Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

My work has Visual Studio Professional and honestly it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
vs code is total poo poo but its better than every linux text editor so non-windows users love it

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
vs code is fine, tuck those Microsoft hate boners up in your waistband

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Kernel Sanders posted:

rider is the visual studio your mom said you had at home

it's not AS good as visual studio but it's pretty good. i recommend giving it a shot

it's also perfect for when you're writing C# on non-windows PCs, like most people are doing now that windows is deprecated

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Shaggar posted:

vs code is total poo poo but its better than every linux text editor so non-windows users love it

BBEdit wants a word (mac only)

but mac is the best linux anyway :roflolmao:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Lady Radia posted:

it's not AS good as visual studio but it's pretty good. i recommend giving it a shot

it's also perfect for when you're writing C# on non-windows PCs, like most people are doing now that windows is deprecated

it's better if you're already in the unfortunate position of working on an enormous solution with dozens of projects

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

nudgenudgetilt posted:

more than once i've wanted a general .ignore file to be honored by all the things, from git to spotlight to tracker to whatever.

try naming it nudgenudgetilt_posts.txt

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

question: what are actual good responses to the question, "what are some of your weaknesses"

because I feel like that question is a trap. you're not supposed to answer truthfully unless it's 1) utterly inconsequential, or 2) easily spun into a strength like "I care too much"

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

kalel posted:

question: what are actual good responses to the question, "what are some of your weaknesses"

because I feel like that question is a trap. you're not supposed to answer truthfully unless it's 1) utterly inconsequential, or 2) easily spun into a strength like "I care too much"

I've had success talking about my weaknesses if I've not only identified them but am actively working to improving them. Ultimately I think the question is used to suss out if you're capable of honest self-evaluation and if you think it important to work on your areas of improvement.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

kalel posted:

My answer is I have a natural inclination to go straight through a difficult task instead of finding a workaround by changing the requirements, because I mistakenly see hard tasks as a challenge rather than an obstacle. I talk about past experiences where I did something a hard way when I could have easily changed the requirements with better stakeholder interaction, then talk about how I try to fix that now. Your weakness doesn't have to be "what makes you a bad employee", it can be "what has made you a bad employee in the past that you're actively trying to address".

I'm not an interviewer tho so I don't know how many points this gets.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

kalel posted:

good interviewers won’t ask you that question

just like you will never hear the “where are you in five years”

edit: the reason you won’t hear it is because they’ll be busy asking you better questions either about yourself or your previous work

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Plenty of interviewers aren't good so it's not a bad idea to have prepped for some stupid questions.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I answered the "Where do you see yourself in five years?" question sarcastically once with "Maybe I'll be two years into owning a house." and really confused the interviewer.

Four years later and I'm still in the same position that interview got me into, because there's no mobility in this entire organization and thus the question was even more bullshit than usual.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

yeah I'd never ask either of those questions.

"what are some challenges you faced in <project> and how did you overcome them" is the kind of stuff you really need prep for

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

kalel posted:

My usual answer is something along the lines of "I have a natural inclination to be stubborn in some situations. However, as I've matured and grown over the years I've gained the ability to notice this tendency in myself, so anytime I run into a situation where I think I already have an answer, I stop, try to listen closely to those around me and take into account all other opinions and form a conclusion as objectively as possible and reach a consensus with my teammates." I go into a bit more detail and maybe come up with an example, but it's a genuine answer. No one is perfect, and I think the best answer focuses on self-awareness of our own inherent flaws/weaknesses (we all have them!), and how we try to work around them. Agreed though that it's an annoying question and I kinda hate it when an interviewer brings it up (which isn't too often), but doesn't hurt to have an answer prepared. Don't give answers like "I'm a perfectionist" or some other BS, just be honest about who you are!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

champagne posting posted:

edit: the reason you won’t hear it is because they’ll be busy asking you better questions either about yourself or your previous work

The 5 year question gets phrased a lot of ways. I prefer "if everything goes well, skies are blue, whats your day to day work like in 5 years?" This VERY frequently uncovers additional questions I should ask and lets me take an interest in them and their career. Several times it has led to ?s showing a candidate has some pretty negative personality issues such as WILDLY different expectations from any reality I could picture for them. Also gotten a few that are straight up liars, who double down on their bad lies.

Any candidate should have some answer for this, its a standard interview question.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fully rested off 3 weeks vacation but still over currentjob. time to start search now... yotj :pray:

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

From some recruiter spam:

quote:

Depending on how well you interview and years in the industry the base salary can range in the low to mid 200,000s + [not public traded] Equity.

