Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Do you see yourself in Kevin or Andy? Including the parts you wish you could forget or get over? I empathized way too hard with Kevin in 2002 (college prep anxiety) and then Andy when I moved to a big city without doing my dream job. Reflecting on those years is a big part of enjoying this show for me at least

An appeal to Bob: please digress and go on tangents whenever these characters remind you of something. Unemployment 1&2 are the perfect place to hear stories about BS layoffs and grappling with depression during the lean years you and Henry struggled through, especially because we know there's a happy ending. The anecdotes you two tell always bring something unique and fun to the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I like digressions but I also like my podcasts on the long side.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Unemployment 2 is one of the most gut punch episodes of TV i've ever seen. The utter hopelessness and just giving up on life that comes with long term unemployment where you get just enough to live but anything changes, and bam you need a job now. Plus that feeling when you discover all your friends have these amazing jobs that pay well that they seemed to of fallen into and you're sent down this spiral that you have completely hosed up.

Also Man From Pluto is one of the best episodes about pop culture i've ever seen.

I really identified with the show because I was Andy when it came on, but i had a bit of kevin in me (the nerdy stuff about video games and babylon 5).

The most recent episode, being Canadian I never saw the Real World, just jokes about it, like the aforementioned Bob Dole on the Real World from SNL (possibly the greatest thing Norm McDonald has ever done). When I did see it during vacations to the US, I was amazed how boring it actually was.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I like digressions but I also like my podcasts on the long side.

I like them too, they always go interesting places when the hosts are good. Though I'm probably one of the few people on earth that have to make time to listen to podcasts. Everyone else seems to need more pod to fill their time because they're working or commuting and i'm stuck at a bad retail job that's 7 minutes from my house.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 11, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That long-term plan for Andy's career to get slightly better every season until he's Matt Groening and he loving hates himself is so goddamn good.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

gourdcaptain posted:

Going to be honest, my reaction to Mission Hill was starting up the first episode before listening to the first podcast, watching for five minutes and not laughing once, and very confusedly stopping the episode and not going back.

I had the same reaction as you months ago, but I recently returned to it and found that the pilot kind of undersells the rest of the series quality-wise. I would suggest giving it another chance and pushing through the first one or two.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

gourdcaptain posted:

Going to be honest, my reaction to Mission Hill was starting up the first episode before listening to the first podcast, watching for five minutes and not laughing once, and very confusedly stopping the episode and not going back.

I don't think it's a laugh out loud show like The Simpsons—it's more about small-scale observational comedy. The sad part is the show starts to really figure out what it is towards the end of the first season (like most animated shows) and that's when it was cancelled.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

SousaphoneColossus posted:

I had the same reaction as you months ago, but I recently returned to it and found that the pilot kind of undersells the rest of the series quality-wise. I would suggest giving it another chance and pushing through the first one or two.

Same. I don't think it's fair to judge any first-season cartoon after 5 minutes on the pilot episode. I never would've watched more Clone High or Last Airbender if based on just 5 minutes of episode 1. Or The Simpsons! Even the entire first season of Bob's Burgers is kinda rough.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

zari-gani posted:

Same. I don't think it's fair to judge any first-season cartoon after 5 minutes on the pilot episode. I never would've watched more Clone High or Last Airbender if based on just 5 minutes of episode 1. Or The Simpsons! Even the entire first season of Bob's Burgers is kinda rough.

I've said before that I didn't enjoy Bobs Burgers until the moment Gene runs into the room and screams EVERYBODY PEE ON THE FLOOR!

