Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

There was a time when I quite liked YMS videos, but at some point such large portions of his videos became dedicated to A) complaining about and making fun of the opinions of others and B) pre-emptively shutting down counterarguments to his videos that they became unwatchable for me.

His move away from critically-acclaimed/successful movies as YMS fodder towards incredibly bad, borderline-amateur works such as Cool Cat and Neil Breen movies made me further lose interest. I think Adam becoming increasingly Online really had a ruinous effect on his work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

It’s unfortunate that he isn’t making longer videos about mainstream movies, because it’s satisfying seeing him take on stuff like After Earth that got a lot of undue praise and hype. Still, his Cool Cat and Fateful Findings reviews are fun in their own way because those movies are just so full of hilariously stupid poo poo just waiting to be laughed at. Same with his Pokémon riffs.

The recent trend in internet reviewing may be away from comedy and towards Serious Analysis™, but I’ll always appreciate a critic who can make me laugh while tearing a piece of bad media to shreds.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Wrageowrapper posted:

Stop talking about anime and watch the third rather depressing part of Lindsays Hobbit review instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi7t_g5QObs

What a good rear end series of videos. As a huge Tolkien nerd with equally Complex Feelings about The Hobbit (and who loved Kesha's old stuff who feels gross listening to it now) this really hit everything about how I feel. Like, ending it with 'yea...it sucks, I get it, but that's what being an adult is' is pretty much perfect. "There's no ethical consumption under capitalism" is a way too glib answer for how often it gets used, especially because it weirdly puts the onus on the consumer rather than the dudes making it so unethical. It's almost refreshing to have a major look at this stuff that just kinda is 'yep...it sucks being an adult who's expected to be aware of the world beyond you. I feel for ya.'

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

peaced out on yms after i found out he's a furry.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

That video was probably made well in advance of the Channel Awesome stuff, but I definitely started thinking of that when she got into media and reconciling it with immoral behavior from executives. Really good stuff.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Yardbomb posted:

the YMS guy after they started going full chud

What did he do? I've only started watching his videos recently, and I haven't noticed anything in particular.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I was listening to YMS' podcast and he said that he won't watch a film unless it's really good or really bad which seems very misguided for an internet critic. Does he even consider himself a "critic"? Anyway, I never found him that funny or insightful.

Speaking of insightful, I watched Kim Justice's documentary on Oasis and Be Here Now and that was pretty good. The rise and fall of britpop is a blindspot for a my musical knowledge so this was good.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

DoubleCakes posted:

I was listening to YMS' podcast and he said that he won't watch a film unless it's really good or really bad which seems very misguided for an internet critic. Does he even consider himself a "critic"? Anyway, I never found him that funny or insightful.

Critic or no, I can't really say myself or anyone I know goes out of their way to watch mediocre movies.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

everyone wants to copy MST3K with all of the sass and none of the creativity or optimism

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Falstaff posted:

What did he do? I've only started watching his videos recently, and I haven't noticed anything in particular.

He mostly keeps it out of YMS stuff, but they also do streams and LPs where boy are they unpleasant in those often enough. He's gone on "The essjooz!" screeds, he's got some friend or another who's glad to drop slurs at random and they don't make a peep about it, gets into the really tired kind of edgy bullshit attitude, just whew did that all turn me off of them pretty bad.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

also there was that time he defended loving animals, that was weird

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

peaced out on yms after i found out he's a furry.

:same:, but it was just the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I liked his earlier works, but at some point his reviews of newer / popular stuff felt like it boiled down to being offended that everyone else liked it.

I mean, poo poo, the man spent some time explaining how awesome it was that one of the credits text in Synecdoche, New York faded weirdly and that it Meant Something.

According to one of those reddit comments, the dude was on Sargon's podcast at some point. gently caress that guy.

E: vvv No, I just guessed and my autocorrect finished it, so I figured it was right.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 20, 2018

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

:same:, but it was just the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I liked his earlier works, but at some point his reviews of newer / popular stuff felt like it boiled down to being offended that everyone else liked it.

I mean, poo poo, the man spent some time explaining how awesome it was that one of the credits text in Schenectady New York faded weirdly and that it Meant Something.

do you actually think the movie is called this

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

khwarezm posted:

Critic or no, I can't really say myself or anyone I know goes out of their way to watch mediocre movies.

A film that's neither good nor bad isn't necessarily boring or mediocre. Some films can do good and bad things on an equal ratio but still be interesting.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?
This is something I really love about Stoned Gremlin Productions. They just see loving everything. The whole point of seeing movies is the escapism, and sometimes for a surprise. I think that goes unnoticed in a lot of the internet reviewer/critic landscape.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

ricdesi posted:

This is something I really love about Stoned Gremlin Productions. They just see loving everything. The whole point of seeing movies is the escapism, and sometimes for a surprise. I think that goes unnoticed in a lot of the internet reviewer/critic landscape.

