Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

What guns have you owned for a significant time and never put any rounds through? I've owned a VEPR 12 for almost 2 years and haven't shot it yet.

If it's ammo scarcity, collector's piece, lost or forgotten, maybe even straight up broken parts let us know. What's preventing you from shooting your gats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

I've only put blanks through my Finn Mosin because gently caress x54R is so expensive. For less than the price of 20 rounds I can get like 80 blanks it's just no contest. I've got four clips of x54R sitting around and every time I'm like, "I don't want to waste these..."

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Probably my Turk mausers. They were the first guns I ever bought and I shot the poo poo out of them, but once I got some German mausers they just kind of never got taken. I still shoot the RC K98k that I bought about six months after them a ton, but those guys not so much.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Inherited a Stevens single-shot break-action shotgun. In 20ga. Also the stock doesn't connect securely to the receiver; it wobbles. I've never even bought ammo for it, and don't intend to.

Dad told me he used to scare coyotes with it, because he sure couldn't hit them.

So, it lives in the safe.

Addendum: can we get a "why haven't you sold it, then?" rider? Think that might be interesting.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Behind every great engineer is someone just hoping the "genius" doesn't bankrupt everyone.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Probably my Turk mausers. They were the first guns I ever bought and I shot the poo poo out of them, but once I got some German mausers they just kind of never got taken. I still shoot the RC K98k that I bought about six months after them a ton, but those guys not so much.

Haven't sold these because of laziness and them not being worth getting rid of. Just not worth enough for the hassle.

If I ever flat had to get rid of them because of space concerns or something I'd just find someone local to give them to.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Shima Honnou posted:

I've only put blanks through my Finn Mosin because gently caress x54R is so expensive. For less than the price of 20 rounds I can get like 80 blanks it's just no contest. I've got four clips of x54R sitting around and every time I'm like, "I don't want to waste these..."

What? Expensive? poo poo, send me your address and i will mail you a pack of 20 rounds from a com-block ammo spam can. Also, tell me where to get cheap blanks. Please? :)

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Steeltalon posted:

What's preventing you from shooting your gats?

I just have too many.

Eventually I just got over having to shoot every gun and just shoot what I want to shoot.

Part of the problem is that there are some guns that I just like shooting so much when I do get to shooting that I just don't bother with other guns. The Colt Camp Perry and the HK P7m13 for example are just so great to shoot that they kind of keep me from playing with much else.

Once I have proper lighting and ventilation in my range I'll probably start actually shooting a lot more, pistols at least, we will see what that changes. I would like to put a lot of rounds through my HK USP .45 and my Glock 19.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice

All my shotguns and my le2b savage. Once i figured out i could hit an Aframe plate standing, lying prone trying to get all bullet holes touching just lost interest.

And shotguns just suck

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Applesnots posted:

What? Expensive? poo poo, send me your address and i will mail you a pack of 20 rounds from a com-block ammo spam can. Also, tell me where to get cheap blanks. Please? :)

I'll pm later since I'm at work but classic's got 80 round packs of blanks for like $17, they're fun as poo poo, loud and great fiery flash.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

I just have too many.

Eventually I just got over having to shoot every gun and just shoot what I want to shoot.

Part of the problem is that there are some guns that I just like shooting so much when I do get to shooting that I just don't bother with other guns. The Colt Camp Perry and the HK P7m13 for example are just so great to shoot that they kind of keep me from playing with much else.

Once I have proper lighting and ventilation in my range I'll probably start actually shooting a lot more, pistols at least, we will see what that changes. I would like to put a lot of rounds through my HK USP .45 and my Glock 19.

Get two assistants. One hands you a gun, you shoot it once, the other takes it from you. Repeat. See how long it takes you to shoot all of them.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Shima Honnou posted:

I'll pm later since I'm at work but classic's got 80 round packs of blanks for like $17, they're fun as poo poo, loud and great fiery flash.

Dont have pms, hit me up at hearsesalad at the google poo poo.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I've also got a handful that I rarely shoot or have never shot due to ammo issues. I've got a Remington Model 8 in .32 Rem that I think I've shot a total of 20 rounds because the ammo's expensive. I've also got a T99 Arisaka that I think I put a box through for the same reason. Plus a pre-WW2 German target rifle in a super obscure caliber that I've never shot.

All three of those (especially the german gun) are at the top of my list of calibers to pick up dies for.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

Never shot my 1941 Mauser , the Portuguese export one. Bore is cherry. Maybe one day if I buy some commercial ammo. Iíve got some 42 Turk 8mm that shoots fine but Iíd rather play it safe. Also I bought 2 91/30 PUs and left one unfired. One day Iíll probably shoot it alongside the other and sell whichever is less accurate.

Iím a shooter more than a collector but donít mind keeping a couple just to look at.

My friend bought a full auto MAC10 probably 5 years ago and has never shot it. I canít comprehend it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Sten Freak posted:

My friend bought a full auto MAC10 probably 5 years ago and has never shot it. I canít comprehend it.

Jesus christ, that's . . . . I don't know what that is.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

Jesus christ, that's . . . . I don't know what that is.

