Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There's a difference between someone talking to you and hearing about what happened.

Yes, hearing your story from you would provoke a stronger emotional response than if I read it in a newspaper. If we all reacted in equal empathy to all tragic experiences we confront every day we would rendered unable to function. The proximity and intimacy of that knowledge determines that.
So if it came from someone else you would just weirdly stand on the sidelines going "interesting!"?
Sorry to start the page of like this.
Coldcrashpictures again talking about the 1998 Godzilla movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSD_RjXCmvM

Sarcopenia fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Yardbomb posted:

Suck a gently caress sperg shitter.

Fair enough.

This is a mess. He was grooming a teenage girl, but now he's dead. And people are laughing. And the CA management are even bigger idiots. It's endless trash and I don't know what else to say. Maybe I'm just gunning for a way to give Richard some more cash.

Enough of me. Support the victims if they come forward. They're the ones that matter.

EDIT: Disregard this shitpost. Made things worse.

somekindofguy fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 12, 2018

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

SgtSteel91 posted:

I’m reminded of H.Bomberguy’s video that started with him taking about some beloved British personality that was later revealed to be a pedophile
Wasn't that John Oliver?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So they cover up his sexual misconduct, monetize his death and hide the truth from everyone until this all breaks.

gently caress off. Just gently caress off. A few days ago I was worried that they might have driven him to suicide and thought that was the worst outcome, but this is so much worse. You utterly complicit contemptible bastards.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Are there any news outlets covering this that could offer a primer on who all these people are and the history of the organization? I honestly am lost and this seems to be going to much darker places than I was anticipating. :(

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Arcsquad12 posted:

gently caress off. Just gently caress off.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut5sk0RUlS4

Always and forever.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

Wasn't that John Oliver?

Whoops, you’re totally right

Got my British YouTube personalities mixed up :doh:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

Wasn't that John Oliver?

i misread which part of the post this was questioning and thought you were asking if John Oliver was a pedophile

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
If folks are in need of a place to vent, MarzGurl is talking about this poo poo.

Go take a walk as well if you need a break from this. Do not be a goon.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Alaois posted:

i misread which part of the post this was questioning and thought you were asking if John Oliver was a pedophile
I certainly hope not :ohdear:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Lightning Knight posted:

Are there any news outlets covering this that could offer a primer on who all these people are and the history of the organization? I honestly am lost and this seems to be going to much darker places than I was anticipating. :(

At least in this most recent big case, JewWario (Justin Carmical) was a pretty well loved dude who did videos on importing games, collectibles and things like that, primarily they did a bunch of videos (You Can Play This) about japanese games you could import and play without knowing japanese. He 'left' Channel Awesome and just under a year later, committed suicide, which shook everything as hard as you'd expect, then this all comes to light and makes everything about it that much worse.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

One of the victims has posted in Reddit about their experience.

And here is Holly's confirmation that the anonymous redditor is one of the victims: https://twitter.com/gookygox/status/984508192859144192?s=20

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Augus posted:

The new God of War strikes me as Video Game Oscarbait that's trying to do the whole "video games are art guys like look at this it's just like a Hollywood movie" thing. The combat looks pretty drat awkward and it strikes me as being really derivative of current industry trends. I don't know if it's something that video game critics would really give a fair assessment of, because its something the average game critic will want to like from the outset for "proving that games have matured". I'm open to being proven wrong but that's just how it comes across to me.

I'm so looking forward to it. I'm such trash for God of War and even though it looks like a super crappy God of War game it's going to be crappy in a far more interesting way than Ascension (the previous crappiest God of War game).

There's, uh, also more I want to say about the elephant in the room but I'm going to wait a bit.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
*Looks at the previous pages*

Mraagvpeine posted:

And somehow I don't think we've hit the nadir yet.

... I swear I did not mean to tempt fate.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Darth Walrus posted:

MarzGurl has just confirmed that JewWario was the producer who was kicked off Channel Awesome for grooming an underage fan. After CA’s management covered it up for a year. Oh, hell.

https://twitter.com/marzgurl/status/984390105681969153?s=21

:negative: Goddammit, I liked JW's vids. That how I found out about games like Yakuza.

Is there no end to this nightmare?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 12, 2018

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

It will end with a Doug retrospective closing out by comforting an actor playing one of the victims, concluding with “I remember it so you don’t have to.”

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

There's nothing that can really be added to this, I'm just in shock.

Unspeakably horrific.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So uh... can't say I saw this coming :stare:

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Annointed posted:

It will end with a Doug retrospective closing out by comforting an actor playing one of the victims, concluding with “I remember it so you don’t have to.”

Oh you rear end in a top hat now I can't stop sadlaughing.

DoctorGonzo1969
Apr 8, 2018

Augus posted:

I forgot which video producer it was but someone else got their video on The Room taken down and was ready to get pissed about it but it was apparently quickly resolved and he got his video back. These things are rarely personal and treating it as such is pretty immature.

I think that might've been Allison? I remember hearing that her and Doug both did videos on The Room and Wiseau tried taking them down. Now, Wiseau is a huge piece of poo poo from the details I've heard from The Disaster Artist, and he did apparently try to take down Doug's phone interview with him from circa 2015 or so, but Doug's response was pretty sophomoric.

