Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Only played beast of winter so far and it was fun. Not as expansive as white march was for poe1 but if you like the main game get it, it's just more of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The season pass is worth buying with one caveat: you have to be at least somewhat into the combat to get the most out of the second DLC. It's a battle arena basically, with some very cool fights, but those fights constitute the bulk of your time in there. There is a story and it's pretty fun(as well as expanded story stuff for one or two sidekicks) just bear that in mind

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Out of curiosity, what happened to the PnP game they'd put as a stretch goal?

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Your Parents posted:

shes a fascist whos pretty and talks about noble ideals.

She literally draws her powers from a passion for nationalism. I dislike her as a person, but as a character she makes complete sense imo.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

snoremac posted:

Sorry if this gets asked a lot but I haven't played since release and I'm wondering how the DLC is? I liked the main game. I liked White March.

Dlcs are well reviewed but smaller scale than white March was.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Amethyst posted:

POE has a weak story, so I'm not sure why you think this is a slam dunk.

Heard it here first folks, individual characters do not have their own story. The context of where and when you recruit Pallegina is completely irrelevant and she should've just been in the starting caravan with you.

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Azran posted:

Out of curiosity, what happened to the PnP game they'd put as a stretch goal?

I believe there's a basic rule set released that's mostly unfinished, I might be misremembering though. I know it's still being played and tested by assorted Deadfire staff, rope kid tweets about their sessions.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Nasgate posted:

Heard it here first folks, individual characters do not have their own story. The context of where and when you recruit Pallegina is completely irrelevant and she should've just been in the starting caravan with you.
I haven't followed that entire discussion about companion locations, and "POE has a weak story" is a pretty bad argument and also objectively wrong, fight me.
But to be fair, I never really understood why PoE didn't give you a full party of written companions in Act 1. It's not like Sagani or Hiravias couldn't have been in one of the early game areas.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Wizard Styles posted:

I haven't followed that entire discussion about companion locations, and "POE has a weak story" is a pretty bad argument and also objectively wrong, fight me.
But to be fair, I never really understood why PoE didn't give you a full party of written companions in Act 1. It's not like Sagani or Hiravias couldn't have been in one of the early game areas.

i think the intention was to mimic the BG1 style of companion acquisition, where almost every node on the map had a potential NPC that would join you. except, PoE1 gates you from going to certain map nodes at certain times, so you don't get the sense of wandering literally anywhere and finding cool people to hang out with. PoE2 isn't any closer to BG1 in that regard, except you get the majority of your party in/around port maje and the rest are found in neketaka

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Milli posted:

I believe there's a basic rule set released that's mostly unfinished, I might be misremembering though. I know it's still being played and tested by assorted Deadfire staff, rope kid tweets about their sessions.
Yeah, I'm still testing and revising it with an internal group. We've only had one combat so far and it has brought up a bunch of issues. I do want to get a new rev out before the end of the year.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Wizard Styles posted:

I think it might have been motivation to play with the character creator. My first playthrough on hard I had to make a character to fill out the party so I could get through Caed Nua.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I think it might have been motivation to play with the character creator. My first playthrough on hard I had to make a character to fill out the party so I could get through Caed Nua.

I usually hire an adventurer early. It helps a lot. The best adventurer to hire early in Poe1 is a Cipher. Mental Binding is absurdly overpowered and you get it quick.

Hiring someone also helps because once you get Caed Nua you can use the adventurer (or party member) to do stronghold quests. If you don't hire an adventurer then you won't have a surplus party member at the stronghold until you get Pallegina. Unless you rush to Hiravias that is.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Amethyst posted:

I don't get why POE put so many companion npcs so far into the game. Like the bird lady. How many people are going to kick out a party member they've spent tens of hours getting to learn to try out a paladin, 20+ hours into the game? Same with all of the white march NPCs.

I do it. I constantly rotate out party members and tweak their inventories and spend time with each of them. The game is log enough that everyone can get some screen time and character development.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
You can beeline to just about any party member in about 4-5 hours in either game once you know what you're doing. There might be an exception here or there but I can't think of one offhand.

edit: any non-expansion/DLC party member

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

rope kid posted:

Yeah, I'm still testing and revising it with an internal group. We've only had one combat so far and it has brought up a bunch of issues. I do want to get a new rev out before the end of the year.

There was talk of ship combat revisions being worked on at some point (think E3?) but it just kinda died down and there are no promises in the current roadmap. Is that still a thing that's been explored, or is ship combat going to stay more or less the same?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You can beeline to just about any party member in about 4-5 hours in either game once you know what you're doing. There might be an exception here or there but I can't think of one offhand.

edit: any non-expansion/DLC party member

Probably faster than that. Act1 of Pillars 1 is very short if you beeline to the stronghold.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Plus if you beeline to Caed Nua that means you can go back and do the early quests later and get lots of free sweet sweet stronghold turns

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?
Stronghold turns and the way adventures were picked behind the scenes were miserable mechanics if you were trying to grab specific rewards, and there were a lot of cool items locked behind that stuff to agonize over. I'm glad that stuff is gone in 2.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Another trick that makes the early PoE1 easy is to kill the backer NPC in the village. She drops a full plate .