An investment in the future

(considering NFA prices in general since even the early aughts it's a smart one)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

An investment in the future

(considering NFA prices in general since even the early aughts it's a smart one)

It's not like a Mac10 is some kind of precious fabrige egg that you have to handle with white gloves and keep out of UV light. The valuable thing there is the serial number. Shoot out the barrel? gently caress up the extractor? Whatever. Short of taking a torch to the receiver you're not going to damage it such that it loses significant value.

Someone not shooting his numbers matching G41(M) with all the various fragile and irreplaceable parts I get. Not shooting a mac 10 is just puzzling.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

To end further speculation heís a strange cat. Love him like a brother but thereís no way any of us could really figure it out.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

My main issue isn't the guns, it's the range. Now that I have adult person cash, I'm going to join one the second I'm able.

Heeeeey Cyrano, I've got some drat good recommendations on PNW Oregon shooting spots. Any opinions?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Captain Log posted:

My main issue isn't the guns, it's the range. Now that I have adult person cash, I'm going to join one the second I'm able.

Heeeeey Cyrano, I've got some drat good recommendations on PNW Oregon shooting spots. Any opinions?

Not really. I've been out of the PNW for long enough that my shoot spot intel isn't really any good.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

For me it's an 870 Express with a scoped cantilever slug barrel. Matte finish, plastic furniture, but luckily made before Remingtons went totally to poo poo.

I bought it to use in non-rifle counties and have since found myself with little time to really devote to hunting. When I can I mostly hunt locally with a bow so the slug gun sits in the safe. Just taking it to the range to shoot is out as slugs aren't fun and the 870 itself isn't very interesting.

I hang onto it as I might have a chance to go duck hunting on LI Sound at some point. When that opportunity arises I'll find a used barrel with chokes.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Black Lives Matter

Just about every gun Iíve ever owned except for an AR15 (everybody who finds out Iím a gun owner will ask to shoot an assault rifle) and the CZ I use mostly for USPSA.

I donít have access to land or a private range where I can do anything other than sit/stand at a bench and shoot paper with an RO breathing down my neck. I find this boring as heck so I only do it to make sure new stuff works. 90% of my ďtrigger timeĒ is USPSA meets.

Iíve recently just got fed up with this and sold off nearly all my guns and replaced them with guns that fit nicely into USPSA/Steel Challenge/IDPA divisions and gave a couple of exceptions for a couple of carry/self defense guns for when I eventually get around to getting a permit (or the Unicorn Uprising).

MrBusiness
Jan 19, 2016

My CZ 52 is inaccurate, extremely unergonomic, relatively expensive to shoot, and the slide stop is broken.
I never shoot either of my shotguns (a 20ga "Churchill" SxS and a pre-Model 10 Remington Repeating Shotgun) because I don't really shoot clays and it's not fun to just blast the patterning backstop.
My Model 94 was always picky about what ammo it would shoot decent groups with, then just refused to shoot well altogether.
Of all of them I mostly miss shooting the 94. It's been "mine" since I was thirteen, I've taken five deer with it, and it's really satisfying.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Haven't shot either of my Garands or either of my M1 Carbines. Same for my M1914. Barely shot my Sig 1911-22 for that matter, or my AR-15. 95% of my shooting for the past several years has been clays with my Citori, nothing else is as fun.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

I have a Winchester Model 50 20 Gauge (circa 1960) that was technically my first gun, but it only lasted one year before it was replaced by my Beretta AL390 complete with modern things like interchangeable chokes, a 3Ē chamber, steel shot rated barrel and parts availability. The best I can figure, the Winchester was last used around 2009 as a loaner shotgun for backyard clays or squirrel hunting. Iíve always meant to have it threaded for chokes, but it lives at my parents house so itís easy to forget about.

I think I have shot all my other guns in the last year though some are rarely in the rotation.

Stuff like my inline muzzleloader can go 2 years without being shot if I didnít draw a muzzleloader tag because itís horrible to clean and itís like $2/shot with sabots. I have tend to build specialized hunting guns like my turkey shotgun with a red dot that permanently lives on the receiver. Stuff like that doesnít get used often at the range except for checking zero and whose use can vary wildly depending on where my hunting ADHD takes me.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

An FM Hi Power that I was planning on fixing up. It was my dad's that he bought back in the late 90's-early 2000's. We used to shoot it a bunch but it doesn't have a ton of sentimental value though, and it needs some new magazines and probably some springs replaced but :effort: It is a pretty sweet shooter though which is why I haven't sold/traded it yet.

Bogon
Nov 7, 2006

Now that I have around 160ish guns there are a few of these that got placed in the back of the safes and forgotten about or there is stuff that is stupidly expensive to shoot or afraid of parts breaking.

