Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

took a vacation day to do interviews. lots of interesting possibilities but I can’t stop thinking about the weird basement one where two nice and polite devs would ask me questions and the CIO would butt in whenever possible to try and show that I’m not the right canditate, and also eagerly try to prove that I didn’t want the job. the devs would fall silent and look away like battered housewives every time it happened. this allowed him time to tell us about what it’s really like in IT and the real world.

anyway can’t wait to see what kind of offer they throw at me!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bitchtard posted:

took a vacation day to do interviews. lots of interesting possibilities but I can’t stop thinking about the weird basement one where two nice and polite devs would ask me questions and the CIO would butt in whenever possible to try and show that I’m not the right canditate, and also eagerly try to prove that I didn’t want the job. the devs would fall silent and look away like battered housewives every time it happened. this allowed him time to tell us about what it’s really like in IT and the real world.

anyway can’t wait to see what kind of offer they throw at me!!!!

well it was a good interview in the sense that it gave you an idea of what working there would be like lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Captain Foo posted:

they already got back to me and want to do a follow-up call to re-go over salary expectations and start date availability in case they make me an offer

give me the big dicc salary advice which i know has been posted 37 times in this thread already

the short version is: always ask for more money, even if the first offer seems ok to you. never hurts to ask for 5% more, right? if they say "no," there's no wiggle room on salary, ask for more vacation time. if they say no to that, too, well, at least you asked.

if you want more detail, buy the loving book. it's short.

https://www.amazon.com/How-Make-Thousand-Dollars-Minute/dp/0898151910

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
today i had an application that asked for expected pay and had a necessary asterix. i just put "negotiable"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I was able to get through the first part of negotiation without saying a concrete number and pushing them to the top of their range, so let's see what number they actually come back with

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
waiting on an offer letter from a company I've been contracting with on the side from my full time job. when they asked for salary requirements I was soooooo tempted to just request my current salary because I really wanted the job but I thought back to this thread and added $10k to my current salary because gently caress it why not. person doing the hiring says that I will be happy with what comes back so I'm betting I'll get it.

do always upsell, do always negotiate

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
You didn't actually listen to us if you gave a number first

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Pendragon posted:

waiting on an offer letter from a company I've been contracting with on the side from my full time job. when they asked for salary requirements I was soooooo tempted to just request my current salary because I really wanted the job but I thought back to this thread and added $10k to my current salary because gently caress it why not. person doing the hiring says that I will be happy with what comes back so I'm betting I'll get it.

do always upsell, do always negotiate

lol you’re getting the bottom of their band and it sounds like you would have gotten it even if you’d given your salary

baby steps though. took me a while to not gently caress that up too

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

even if you Really Want The Job you gotta give a better number than your current salary

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.
I made a linkedin account at the beginning of the month. It is basically my resume. Looking at the job board, it seems the posts are just as terrible as any other. Also I've only had five garbage recruiter messages, which I've left sitting with no reply as it costs them :10bux: per unanswered message from what I've read. I do tweak my profile every few days because I've also read this keeps it in the active pile. Am I using this web site wrong? Maybe I just don't "get" it.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

mekkanare posted:

I made a linkedin account at the beginning of the month. It is basically my resume. Looking at the job board, it seems the posts are just as terrible as any other. Also I've only had five garbage recruiter messages, which I've left sitting with no reply as it costs them :10bux: per unanswered message from what I've read. I do tweak my profile every few days because I've also read this keeps it in the active pile. Am I using this web site wrong? Maybe I just don't "get" it.

linkedin is for vaguely keeping in touch with professional contacts

its not for getting a job (except through networking with people you know)

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

linkedin is for vaguely keeping in touch with professional contacts

its not for getting a job (except through networking with people you know)

My 3 most recent jobs have all been through linkedin, either by my applying directly, or in one case being recruited directly.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

yeah the headhunter i’m talking to now found me through linkedin. there’s gold in them mines

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Submitted a resume on a nice looking company's official email, didn't get a response, got a recruiter contacting me on LinkedIn and it happened to be that company, unrelated to my resume submittal.

And now I'm working there.

I wish I knew about this thread during my job search though

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i've gotten one good lead ever off linkedin, but an unbelievable torrent of contacts

the signal/noise ratio isn't real good

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I got my current job off linkedin and it's pretty good. There is an awful lot of garbage coming in, but it's not even 10% as bad as straight up posting your resume on indeed.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
got a fone interview. my first computer job one so i gave myself the weekend to study / prepare. its for systems engineering which is probably my weakest skillset. either way they responded to a shittier old resume so who knows

should be a good learning xp either way. if (when) i get rejected is there a proven method for extracting honest feedback?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Scott Baio Nudes posted:

should be a good learning xp either way. if (when) i get rejected is there a proven method for extracting honest feedback?
there really isnt (though theres no harm in asking)

theres nothing in it for the company to give you honest feedback. the more they say, the more they leave themselves open to a lawsuit for improper hiring practices (the same logic applies to explain why its so hard to get candid references from people). so much safer just to say "we decided to go with another candidate, best of luck on your continued job search".

also: good luck!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

talked to the recruiter round two: he gave me a few practice questions and went deeper into my resume just to make sure we’d be a match. it went extremely well and i’m starting to think i may consider this job not just due to the money but because the role is much more aligned with what i think i’m good at and enjoy doing. we decided to move forwards and the recruiter said he’d get me past the bullshit hr and tech screen interviews and i’d be talking directly with the vp i’d be working under so :toot: to that too

man i wasn’t even on the market so it’s good that the recruiter was extremely up front in his opening message on linkedin because i would have ignored it otherwise. the best part is if this all falls through i’m still working at a place i enjoy

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah LinkedIn has the highest signal to noise of the internet boards I've used

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

I got my current job off linkedin and it's pretty good. There is an awful lot of garbage coming in, but it's not even 10% as bad as straight up posting your resume on indeed.

i have had precisely the inverse experience

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Does your profile picture show off your shoes?