As for the, uh, JewWario stuff, I don't even know what to say. Just...holy gently caress.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
https://twitter.com/LarryBundyJr/status/984526673273028616

welp

EDIT: Marzgurl said she knew this was happening in her stream but was not going to be/ suppose to be the one to break the news

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 12, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

bennett_airbrushed_out.gif

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
In an attempt to lighten the mood, watch some drag queens talk about WrestleMania https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SnknB1oRo8

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There goes the Anime section.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I'm fairly certain at this point, Guru Larry is hoping to be the last member of the site. And you know what? I applaud his efforts.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

There goes the Anime section.

This will break the website

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

PASS THE MASH posted:

This will break the website

There is (no) anime.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
picture of Doug next to sailor moon on a bridge

picture of Doug alone

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

The Bee posted:

I'm fairly certain at this point, Guru Larry is hoping to be the last member of the site. And you know what? I applaud his efforts.

Based on what Larry has said I'm guessing the Channel Awesome staff just... forgot he was affiliated with them. Larry's just waiting to actually be contacted for the first time in years before quitting.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Jesus Michaud, what have you done. How are you so incompetent that in your statement trying to say you dealt with a predator, you instead dig up another Jane Doe case and out the predator as someone you made a memorial video for?

I can't actually believe it's Justin. Like, of all the people it was the innocent bumbling dad looking guy. I was a young teen when I got into TGWTG and I loved Justin's stuff, so part of me wonders if what I'm feeling is like what the people who watched Jimmy Saville felt when the news about him came out.

Also, I can't embed Twitter links, but the Down The Rabbit Hole guy has said he's gonna be streaming Michaud's post along with some other information he got in private.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Bee posted:

He'll lose because apparently nothing can separate Brad Jones from Doug Walker. A real disappointment; I was a fan of the guy but if he hasn't severed ties by now that doesn't make him look very good...

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

He'll lose because apparently nothing can separate Brad Jones from Doug Walker. A real disappointment; I was a fan of the guy but if he hasn't severed ties by now that doesn't make him look very good...

Yeah like I get that he still wants to remain friends with the Walkers... Its not like leaving the site is going to taint the friendship. You can still be friends, just disassociate from the website.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I mean, at this point given what happened in the last 24 hours, I would hope that Brad Jones shifted his thinking from “I get it, but they are my friends too and I owe them” to “their utter incompetence just literally unmasked a former coworker who passed away as a sexual predator and they buried that information from all of us for half a decade, this brand is absolute toxic right now, I need to separate myself from this.”

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Okay, so overwhelmingly the participants in the Not That Awesome document found out the reality of all this about two weeks ago, so this is only slightly less fresh to them as it is to everyone else today. It was decided that it wasn't their story to tell, especially since the known victims at this point just want it to go away. The people who knew for longer had been specifically asked by the victims to say nothing. They didn't (don't) want to go through the intensity of that particular scrutiny, especially since it would spill over to much of the community and especially Justin's widow, creating a lot of trauma, and for what? After all, Justin functionally settled the issue himself, and there's complicated issues specifically when it comes to managing the risk factor that is the GamerGate crowd.

They have, to no one's surprise, already started digging into every nook and cranny, digging out every ancient innuendo or accusation, and using it to try and identify victims/hurt people in general. I have little doubt that by the time I get home tonight I'll have between a dozen and two hundred messages accusing me of all sorts of stuff simply by proximity. The self-contradicting narratives are already starting to brew, looking for a witch to hunt.

We knew that the information would have gotten out eventually, and in a certain sense even needed to get out eventually, but ought to have come from the impacted individuals.

Today is not a good day.

Edit: quote was irrelevant, but one of the victims has made a statement on Reddit, so I'll leave the rest.

FoldableHuman fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 12, 2018

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

drat, that was a tough read even though I never watched anything JewWario made so it's a pretty distant thing. I feel like their comment on the craziness of CA fans really is basically applicable to any media group though, whether youtube celebrities or 'real' ones, and it's definitely scary. I dunno if CA fans were especially bad about it or whatever though.

Interesting that she actually appreciated CA releasing this information, I guess they somehow managed to accidentally do something worthwhile in this never-ending downward spiral? Although I dunno how this leaked at all so I dunno if they actually did anything much at all.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

FoldableHuman posted:

They have, to no one's surprise, already started digging into every nook and cranny, digging out every ancient innuendo or accusation, and using it to try and identify victims/hurt people in general. I have little doubt that by the time I get home tonight I'll have between a dozen and two hundred messages accusing me of all sorts of stuff simply by proximity. The self-contradicting narratives are already starting to brew, looking for a witch to hunt.
I made the mistake of looking at the CA subreddit and it's already filled with people blaming various content creators "being in the know", and surprise surprise mostly aimed at female ones.
Sometimes I hate everything about society.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Absolutely miserable.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

StealthArcher posted:

This is going to get worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Zedd posted:

I made the mistake of looking at the CA subreddit and it's already filled with people blaming various content creators "being in the know", and surprise surprise mostly aimed at female ones.
Sometimes I hate everything about society.

Mods knew 2.0

...yeah, I got nothing, this isn't funny. :smith: