Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

RichterIX posted:

Is the Gamera box set region free or do I need to buy it from someplace specific if I'm in the US?

It's not region free, good luck finding it though. Amazon has the region 2 version, but they are sold out of region 1 (along with everyone else it seems).

Edit:. Sounds like both the US and UK versions are the same except for the UK rating on the discs (so both are region A/B). Several folks on Blu-ray forums have said this.

mem fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

mem posted:

It's not region free, good luck finding it though. Amazon has the region 2 version, but they are sold out of region 1 (along with everyone else it seems).

There's probably for the best, it probably wouldn't be a good idea for me to drop so much money on it when I'm really only interested in the Heisei trilogy and Gamera the Brave.

Don't get me wrong I like the Showa Gamera movies fine, I'm just not sure I care that much to own them. The 90s ones all kick rear end though.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I like it when the 4K disc comes with the blu-ray, 1. Because it’s kind of a legacy thing. Blu-rays did it while people transitioned from DVD and that was cool and 2. I only have one 4K setup in the apartment and the living room isn’t gunna be 4K compliant at least for another two years. So thats a BLu-ray only situation and it helps to have a copy of the movie in each format because of that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dorium posted:

I like it when the 4K disc comes with the blu-ray, 1. Because it’s kind of a legacy thing. Blu-rays did it while people transitioned from DVD and that was cool and 2. I only have one 4K setup in the apartment and the living room isn’t gunna be 4K compliant at least for another two years. So thats a BLu-ray only situation and it helps to have a copy of the movie in each format because of that.

coward

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000
Was not expecting the Gamera set to be so huge. It's the size of their Herschell Gordon Lewis box, and slightly bigger than the Bergman set. Since I don't have a great place for them they're all sitting next to each other, makes for an odd display.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I'm taking donations to purchase another 4K tv, please donate!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
My brother just got a 65" 4K tv. The first thing he watched on it was You Don't Mess With the Zohan.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

My brother just got a 65" 4K tv. The first thing he watched on it was You Don't Mess With the Zohan.

How was the HDR?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

How was the HDR?

I don't know, but unless the guy at Best Buy or where ever was like "You need this cable." then he probably just connected his devices with an HDMI cable. And there's a 100% chance the movie was a DVD unless he was streaming it. But he's seen that movie more times than I could even put a number to so he definitely owns a copy.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

My friend has every Sandler movie ever released on Blu-ray. He's a diehard fan, saw him perform live multiple times, including a version of what his last Netflix comedy special was. A few years ago, he borrowed me Zohan, and told me it would change my life. Somehow, we're still friends after this. In closing, the Blu-ray looks like washed out trash.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Isn't Zohan really insanely gross pro-IDF propaganda, or am I getting it mixed up/telephone-gaming it?

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

dorium posted:

I like combo packs. The blu ray is an install disc for my plex server to keep space somewhat under control, the UHD is for watching.
Same deal as the DVD to BD transition, except then it was XBMC.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I just don’t have a 4K player or TV yet. :shrug:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Xenomrph posted:

I just don’t have a 4K player or TV yet. :shrug:

Coward

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

there's nothing like putting poorly encoded skate video dvd's into a 4k player and watching them on a 4k tv.

its magic.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dorium posted:

there's nothing like putting poorly encoded skate video dvd's into a 4k player and watching them on a 4k tv.

its magic.

I really need to get a VCR

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’m not fully upgrading to 4k until the entire filmography of James Cameron is at least on Blu-ray. :colbert:

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I got a blu ray player one week ago, and I found my TV in the alley

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FunkyAl posted:

I got a blu ray player one week ago, and I found my TV in the alley

__________________/

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

more like poor

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Poorward

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FYI, for those who are trying to get a hold of Arrow's Gamera set, I can confirm that the US edition is authored to be Region A/B, so I'd expect the UK edition to be the same.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Isn't Zohan really insanely gross pro-IDF propaganda, or am I getting it mixed up/telephone-gaming it?

I have no idea but I feel like I've heard this before. My brother is just a manchild with awful taste. I've had to ask him over and over again to stop being causally homophobic (im gay) and it took me telling another member of my family that I might just cut him out of my life altogether (he also has a big toxic masculinity problem) to try harder. When I'd call him out on poo poo he'd always say "I'm from a different time.".

