Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

t-shirt is, predictably, sold out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
That was just a year in review gripe. What a bore.

I was excited to see how hot the 10900K would get in that case with a dozen fans and no airflow.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

That was just a year in review gripe. What a bore.

I was excited to see how hot the 10900K would get in that case with a dozen fans and no airflow.

I haven't watched it yet because comments like this have me worried I will be disappointed.

:ohdear:

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

The intro was the best part. There wasn't any actual build this year, it just went over poo poo from 2020 and Steve gave Nvidia the middle finger.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

t-shirt is, predictably, sold out

Back up for backorder if you want it.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Twerkdad posted:

The intro was the best part. There wasn't any actual build this year, it just went over poo poo from 2020 and Steve gave Nvidia the middle finger.

There was totally a build, just a bit of a paper launch

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I've been looking forward to the Disappointment PC since Steve reviewed that case months ago, unfortunately this video was mostly just a recap of things that annoyed him over the year.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

FuturePastNow posted:

I've been looking forward to the Disappointment PC since Steve reviewed that case months ago, unfortunately this video was mostly just a recap of things that annoyed him over the year.

Building the Disappointment PC would require them to use the AMD video card that smelled like it was burning all the time and that is not up to OSHA/fire code.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

EVIL Gibson posted:

Building the Disappointment PC would require them to use the AMD video card that smelled like it was burning all the time and that is not up to OSHA/fire code.

also i think they're genuinely afraid to put more stuff in that case for risk of killing it, the temps were so high they didn't even complete the full benchmarks the first time round

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The Disappointment PC should be made portable by mounting it on the cargo rack of the AMD murder bike

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

The Disappointment PC should be made portable by mounting it on the cargo rack of the AMD murder bike

I can’t help but think someone in AMD’s PR department went “Wait. Steve has a bike channel? Oh no what did you doooooooooooo”

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arivia posted:

I can’t help but think someone in AMD’s PR department went “Wait. Steve has a bike channel? Oh no what did you doooooooooooo”

and it's was even better when they made the type of bike he had vastly lots of experience in and fit enough to put it through its paces properly.

if they sent it to another reviewer as a sort of blenny but could only ride it up and down the street before being winded, they would have avoided the whole drama.

it would be like if Bethesda sent out their Fallout 76 dark rum Fisher Price bottling to Gray bottling* who does all of Buffalo Trace bourbon products plus more from other distilleries (which are numerous)

*I only bring it up because I toured there along with the on-floor tour where you are climbing flights of stairs all across the distillery to see the four story+ tall boilers is something else.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 4, 2021

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
They didn't send it to him. He bought it. Companies brand all kinds of poo poo, AMD just happened to brand a really, really bad bike at an exceptionally bad price. Of all the lovely bikes you can buy for rebranding out of China, they picked one of the absolute shittiest clearance products.

The cruiser isn't like... that bad. It's not worth the asking price, but it's not that bad. The mountain bike is just not a mountain bike. Nothing you can buy new for less than maybe $700 is.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

K8.0 posted:

They didn't send it to him. He bought it. Companies brand all kinds of poo poo, AMD just happened to brand a really, really bad bike at an exceptionally bad price. Of all the lovely bikes you can buy for rebranding out of China, they picked one of the absolute shittiest clearance products.

The cruiser isn't like... that bad. It's not worth the asking price, but it's not that bad. The mountain bike is just not a mountain bike. Nothing you can buy new for less than maybe $700 is.

yeah but like if you make an amd branded t-shirt or funko pop or something it's not literally the other passion of one of your hardest objective critics, it's just the most awkward hilarious coincidence

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Over/under on Linus being a money laundering operation? I can’t see how they can pay that many employees off youtube ads and tshirts

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

You obviously don't know how profitable YouTube is for top tier channels

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Linus has talked quite a bit about his own financials, but if you don't believe him, Valkyrae is a D-list streamer who got a youtube contract. She accidentally leaked her youtube metrics not long ago. Just under $173k US for a 28 day period, approximately $184k for the period before. That's just YT ad money, not including donations and sponsorships (which according to other people in the streaming and YT space are generally the larger portion of the revenue). She's on less than 1/4 of Linus's subs and views.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I hear they've hired Madison, finally.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It depends how close your ties are to Youtube I guess unless they’ve massively improved how much money channels get from ads recently. I remember Tom Scott saying in response to a question a few years ago about how do you support yourself through youtube, “You don’t” and that most of his income came from giving talks.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I think LMG also produces corporate training and marketing videos

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

do ltt even run youtube ads? all of their videos have sponsors

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

the talent deficit posted:

do ltt even run youtube ads? all of their videos have sponsors

Preroll ads at a minimum, yes.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Learning about their channel being a money laundering scheme would be getting the most enjoyment out of the channel possible, considering how bad and clickbaity the videos are.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

Learning about their channel being a money laundering scheme would be getting the most enjoyment out of the channel possible, considering how bad and clickbaity the videos are.