Oh boy, if I interview real well I could bump my pay from below market to somewhat below market!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

“where are you in five years” is usually trying to ask “where do you want your career going” which is a reasonable question

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

DuckConference posted:

Oh boy, if I interview real well I could bump my pay from below market to somewhat below market!

lol “[not public traded] Equity”

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

DuckConference posted:

where are you that 200k is below market?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
200 cash is not really below market anywhere but 200 tc is below market in figgielands prime and secondus, depending on title

valuing startup equity is not "value at 0 and have at it" but its also not "believe the vcs and execs about it". you yourself are playing the vc, junior in claims to the actual negotiated tranches which often have optionality baked in

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 1, 2022

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

200 cash is not really below market anywhere but 200 tc is below market in figgielands prime and secondus, depending on title

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

CarForumPoster posted:

The 5 year question gets phrased a lot of ways. I prefer "if everything goes well, skies are blue, whats your day to day work like in 5 years?" This VERY frequently uncovers additional questions I should ask and lets me take an interest in them and their career. Several times it has led to ?s showing a candidate has some pretty negative personality issues such as WILDLY different expectations from any reality I could picture for them. Also gotten a few that are straight up liars, who double down on their bad lies.

Any candidate should have some answer for this, its a standard interview question.

hobbesmaster posted:

“where are you in five years” is usually trying to ask “where do you want your career going” which is a reasonable question

But then why do they usually say "where in 5?" instead of the much more reasonable and understandable "where do you see your career going?"

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

But then why do they usually say "where in 5?" instead of the much more reasonable and understandable "where do you see your career going?"

ultrafilter posted:

Plenty of interviewers aren't good so it's not a bad idea to have prepped for some stupid questions.

EDIT: Unless you meant why do they pick 5 years as a timeframe?

- 5 years is a goldilocks timeframe of careers can look very different than they do today, but if you wanna be there in 5 years and its an ambitious goal you probably need to start now.
- It lets you understand their expectations for career progression rate. Do they give you a low ambition answer? A wildly too ambitious answer?
- Is this job part of those plans? If its not is that okay for this role?
- Its enough time to complete most next steps of schooling. e.g. completing law school or an MBA.
- If they have longer term goals, e.g. EVP at Fortune 50 company, they might bring those up here and you can discuss what should be going on 5 years from now to indicate they're on that path.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Aug 1, 2022

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The current behavioral interview meta is getting candidates to talk about specifics as much as possible to prove that they are what they represent themselves as. Five years is a medium timeframe so you can talk about why you want to go in a particular direction, preferably by citing your own past experiences. It's also an opportunity to demonstrate why this job specifically is something that will take you where you want to go, indicating that you will be engaged at work. This question, like a lot of interview questions, is hard if you're unemployed and need a job badly, these things are hard to answer well unless you feel like you're choosing between multiple good opportunities.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

in addition to carforumposter said it’s now just one of those “things” where everyone asks/says that but nobody thinks too hard about its literal meaning and instead relies on the general “business speak knowledge”

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Huh. Last place I interviewed, the question was understood to mean, "are you likely to stay around for a long time? (please say yes)"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
"I see myself 4.75 years into my sentence for murdering my boss :)"

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

hobbesmaster posted:

in addition to carforumposter said it’s now just one of those “things” where everyone asks/says that but nobody thinks too hard about its literal meaning and instead relies on the general “business speak knowledge”

I feel like I’m being vindicated here

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

dang, i just got to 200k tc in nyc and thought i was doing pretty good

welp, guess ill dust off the ol resume

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Flaming June posted:

if you're getting paid enjoy it, for all we know them music is about to stop and we'll long for the days we could get paid that much. or the days where we got paid instead of hunting for canned beans and thinking if it would have been better to not survive the collapse of civilization

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

DuckConference posted:

if you're getting paid enjoy it, for all we know them music is about to stop and we'll long for the days we could get paid that much. or the days where we got paid instead of hunting for canned beans and thinking if it would have been better to not survive the collapse of civilization

eh, my place is already in layoffs + hiring freeze mode, so this is just adding to the fire of looking

supabump
Feb 8, 2014

Flaming June posted:

interview someplace every year if you can. you probably don't want to necessarily change jobs every year, but it's very good to always know what you're worth

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
this is still the lowest unemployment rate since, like, clinton was president

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
scratch that. since lbj was president

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
ongoing skills shortage + recession + inflation = something?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Had a fun panel interview today that went very well but basically everyone in the room agreed upon the offhand point "you shouldn't work here if you want a great salary"

What a thing to admit

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Not a Children posted:

Had a fun panel interview today that went very well but basically everyone in the room agreed upon the offhand point "you shouldn't work here if you want a great salary"

What a thing to admit

at least it’s up front

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yeah, better up front now than up the rear later