Remington Model 700 in .264 Win Mag at $3 a bang never shot it. Also .264 win mag is a known barrel burner.
M1 Carbine Ammo got expensive stopped shooting it.
Nazi Era Walther PPK I picked it up for $300 last year. Im afraid of a part breaking since drat germans serialized everything on this stupid thing it that so it sits in the safe
My Grand Fathers SxS 12ga. that he had built by some boutique Italian shotgun manufacture in the early 50's when he sold his company to oshkosh b gosh. Im afraid to shoot it and have something break as I cannot get parts for it anymore.
Saiga-12 now that I have a vepr 12 it sits in the safe.
High Standard Olympic Model 105 Military has cycling issues so it sits in the safe.
FNP-40 I really hate this thing so it sits in my safe collecting dust.
My Grandfathers Win. 62a that his father bought him its got its issues so it sits in the safe
My Grandfather's Stevens Single Shot Model 107B 16ga. This thing is rusted as gently caress and 16ga is expensive.
My Grandfather's Hi-Power bring back from WWII afraid of parts on it breaking.
My Dads Mossburg 44 It needs a major overhaul on the bolt just never had the time for it.
CZ-52 drat thing needs a new slide never found one.
Colt Lawmen Wyatt Earp Limited Edition my grandfather bought this never shot it my father never shot it and I'll never shoot it.
...I think that's it but I can't remember everything I have must consult excel file that is 2 years out of date.

Bogon fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 16, 2018

Comfy sponk
Mar 30, 2007

Stuff that sits collecting dust:

Ruger blackhawk: haven't shot it much since the front sight hosed off while shooting it.
sterling .25: for a while, it was my cheapest gun that was the most expensive to shoot.
Great grandpa's winchester 1901: low power 10ga is pricey and somewhat difficult for me to source and there may be some issues with it.
Ruger scout rifle: most pits that I have access to are not 100 yards deep and blasting 308 can get expensive for me.

Most everything else goes out with me when I go shooting.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

My SVT40 was a forgotten gat for a long while, but now it's at a new goon home where hopefully it gets shot a lot.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

Bad Dog

My Aero Precision M5 (AR-308) with Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 and Geissele SSA-E

Everything about it should be cool and fun to shoot, I just never bring it to the range for some reason.

I've even got a Saker can to put on it, but :effort:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Winchester 1887. Previous owner slightly split the muzzle and it's a wallhanger. Sometimes tempted to get it rebarreled but :effort:

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

My Gew. 88

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

You might not shoot it but drat if that isnít an awesome rifle.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Cyrano4747 posted:

You might not shoot it but drat if that isnít an awesome rifle.

What was the shootability and quality of the WWI/WWII bolts? If the answer is, "READ THIS" I'll do it.

(I play too much BF1 and get pretty embarrassed at how little I know, weapon wise)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Short answer? More or less identical for all of them. Broadly speaking they were all sufficient to the task given, to the point where nothing really changes if you swap around everyoneís guns.

Longer answer on a phone at bed time? Ww1 French guns were getting kind of long in the tooth and had some old gun issues. The enfield was being replaced in 1913 for good reasons. The mosin was actually pretty OK. The Mauser is pretty much the baseline for ďyes this is a good bolt gun.Ē The 1903 is a Mauser with target sights. The Ross is great if youíre shooting at the olympics less so in a trench. The m1917 is pretty much the best bolt gun for practical man killing that saw service in a bolt gun war. The Mas36 is probably the best military bolt gun ever made but whoops it was designed in 1936 when everyone else was working on their new semi auto designs.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 17, 2018

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Best sights on a bolt gun for actual shooting people not paper goes to the mas36 or the m1917. Worst probably the 1903 but Iíve never sighted down a Ross so thatís always an option.

Accuracy itís pretty much down to the factory. Any design is capable of being more accurate than it needs to be. Iíve got a 42 OH gently caress NAZIS mosin and a 42 ďwe actually give a poo poo about this rifleĒ sniper mosin and holy crap one of those is a pleasant to shoot and super accurate rifle and the other is an up jumped fence post with some misplaced plumbing screwed to it.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Cyrano4747 posted:

All three of those (especially the german gun) are at the top of my list of calibers to pick up dies for.

What's the moon caliber out of curiosity?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Cyrano, can you go pic up a doctorate in military archaeology? I want to read the papers you'd write. :)

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Sten Freak posted:

Never shot my 1941 Mauser , the Portuguese export one. Bore is cherry. Maybe one day if I buy some commercial ammo. Iíve got some 42 Turk 8mm that shoots fine but Iíd rather play it safe. Also I bought 2 91/30 PUs and left one unfired. One day Iíll probably shoot it alongside the other and sell whichever is less accurate.

Iím a shooter more than a collector but donít mind keeping a couple just to look at.

I sincerely regret not buying one of those PU mosins when they were $550. I'd just started a new job and figured I'd wait for a check, then they went up $50 and I was like ehhh I'll see if another retailer has them. Kinda forgot about it and when I remembered they were gone.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

shalafi4 posted:

What's the moon caliber out of curiosity?

8.15x46r

GIS it itís a funky looking round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

...The Mas36 is probably the best military bolt gun ever made but whoops it was designed in 1936 when everyone else was working on their new semi auto designs.

Eh, not quite. It was designed in 1936 for standardized interim issue to REMF and paramilitary while working on a semi for front line use that would ultimately filter down. But whoops, Third Reich.

• Locked thread