Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't know what you mean. There are no wolves on Fenris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MonsieurChoc posted:

Qanon Anonymous just went from Ninja Fortnite to The Jewish Question on youtube in three clicks on a fresh account.

We need mroe Contrapoints and Shaun and more.

Fortwhite Nationalism

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Max Wilco posted:

"Same Diva-isnous" ? Even in the field of poor attempts of converting nouns into adjectives, that's really bad.

Also, AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

On to actual content, I though I'd share this channel I've seen popping up in my recommendations: Snipe and Wib. They seem to do mostly off-the-cuff stuff, but they also do scripted reviews (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYL9xOlnQYaD5f9fEy0W9XqT0gUoJpFVD)

They cover a lot of Warhammer 40K stuff. I watched their review of the Ultramarines movie, which seemed fine.It seems like there most recent series of videos on 40K covers the old codices and publication: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYL9xOlnQYaBFFDjostev-ouOz3gxgU_v

Ultramarines is a fun movie and worth watching if you get the chance.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ultramarines is a fun movie and worth watching if you get the chance.

It's not great though. Helsreach, on the other hand...

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

the pendercast is becoming less and less of a joke thing i might do and more and more of a thing i want to do on a regular basis

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Imagine making a career from fleshing out the teenage sexual histories of cartoon characters.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Hbomberguy posted:

the pendercast is becoming less and less of a joke thing i might do and more and more of a thing i want to do on a regular basis

call it "Rating Pending"

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Hbomberguy posted:

A whole podcast on the exploits of Ken Penders? Well it wouldn't be the cringiest podcast I listen to.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Kenny Pendercast

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Hbomberguy posted:

Do eet!

I read all the Sonic and Knuckles comcis way back when, up to the stupid time travel with Knuckles daughter.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Computer take me to world building discourse for anything besides Star Wars, Marvel or Harry Potter. I'll take anything you got.

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/1115328007357358081

Computer wait no.

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/1115371825016348672

COMPUTER NO!

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/1115381123318599680

i read somewhere he had a super high fever and it hosed up his brain. Is their any truth to that? so what his deal. i know he wrote for the old archie sonic comics and went nuts over his weird knuckles mary sues.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Apr 9, 2019

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i read somewhere he had a super fever and it hosed up his brain. Is their any truth to that?

That would explain a lot.

E: On second thought, no, he's probably just a particular brand of weird genre lit writer. There were some weirdnesses around the edges even in the comics days.

Puppy Time fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 9, 2019

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Hbomberguy posted:

Do you need a second

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

DoctorWhat posted:

call it "Rating Pending"

One could honour your deep love for his work by calling it "Penderphile", but that might not go over well.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Pender Bender

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

As a kid, I preferred the Adventures of Sonic cartoon :colbert:

(why the hell were there two concurrent Sonic cartoons? Poor Jaleel White)

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
this ken penders talk is nice and all but where is the video essay deep dive of cerebus i've been waiting for all these years

adamcantsleep
Mar 20, 2016

Pants Donkey posted:

Same. As an 11 or 12 year old, I really saw it as fourth-wall breaking, surreal nonsense and the show seemed proud of that. Admittedly, its deliberate goofiness invited more than a few Doug Walker types to criticize it for it wasn't trying to be.

I haven't rewatched in since the 90s syndication heyday, barring Sonic Sez/Pingas memes, but--it was a silly show that hoped to marry the anarchic Nicktoons style (the R&S-style backgrounds, light gross-out humour, obsession with big ol' butts, sharp/weird character designs) with Roadrunner shorts.

I can see the suits thinking Jaleel was the ideal Sonic given that he was an extremely popular family-friendly entertainer of the time (and he might be super into Sonic IRL?), but adding a voice to the character almost never works. Shoulda gone the Roadrunner route except his "beep, beep" would be "NO GOOD!"

