Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Hbomb's a treasure and that was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Hey, when I tried to refresh the List Of People Who Came On The Stream With Links To Their Stuff it said it was deleted! Does anyone have a working link or something? There were a lot of people I wanted to check out their stuff.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It went request only for a while before being deleted. Maybe it caught the attention of the lovely parts of the internet?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Yeah it got deleted but I'm not sure as to why

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

Yeah it got deleted but I'm not sure as to why

TERFs are really enthusiastic about online harassment. Best not to give them a target list.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, like, I'm not sure anyone—even during most of the stream—realized how big it would get. Having Congresswoman Ocasio-Cortez show up and getting retweets from Cher means major non-gaming news outlets running stories; you can already find pieces on The Hill, Slate, and Huffpost. That pushes the steam into a whole other level of visibility.

Thanks again, Graham.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jan 21, 2019

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I went to bed minutes before Alexander Occasio-Cortex showed up on the stream to say 'trans rights'. I wish I could've been there to witness that legendary moment.

I'm super happy that this whole event ended up being as big as it did, though. It's the kind of thing that really rekindles the hope inside of you. :unsmith:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's just kind of stunning to me that the stream amassed enough money to virtually run a minor NGO for a year. :stare:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

JordanKai posted:

I went to bed minutes before Alexander Occasio-Cortex showed up on the stream to say 'trans rights'. I wish I could've been there to witness that legendary moment.

I'm super happy that this whole event ended up being as big as it did, though. It's the kind of thing that really rekindles the hope inside of you. :unsmith:

Seeing Hbomb get totally starstruck on screen was really great. He absolutely could not believe what was happening, and I hear the Discord was in total chaos for the same reason.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Darth Walrus posted:

Here's the thread - check the replies for more stories. Anitwitter is in the middle of sone serious housecleaning, and there's a major ANN article in the works about some dark poo poo that's been stepped around for way too long.

https://twitter.com/hanleia/status/1085478817764827136?s=21

This stuff's been around for years. It'll be interesting to see how Funimation, Rooster Teeth and whatever LA studios he normally works for handle it going forth.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jan 21, 2019

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

He's a leading role in a film that just came out so thats a little awkward

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Darth Walrus posted:

Here's the thread - check the replies for more stories. Anitwitter is in the middle of sone serious housecleaning, and there's a major ANN article in the works about some dark poo poo that's been stepped around for way too long.

https://twitter.com/hanleia/status/1085478817764827136?s=21
He's pretty evangelical so this isn't really surprising, but a bummer.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Yep. As well as Gandalf the gray, and Gandalf the white
And Monty Python and the Holy Grail's black knight
And Benito Mussolini, and the Blue Meanie
And Cowboy Curtis, and Jambie the genie
Robocop, The Terminator, Captain Kirk, and Darth Vader
Lo-pan, Superman, every single Power Ranger
Bill S. Preston, and Theodore Logan
Spock, The Rock, Doc Ock, and Hulk Hogan.

Ironically enough Neil Cicierega didn't get involved.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
To clarify, the big ANN expose is both about general bad behaviour within the Western anime community and about the heinous poo poo a few particular bad actors got up to (like Hazukari, the guy who kicked all this off, who managed to become vaguely associated with just about everyone in the North American anime scene and used this access and borrowed reputation to prey on an alarming number of vulnerable teenagers). It's not just all about Vic Mignogna.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Darth Walrus posted:

To clarify, the big ANN expose is both about general bad behaviour within the Western anime community and about the heinous poo poo a few particular bad actors got up to (like Hazukari, the guy who kicked all this off, who managed to become vaguely associated with just about everyone in the North American anime scene and used this access and borrowed reputation to prey on an alarming number of vulnerable teenagers). It's not just all about Vic Mignogna.

Apparently part of the deal is Hazukari tried to front some progressive cred?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Apparently part of the deal is Hazukari tried to front some progressive cred?

Anime fandom in the West is fairly LGBT-heavy, so it was an easy in. Also dovetailed unpleasantly well with his particular choice of victim - let's just say a bunch of people were very happy to get an opportunity to lend a hand to transgender kids so soon after the allegations broke.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's funny that such a terrible game did so much good.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 21, 2019

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

This is pretty cool and good

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/ChloeMinish/status/1087387639236448257

lol Hbomberguy is getting recognised by Scottish Parliament alongside AOC and a cat picture account.

Worth bringing up every single time She's mentioned but Kate Hoey was parachuted in to her constituency when the chosen candidate was deemed not what Labour wanted aka too black, female and left wing.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Trojan Kaiju posted:

One thing I want to mention is that in 2018, Swery released The Missing: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories. It came up relatively early on in the stream but it's a really important game and relevant to the interests of the thread because the main character is a trans lesbian and this game is one of the best representations of a trans person in games.