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I wish there was stuff for companions to do when not in the party though, so there's a way someone you're not out doing stuff with right now is still present in the game. Ideally they'd be able to crew the ship(I'm making a mod for that but some bug or other stops their name displaying in ship board scenes :() but little missions would be neat too. Call one of them Average Adventure as a cute shoutout

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Furism posted:

Another trick that makes the early PoE1 easy is to kill the backer NPC in the village. She drops a full plate .

I'm such a boyscout I feel bad min/maxing that way.

How solo can you go in Deadfire? Crew the defiant by yourself solo?

Edit: Just finished PoTD on I and it turned into a slog because there were four general tactics that worked for pretty much any fight (barb watcher, Eder, Pallegina, Aloth, Hivaris. and pox face). I did level scaling, and only had to use consumables for the epic fights.

Also a little late for further tuning - maybe I got really lucky, but hitting three of the four of the dwarf spirits in WM1 with gaze of adragon in the first round trivialized that encounter.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 10, 2018

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Ginette Reno posted:

that ending owned tbh.

Agree. Fantastic callback to pen and paper. https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RocksFallEveryoneDies

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

I just assumed they ran out of money.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Nwn2 was weirdly concerned about FR canon (probably because Wizards is a bit of a meddlesome company with their IP) so the ending of the original game was probably just a convenient way to write out these powerful heroes from the setting.

Besides, as we see from the start of Mask it's hardly an obstacle for the next story.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

Stronghold turns and the way adventures were picked behind the scenes were miserable mechanics if you were trying to grab specific rewards, and there were a lot of cool items locked behind that stuff to agonize over. I'm glad that stuff is gone in 2.

My favorite thing was when an NPC appeared and then left my stronghold in the time it took to travel between two destinations. Why even tell me they were there, at that point?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Ainsley McTree posted:

My favorite thing was when an NPC appeared and then left my stronghold in the time it took to travel between two destinations. Why even tell me they were there, at that point?

tbf, it's extremely rare that an NPC shows up and disappears in less than a couple days, which is about the most single-destination travel time you'll have on the POE1 + WM map.
Why tell you? Presumably because it's a simple notification system, not a system that figures out which notes are applicable given some past condition and your present location. I think you can customize what it notifies you about?

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I'm finally playing a Benevolent/Diplomatic PC in Deadfire instead of a total shitlord, and I'm really surprised by how much combat is skippable.

But I still murdered those sailors above the Wild Mare because my PC is a Helwalker/Ascendant archer and I really wanted the ring they drop.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Xalidur posted:

I'm finally playing a Benevolent/Diplomatic PC in Deadfire instead of a total shitlord, and I'm really surprised by how much combat is skippable.

But I still murdered those sailors above the Wild Mare because my PC is a Helwalker/Ascendant archer and I really wanted the ring they drop.

you can pickpocket that ring actually

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Xalidur posted:

my character has maxed out benevolent and diplomatic reputations but I always pick the combat option whenever possible because it usually means a lot more loot to sell, and there is only so much money in the world. it ocurred to me somewhere along the line that my character is effectively a marauding sociopath with excellent PR

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

you can pickpocket that ring actually

It's too late, they've been dead for like 15 hours. I didn't hesitate for an instant. What a world.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?
Haha Microsoft just announced they bought inexile

...and also Obsidian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suvxb0OfhpQ

En Garde Motherfuckers fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 11, 2018

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

Haha Microsoft just announced they bought inexile

...and also Obsidian.

Congratulations Microsoft on...putting Interplay back together? :laffo:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

You know what? I'm loving pumped. Obsidian finally has a financial powerhouse behind them to keep putting out great games. Congrats to them.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
rope kid I hope you find some joy in fallout new incelifornia

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Looking forward to the post-apocalyptic RPG set on Eora starring Ori and her friend Master Chief.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
fingers crossed fellas

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
Wonder if anythings going to happen with that Chris Avellone getting screwed over by Feargus Urquhart (CEO) in regards to his weird co-ownership.

I remember him mentioning he never actually signed anything to resolve his rights with the company such as signing an NDA because the payout was a pittance when he was posting a shitload about it on RPGCodex and just not suing because he didn't they they were worth the issue. Also reminder that the CEO is a total scumbag who has his wife as a do nothing secretary and refused to pay backwages from when Obsidian literally couldn't afford payroll.

But now that they're linked up with Microsoft it might actually be worth the trouble?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Cautiously optimistic overall, with occasional hope for the future that alternates with feelings of Lucy syndrome

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Hey, more power to them. I hope it works out great and everyone gets a big payday and we all get more good games in the future.

I mean, hell, at least it's not EA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I have zero in faith in Microsoft for them to not run Obsidian into the ground, but here's hoping for the best.