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.
Thanks for the information, everyone. I'll just keep using it for the job board section.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

over the three years i’ve been working here i’ve probably responded to two out of the hundred+ garbage messages i’ve gotten. i still consider that a pretty decent ratio.

first response was to one of our competitors who’s product kinda sucked and i just wanted to test the waters. second response is the peeps i’m talking to now

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

my job pays well but not very well, i dont have to work that hard, and i live 10 minutes from my office. but i want to live somewhere that isnt a shoebox apartment and i really want to leave the bay area. how do i get over being extremely picky about jobs im willing to consider. :itisamystery:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Being picky is a good thing when it comes to jobs?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i feel like i might be too picky though. is it wrong, when a recruiter contacts you, to open with "whats the pay"? i've been with my current company for 5 years and before that i was working a cavalcade of menial prole jobs so i still have the mindset of not knowing how to dictate the terms of what i want or having the upper hand in looking for a job.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

my bitter bi rival posted:

i feel like i might be too picky though. is it wrong, when a recruiter contacts you, to open with "whats the pay"? i've been with my current company for 5 years and before that i was working a cavalcade of menial prole jobs so i still have the mindset of not knowing how to dictate the terms of what i want or having the upper hand in looking for a job.

no

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

had a couple phone interviews today, one of them gave me the ratbert problem

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Never talk numbers until you are getting an offer, this goes both ways. 95% of the time they'll brush it off with "we're flexible, we're interested in finding the right person and then discussing a fair compensation", which is basically what you should be doing in reverse if they ask you about money that early. Demanding compensation talk at the start can shut the conversation down right there, and you can probably find out the bottom end of the range from glassdoor anyway.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

if it’s a giant company you can just ask for the “level” of the job and google that

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Also relevant post from the last page which seems like a decent exception to the rule. You're probably not this exception.

qirex posted:

I brought it up early constantly in my last job search but that's mostly because "senior designer" is a job title with a like 200k wide salary band

even lead/principal jobs I was being sent had some crazy low ranges

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

recruiters don't usually know very much and they guess

at least that lets you eliminate the obviously-stupid positions

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

mekkanare posted:

linkedin contacts are super unevenly distributed in time. i’ve gotten 80% of mine in the first three days of the month, and some months are better than others, although i don’t remember that particular pattern.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Not that I've ever figured that out, but I imagine headcounts come in at the start of a quarter when budgets get set. Or it could be completely random idk, buses in the city etc.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

don't talk numbers until you're either sure you want to walk and want to give them one last chance to regain your attention or are pretty sure you have them hooked. the longer you talk the more invested they are and more they'll want you on board which means they'll wiggle those numbers up behind the scenes. the earlier you talk numbers the higher the chance they'll err on the side of caution and give you the lower end of things because why wouldn't they?

any recruiter that asks for your number or salary out of the gate and doesn't back down when you don't answer it can be written off. if they fold and tell you the range instead they're maybe ok to listen to.

always try to delay talking hard numbers until as late as possible. always always always. always remember that the longer the conversation goes the more invested and interested they are which means they're willing to pay more

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

qhat posted:

Never talk numbers until you are getting an offer, this goes both ways. 95% of the time they'll brush it off with "we're flexible, we're interested in finding the right person and then discussing a fair compensation", which is basically what you should be doing in reverse if they ask you about money that early. Demanding compensation talk at the start can shut the conversation down right there, and you can probably find out the bottom end of the range from glassdoor anyway.

Rex-Goliath posted:

don't talk numbers until you're either sure you want to walk and want to give them one last chance to regain your attention or are pretty sure you have them hooked. the longer you talk the more invested they are and more they'll want you on board which means they'll wiggle those numbers up behind the scenes. the earlier you talk numbers the higher the chance they'll err on the side of caution and give you the lower end of things because why wouldn't they?

any recruiter that asks for your number or salary out of the gate and doesn't back down when you don't answer it can be written off. if they fold and tell you the range instead they're maybe ok to listen to.

always try to delay talking hard numbers until as late as possible. always always always. always remember that the longer the conversation goes the more invested and interested they are which means they're willing to pay more

i guess i get that but, why would i go through the interview process if it doesnt pay more than my current job. like "glass door estimates" make it seem like these offers are for about where i'm at now. is it expected that i should be able to pump those numbers higher?

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 20, 2019

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
salary question for crazy hiring process at a faang/big4 tech co:

I have evaded the salary questions thus far through the initial phone screen, phone interview, an on-site interview, and now they're asking for my compensation expectations in writing before submitting my application to the final "hiring committee". is this the point where I should give in and just throw the high end of what paysa shows? Or should I try to stall again? Or demand the range under California law since the job opening is in the bay area?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

i guess i get that but, why would i go through the interview process if it doesnt pay more than my current job. like "glass door estimates" make it seem like these offers are for about where i'm at now. is it expected that i should be able to pump those numbers higher?

Yeah it's annoying, there's always the risk they'll try and go cheap on you, but you just gotta suck it up, there's no other way around it. Most of the really cheap ones will be the kind to kick you out of the process early for refusing to talk money anyway, so there's also that indication. Just don't apply to a bad company, check them out on glassdoor before applying and look specifically at the highest reported salaries to get an idea of whether this company can afford you. You still might be stung but honestly what's a day off when compared to even the possibility of significantly upgrading your income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

depends on the company. at google, hiring committee and comp committee are separate