Yeah, I'm surprised how little attention that game has garnered, maybe because holy hell that game gets intense at places. Also feel like that may have been a bit of atonement from Swery for the ending of Deadly Premonition, which is the literal "guy in a dress" serial killer trope. As a game itself it was a good puzzle platformer with some neat new mechanics but the visceral mechanics is pure :staredog: and CONTENT WARNING: EVERYTHING.

achillesforever6 posted:

He's pretty evangelical so this isn't really surprising, but a bummer.

Even creepier is he has (had?) his own fanclub that dovetailed into Christian fellowship group for the kiddos that he actively participated in, even to the point of him posting "hey, this person is saying bad things about me, get 'em!" stuff there. Had a few friends run afoul of the Vic mobs. Also had at least one underage friend back in the day receive a copy of his CD of him reading bible verses with his phone number included.

Convention staff that I knew hated to book him because he was a sanctimonious self-serving rear end in a top hat; at best they grudgingly brought him to cons because he was a big draw, though I never heard the staff folk talking about hitting on the youngins as a reason why they disliked him.

Allegations against Vic long passed "open secret" because nobody has made any effort to hide those things for years, just nothing formal (that I'm aware of) had ever been started before. Glad it finally has, however.

I say this as a long time convention staffer and attendee - con culture needs the #metoo reckoning to happen, because even with con runners getting busted for underage stuff, we still have this stuff happening with staff, guests and "personalities".

Also I'm so happy to wake up Monday morning, see 400+ posts here and none about controversial movie trilogies.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's funny that such a terrible game did so much good.
Yeah, its also making tankies show what big babies they can be where they have to find a negative angle on goddamn everything

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Darth Walrus posted:

Anime fandom in the West is fairly LGBT-heavy, so it was an easy in. Also dovetailed unpleasantly well with his particular choice of victim - let's just say a bunch of people were very happy to get an opportunity to lend a hand to transgender kids so soon after the allegations broke.

He had absolutely no bounds and was willing to go for anyone, but he specifically considered trans people a prize to be won.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Good Bad or Bad Bad covers Ember Days, a modern fantasy film featuring goths, Ren Faire enthusiasts and terrible action scenes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

stillvisions posted:

Allegations against Vic long passed "open secret" because nobody has made any effort to hide those things for years, just nothing formal (that I'm aware of) had ever been started before. Glad it finally has, however.

I say this as a long time convention staffer and attendee - con culture needs the #metoo reckoning to happen, because even with con runners getting busted for underage stuff, we still have this stuff happening with staff, guests and "personalities".

He's done an apology, and it's your typical "I'm sorry you felt that way."

Couple of points - the 'no canon autograph' stuff is bogus because he'd sign Ed with an OC or whatever, I guess as long as the OC wasn't male and they weren't kissing.

The anti-Semetic stuff I've never heard about. Did it happen? I'm not shocked but that's the one I can't comment on.

Special shout-out to blaming the con staff. IT WAS ALL YOUR FAULT HE DIDN'T HAVE THE GREEN M&MS.

"Sorry for hugging/kissing you, who knew that was bad." Also blaming the climate.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yeah, my best friend staffed for a convention with Vic a few years back and even then it was kinda known "hey keep the little girls away from him he's kind of a creep."

Dawgstar posted:

IT WAS ALL YOUR FAULT HE DIDN'T HAVE THE GREEN M&MS.

I've read that some bands do that specifically to make sure that the promoter read their contract. If they see the green M&Ms they know that the promoter read the contract and the safety poo poo they need is there. If not, they know they need to double check.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/brown-out/

Here's a snopes article. I couldn't find the original one I read about it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

If I recall, the green M&Ms thing originated with The Who, and the incident everyone remembers of them flipping out over M&Ms also ended with the stage loving collapsing during load-in because the promoter didn't read the loving safety rider either. As someone who actually works in that industry, its a 100% justified level of paranoia because we are all on drugs, all the time, and cannot be trusted.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

This is pretty cool and good

Time to start a petition to get Hbomb knighted.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Senerio posted:

Yeah, my best friend staffed for a convention with Vic a few years back and even then it was kinda known "hey keep the little girls away from him he's kind of a creep."

I've read that some bands do that specifically to make sure that the promoter read their contract. If they see the green M&Ms they know that the promoter read the contract and the safety poo poo they need is there. If not, they know they need to double check.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/brown-out/

Here's a snopes article. I couldn't find the original one I read about it.

Vic would do some dick moves when it came to contracts and convention obligations. A few I can remember:

He's "invited himself" to smaller cons by making a public unsolicited offer to appear. The small con, if they can't afford him or don't want him there, now looks like the bad guy for saying no. In convention bookings, until contracts are signed both sides are supposed to keep quiet so there's no ill-will towards either side publicly if someone says no.

He would also try and have impromptu autograph sessions/appearances at cons, leaving staff scrambling to handle it, wrecking crowd-control plans or upstaging other guests signing at the time.

There was at least one other regular VA guest that he *hated* and I know there had been friction at some cons where they were scheduled to appear alongside one another at events. I'm pretty sure I heard at least one convention organizer jokingly(?) say he would do that on purpose.