Edit: Speaking of online critics, I miss Cybershell. Please don't dox him (again). I just wish he'd come back and make vids about my favourite silly blue rat.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Solitair posted:

this ken penders talk is nice and all but where is the video essay deep dive of cerebus i've been waiting for all these years

that video essay would be 17 parts and each part would be 5 hours long to get into cerebus and dave sim in any appreciable depth

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Hot take: I like both AoStH and Sonic SatAM. I like them both for different reasons. They are two sides of the same coin. The alpha and omega. The light and dark. I've watched both of them all the way through (and I've read most of the Archie Sonic comic) so I understand media better than most people.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I liked them both fine as a kid, but that was way back before Sonic became... whatever it is today.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Alaois posted:

that video essay would be 17 parts and each part would be 5 hours long to get into cerebus and dave sim in any appreciable depth

i'm game for that

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

DoctorWhat posted:

call it "Rating Pending"

Pending Investigation

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
the most important ken penders thing is this video he hid from the world:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsdTPUy4sNI
it is the trailer for a movie based on a comic he did for image that managed to last one issue before cancellation, but which he had been planning for years--the main character of LOST ONES was given a central role in the sonic/image comics crossover from a few years prior to try and sell people on ken's idea, even though nobody had heard of her and her presence could only detract from what little appeal such a stupid crossover could offer. it is rumored that he used ideas from the comic for his knuckles comic since they weren't getting made, but that's not definite. regardless, in the end ken's dream was not to be, and nobody bought the thing or (shockingly) was interested in funding the lost ones movie either, despite the stunning teaser trailer. i'm sure the finished product will be along any day now, though

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Apr 9, 2019

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DoubleCakes posted:

Hot take: I like both AoStH and Sonic SatAM. I like them both for different reasons. They are two sides of the same coin. The alpha and omega. The light and dark.

Same. I understood that each was wildly different from the other and appreciated them both for what they brought to the table. When I was a kid AoStH was on on a daily basis at like 3:30 in the afternoon so it always on right after school when I got home. SatAM, conversely, came on at like 7:00 in the morning on Saturdays, and even as a kid I was the kind of person who loved to stay up late on Friday nights and sleep in on Saturday mornings. Plus it was frequently pre-empted by other programs because ABC didn’t give a poo poo about it so those times I actually got to see it live were rare gifts.

I went back and watched all the big important episodes online later on and, ya know, it still holds up rather well. Adventures Of, meanwhile gets a little cringey more often than not from what I’ve been able to stomach rewatching.

That said, I do appreciate the irony that Jaleel White for a very brief stretch of the 90s was playing both the coolest and uncool east characters on television at the same time. I think 10 year old me’s brain would have melted if you told me that Sonic the Hedgehog and Steve Urkel were the same person...

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I want to watch that movie. I want to inject it into my eyeballs.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kim Justice posted:

Oh jeez, Ken Penders...Real good talk in this page :D

I don't have a lot to add to anything here really but I did release a video on something fairly obscure that people seem to be digging, so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGMxh5lUMTA

That was a good vid, I haven't played the original in years but always remember enjoying it. That stick figure at the start of your videos is it from a game or did you create it yourself?

Still you can get into trouble from time to time.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Puppy Time posted:

I fukken loved Ken Penders's Sonic stuff as a kid so this is like watching my childhood shrivel into a disgusting moldy husk.

Edit:

It wasn't 1984 or especially clever, just different and dark for the time, when there weren't a whole lot of kids properties willing to get into darker (for kids) territory.

The premise was that Robotnik had taken over most of the world with his mechanical horror pollution robots, and captured the conquered population and turned them into robots with Science, overwriting their minds and personalities to become slaves, except there was a vestige of the original mind in there, so the people were kind of aware in some way of what happened to them.

And the main characters were a bunch of kids who'd escaped the takeover and were fighting Robotnik guerilla style, while occasionally encountering former loved ones who were now evil robots.

If you were ten and your alternatives were mostly Looney Tunes and Disney stuff, it was pretty awesome. Nowadays, there's more options, so it's not as clear how refreshing it was. (Kind of like how, post-Dark Age, Watchmen isn't as transcendent. Not that the two are especially comparable beyond relative darkness against their contemporaries.)

You are talking about the British Sonic comicbook, just called 'Sonic the Comic', or StC for short. It did get pretty 1984 once it established itself, going heavy into police state stuff. Not all the population were turned into robots, the threat of such being used to control dissidents and as punishment.

To my 11 year old mind this was incredible.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Pants Donkey posted:

Three. There were three.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

When you think about it, Robotnik was pretty hosed up in that he managed to weaponize Sonic's own uncle against him. Like, the concept of turning your loved ones against you like that blew my mind as a child.

Beast Machines did the same thing, since Megatron took a fan favorite character in Silverbolt, had him brainwashed and put into a new unrelated robot, and then sent then to defeat his own former friends who knew it was him and had to struggle with whether or not they could fight him.

That's dark stuff.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Alaois posted:

I maintain that the early comics before Sims went crazy still holds up.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think a lot of the blame for the weirder elements of Sonic fandom can be blamed squarely on Ken Penders, he’s the one that really dialed the melodrama and shipping up to 11. Not to mention being the purest incarnation of “original character do not steal” with his army of X the Echidnas, all of which he inexplicably now has total legal ownership of because Archie royally hosed up their record-keeping.

I love the story of how Sega, while re-evaluating their handling of the Sonic brand after the release of 06, checked in on what was going on with those American comic books and saw this:

And went “what the gently caress.”

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Takoluka posted:

When you think about it, Robotnik was pretty hosed up in that he managed to weaponize Sonic's own uncle against him. Like, the concept of turning your loved ones against you like that blew my mind as a child.

Beast Machines did the same thing, since Megatron took a fan favorite character in Silverbolt, had him brainwashed and put into a new unrelated robot, and then sent then to defeat his own former friends who knew it was him and had to struggle with whether or not they could fight him.

That's dark stuff.

I liked that they spent a while making you think he was a different unrelated robot, but then that one turned out to be Waspinator, who didn't remotely mind being used to power a robot that was cooler than him.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Shame about what Beast Machines did to Rhinox. It's impressive how they managed to assassinate the character of somebody so bland.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Takoluka posted:

That's dark stuff.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Shame about what Beast Machines did to Rhinox. It's impressive how they managed to assassinate the character of somebody so bland.

Beat Machines was done by an entirely different team who were very specifically told not to watch Beast Wars first iirc.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Augus posted:

I think a lot of the blame for the weirder elements of Sonic fandom can be blamed squarely on Ken Penders, he’s the one that really dialed the melodrama and shipping up to 11. Not to mention being the purest incarnation of “original character do not steal” with his army of X the Echidnas, all of which he inexplicably now has total legal ownership of because Archie royally hosed up their record-keeping.

I love the story of how Sega, while re-evaluating their handling of the Sonic brand after the release of 06, checked in on what was going on with those American comic books and saw this:

There was this huge Echidna family tree with names like Steppenwolf and Moonwatcher.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Takoluka posted:

That's dark stuff.

i remember sonic underground was weirdly dark, and then it ends with robotnik getting 9/11 by a drone.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Augus posted:

Sega also abruptly gave a bunch of character notes (after years of nothing at all) around the time of Sonic Adventure- suddenly, everything had to include game canon, and there were rules that basically said "Yeah, Sonic isn't allowed to have emotions or relationships beyond being Too Cool for School." This was not popular with the fanbase who were here for a soap opera about guerilla war furries.

I stopped following around that time, so I'm not sure how the quality was after that, or how the writing seems to have drifted back to its old ways, though I understand it's improved in recent years.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

poparena posted:

New Nick Knacks for ya' on Mr. Wizard's World, an 80s revival of a 50s childrens science show that inspired both Bill Nye and Beakman's World.

I'm really digging your stuff, but one bit of feedback: I'm not sure that big, long quotes (like at 10:30) work generally in the video-essay format. If you're going to do it, I'm confused as to why the entire thing--two really dense paragraphs--has to be on-screen all at once. You have it on-screen for nearly a full minute, and that feels like a really long time. If I have the video up on my side monitor I'll be looking to read the quote and then have to go fumble with skipping forward, but if I don't have it up I'm going to listen to a very long citation that, to me, is interesting but is also really long-winded and interruptive.

I would suggest editing your quotes down somewhat to hone in on the point you're trying to make and presenting them more in-line with your own work, rather than dropping them in as these big interruptions.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i remember sonic underground was weirdly dark, and then it ends with robotnik getting 9/11 by a drone.

i'm eternally thankful that my only exposure to sonic underground is baby.gif out of context