Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Shaggar posted:

its definitely not windows rendering

twitter recompressed my amberpos consolas into a jpg, degrading it

mrmcd posted:

atomicthumbs I hope you're happy about reigniting the amber/greenpos wars.

why do you think I did this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

graph posted:

yeah only one man has access to that lever

albert einstein?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

atomicthumbs posted:

Even death itself can bring no consolation for the amberposer. Hth.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

atomicthumbs posted:

lol at the implication that anything could be done to an amberposer that could further degrade them

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

fart-powered cars posted:

only did cars for a while tesla ruined my taste for it but i keep up a little bit. the china stuff is really interesting because they're making some really neat looking cars that look totally unsafe

That's not even EV specific. Many German vehicle engineers went to China in the late 2000s and now come back with horror stories about the level of vehicle safety and quality control there. From cringe stuff like seating poor fitting valve tappets in with hammers to dangerous poo poo like faulty torque tools that get used to torque wheel assemblies and brake calipers. Oh and every EURO NCAP test of a Chinese production car here is a popcorn event usually.

Also OP you are a cool guy and thanks for the thread, it was a great read although the programming was over my head.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

prisoner of waffles posted:

teledildonics qa tech itt, aha

we call it tele-elonics ^o_o^

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

c'mon deece four figgies

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I started reading "Start With Why" last night on the suggestion of my boss' boss so the whole :redhammer: rubber mallet thing is fresh in my mind.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sagebrush posted:

c'mon deece four figgies

gettin close to the end of the workday on the west side of the continent. bored workers do the needful

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

in my experience the best posting comes from ur workdesk on a friday

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
elon also made me sign an nda but in my case it stands for "No, Daddy Angry!"

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

thanks for bringing this thread to my attention. i have this to say in summation: lmbo

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
but as long as we're being naughty, i can tell you all that elon isn't his real name. it actually stands for "everybody loves open networks", a nod to his love of terrible security

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

in my experience the best posting comes from ur workdesk on a friday

What in your posting experience can possibly have "best" applied to it?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

lmao

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Schadenboner posted:

"hmmm, best pretend i didn't read that"

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V6_SCQ3P30

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

atomicthumbs posted:

why do you think I did this

amber is the correct setting

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Trig Discipline posted:

but as long as we're being naughty, i can tell you all that elon isn't his real name. it actually stands for "everybody loves open networks", a nod to his love of terrible security

holy fuckin poo poo

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

"best left unread"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

in my experience the best posting comes from lots of fiber

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
hi guys, first time poster, i saw this thread on twitter.

i currently drive a ferrari f430 but i wanted something with a little more curb appeal and power, should i get the tesla model 3 or model s?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
holy gently caress that reddit thread and the sycophantric attidude is loving crazy

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

r/programming is watching now

https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/99zrwk/former_tesla_firmware_engineer_discusses_the/

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Beast of Bourbon posted:

hi guys, first time poster, i saw this thread on twitter.

i currently drive a ferrari f430 but i wanted something with a little more curb appeal and power, should i get the tesla model 3 or model s?
model x all the way, dude

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/99z3jl/former_tesla_firmware_engineer_discusses_the/e4ry2jg/

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i like it, but it seems to be missing something.....

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

this is the best reddit comment thread so far

https://www.reddit.com/r/EnoughMuskSpam/comments/99sbwa/former_tesla_programmers_anecdotes_about_problems/e4qlr6e/

quote:

sjsu_dropout
59 points
·
15 hours ago
I am skeptical as well. The whole post sounds like some bored engineer wanting to stir up the "normies". Way too many tech and engineering lingo compressed together in sentences.

I consider myself a pretty decent engineer (currently a SWE at Google) and have friends in Waymo. I can definitely say nobody talks like this.

giant 700TB single mysql database

Bullshit. In a sharded setup, maybe. But in a single instance, not possible.

upload a 30MB log via HTTPS POST

Um, ok. But that just reminds me of some quote in some funny movie: "You made me bleed...my own blood!". Mentioning "HTTPS POST" is redundant, unless you are trying to impress some non-technical people ;)

about ~100k lines of C in a single file. code reviews were always a laugh riot

Aha! Got you! You went too far with trying to impress everybody with "tech-speak" to appear you worked in Tesla. What I also didn't mention before was that I also worked at Tesla before joining Google.

I can say for a fact that we NEVER did any code reviews.

You are full of poo poo, good sir!

quote:

level 3
wm32d
12 points
·
9 hours ago
·
edited 8 hours ago

*I can definitely say nobody talks like this.

Also software engineer, only in European Aerospace - some people do talk like that (I hate it, but it certainly does happen).

*Mentioning "HTTPS POST" is redundant, unless you are trying to impress some non-technical people ;)

Jesus... that's really your complaint about this post?

*I also worked at Tesla before joining Google I can say for a fact that we NEVER did any code reviews.

It ever went past your mind that he might have worked there longer than you did, and that workflow changed to include code reviews after a number of fuckups? Or that different depts might have different flows? Also: lol, you just made Tesla look much worse with that remark.

quote:

wm32d
12 points
·
9 hours ago
·
edited 8 hours ago
normies

As a long-ago ex-Googler I find it amusing to watch employees name-drop where they work, always with some underlying subtext implying authority (fully aware in writing this I am also doing the same thing), a trick that carries well because that company allegedly has such a stringent interview process (BS - they hired me). Parent comment doesn't simply imply this but explicitly uses it as the basis for calling OP out. It's amusing because the namedrop is always accompanied by some claim they felt they couldn't support solely through a sound argument.

Meanwhile the points made are relatively sound, 100kLOC C firmware updater set off my BS alarm (assuming 98k of that wasn't some static data tables), and the 700TB MySQL DB while possible is extremely unlikely.. even given a huge JBOD setup which nobody in their right mind would plug into a single server, InnoDB tops out at 64TB per table in the best case, which means OP would need a single database with somewhere around 10 64TB tables

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
dear reddit: i really am grimes. as long as you're here it's time to admit that all of my music was actually made by james blake and i'm just a girl he hired from a local high school when he was on tour

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
i hope this thread is just the stuff that makes lowtax walk again

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

"We never did ANY code reviews"

I'm sorry wut

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
please buy my new EP, entitled Eatin' Ain't Cheatin'

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Chaosfirev posted:

"We never did ANY code reviews"

I'm sorry wut
i couldn' tell if that was one big subtle buildup to a massive burn on tesla, but no it's reddit so of course that was entirely sincere from start to finish

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it
normies? in my YOSPOS?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

lil bip posted:

normies? in my YOSPOS?

:ohdear:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Not a Children posted:

EE as well here, from my understanding, the chargers have the option of AC and DC output at varying levels adjustable on your model and charging needs. Software interlock apparently controls it, so you're not just gonna have kiddies tapping and zapping (I'd hope)

It's DC voltage so not quite as dangerous but lol @ the raw amount of wear and tear that much energy would put on off-the-shelf Li-ON battery assembly

oh sure a software interlock on a HV system capable of dumping 120kW sustained into whatever is unfortunate enough to be at the other end.

from a company that as demonstrated in this thread might have some issues with software design methodology and QA.

great idea!

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles
Can we take that reddit post at face value and say Tesla doesn't do code reviews?

That sounds fun

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Trig Discipline posted:

:hmbol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят