Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

tbh i would say take the job, but then also don't start off immediately disgruntled and spend all your time on prep for other interviews so you can chase a higher salary. you need to dedicate most of your resources to onboarding at your new job, otherwise they will notice how disengaged you are, and you'll be out of there in 3 weeks as a "mistake hire who just wasn't a good fit and didn't work out". now you're right back where you started but with a perfectly good offer burned. give the job a chance, who knows, you might like it

because of aforementioned repetition i should make this clear: i am NOT saying there is anything wrong with accepting another offer should one come your way. the company you leave is not gonna gently caress your life over for doing this. they might consider it a bit rude but them's the breaks. i AM saying that if you spend most of your energy at your new job on looking for another one because you already pre-decided that you hate the job you just started... that is very very obvious, so don't think you're fooling anyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Who knows? Maybe they’ll like the job

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Dongslayer. posted:

what are the yosposter approved resources for studying data structures?

i watched the Stanford lectures and did the homework and labs. Jonathan shewchuck or something similar is the lecturers name. recorded lectures on YouTube and freely accessable homework from a real school

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

DELETE CASCADE posted:

because of aforementioned repetition i should make this clear: i am NOT saying there is anything wrong with accepting another offer should one come your way. the company you leave is not gonna gently caress your life over for doing this. they might consider it a bit rude but them's the breaks.

yeah you would have to burn bridges in a spectacular way for anyone to remember or care, and even then it might not matter because you're in a big enough market.

also, congrats :yotj:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

^ ty

DELETE CASCADE posted:

tbh i would say take the job, but then also don't start off immediately disgruntled and spend all your time on prep for other interviews so you can chase a higher salary. you need to dedicate most of your resources to onboarding at your new job, otherwise they will notice how disengaged you are, and you'll be out of there in 3 weeks as a "mistake hire who just wasn't a good fit and didn't work out". now you're right back where you started but with a perfectly good offer burned. give the job a chance, who knows, you might like it

its not a bad job, im actually looking forward to it, its just not ideal for two reasons:

1a. startups arent very stable and therefore i am worried about having to look for work again soon
2a. startups are known for having crappy work-life balance and this one seems dodgy in that sense

therefore i am still looking out for other options. however its also mitigated by points in its favor:

1b. cool product
2b. interesting problems to solve that let me gain experience in cool poo poo like hadoop and redis (tl;dr is that theres work to be done on data intake)
3. good commute
4. casual culture

and then the aforementioned pay thing which boils down to "youre not good enough yet", which 2b is meant to mitigate and is not bad pay per se, just typical

theres also miscellaneous poo poo like mom and dad being extremely disappointed that im not working at a big stable company but thats their problem not mine

also im basically not scheduling more interviews/places to check out and theres a hard limit at a couple days before my start date where i wont accept offers cause its too late bitch

not saying there isnt other stuff out there but the idea is that this is a backup in that case

also im loving sick of thinking about this so much so im ready to move the gently caress on

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
ok that all sounds reasonably sensible to me. my only further comment would be: hadoop is a distributed filesystem with a restrictive programming model, and redis is a cache. getting experience with those is definitely good for you and your resume. but most of the interesting work to be done on data intake is done with half-assed ad hoc shell scripts, because problem #1 is always that the data is unclean or even unstructured

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

ok that all sounds reasonably sensible to me. my only further comment would be: hadoop is a distributed filesystem with a restrictive programming model, and redis is a cache. getting experience with those is definitely good for you and your resume. but most of the interesting work to be done on data intake is done with half-assed ad hoc shell scripts, because problem #1 is always that the data is unclean or even unstructured

half assed ad hoc shell scripts for cleaning and structuring data sounds like a great way to ask the question "why is everything so hosed up" and getting shrugs in response

and nobody knows what code handles it or where it is

then all of a sudden you gotta change it and if theyre scripts on servers then you need to hunt down all those scripts so that each server works the same way and you will inevitably miss one and wow that is some loving bullshit

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

maybe use a lambda for that stuff?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

a task so fundamentally ill-defined does not admit an elegant solution. you can add all sorts of structure and process but you'll never get something that feels well engineered

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

a task so fundamentally ill-defined does not admit an elegant solution. you can add all sorts of structure and process but you'll never get something that feels well engineered

coo

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

some structure + process > no structure + process tho at least

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

ya sure i'm just saying. a lot of people see a nice clean database schema and go oOoOoOo preeeeetty, but if you're interested in data intake, just know that it doesn't start that way

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i getcha

welp i hope they are comfortable in knowing that i know nothing

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

cis autodrag posted:

Eyes, school

think i mentioned this before but my data structures prof got fired for teaching the wrong curriculum basically. we were given an easy final but that class taught me very little past linear structures.

plan to the course in another lang as soon as possible but needed the grade at the time.