They're that way on purpose and Linus has talked about it in a few videos. Blame the viewers.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

njsykora posted:

It depends how close your ties are to Youtube I guess unless they’ve massively improved how much money channels get from ads recently. I remember Tom Scott saying in response to a question a few years ago about how do you support yourself through youtube, “You don’t” and that most of his income came from giving talks.

Bless his heart, the guy who made a video about not being able to do sponsored ads because they were dishonest doesn't make a lot of money from ads? That's where people like LTT are getting the big bucks, not the standard youtube pennies per thousand.

The video game streamers getting stupid money deals isn't about ads though, that's a temporary aberration from Amazon, MS, and Google fighting over a market.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

This lady has a great and ultra transparent video about the money she makes from social media. She has an article on Medium with a million views and she was paid $19,000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwEjZnHszFM

She also talks about it in another video but she has a super popular photography tips video on Youtube with millions of views but most of the clicks came from India for some reason. Those clicks are worth like 1/8th of an American click so ad revenue seriously depends on where your viewers are coming from.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zt57TWkTF4

Linus goes into the finances a bit. Basically he gets yt money, merch money and partnered video money. He's a massive presence in the industry - it wouldn't be crazy to see, say, the owners of a large PC gaming magazine in 90's living with his lifestyle, would it? He clearly pays his employees well (does Jake have a BMW M3?) so it's hard to fault him.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Doesn't Jake live with his mother? Like, I thought they were joking but then they never said anything to the contrary.

It seems like a fine place to work though; imagine how much nicer it would be if your boss actively wanted to get better hardware and infrastructure.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Some Goon posted:

It seems like a fine place to work though; imagine how much nicer it would be if your boss actively wanted to get better hardware and infrastructure.

I'm Canadian and I worked for a visual effects company and you can read between the lines and see what a miserable place that could be to work. The misery in the editing dept any time they're shown is palpable. Linus constantly jokes about how he's the boss and his is the only opinion that matters. The whannock server saga, the time they thought they could dump all their backups to google drive, the "why we don't license windows" video that I refused to watch, they're operating as a fly by night but have a sizable number of staff who are constantly putting out fires due to jerry rigged solutions.

Yes having Intel pony up for a 5k USD home tech upgrade is dope AF but it was like 5 on-camera personalities that got that treatment.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I don’t disagree it could be a horrible place to work (remember they had a woman doing on camera work for them for awhile making her hand model LITERALLY EVERYTHING and then she was just suddenly gone? I wonder why) but I should point out the Windows licensing video was literally just “we don’t activate all the PCs you guys see in videos because they’re largely temporary test builds. This is okay by Windows licensing, here’s our stack of actual licenses, just ignore it” mountain out of a molehill stuff, not “LINUS PULLS A FAST ONE ON MICROSOFT HERE IS HOW.”

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

mewse posted:

I'm Canadian and I worked for a visual effects company and you can read between the lines and see what a miserable place that could be to work. The misery in the editing dept any time they're shown is palpable. Linus constantly jokes about how he's the boss and his is the only opinion that matters. The whannock server saga, the time they thought they could dump all their backups to google drive, the "why we don't license windows" video that I refused to watch, they're operating as a fly by night but have a sizable number of staff who are constantly putting out fires due to jerry rigged solutions.

Yes having Intel pony up for a 5k USD home tech upgrade is dope AF but it was like 5 on-camera personalities that got that treatment.

LOL
Don't know what the whannock server is, but I know they've crashed without backups, yeah that's dumb.

They didn't actually think they could use Google drive as a backup.

If you watch the license video you will see they license Windows properly.

It's insane how jealous Linus makes people.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I haven't really got the vibe of "palpable misery" from the editor's den, if anything it looks like a pretty OK place? They have a tight deadline system but the videos themselves clearly let the editors goof around and spend time making fun. How many terrible photos of Linus get dropped in per video? That's not exactly the output of some despotic leader.

The google drive thing was clearly a dumb experiment no one expected to work.

As for Max leaving, they did a whole video on that :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TftKgvXUH54

Looks just a terrible place to work. Pretty sure she's doing some level of hand modeling at the moment judging from IG.

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

I just hope that Anthony is paid well and that he is happy

(I also hope that everyone else is paid well but yaknow)

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

mewse posted:

At least here in the US, if you work at a lousy lovely job, you have a right to leave. My boss cant hold me hostage and force me to work, neither can Linus. The "misery" in the editing department honestly doesn't seem that bad at all. If anything, I think they might be a little annoyed when there are cameras in their room unexpectedly but I have never thought any of them were upset. Even the time he rolled a spool of HDMI cable through the editing department, sure they looked a little annoyed at the time, but I highly doubt he didn't actually give them a little notice. If he didn't give them notice, and does this stuff every day, go back to my previous point- you have a right to quit if your boss is an rear end in a top hat, apparently the editors don't feel he is enough of an rear end in a top hat to make them want to quit.

