Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

CelticPredator posted:

why are people still talking about this movie in any capacity?

Why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Turkeesian
Aug 20, 2006

Ghostbusters is one pretty good movie that people have been trying to build into a franchise for almost 40 years, and itís never worked. I like Lorenzo Music too, but itís all forgettable junk. The new one will be too. That poor Stranger Things kid must be so confused, constantly appearing in 80s things he canít possibly understand.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I AM THE STORM THAT IS APPROACHING

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Ghostbusters is one pretty good movie that people have been trying to build into a franchise for almost 40 years, and itís never worked. I like Lorenzo Music too, but itís all forgettable junk. The new one will be too. That poor Stranger Things kid must be so confused, constantly appearing in 80s things he canít possibly understand.

The cartoons were pretty good at least.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

I buy Steam inventories, add me if interested!

Clever Betty

I loved the newer willy wonka oompa loompas and it all being a single actor that they pretty seamlessly cloned into all the scenes

and the musical scenes were different but still good

A Sometimes Food posted:

extreme ghostbusters was the best of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEpCUB8IjzM

Dovi
Feb 21, 2013

All of Phelous' videos on Ghostbusters cartoons are great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHpPZ9l5BKU

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Pants Donkey posted:

Ghostbusters 2016 still has value in showing us Chris Hemsworth’s talent in playing the platonic ideal of a himbo.

My cat Mike Hat is so gloriously dumb it's the one joke I remember but I'll treasure it always

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

Gnome de plume posted:

My cat dog Mike Hat is so gloriously dumb it's the one joke I remember but I'll treasure it always

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I always thought the Real Ghostbusters had some genuinely creepy episodes, and they did, but even they didn't have the guys fight the Cenobites like EGB did one time. (To be fair they didn't really exist at the time the RGB were on the air.)

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Don't worry my friends. I will be your shield.

Fallen Rib

A Sometimes Food posted:

Look, all respect to the movie, but the Real Ghostbusters is MY ghostbusters.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Y2K girl

Here's a cool and funny vid from Rebel Taxi/Pan Pizza on 2D Dreamworks movies!

https://youtu.be/qYc3aH7abzw?list=P...CpXT4nm7xIlfAS_

The Ishtar reference reminded me of this thread lol

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Pants Donkey posted:

Ghostbusters 2016 still has value in showing us Chris Hemsworthís talent in playing the platonic ideal of a himbo.

honestly, he was too much of an idiot that it stopped being charming and I like my men dumb.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Even if you take the original film out of the equation the 2016 GB is pretty bad. Comparing them isn't even fair. I will have to watch that video though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

Groovelord Neato posted:

Even if you take the original film out of the equation the 2016 GB is pretty bad. Comparing them isn't even fair. I will have to watch that video though.

tbf most of the video doesn't dig very deep into the qualities of the movie itself, I posted it because he correctly points out that adult fans of the original Ghostbusters are not the target audience and that the movie was not and should not have been made specifically for them.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Did I predict the future?

Grimey Drawer

A Sometimes Food posted:

Yeah, though the one with the ape was pretty weird

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"

Fun Shoe

Pants Donkey posted:

Ghostbusters 2016 still has value in showing us Chris Hemsworthís talent in playing the platonic ideal of a himbo.

The only good things about GB16 were Hemsworth and Leslie Jones, and I would love to see what kinda chemistry they could pull off in a future movie together.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It was pretty funny that in the trailers Jones was the worst part but in the actual movie she's easily the best.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

That the trailer managed to feature the one joke she had that didnít really land was pretty impressive.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

It was pretty funny that in the trailers Jones was the worst part but in the actual movie she's easily the best.

Jones' character is also the one that acts most like a real person, which really helps.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Dawgstar posted:

Jones' character is also the one that acts most like a real person, which really helps.

This. Everyone else felt like a sketch character. Patty was weird, yeah, but she had human connections.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown.

Apparently the movie had some really boss ghost designs that were nixed by executives.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

Pants Donkey posted:

Apparently the movie had some really boss ghost designs that were nixed by executives.

I mean, I get it, those aren't even fun-scary, they're just kind of terrifying in a way unfitting for the target audience.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

It also had the knock-on effect of getting Milo temporarily banned from Twitter. He's still mad about it.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

Arist posted:

I mean, I get it, those aren't even fun-scary, they're just kind of terrifying in a way unfitting for the target audience.
What do you mean? FNAF was really popular at the same time with a similar level of ridiculous design. They're both cartoony grotesques aimed at children to young adults.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

I think that's just one ghost, the big head is a jack in the box and the 'real' head is the smaller one that springs out. If that's the case it looks v. fittingly ghost busters

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

Arist posted:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

My point is that Ghostbusters, at its core, is not a horror movie, especially 2016 which is a straight-up children's comedy. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark and Five Nights at Freddy's do appeal to a lot of children, but those kids know what they're getting into when they read/play/watch them.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Arist posted:

Maybe I am cursed with movie-executive-brain, but I think those designs are hideously ugly and I can't imagine they would blend in very well as CGI in an otherwise realistic environment.

e: When I was a substitute teacher, once during library/computer time, the first grade kids were all obsessed with and talking about some itch.io horror game called "Granny." It was kinda surprising because when I was that age I would have been afraid to even watch horror-themed cartoons.

