Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Godard and Herzog been making film since the 60s. Andrey Konchalovsky too, which is probably the weirdest one to wrap my brain around.

Wim Wenders got started in the 70s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
De Palma's been working since the 60s too.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

De Palma's been working since the 60s too.

I thought he was pretty much inactive as well but then I saw that he apparently made a movie in 2019. Seems like nobody saw it though.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

I Before E posted:

I'm pretty sure Duellists came out a decade before Barry Lyndon

Two years after.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Lumbermouth posted:

Oooof, glad I immediately ordered that Arrow Django US/CA release because it looks like Blue Underground are loving with its release again.

I swear this release is cursed. I hope Arrow can work something out.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Iron Crowned posted:

Right now it seems like they're still processing orders from the sale, so it could take a little longer.

They posted today that they are finally done shipping orders, and the website will be opening up again tomorrow at noon. Some of the limited stuff from the sale is still in stock, but they will go quick.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Basebf555 posted:

I thought he was pretty much inactive as well but then I saw that he apparently made a movie in 2019. Seems like nobody saw it though.

He's in the Friedkin zone of "Too Talented to Get Funding"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

gey muckle mowser posted:

They posted today that they are finally done shipping orders, and the website will be opening up again tomorrow at noon. Some of the limited stuff from the sale is still in stock, but they will go quick.

I just buy everything that way I don't have to worry about things going out of stock forever.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Carpenter probably would be getting work if not for Ghosts of Mars.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Ridley Scott has been making movies for a loooong time. How many directors who were active in the 70's are still active today? Spielberg, Scorsese, George Miller(just barely), and....?

Abel Ferrara

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Vince MechMahon posted:

Carpenter probably would be getting work if not for Ghosts of Mars.

His whole career consisted of getting screwed over by studios and now they steal all his innovations on the regular.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Kull the Conqueror posted:

His whole career consisted of getting screwed over by studios and now they steal all his innovations on the regular.

At the very least it seems like the dudes making the new Halloween movies are at least showing him the respect he has earned with his involvement there.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
When's he gonna get a fuckin Twitch channel already? I want to see him play that Friday the 13th game and talk poo poo.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Ridley Scott has been making movies for a loooong time. How many directors who were active in the 70's are still active today? Spielberg, Scorsese, George Miller(just barely), and....?

Don Coscarelli

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I'm sure Carpenter has had no shortage of offers where it's like "hey we've got 15 million to make a horror movie and the script is really good, want to direct?" and he just does not want to go through that at this point. The struggle of getting a low/mid budget genre film made and all that entails is just not something he seems to be interested in anymore. And he was never really that guy that the studios were giving carte blanche to, he's had to fight to get his stuff made his way for the entire career. So I imagine it gets tiresome.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
IIRC when the new Halloween was in production he said he's still interested in directing but only on his terms. Nobody's offering to let him make his movie his way so he's refused everything that's come across his desk.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Ghosts of Mars is a stone cold masterpiece and I will not tolerate anyone disparaging it

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

ultraviolence123 posted:

Ghosts of Mars is a stone cold masterpiece and I will not tolerate anyone disparaging it

I enjoy the movie but let's not get too crazy.

Vampires, now there's a masterpiece.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I enjoy the movie but let's not get too crazy.

Vampires, now there's a masterpiece.

Vampires is half of a good movie, and half of a terrible movie.

Of the Carpenter misfires, I think Village of the Damned has the most going for it. The Sleep sequence is genuinely terrifying.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Carpenter's score for the latest Halloween was stellar, I'd be happy if he just kept doing music. Anyone know if he's also scoring the two sequels?

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I think Carpenter only has two not good movies: Village of the Damned, which is awful in every possible way (Scream Factory's Blu-ray is also a bunch of bullshit rear end bullshit too, with terrible sound and a botched aspect ratio), and Memoirs of an Invisible Man, which has neat special effects and some good ideas but a truly miserable obnoxious performance by Chevy Chase that ruins the movie. Everything else he's done has been at least extremely good. He's probably the most consistent director I can think of.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

gey muckle mowser posted:

Carpenter's score for the latest Halloween was stellar, I'd be happy if he just kept doing music. Anyone know if he's also scoring the two sequels?

Yeah, he's doing the scores for the next two. He did a fantastic job with the 2018 score. Halloween Triumphant is pretty much perfect.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRKKfaWGZ2c
This is exactly how you take a classic theme and update it.

ultraviolence123 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 23, 2020

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Ghosts of Mars is responsible for one of my all-time favorite Ebert quotes:

Ebert posted:

As waves of zombified killers attack the heroes, actions scenes become shooting galleries, and darned if in the year 2176 they aren't still hurling sticks of dynamite from moving trains.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wow it's almost as if Carpenter loves Rio Bravo or something.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Carpenter is way too old to go through the headache of making another movie. He was burned out on that bullshit 15 years ago.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
To this day I do not understand why Big Trouble in Little China bombed so hard. It might be my favorite movie. It can come off as pretty stereotype-y but I heard James Hong and Peter Kwong talk about it at Gencon one year and they talked about Carpenter in really glowing terms in that regard.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The whole point of BTiLC is how this big American action hero is a giant dipshit who doesn’t do poo poo and the “sidekick” martial arts guy is the actual competent hero of the movie. It loving owns, I love it so much.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

RichterIX posted:

To this day I do not understand why Big Trouble in Little China bombed so hard. It might be my favorite movie. It can come off as pretty stereotype-y but I heard James Hong and Peter Kwong talk about it at Gencon one year and they talked about Carpenter in really glowing terms in that regard.

It’s my favorite movie too, it’s so vibrant and quotable and fun.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Tell 'em, Jack Burton sent you!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I've got a Movies Anywhere code for Lawrence of Arabia. If you want it, DM me and tell me how much you fuckin love sand dunes. The first person who does it still gets the code, regardless of how much you love them though.