I was just about to say this! Their review of Acrimony was great and made me want to see it. I kinda admire Tyler Perry in a weird way though.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Koalas March posted:

I was just about to say this! Their review of Acrimony was great and made me want to see it. I kinda admire Tyler Perry in a weird way though.

I always want to like Tyler Perry for a few things, but it feels like every other movie or so has a "Hit your kids" moment that kind of torpedoes everything for me. Like man you can make family movies without playing to that kind of "family", on that point at least he needs an unironic "Get with the times."

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

For me, any critic who I'll watch/read has to come from a place of love for film, so naming a channel Your Movie Sucks* was already a red flag for me, because I hate the whole "Movies are inherently poo poo, aren't I better than them" attitude. Negative reviews are fine, funny negative reviews even better, but I find it far more...truthful... I guess when a bad review comes from a place of disappointment, not entitled rage.

I watched his Looper review once and it got to the bit where he was complaining about "OMG, cars don't brake like that, unrealistic, bad movie", which made him seem like Cinemasins tier rubbish so I bailed. Looks like that wasn't a mistake on my part.

*Probably an Ebert reference, but still, point still stands.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

I always want to like Tyler Perry for a few things, but it feels like every other movie or so has a "Hit your kids" moment that kind of torpedoes everything for me. Like man you can make family movies without playing to that kind of "family", on that point at least he needs an unironic "Get with the times."

Like, his personal history is sad and relatable, he created empire and films entertaining movies in 7 days! I respect that. He is a decent actor in stuff directed by other people (Gone Girl, Star Trek) but I totally agree with you.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Serving my toxx here

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3854843

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Rantasmo just released his first "Needs more gay" video in three month: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmyHfWgt-XE

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Karloff posted:

I watched his Looper review once and it got to the bit where he was complaining about "OMG, cars don't brake like that, unrealistic, bad movie", which made him seem like Cinemasins tier rubbish so I bailed. Looks like that wasn't a mistake on my part.

He has a really hard time suspending his disbelief to any real degree, even if he otherwise likes the film

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Yardbomb posted:

He mostly keeps it out of YMS stuff, but they also do streams and LPs where boy are they unpleasant in those often enough. He's gone on "The essjooz!" screeds, he's got some friend or another who's glad to drop slurs at random and they don't make a peep about it, gets into the really tired kind of edgy bullshit attitude, just whew did that all turn me off of them pretty bad.

Good to know, thanks.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

The hero we deserve.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Adlai Stevenson posted:

He has a really hard time suspending his disbelief to any real degree, even if he otherwise likes the film

Some of his nitpicking can be fun, like when he pulls apart "non-supernatural" horror movies for characters that teleport or other ridiculous contrivances, but sometimes it's way off. His review of a quiet place had a big bit on a kid drowning in a grain elevator, which is very much a real thing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grain_entrapment and can be found with a ten second google search. He finds some gems but a lot of them are CinemaSins level "flaws".

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Pants Donkey posted:

That video was probably made well in advance of the Channel Awesome stuff, but I definitely started thinking of that when she got into media and reconciling it with immoral behavior from executives. Really good stuff.

I have some bad news about hollywood.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

stillvisions posted:

Some of his nitpicking can be fun, like when he pulls apart "non-supernatural" horror movies for characters that teleport or other ridiculous contrivances, but sometimes it's way off. His review of a quiet place had a big bit on a kid drowning in a grain elevator, which is very much a real thing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grain_entrapment and can be found with a ten second google search. He finds some gems but a lot of them are CinemaSins level "flaws".

I did like his way older videos, namely World War Z cause he brought up inconsistencies in the video. Like the fact they reuse a line but add an echo to it, or the fact there is a scene where you see a guy point a gun out of a window and the crowd reacts as if the guy shot his gun but there is no effects (muzzle flash and sound) to correlate with it. Honestly this was something I liked about early Cinema Sins, I was interested in seeing actual inconsistencies (Jurassic Park having 2 parked jeeps as the helicopter is arriving to the island, then when the helicopter lands and they unload 2 jeeps come driving up as if they weren't already there)

Then I fell off cause his videos would come out really slow, it took 3 months to do his Amusement videos. Not as in 3 months of work was put into it and they were all released together, but the first video started and the last video was posted 3 months later. And some of the jokes were... it felt like padding. You took 3 months and had this much padding? The first video had this bit where a guy realizes his car keys were taken, and it devolves to the the bad guy mugging while the driver fondles the ignition and looks back to his tied up girlfriend and it goes back and forth and back and forth. Could've been funny for like 10 seconds, but it feels like it lasts a minute. Then there is that bit with the sandwich making....