The server thing maybe you have a point, on the other hand for a channel about DIYing PC hardware, I think it would be wrong if they used just a boring off the shelf server. They obviously have external hard drives, flash drives, and probably even a Synology box or two scattered around, as well as one large, central NAS that has a kinda crazy Linus style setup. Same argument for Google drive. As for windows licensing, if you do not want to spend the time to watch the video, then I do not want to spend my time telling you why you are wrong (which has already been done in a previous post). Operating as a fly by night jerry rigged tech company is the entire point of Linus Tech Tips. If you want reliable poo poo that never breaks go put on Level 1 Techs and fall asleep, it's good information but it's extremely boring.

Arivia posted:

I don’t disagree it could be a horrible place to work (remember they had a woman doing on camera work for them for awhile making her hand model LITERALLY EVERYTHING and then she was just suddenly gone? I wonder why) but I should point out the Windows licensing video was literally just “we don’t activate all the PCs you guys see in videos because they’re largely temporary test builds. This is okay by Windows licensing, here’s our stack of actual licenses, just ignore it” mountain out of a molehill stuff, not “LINUS PULLS A FAST ONE ON MICROSOFT HERE IS HOW.”
Well said, I agree with you, except I don't think Max is any way a problem. Sure she did a lot of hand modeling, but that is not something I would consider cruel or unusual in a work environment. Similarly, she did choose to leave, people can leave LTT if they want to, Linus can not hold people hostage.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I have no way of knowing the work environment at LMG, but loving lol if you unironically think that people at a job aren’t unhappy, under appreciated, or overworked unless they are quitting.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Not Wolverine posted:

Operating as a fly by night jerry rigged tech company is the entire point of Linus Tech Tips.

Very much this. Doing stupid poo poo and things being on fire is why the channel has 12 million subs, y'all are crazy if you can't imagine there is some exaggeration or planned chaos going on. If this poo poo was on TV you'd assume that what was on the screen wasn't 100% reality, this isn't different just because it's on youtube. Thinking you can get any view of the real work environment behind the edited performance of people who know they're doing poo poo for the camera is real dumb, even if it's unscripted.

"Being on the Real World must have been a terrible work environment, they were always yelling at each other."

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
linus in his regular videos is fairly insufferable but that's his stage persona. steve from gamersnexus did a long off-the-cuff interview/behind the scenes video with him a while ago where he comes off in a completely different light and appears quite reasonable.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Worldshatter posted:

I just hope that Anthony is paid well and that he is happy

(I also hope that everyone else is paid well but yaknow)

Linus has mentioned on WAN show that they pay at or above industry standard.

They've also gone out of their way to help their employees. They sponsored Dennis so he could keep working in Canada. Linus and Yvonne let Luke stay with them a couple years ago. They just did the fundraising stream for their employee that passed away over the holiday.

They talk alot about behind the scenes and personal stuff on their stream.

I have my criticisms about their content, but Linus ain't dumb when it comes to running his business. He separated himself from the financial and HR side of the company, and seems to care about the quality of life for his employees. I've worked for people like that and it was a blast.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Baronash posted:

I have no way of knowing the work environment at LMG, but loving lol if you unironically think that people at a job aren’t unhappy, under appreciated, or overworked unless they are quitting.
Yeah, pretty much that. I'm annoyed as gently caress by my job (actually it's the poo poo pay for what I do), but given my qualifications (mostly just a lack those lovely papers spelling D-I-P-L-O-M-A) my options are limited. So I just stick with it, because it mostly can just get worse. I know plenty of others with the same situation.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Baronash posted:

You're right, jobs suck, that's how our society works. Everyone will feel unhappy, under appreciated, or overworked at some point, that is simply a fact of modern society and economics. If your boss is bending over backwards to give you everything you want, everybody should be lining up trying to take your job. Every single job has it's ups and downs.

Regardless, that is a debate about economics which is not the same as a debate about whether or not there is evidence of Linus being a bad boss. I personally do not feel like any of the "evidence" posted here has shown that LMG is any worse than any other job.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, pretty much that. I'm annoyed as gently caress by my job (actually it's the poo poo pay for what I do), but given my qualifications (mostly just a lack those lovely papers spelling D-I-P-L-O-M-A) my options are limited. So I just stick with it, because it mostly can just get worse. I know plenty of others with the same situation.
I'm sorry you're in a lovely situation. The way the US work culture and education system is setup does have some problems, it does hold people back. That said, I know my job really sucks right now, but I know I am here in part because of my own fault, and in part because of factors I feel have been beyond my control. You're right, but that is a debate that is not the same as whether or not Linus is a good or bad boss.