I'm guessing some contract friction came from his Christian folk vanity project concerts he wanted - concerts are a pain in the rear end at best, and the con staff probably got stuck with his demands for an event that would have a draw of his fan club and nobody else, so that's a likely guess for where people got angry. Con's fault for agreeing to it, if so. That or the above impromptu appearances.

As for the underage allegations, thankfully the only firsthand reports I've heard aren't of contact, just of a grown-rear end man trying to invite a kid to talk privately which were refused, which even with the most optimistic set of blinders is incredibly dumb on his part.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Junpei Hyde posted:

He's a leading role in a film that just came out so thats a little awkward

If he's hot enough they'll just forget it, like with Jason Momoa.

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah, its also making tankies show what big babies they can be where they have to find a negative angle on goddamn everything

Wait, what?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I don’t think anybody could’ve ever guessed in a million years that hbomb’s Donkey Kong charity stream would get as big as it did but drat if it’s not the funniest and coolest thing ever

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Vic being a homophobic child predator has long been an open secret in the English speaking anime fandom. I remember reading warnings about him on LiveJournal a decade ago.

There’s a reason why when he was cast as Rin in Free that older fans were very upset. Heck, I wasn’t even a fan of Free and I was very upset.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So what is bigger, the DK64 stream or Jake?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
DK64 has gotta be less than Jake.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Yeah Vic’s issues have been a pretty known fact for a while, not surprising to see it coming up again
Unfortunately it’s a situation where he’s a pretty well-cemented talent at Funi and they’re probably reluctant to fire him and have him get scooped up by another company

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 21, 2019

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I just need Chris "Kirbopher" Niosi to get got. There have been credible charges of grooming minors and sex abuse against him for years.

They cast him as loving Reigen MobPsycho100, ruining the best anime character in history.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Trying to follow the stuff with Vic and Hazukari but I'm not very big into anime and I find it interesting that most everything appears to be happening in twitter threads. Aren't there industry outlets (e.g. like Polygon or Kotaku are for games) that would run a story about these allegations?

I guess I find it weird that in 2018 the Con scene is still so underreported, undermanaged, and underregulated.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 21, 2019

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

DK64 has gotta be less than Jake.

I've come to my senses that streaming is senseless.

Either that or Johnny Quest thinks they're all sellouts anyway.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 21, 2019

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Skippy McPants posted:

Trying to follow the stuff with Vic and Hazukari but I'm not very big into anime and I find it interesting that most everything appears to be happening in twitter threads. Aren't there industry outlets (e.g. like Polygon or Kotaku are for games) that would run a story about these allegations?

Not sure. Dub voice actors are in a weird place where besides the occasional "Vegeta voices quotes from movies" video from IGN or just an announcement of "this person is voicing this character" or something, they're largely tertiary to discussion about anime outside of fandom circles.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Augus posted:

Yeah Vic’s issues have been a pretty known fact for a while, not surprising to see it coming up again
Unfortunately it’s a situation where he’s a pretty well-cemented talent at Funi and they’re probably reluctant to fire him and have him get scooped up by another company

Well, Vic's not under contract or anything, they could just not cast him anymore. At the main studio or Chris Sabat's Okratron 5000 studio. Even the actors in LA which have a voice acting guild and everything are all freelance with auditions and everything that entails. I think Vic does a lot of his work out in LA now anyway but he is, unfortunately, a name.

The real trick would be to see if they continue to cast him as a lot of his fellow dub actors are very progressive-minded, or at least claim to be such.

Skippy McPants posted:

The closest you'd get would be it popping up in adjacent websites, like Kotaku, but one just for anime... there's not really one. Anime News Network might do something, maybe, but nothing yet.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 21, 2019

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

I should really get back on my LP of it, but I dunno, asides from the fact that I don't really want to spend time on it when I'm worried about finding a job and also I'm just kinda bummed out that there's not too many replies in my thread so it feels like I'm not really doing anything interesting or insightful with it (and also it makes the single page I've got on it take a loving eon to load because most of the posts are my updates, which are screenshot based :v:).
This is a little belated, but if you're worried about too many images on a given page you could try linking to your updates as posts on the off-site screenshot text poster, maybe with a little banner on the link. This probably makes it even more important to keep your updates backed up as a .txt or something though, because I don't think you can really go back and modify any pages created this way without remaking them entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

hopeandjoy posted:

Vic being a homophobic child predator has long been an open secret in the English speaking anime fandom. I remember reading warnings about him on LiveJournal a decade ago.

There’s a reason why when he was cast as Rin in Free that older fans were very upset. Heck, I wasn’t even a fan of Free and I was very upset.

I remember folks being upset when he was cast at Matt in Digimon Tri, doubly so when Michael Reiz (the original VA for the character) came out and said he wasn’t even called to see if he wanted to come back for it (he did) like pretty much everyone in the old cast was.

And yeah I’m honestly surprised it took this long for something to happen because I remember hearing stuff about him here on SA specifically like 10-ish years ago.