I know season 1 of American Dad didn't grab me either.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
The first season of Simpsons is awful and I'm glad we're moving unto the last watchable season before the show craps on itself.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't think I had watched Do the Bartman or Deep Deep Trouble since 1991, and well, they were things
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdntmGp7lO4

I remember my dad really liking Mr Burns having guys move his arms and legs to dance.
Bob is Right, Deep Deep Trouble is by far the best of the two
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPpFOvaZ4Sk

I'm re-watching The Simpsons from the start on Disney + because I'm too lazy to pull out my dvds, and man Season 1 is rough. It isn't even until Bart The General that it even feels like proto Simpsons, and honestly it takes until Krusty Gets Busted to show you what it will be. But getting to season 2, you can see they know exactly what this show is and will be.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 25, 2020

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Is there an RSS feed that includes Talking Simpsons from before 9/21/2018?
http://talkingsimpsons.libsyn.com/rss only goes back to then, even though http://talkingsimpsons.libsyn.com reaches 10/12/2015

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Analytic Engine posted:

Is there an RSS feed that includes Talking Simpsons from before 9/21/2018?
http://talkingsimpsons.libsyn.com/rss only goes back to then, even though http://talkingsimpsons.libsyn.com reaches 10/12/2015

You can only access the most recent 100 episodes through the feed, though all the files are still online and you can download them and listen to them however you want.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

There's still an RSS feed for all of the old episodes when they were at Laser Time - http://feeds.feedburner.com/lasertimetalkingsimpsons

That would cover from the beginning to April 2018, and then I guess you'd have to manually download the episodes between April and September when the new RSS feed picks up again.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Thanks Goons

The early episodes often have a party feel with people bursting out anecdotes and "everyone screaming at each other" as Bob would say, but they still cover the whole episode and include research. I like where TS came from and where it is now, and it's pretty cool how the podcast has maintained a personality over the years while evolving in its own way

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I watched Duffless in the original aspect ratio to celebrate.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea I'm enjoying watching in the 4:3 ratio as well.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
This is only tangentially related to the latest Bevis and Butthead episode but former season writer Howard Kremer has a series of summer themed albums are really funny and catchy. They might be a good listen for some people to help deal with our hell times. They get especially fun on the later albums as he is stretching for summer related material to rap/sing about.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kbpQARjxkSHCHq5LC6zVoxFG-j2hTYSqs

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh my god Bob's Birthday message.

That is incredibly cool and sweet.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Bob, have you thought about including the date an episode was recorded in the show notes? Just a little "recorded on --/--/----" at the end of the description? It would be such a small thing but that information might be useful to know if 2020 continues to be as interesting as it has been.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Bob, have you thought about including the date an episode was recorded in the show notes? Just a little "recorded on --/--/----" at the end of the description? It would be such a small thing but that information might be useful to know if 2020 continues to be as interesting as it has been.

I think it's just safe to assume history will change wildly every 24-36 hours at this point

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Yeah, I think it's fine to leave that out. They've been trying to avoid saying stuff that might date the show during recordings because of how far in advance they've been doing these and the rapidly changing state of current events. And when they do say something that might date it, they immediately mention when it is at the time of recording, so no worries there.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

It has been interesting working though from the beginning for the first time recently. From the pre escalator days and the odd mention of Trump to his election and the growing political focus it's not just been a journey through The Simpsons and decade of the 90's but the past 5 years too to some extent. The 6 months it took to listen through has felt longer than both.

Now we finally get to the fireworks factory
caramel factory
box factory
season 11.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

spaceblancmange posted:

It has been interesting working though from the beginning for the first time recently. From the pre escalator days and the odd mention of Trump to his election and the growing political focus it's not just been a journey through The Simpsons and decade of the 90's but the past 5 years too to some extent. The 6 months it took to listen through has felt longer than both.

