Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i lied i went and read it and holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/alex_hallowell/status/1562511169604108289?s=20&t=6zUM87n7FmV7FHkJJqjdWg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i think they'd have better luck if they just invited everyone who wants to apply to a mortal kombat bloodsport kumite last person standing battle to the death

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Government hiring processes make everything else look reasonable, including higher levels of government.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

hahahahaha

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the sf city government has literally thousands of open reqs, here’s a fun part: if they don’t take you after a civil service test you have to re-take the test if you apply for another position. I know someone who has taken it three times

I assume there’s some hand-wavey way for people in these agencies to make “emergency” appointments of their friends and relatives, given who actually ends up working in city hall

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

classic san francisco baby

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

post hole digger posted:

classic san francisco baby

a million times this

its the most SF thing ive ever heard of

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

qirex posted:

the sf city government has literally thousands of open reqs, here’s a fun part: if they don’t take you after a civil service test you have to re-take the test if you apply for another position. I know someone who has taken it three times

I assume there’s some hand-wavey way for people in these agencies to make “emergency” appointments of their friends and relatives, given who actually ends up working in city hall

there's an alternative to the hand-waving: There could be a lot of people who are laser focused on taking tests and incompetent at everything else

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
so i went through interviews at this startup and while there are some upsides it sounds like the work/life balance is an absolute gently caress.

anyway the director of software engineering wants to chat to make me an offer. he'd like to meet this weekend. during his pto. lol.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

raminasi posted:

startup

it sounds like the work/life balance is an absolute gently caress.

yup.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

raminasi posted:

so i went through interviews at this startup and while there are some upsides it sounds like the work/life balance is an absolute gently caress.

anyway the director of software engineering wants to chat to make me an offer. he'd like to meet this weekend. during his pto. lol.

I thought you might be concerned about all the red flags so I'd like to meet up and wave around an even bigger one

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
an offer came in

each (currently private share) is internally valued at ~$17 right now but they claim to be expecting to exit at ~$80 in 1-2 years somehow

if i exercise all my options and sell the shares at that price, by the time i'm fully vested, i'll have made...as much money as i'd make staying in my current job anyway

time to amp myself up to disappoint them, i hate doing that

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

raminasi posted:

each (currently private share) is internally valued at ~$17 right now but they claim to be expecting to exit at ~$80 in 1-2 years somehow

lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
I would not consider a thing that has had a txn at 17/share even in private, assuming a normal ridic large number of shares, as a startup

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

bob dobbs is dead posted:

I would not consider a thing that has had a txn at 17/share even in private, assuming a normal ridic large number of shares, as a startup

i hate the term too but that seems to be just how people use that word nowadays

they're also still unprofitable, so

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
scaleup is the oleaginous vc word

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

can you explain why please

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
default # shares in new company is 10 million, so thats a 170 million valuation at least

very very mutable default but it usually mutates up not down

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

so your thinking is that the company is not valued high enough for it to be worth it? i genuinely dont know anything about this.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
200 million is not a startup, its a serious going concern, if it can get to profitability

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

oh i understand now, i completely misread your original post. i thought you meant you wouldnt consider the offer, but you meant you wouldnt consider it a startup.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, sorry for the unclarity

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

have only had two rounds of 5 for this onsite at apple. recruiter contacted me to say the hiring manager wants me to have a 30 minute call with his manager.

i'm cautiously hype. i can still gently caress this up there's a coding round and it's last and has been rescheduled to next week.

gently caress i am nervous.

also i did well at system design again!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

there's been this weird thing where recruiters are reaching my inbox with roles that actually line up with my experience / things i could be interested in instead of being bottom of the barrel spam. however when i reply to them saying i could be interested they just go silent. sometimes they'll ask for some time to talk and when I give them some times that work they go silent then instead. it's really loving weird. they've all had legit email domains too so i know it's not some sort of weird scam but... what?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they do a big scrape mail merge (hubspot thingy, something something etc) for the sending and then there's something in your linkedin or resume or something that makes them disquiet?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

yeah i'm guessing they aren't even bothering with my linkedin until they get a reply :shrug:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

they do a big scrape mail merge (hubspot thingy, something something etc) for the sending and then there's something in your linkedin or resume or something that makes them disquiet?