E: CLAIMED

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 24, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Vince MechMahon posted:

I've got a Movies Anywhere code for Lawrence of Arabia. If you want it, DM me and tell me how much you fuckin love sand dunes. The first person who does it still gets the code, regardless of how much you love them though.
I have no Pms but all I know about sand dunes is they look like rockmonster titties and the sand is rough and gets everywhere.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Sniep posted:

Whatcha mean? I guess the latter ones after the first don't have "The" in the title but it keeps them lined up right in order file-wise, i never care too too much about the filenames as much as the sort order.

There are six Terminator films when you numbered five. Since the pic had Salvation, Genesys & Dark Fate listed then either the original, Judgment Day or Rise of the Machines were missing. Since no movie buff would lop off any of the Cameron films, T3 it is.

In the end though, you have a great film collection and I'm a big loser so feel free to ignore anything I say.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Island Nation posted:

There are six Terminator films when you numbered five. Since the pic had Salvation, Genesys & Dark Fate listed then either the original, Judgment Day or Rise of the Machines were missing. Since no movie buff would lop off any of the Cameron films, T3 it is.

In the end though, you have a great film collection and I'm a big loser so feel free to ignore anything I say.

ya ya.. I misunderstood up above, and then clarified - i am missing rise of the machines and need to back fill that when i find it for cheap, but i'm not in a rush lol, this collection is a work in process since 2009 or so and i've still got holes here and there for series that i'd like to fill, but alas..

e: as of today, 1,643 titles in the collection, of which 1,616 are Blu-Ray and the remainder DVD.

Sniep fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 24, 2020

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

RichterIX posted:

Anecdotal but in college I watched it with an exchange student from China. It was always difficult finding the right movies she’d enjoy and that film was kind of a Hail Mary. It worked though, and she did appreciate the detail that went into it, with only the small caveat which was that the mythological elements were a hodgepodge pulled from all different eras of Chinese history, but otherwise passed her barometer for ‘accuracy’ as far as the cultural fantasy is concerned.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Sniep posted:

ya ya.. I misunderstood up above, and then clarified - i am missing rise of the machines and need to back fill that when i find it for cheap, but i'm not in a rush lol, this collection is a work in process since 2009 or so and i've still got holes here and there for series that i'd like to fill, but alas..

e: as of today, 1,643 titles in the collection, of which 1,616 are Blu-Ray and the remainder DVD.

I have 634 movies in my collection, not counting some boxsets and individual titles that are on their way to me still. If today I could order every movie I know I want, it would probably get up to 800. Then I’d be adding maybe 15-20 new releases each year into the future. Plus old movies I watch for the first time and decide to buy. gently caress I need more shelves 😰

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Hedrigall posted:

I have 634 movies in my collection, not counting some boxsets and individual titles that are on their way to me still. If today I could order every movie I know I want, it would probably get up to 800. Then I’d be adding maybe 15-20 new releases each year into the future. Plus old movies I watch for the first time and decide to buy. gently caress I need more shelves 😰

hell yeah

my story is pretty much that i never bought vhs and dvds were coming out when i was a late teen and i never bought them either, netflix mail order dvds were the game and i didn't think much of it, until netflix went digital on-line and I started using that service.

well, i had a date set up with someone and we were gonna watch some 80s flick major title that i saw on there the night before, can't recall if it was BTTF or ghostbusters or some other top distribution title - i don't really remember because when we sat down they had loving pulled it and it hosed up the whole vibe of the night.

about this time, the HDDVD and Blu-Ray format war was right about in the middle-end and i decided that was the time that i'd actually start collecting media, and i'd build my own library that i could trust to be there. it was just discs on shelf units for a while until a few years back now i built a NAS and ripped everything, which i still do today and is my primary storage/consumption is off a 96TB Synology NAS to an Intel NUC to run plex/transcode and main player is an Apple TV 4K. The discs just go into vinyl carry bags off amazon into the depths of a closet now, but there's a matching disc for every title on the server and none pirate. (Not against piracy tbqh, just this is different to me)

so that's how i got into collecting physical media lol

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

So, I had a chance to peek at the Columbia Classics UHD Vol. I box. Mainly got it for Lawrence of Arabia, but Mr. Smith and Dr. Strangelove also look amazing. It's a bit more subtle since the Blu-rays are excellent, but you really get that 35mm look.

Lawrence of Arabia is an entirely new level. This is actually the fourth copy I've bought for actually viewing (I also own the 1983 pan & scan laserdisc, plus both Criterion editions). The Blu-ray is gorgeous, but the UHD just has so much extra detail and the color snaps in a way that you feel like you're watching in a theater. Almost wish I had an Atmos setup for the sound, but the 5.1 mix is still terrific.

Worth saying that my copy included a printout with instructions to get the proper supplemental disc.

I'm looking forward to watching Gandhi, A League of Our Own, and Jerry Maguire since I hadn't seen them at all yet.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I thought John Carpenter made it pretty clear that he's mostly only interested in smoking weed and playing video games aside from his occasional music projects.

fake edit: James Hong is a goddamn treasure.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

I thought John Carpenter made it pretty clear that he's mostly only interested in smoking weed and playing video games aside from his occasional music projects.
poo poo, I just found out I'm John Carpenter, you guys. :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Welp I wanted to discuss the 4K Columbia collection but then I saw the news so I guess I'll say: hey fellow movie goons, I've been following and contributing to this thread since the HD-DVD days and if things are gonna get pulled down soon I may as well say you can follow me on @metageek on instagram, Metageek on letterboxd, or @jeffandwill on twitter. Semper, uh, movies.