter says, uh oh they did some reorganization and may not actually want to hire anyone at this time, they now want to wait until q4 to re-evaluate. awwww poops maybe there’s still a chance. waiting waiting, q4 begins. recruiter calls says they have a meeting scheduled to “determine their position with the company”. recruiter goes silent. yesterday the company posts the position on their website. fuckkkkkk i apply and message the person I had interviewed with through linkedin. not a peep yet. how boned am I? am I right in assuming that company has kicked the recruiter to the curb? and that there may be some contractual thingie that would prevent them from pursuing me on their own?

just keep looking man lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

never stop looking until you have a firm offer in hand

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I've worked for places that would have a potential contract about to fall in their lap, but it wasn't solid. So they would string along candidates until the contract fell through and then ghost them. It was super lovely.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

akadajet posted:

I've worked for places that would have a potential contract about to fall in their lap, but it wasn't solid. So they would string along candidates until the contract fell through and then ghost them. It was super lovely.

ugh

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
God dammit does interviewing suck. There has to be a better way of doing it.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I could probably get a job easily, if I were willing to be slotted right back into the same kind of dead-end work that I was doing before. however that would only lead to someday being the geezer who rants that kids these days don't appreciate COBOL, no thanks

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

akadajet posted:

never stop looking until you are sitting in the chair in the office you will be working

Ftfy

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

God dammit does interviewing suck. There has to be a better way of doing it.

Nope, interviewing is garbage, good luck

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

akadajet posted:

never stop looking until you have a firm offer in hand
until you are handed your building access badge and have confirmed that it works

"firm" offers sometimes evaporate in the eleventh hour

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

I could probably get a job easily, if I were willing to be slotted right back into the same kind of dead-end work that I was doing before. however that would only lead to someday being the geezer who rants that kids these days don't appreciate COBOL, no thanks

cobol is more or less fine, compared to what came before it

you will be a geezer someday no matter what

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Ragtime All The Time posted:

hear my tale of woe;

... :words: ...

how boned am I? am I right in assuming that company has kicked the recruiter to the curb? and that there may be some contractual thingie that would prevent them from pursuing me on their own?

negotiations broke down. odds are, you're too fuckin expensive

it happens, no big deal. move on.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

cobol is more or less fine, compared to what came before it
see?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

face your destiny

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

negotiations broke down. odds are, you're too fuckin expensive

it happens, no big deal. move on.

yeah could well be. when I initially gave the recruiter a number I was trying to blow them off because I wasn’t really looking at them time. my only teammate here quit recently to be a full time mom, leaving me all alone. time to try leverage that at least into more money

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

LA austin boston

(you may not want to count the bay as one, unless you like commuting oakland to san jose)

Raleigh and Pittsburgh

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Maximo Roboto posted:

Raleigh and Pittsburgh

lol

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Maximo Roboto posted:

Raleigh and Pittsburgh
it's probably actually this. Microsoft in particular has been hiring like crazy around Pittsburgh since they acquired Avere earlier this year

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

it's probably actually this. Microsoft in particular has been hiring like crazy around Pittsburgh since they acquired Avere earlier this year

Yeah about Raleigh and Microsoft...

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
what tech is even in raleigh? i've never heard of it outside of american capital cities quizzes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Corla Plankun posted:

what tech is even in raleigh? i've never heard of it outside of american capital cities quizzes
https://www.rtp.org/directory-map/