DoctorGonzo1969
Apr 8, 2018

YMS, IHE, and Ralphthemoviemaker are three people who I've grown to heavily dislike as time goes on. YMS is a pretentious rear end in a top hat, IHE is smarmy as gently caress, and Ralph is overly aggressive and boisterous in a manner that makes Doug Walker's Nostalgia Critic look tame. I'd only watched a few YMS videos and when I'd found out about him defending bestiality, I hightailed it and stopped watching him. IHE I stuck around for a while until I stopped because he seemed to take this weird personal offense to bad movies that god overbearing. I recall watching his Birdemic reviews and he gave off this impression that he legitimately thought the director was mentally disabled or something. Ralph just barrels through with bad jokes of unnecessary anger and vitriol, like shouting that he hoped the creators of The Nutshack got doxxed. They're all asshats.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

IHE works for me because his character he's playing is a swarmy gently caress. When he's just plain ol Alex, he's pretty funny. It's like listening to Report of the Week on his reviews, VS his VORW's where he gets pretty goofy. Doing silly voices and weird little goofy things that he wouldn't do in his reviews.

I dunno how Ralph or YMS are outside of themselves.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Wrageowrapper posted:

Stop talking about anime and watch the third rather depressing part of Lindsays Hobbit review instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi7t_g5QObs

This was a really good watch, it goes well beyond the usual film review format and was very informative about how a film can effect an entire nations economy. It was amazingly informative.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ralph's one of the few guys that talked about how bad the most recent season of got was but that's about all he's got going for him lately.

i mocked yms for being a furry but the far weirder thing is how lazy he is. if you told me "hey if you post a review you're going to get somewhere between a quarter mil and a mil views every time" i'd be cranking out content.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maybe I'll watch the Ralph video on GOT. Might save me a season. I don't know why but my excitement of that show died hard with the last season. Which I actually enjoyed. But I just don't care. Who gives a poo poo about all that.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

ralph's one of the few guys that talked about how bad the most recent season of got

CelticPredator posted:

Maybe I'll watch the Ralph video on GOT. Might save me a season. I don't know why but my excitement of that show died hard with the last season.

Surely you don't need a critic to tell you that GoT is and always has been bad.

DoctorGonzo1969
Apr 8, 2018

I'll give credit to Ralph that his video on Minions voiced a lot of my own issues with Illumination's films, and then some, but that's about it. He comes off too aggressively for me to enjoy, and if it's a joke (which I'm assuming it is) it's a bad one.

IHE's politics seem mostly quiet "both sides suck" stuff. His I Hate 2016 video had him mostly making GBS threads on right wing politics but then he threw in a couple left wing things (some MTV thing that got people mad about it "hating white people" and that Hugh Mungous thing that Ethan Klein obsessed over). Unless I've missed something on his Twitter, he's not as vocal about politics. I know nothing about Ralph's views.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the first four seasons were various levels of good five was real bad six was slightly better but mostly bad and seven just completely fell off a cliff but the guy who likes the worst of the superhero films may not have the best taste.

DoctorGonzo1969 posted:

I'll give credit to Ralph that his video on Minions voiced a lot of my own issues with Illumination's films, and then some, but that's about it. He comes off too aggressively for me to enjoy, and if it's a joke (which I'm assuming it is) it's a bad one.

that's his best vid. i dunno why all these guys do skits and poo poo (thought that poo poo was dumb back in the ol spoony days) it's never good. even rlm i skip the beginning of hitb 9 times out of 10.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"You clearly like the wrong movies" I say as I queue up my Game of Thrones marathon

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I know that pop culture has short memory, but I don't see how you can argue that GoT is any good even compared to other historical schlock like I, Claudius. It was always an overproduced soap opera that relied on shock and transgression rather than on good writing or acting, that presented bland cynicism as political insight, and all around provided a flat and distorted view of history under the pretext of fantasy.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 20, 2018

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

DoctorGonzo1969 posted:

IHE's politics seem mostly quiet "both sides suck" stuff. His I Hate 2016 video had him mostly making GBS threads on right wing politics but then he threw in a couple left wing things (some MTV thing that got people mad about it "hating white people" and that Hugh Mungous thing that Ethan Klein obsessed over). Unless I've missed something on his Twitter, he's not as vocal about politics. I know nothing about Ralph's views.

When you're young, and online and you have people shoving these ideas in a very abrasive way, it can seem very alienating. It took me a good while to find the nuanced ideas when it comes to identity politics, and social stuff in general. I'd imagine he's similar.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

"You clearly like the wrong movies" I say as I queue up my Game of Thrones marathon

the worst season of game of thrones is better than batman v superman as much as that pains me to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

the worst season of game of thrones is better than batman v superman as much as that pains me to say.

Batman v Superman has visuals and themes, something that no season of Game of Thrones has provided so far.

I mean, have you actually seen decent historical soap opera like I, Claudius? It's not even fair to put GoT up against it.