Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

oh wait I meant tumbleweed. And a fun thing I started doing is seeing how long I can just survive on melee in the poker room upstairs. The melee stuff, especially the execute, is like kind of brutal but I also don't know how to use it all the time so, it's a chance to practice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Eggplant Ronin posted:

Shouting slogans from a heavily guarded tower while using a high-powered rifle to dome a Mexican gunslinger is Bad Praxis.

Should've opened an outlaw/bandit pursuit with assassination missions against high ranking NPCs and police officers

Solidarity comrades, yeehaw yee y'all

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Legendary Bounty is running around in the swamp with some hallucinogenics. Bring an alligator murdering gun.

Chello De Don
Nov 12, 2006

and now i do

Evil Badman posted:

Legendary Bounty is running around in the swamp with some hallucinogenics. Bring an alligator murdering gun.

this will be a very NO-ARABIAN-HORSES-ALLOWED bounty

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Evil Badman posted:

This whole bounty just makes it more apparent the Night Folk should be always active in the swamp

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Coming back to this and its nice to see online has lots more now.

I'm starting out with trading but it seems really hard to keep materials up. Even dropping off good or perfect carcasses won't keep production from halting for long.

Am I missing something or do I just need to setup camp somewhere nice and grind for a bit?

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Sleekly posted:

Coming back to this and its nice to see online has lots more now.

I'm starting out with trading but it seems really hard to keep materials up. Even dropping off good or perfect carcasses won't keep production from halting for long.

Am I missing something or do I just need to setup camp somewhere nice and grind for a bit?

It's tough until you get your wagon because you have a limited amount of carcasses you can bring back. Get a second horse (steal or tame one), ride it around while whistling for your own horse. Two large carcasses (one on each horse), two medium carcasses onto your saddle, and lasso a third big carcass to drag back with you to camp. You definitely want to set up camp somewhere and just hunt in a specific area until you're comfortable with your materials number. I'd recommend Little Creek River in north West Elizabeth by Hanging Dog Ranch or down in the Great Plains near Blackwater. Some folks will also set up in New Hanover, out in the Heartlands, but these are the two areas where I get hunting done the fastest. Always do resupply missions, don't just buy the resupply; you'll get a number of materials (ranging from 5-20) when you complete a resupply mission.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Doing the missions also rewards you with lots of role xp, which gets you closer to the hunting wagon faster.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
and then eventually you'll unlock the trade route free roam events and those also give you a ton of materials and all you do is sit on a train with a bunch of people shooting bad guys

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

As animal spawns tend to break whenever the server count rises above 16, the trader role isn't functioning as intended most of the time.

You can do the stranger mission/resupply/bounty dance and hope you roll a black screen (which empties out your current lobby until the mission is over), and this will restore animal spawns to maximum level, but then the map helpfully hides the location of the camp from you and in general it's just a lot of unnecessary hoop-jumping that shouldn't be there.

The most powerful trading strategy right now is just go and do other roles until they get around to patching it.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I want to love trading but having my camp never spawn makes it awfully hard.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
I join a poker table and then immediately leave and call for my camp again if it's loving up. it's the shortest wait time and it works after maybe two or three times.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I’m hoping they let pc players preload the game before release. Not so much cause I’m keen to play it but because it’s going to take a while to download on Australia’s version of world class internet.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Thanks everyone

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Super Foul Egg posted:

As animal spawns tend to break whenever the server count rises above 16, the trader role isn't functioning as intended most of the time.

You can do the stranger mission/resupply/bounty dance and hope you roll a black screen (which empties out your current lobby until the mission is over), and this will restore animal spawns to maximum level, but then the map helpfully hides the location of the camp from you and in general it's just a lot of unnecessary hoop-jumping that shouldn't be there.

The most powerful trading strategy right now is just go and do other roles until they get around to patching it.

It’s so frustrating to do one of those missions and have to ride past endless herds of deer, bounding across your path a dozen at a time, unable to bag them, and then get back to free roam and be unable to find anything bigger than a coyote

The game as it’s apparently supposed to be looks great, I wish I could play it

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

I’m hoping they let pc players preload the game before release. Not so much cause I’m keen to play it but because it’s going to take a while to download on Australia’s version of world class internet.

In'net bad, in'nit?

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

In'net bad, in'nit?

It is when it’s the fibre to the node variety yes. Seems to cope ok with online games though.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The legendary this week is great. The drugs. The gators. The bounty's rambling when you take him back to jail. Anyone done the higher difficulties? What changes?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I have a question. One thing I liked best about rdr1 online on a lazy evening was just logging on solo, heading to this one cabin where like 15 cougars attacked you, and you got xp for clearing them. You could just climb on the roof and plink them off, then walk away and repeat. Super chill target shooting that paid off pretty decently. Is there anything equivalent or similar in rdr2 online? The mention of just riding a train around the game world shooting bad guys was interesting because I enjoy that in gta, but it doesnt get you anything.

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt
For those working on trader XP, one method I saw which I did a couple times, was just to do a delivery as soon as you finish another. That is, you get a decent chunk of XP for completing any delivery. So select a local delivery with a few good, deliberately break the wagon, put a sack on your horse and run over to sell it fast. By the time you come back he'll have a few more goods, and youc an repeat. It's terrible money for the time, but it gets you XP pretty quick.

Also, for everyone who was concerned, I did reach 70 on the outlaw pass, even playing just an hour or two 3-4 times a week.