+1 to this

I do cold outreach for my figgies roles. Even though I fork over the multicity promoted posting dollars to LinkedIn+Indeed, 50% of my hires come from "personalized" cold outreach via email sequences. I send peeps 6 fuckin emails over 4 weeks and have legit hired people that only responded to email 2-4 or referred their friend on email 3-6.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yeah i'm guessing they aren't even bothering with my linkedin until they get a reply :shrug:

Yea probs. Personally, I look beforehand but plenty dont.

If you want you can PM me and I will privately send you criticisms. Both on whats on the public web/linkedin and whats in the shady holes (court listings, anime forums).

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
what's the most diplomatic way to say "upon reflection, there's no amount of money you could pay me to do this job, and i probably could have saved us all some time a week ago"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
"no" is a complete sentence

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
that's why i said most diplomatic

maybe that's it but that's why i'm asking, i've never been in this position before and have no experience to draw on

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

raminasi posted:

what's the most diplomatic way to say "upon reflection, there's no amount of money you could pay me to do this job, and i probably could have saved us all some time a week ago"
Thanks so much for reaching out! After looking at the job description I don't think the role is a good match for what I'm looking for, but I appreciate your contacting me. If I change my mind, I'll make sure to get in touch with you in the future.

Thanks,
XXX

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

I’m looking for a remote job and have tried a couple local recruiters (no remote) and a few big names (Microsoft and Dell) with no success at all. The SA mart goon goon worked on my resume but I'm not happy with it, I may as well tweak the one from 2020 that got me my last job. I live in flyover USA and can't take this hybrid work with 2% annual raises per year.

Many thanks to the car forum poster in advance.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

No Wave posted:

Thanks so much for reaching out! After looking at the job description I don't think the role is a good match for what I'm looking for, but I appreciate your contacting me. If I change my mind, I'll make sure to get in touch with you in the future.

Thanks,
XXX

this is post-offer

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

raminasi posted:

this is post-offer
Hi,

Thanks so much for the offer - I really appreciate how much consideration you've shown me throughout this process. Unfortunately, I've decided to go a different direction with my career and won't be able to accept. I apologize for the inconvenience this causes, and wish you and everyone at XXX the best.

Thanks,
XXX

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

strangehamster posted:

I’m looking for a remote job and have tried a couple local recruiters (no remote) and a few big names (Microsoft and Dell) with no success at all. The SA mart goon goon worked on my resume but I'm not happy with it, I may as well tweak the one from 2020 that got me my last job. I live in flyover USA and can't take this hybrid work with 2% annual raises per year.

Many thanks to the car forum poster in advance.

Sent via PM. I hope the several pictures I sent you of you aren't too weird.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

There’s no wrong way to send a Dear John letter, just don’t be a dick and don’t brag about what you ended up doing instead

Hell, this morning i sent one to a company that didn’t bother sending me an offer because they couldn’t compete with the others I had on the table

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Not a Children posted:

There’s no wrong way to send a Dear John letter

lol +1

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

CarForumPoster posted:

Yea probs. Personally, I look beforehand but plenty dont.

If you want you can PM me and I will privately send you criticisms. Both on whats on the public web/linkedin and whats in the shady holes (court listings, anime forums).

i guess i'm aggravated because each of them start with something like, 'i found your linkedin and thought you'd be a great match for-' and i guess the recruiters at this level is just as filled with lazy liars as my entry level gigs. i'm over it now that i've accepted that

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i guess i'm aggravated because each of them start with something like, 'i found your linkedin and thought you'd be a great match for-' and i guess the recruiters at this level is just as filled with lazy liars as my entry level gigs. i'm over it now that i've accepted that

Are these in house or 3rd party recruiters.

Recruiter cold outreach from an in house is 50% useless spam.
3rd party recruiter cold outreach is 95% 98% useless spam. Total incompetence at every level.

I still occasionally get cold contacts about $20/hr CNC machinist opportunities...I was a machinist last in 2012 if you count undergrad research in machining, 2011 if actual daily machining work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

they’re in house recruiters yeah. the third party ones are still sending me exciting pl/sql contracts in akron ohio!!