He's four years older than me.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Hm. Wellllllllllllllll,

The opening scene is Zohan against some one-dimensional vaguely Middle Eastern Arab terrists, with a dramatic battle with the Head Evil MEA Terrorist guy, and just about every other scene is about how badass manly and insanely (bush) hung Zohan is while the MEA-coded taxidriver/RobSchneiderguy cries about Zohan stealing his goat....

But the climax of the film is the Palestinian/Israeli communities coming together to tell Trump to gently caress off, fight an attempt to dismantle their community, and a unity of Turturro & Sandler's characters to make The Sound, thereby achieving unity and peace between the two communities by way of gently caress White Americans.

Zohan and Phantom also struggle in their roles as superheroic men of action when they prefer trades/sales in areas commonly less "macho" or prestigious, too. So there's also an aspect of the I/P conflict causing people to miss out on their life ambitions.

Also Zohan hooks up with a Palestinian woman In some kind of "our two cultures just need love" thing. That might be gross.

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather
I’m glad the politics of the poop fart slapstick adam sandler comedy are good, otherwise i would be unable to enjoy it

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ham_sanitizer posted:

I’m glad the politics of the poop fart slapstick adam sandler comedy are good, otherwise i would be unable to enjoy it

Sandler movies are rarely good but one with uniquely awful politics sounds like a special kind of hell

e: it doesn't sound as terrible as I've heard, though

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Xenomrph posted:

I’m not fully upgrading to 4k until the entire filmography of James Cameron is at least on Blu-ray. :colbert:

lol I see what you did there ;)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Sandler movies are rarely good but one with uniquely awful politics sounds like a special kind of hell

e: it doesn't sound as terrible as I've heard, though
It's aggressively dumb at times and cartoonish, and a lot of things didn't age well (Zohan's father calls him a "f*gelah" when he talks about being a hairdresser, people are in brownface, and the answer to I/P is to embrace American capitalism). And it seems like it should have been a 2000s era production.

But at the same time it's my perfect "shut brain off, laugh at stupid" film for some reason.

If you can stomach these clips then you can enjoy it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb8ufI6z0zM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdGB1rnPcR0

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 22, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sandler films for me fall into ones that are great and can be watched multiple times, ones that I can grin and bear, and ones that don’t make it past the 5-15 minute mark and boy did Zohan aggressively fall into category 3. I remember watching with a bunch of people and not a single one wanted to keep watching.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
Braveheart digital download code: K3NANFFPEYF6 on paramountmovies.com.

Black Sails complete series digital download code: CMLY16UEACWFDMV0 on movieredeem.com.

Braveheart is the first Steelbook case I've bought--I can see why people collect these.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I could use a new series to dip into. Jumpin' on that pirate ship. Thanks!

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months
Thanks for Braveheart!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

david_a posted:

lol I see what you did there ;)

Something something original cuts of Star Wars something something the Whole Bloody Affair.

FilthyImp posted:

IZohan's father calls him a "f*gelah" when he talks about being a hairdresser

Now I know why my brother has been saying fagelah so much for the last however many years that movie has existed.

caligulamprey posted:

I could use a new series to dip into. Jumpin' on that pirate ship. Thanks!

Yeah but Doom Patrol.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

CPL593H posted:

Something something original cuts of Star Wars something something the Whole Bloody Affair.

I’m the guy who in nearly 40 years hasn’t found time to watch Godfather Part II, but did find time today to watch a 3 and a half hour video of Mike Vertas talking about his Star Wars restoration I’ll likely never see.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I saw Zohan once, it was not my idea, and the only thing I remember about it was that I got some action in the middle of it, so :shrug:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Iron Crowned posted:

I saw Zohan once, it was not my idea, and the only thing I remember about it was that I got some action in the middle of it, so :shrug:
Zohan is extremely horny, yes? You learn this well.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

So is the Arrow Gamera set gone for good, or is just a temporary thing? I had it preordered, but cancelled due to worries about the future of my employment, but I've since been offered a much better job, and now want to get this set... it's kind of gone everywhere.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

ultraviolence123 posted:

So is the Arrow Gamera set gone for good, or is just a temporary thing? I had it preordered, but cancelled due to worries about the future of my employment, but I've since been offered a much better job, and now want to get this set... it's kind of gone everywhere.

The big set is limited and is sold out (Arrow still had some on their site but they’re going fast) but they’re coming out with a standard one.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

So there's a car chase or fight scene in there somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I fell asleep during Zohan in theaters on a date. the nap was the best part of the date.