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 17, 2020

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Jamie Faith posted:

stairmaster mention something about the video containing fetish talk and I was wonder what the hell they were talking about. Yeah, as everyone has said, there was no fetish talk in the video so I don't know why stairmaster implied that.

It's cause the blueberry scene is like, a huuuuuuge first realization for people with inflation fetishes

Terrible Opinions
Oct 17, 2013

Arist posted:

My point is that Ghostbusters, at its core, is not a horror movie, especially 2016 which is a straight-up children's comedy. Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark and Five Nights at Freddy's do appeal to a lot of children, but those kids know what they're getting into when they read/play/watch them.
It isn't a horror movie it's a comedy with goofy horror iconography. Which is a lot of kids, my younger self included, find cool even if they're not able to watch actual horror movies due to parental control or just being too scared. Hence all the kid's horror or not-horror but using horror imagery stuff floating around. Like there is a reason Goosebumps was one of the big two in scholastic book fair numbers, or the ghost busters cartoons had real gross looking ghosts all the time.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

Oven Wrangler

Terrible Opinions posted:

It isn't a horror movie it's a comedy with goofy horror iconography. Which is a lot of kids, my younger self included, find cool even if they're not able to watch actual horror movies due to parental control or just being too scared. Hence all the kid's horror or not-horror but using horror imagery stuff floating around. Like there is a reason Goosebumps was one of the big two in scholastic book fair numbers, or the ghost busters cartoons had real gross looking ghosts all the time.

Yes, and I'm saying that ghost design is too far in the "horror" direction without enough "goofy." I'd probably have nightmares about that thing as a kid.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Are most children's comedies PG-13?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Terrible Opinions posted:

Here's a neat comic about that concept!

DrVenkman
Dec 27, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Leslie Jones is in a better movie than the rest of the GHOSTBUSTERS cast. Wiig has complete disinterest in it, Mccarthy is fine and McKinnon is a string of improv bits with Diane Keaton's wardrobe.

Paul Feig is not a good filmmaker and his purpose with that movie seemed to be to show off how funny this group of ladies were at the detriment to you know... Narrative, storytelling and pacing. Liked that joke there? Watch in amazement as he runs it into the ground.

I liked the designs of the ghosts though.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Groovelord Neato posted:

Are most children's comedies PG-13?

I mean.... have you ever checked out the crowd for a Marvel movie? Kids in the 4-6 range are not exactly rare there.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

CmdrKing posted:

I mean.... have you ever checked out the crowd for a Marvel movie? Kids in the 4-6 range are not exactly rare there.

Not exactly the category I'd put Marvel films in even if I don't care for most of them.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCvbK-7n3ec

ValykyrieAurora has posted this and taken down all her videos from youtube. I don't know if there's anything deeper going on beyond what's said, but I'm pretty sad to see her go. I saw her put up an FFX video a couple days ago that I hadn't gotten around to watching and now it's gone along with all her other videos which gave me many laughs.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ghostbusters 2016 is not a bad film, but I wouldn't call it good either. It's one of those really unremarkable films that happen to be at the epicenter of this whole dumb "culture war" crap that it made it more important than it actually was. I got a few chuckles out of it but it would have benefited from better direction. The talent involved deserved better.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DrVenkman posted:

Leslie Jones is in a better movie than the rest of the GHOSTBUSTERS cast. Wiig has complete disinterest in it, Mccarthy is fine and McKinnon is a string of improv bits with Diane Keaton's wardrobe.

Honestly McCarthy was the one who most stands out in the movie to me for doing stuff like bad extended improv and not feeling like an actual character (or as said above, like she's in an SNL skit). Did you know she only got one wonton in her soup? Only one! That's not enough! She wanted more!

Jimbot posted:

Ghostbusters 2016 is not a bad film, but I wouldn't call it good either. It's one of those really unremarkable films that happen to be at the epicenter of this whole dumb "culture war" crap that it made it more important than it actually was. I got a few chuckles out of it but it would have benefited from better direction. The talent involved deserved better.

RLM mentioned that it might have been nice if they'd given the screenplay to somebody talented and known for writing good examples, like, say... Wiig.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

low vis

Ague Proof posted:

It also had the knock-on effect of getting Milo temporarily banned from Twitter. He's still mad about it.

This is the best Milo-related joke ever, aside from Milo in and of himself, and people never stop using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The culture war poo poo is funny because all the mouthbreathers got all frothed up about lady Ghostbusters when the reason it's bad is a guy.