Now we finally get to the fireworks factory
caramel factory
box factory
season 11.

sears catalog

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I just want to own up: I used to think that saying Simpsons stopped being good with S10 was just arbitrary received wisdom, and stayed decent for a fair while into the -teens. But with D+ and looking at the start of season 11 it's hard not to see the distinct dropoff. I think E'i E'i (Annoyed Grunt) is the first decent one and that is one of those ones where they say "gently caress you" for remembering something from a previous episode. Compared to now when they bring up El Barto and crank calls to Moe as if those had shown up since 1993.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Bob mentioning the Dating Guy made me go look it up and yea, i remember that show. Teletoon was full of terrible unique cartoons, I think the worst was Punch which was about a fictional celeb gossip magazine that was just nothing but the worst celeb jokes. It also did that thing where they use actual photos of people and put them on cartoon bodies.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I was going to make some pity comment about the quality of Canadian broadcast television but I looked up what was on that channel and honestly I've just been on a nostalgia trip for the last half hour.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Teletoon had occasional gems and SO MUCH GARBAGE

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Look, some of us didn't get Cartoon Network in our youths, and if I had to wrangle all of my entertainment out of Teletoon, then by God I was going to do it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

YggiDee posted:

Look, some of us didn't get Cartoon Network in our youths, and if I had to wrangle all of my entertainment out of Teletoon, then by God I was going to do it.

"Some of us" includes myself :canada:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I took a vacation to Montreal and an abiding memory of the TV there besides the continuity bits for Just For Laughs, was a pretty blatant knock-off of American Dad/Family Guy on Teletoon in which a NY mob family relocates to Canada. I may be giving it too much credit comparing it to American Dad.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I took a vacation to Montreal and an abiding memory of the TV there besides the continuity bits for Just For Laughs, was a pretty blatant knock-off of American Dad/Family Guy on Teletoon in which a NY mob family relocates to Canada. I may be giving it too much credit comparing it to American Dad.

"Fugget About It"? The show I had never heard of until yesterday when Hulu put it on my recommendation list and on sight I said "No, I don't think so"

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

JethroMcB posted:

"Fugget About It"? The show I had never heard of until yesterday when Hulu put it on my recommendation list and on sight I said "No, I don't think so"

Yes! I don't think it's ever been available in the UK and I don't expect that to change.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

YggiDee posted:

Yea, It did show Venture Bros, sealab, aqua teen, frisky dingo, Archer, and clone high. I think it's where I saw Mission Hill for the first time as well. But that was mixed with a lot if trash, both made by them, and cast offs from other networks.

I think ytv had Daria and Downtown I think.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Teletoon: hour after hour of ugly, ugly cartoons (but yes, some standout stuff like Clone High in there)

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
You grew up with Teletoon? Heh. I live in Quebec. I grew up with Télétoon.

I remember the channel's first year was especially wild before it found its footing, with big draws like Donkey Kong Country in its weekday after-school block, Space Goofs during the weekends, Captain Star and Duckman on in the evening and what can only be called an abnormal amount of artsy NFB-sponsored programming at prime-time. And of course, who could forget Ned's Newt? Movie over, Genie, there's a new big blue manic pop-culture-referencing shape-shifter in town!

Its promos had a weird, kind of unsettling claymation theme to them. They just filled the space with whatever they could get their hands on and reran it into the ground. I don't recall if daily Simpsons at 9 PM was a thing from the start, but it was definitely one of the things I kept coming back for (...once I was old enough to stay up past 9 PM).

Oh my god, I just dug up the first minute of Teletoon's launch. Watch to the end to find out which show kicked things off!

I really wish I could listen to those podcasts that do a deep dive into Cartoon Network/Adult Swim's early history, because I simply don't have enough context for most of it, but if someone did one about Teletoon I'd be all over it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Doesn't Matthew J's pod cover Adult Swim from the start?

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

twistedmentat posted:

Doesn't Matthew J's pod cover Adult Swim from the start?

Yeah, that's what I'm referring to. What I'm saying is I wish the same sort of thing existed with Teletoon, it'd be a lot more interesting to me.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Bob please make "Quel Télétoon" a patreon goal

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'd listen to a podcast that's Nina explaining Canadian TV and other pop culture to Bob and Henry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

I've already educated Bob on YTV's The Zone and Sesame Park. He has much to learn still.