Thanks for all the recommendations

Bored Online fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 28, 2018

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Pollyanna posted:

maybe use a lambda for that stuff?

maybe use a diary for all that stuff

christ, pollyanna. whatever you think you are doing in yospos, don't do it at work, ok?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

maybe use a diary for all that stuff

christ, pollyanna. whatever you think you are doing in yospos, don't do it at work, ok?

im spitballing

also i will never

ever

ever

ever

ever

ever

stop tormenting you

youre in for life bitchhhhhhhhhh

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Dongslayer. posted:

think i mentioned this before but my data structures prof got fired for teaching the wrong curriculum basically. we were given an easy final but that class taught me very little past linear structures.

plan to the course in another lang as soon as possible but needed the grade at the time.

Thanks for all the recommendations

the sedgewick book is solid if you’re cool with java and he does a free class on coursera (i think?)

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

iirc I enjoyed the data structures chapter in Skienna’s algorithm design manual for the decent overview.

most of my data structures learning though was going on a Wikipedia page for like AVL trees, making an implementation of it, then going to related pages and going at it again.

if you’re looking for functional stuff, nothing beats Okasaki’s book.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Pollyanna posted:

im spitballing

whatever you call your voluble shitposting, don't do it at work

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

if you have time to post a lot while at work, you don't have enough work to do

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

c'mon man i know pollyanna is a bit much to handle but certain threads here are basically chat rooms so :justpost:

but yeah keep that poo poo to yourself at work. take don corleone's advice... never tell anyone outside the family what you're really thinking

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
or inside it for that matter

lest you tee somebody up for a brutal own

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yo what do you call yours?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

qhat posted:

Sounds like somebody works slow

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

qhat posted:

work as hard as your paid to work imo

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Sapozhnik posted:

work as hard as your paid to work imo

but with each increase in title/pay, the amount of actual hard work i must do has decreased ??? :confused:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
:thinking:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

DELETE CASCADE posted:

but with each increase in title/pay, the amount of actual hard work i must do has decreased ??? :confused:

beware of the management transition

it looks like less work but it is actually more, so, you know, get paid for that poo poo

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i guess it helps that i don't really consider telling people my opinions to be work

but ya i hear you. my pay is not bad for my current title but could always be better. not sure i want to change jobs right now though. i'm not really trying to minmax my salary, i'm going more for money-to-effort ratio

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

management is also a much riskier position if your company is at all decent. i'm pretty sure most if not all fuckups in business can be placed squarely at the feet of management.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
we’ve also gone over this several times, not all startups have lovely work life balance. I took 4 weeks off and wfh whenever I wanted at my last one. One of my coworkers spent 5-6 weeks working remote in Europe. Another did yearly visits to Singapore for a month to visit family. and as far as day to day I’d cut out at 3 on fridays. It really depends on the place.

Now did I do some stupid midnight work on Saturdays, yeah, but I sure as hell took comp time the week after.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

qhat posted:

management is also a much riskier position if your company is at all decent. i'm pretty sure most if not all fuckups in business can be placed squarely at the feet of management.

is it? if the corporate thread is to be believed management never falls but watch each other’s back

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Well, they could be placed (it is literally their job description), but them being placed there is much rarer. :v:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Boiled Water posted:

is it? if the corporate thread is to be believed management never falls but watch each other’s back

Obviously cronyism exists, especially at small firms, but there are plenty of other companies who are very critical of the people who are running teams, as they should be.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
I just found one of the weirdest job ads

quote:

Skills:
o Execute for results
o change of leadership and innovation
o Teamwork
o Required pressure
o Availability to travel

this is not a bad translation, I was super faithful to the original. it's just odd this way.

bonus:

quote:

Requirements:
o Knowledge

Symbolic Butt fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 28, 2018

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Preferred:
- Knowledge of computer

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Symbolic Butt posted:

I just found one of the weirdest job ads

this is not a bad translation, I was super faithful to the original. it's just odd this way.

bonus:

This sounds like the recruiter overheard a planning meeting and typed his notes into the the req

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Recruiting is really hard, I always feel really bad after an interview if I don't think we did it quite right.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Boiled Water posted:

most of the people posting in those threads (or really any thread about tech jobs on these lovely forums) aren't management and, as such, see management as the enemy or at the very least a group of idiots who have no idea what they're doing

they'd quickly change their tune if they ever had to actually manage anything or anyone besides themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Blinkz0rz posted:

most of the people posting in those threads (or really any thread about tech jobs on these lovely forums) aren't management and, as such, see management as the enemy or at the very least a group of idiots who have no idea what they're doing

they'd quickly change their tune if they ever had to actually manage anything or anyone besides themselves

Yo