I also got the metal detector, which definitely makes "passive" collecting more viable. Obviously using the map to complete the sets you need is faster. I need to do that since I spent so much money on trader/collector gear and the camp. I'm also excited because I finally got 58 and can get my Missouri Foxtrotter finally. Just have to decide on the variant. And I need money for my horse lantern, so I got to raise about $1k pretty quick.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

ICMB posted:

I also got the metal detector, which definitely makes "passive" collecting more viable. Obviously using the map to complete the sets you need is faster. I need to do that since I spent so much money on trader/collector gear and the camp. I'm also excited because I finally got 58 and can get my Missouri Foxtrotter finally. Just have to decide on the variant. And I need money for my horse lantern, so I got to raise about $1k pretty quick.

I make about $1k a week from selling everything i find just with the metal detector without usin the cheat map. Its such an improvment over GTA but I also dont have anything to spend the money on now

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Clavavisage posted:

I make about $1k a week from selling everything i find just with the metal detector without usin the cheat map. Its such an improvment over GTA but I also dont have anything to spend the money on now

You could buy the same expensive coat you’re wearing, in a different color

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

davebo posted:

I have a question. One thing I liked best about rdr1 online on a lazy evening was just logging on solo, heading to this one cabin where like 15 cougars attacked you, and you got xp for clearing them. You could just climb on the roof and plink them off, then walk away and repeat.

People are gonna say go to saint denis and shoot cops.

But i'm going to say, mockingly, "I don't like playing football, i just like running laps while carrying the ball"

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

People are gonna say go to saint denis and shoot cops.

But i'm going to say, mockingly, "I don't like playing football, i just like running laps while carrying the ball"

Yes except in this scenario pretend I play basketball for a living, then I come to the football stadium to enjoy the players' hot tub to relax, and only ever play football when my fellow basketball players join me, except we suck at it because football lacks a flying horse that shoots missiles at the other team. It's not like you all make grinding out pelt-collection sound like a ton of fun.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

You could buy the same expensive coat you’re wearing, in a different color

Money is so trivially easy to get that you can buy pretty much anything.

I expect prices will go up.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I never thought I'd be interested in a Let's Play but, try as I might, I can't find myself taking the plunge and dedicating the time needed to explore this game and have actually found myself, for the first time, watching others play it. Reading countless reviews, this thread and a lot of the "things dragging this game down" thread have convinced me it's almost certainly not for me but I'm fascinated by its success and how much a western of all things just crushed every existing sales figure, not just for games, but for entertainment in general.

Maybe I'm mistaken and missing out. I recall resisting MGS games forever because of the endless cut scenes and incessant radio chat but found myself enjoying the ones I finally played. But the idea of making coffee, brushing my horsie or shaving, complete with having to sit through tedious animations when I do or setting off a wanted meter for bumping into someone accidentally does not sound fun to me. Nor does a shooter where, from what I've read, is shooting is rendered secondary due to auto aim and you are forced to painstakingly craft individual bullets. I've never enjoyed the gun play in Rockstar games to begin with (nor the controls) going all the way back to GTA3.

Could just be I'm older with a kid now and don't have the extra time anymore to put into these open world games like I used to but none of that stopped me from playing the Arkham games or Evil Within 2 so I dunno. I burnt out on Witcher 3 pretty quick too because of the item management, menus and over use of the mini map so I think it comes down to game play style and what I feel like focusing on more than the quality of the game itself which, in this case, seems hard to argue with given its popularity.

If I had to stay in the hospital or in bed for 2 weeks and only had a PS4 to gently caress around with, I'd probably love it but, sadly, I'm not laid up sick and immobile.

Anyway, I found this that's a one year retrospective

https://kotaku.com/red-dead-redemption-2-one-year-later-1839333445

And hadn't seen it posted.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

BiggerBoat posted:

I never thought I'd be interested in a Let's Play but, try as I might, I can't find myself taking the plunge and dedicating the time needed to explore this game and have actually found myself, for the first time, watching others play it.

While you can do all that stuff and spend days fishing, hunting and doing cowboy stuff you can also just do main quests, it’s still a very good game. The aim assist can be disable and on PC you don’t even need it.

Stuff like taking showers, cleaning horse, guns etc is something you can do once every few hours, it’s not a maintenance heavy game like those “realistic” survival games. It’s more of a ... immersion thing, you can just do it when you want it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ZZZorcerer posted:

While you can do all that stuff and spend days fishing, hunting and doing cowboy stuff you can also just do main quests, it’s still a very good game. The aim assist can be disable and on PC you don’t even need it.

Stuff like taking showers, cleaning horse, guns etc is something you can do once every few hours, it’s not a maintenance heavy game like those “realistic” survival games. It’s more of a ... immersion thing, you can just do it when you want it.

Yeah I don't think it's quite as bad as you expect it to be--you also do not under any circumstances have to craft your bullets. You can do that, and they're slightly better than the default bullets, but the game isn't so hard that they're necessary (and also you can buy even better bullets from shops).

That said, if rockstar gunplay turns you off, that could be a bit of an issue; but maybe the PC version will be a better experience.

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

I never thought I'd be interested in a Let's Play but, try as I might, I can't find myself taking the plunge and dedicating the time needed to explore this game and have actually found myself, for the first time, watching others play it. Reading countless reviews, this thread and a lot of the "things dragging this game down" thread have convinced me it's almost certainly not for me but I'm fascinated by its success and how much a western of all things just crushed every existing sales figure, not just for games, but for entertainment in general.

Maybe I'm mistaken and missing out. I recall resisting MGS games forever because of the endless cut scenes and incessant radio chat but found myself enjoying the ones I finally played. But the idea of making coffee, brushing my horsie or shaving, complete with having to sit through tedious animations when I do or setting off a wanted meter for bumping into someone accidentally does not sound fun to me. Nor does a shooter where, from what I've read, is shooting is rendered secondary due to auto aim and you are forced to painstakingly craft individual bullets. I've never enjoyed the gun play in Rockstar games to begin with (nor the controls) going all the way back to GTA3.

Could just be I'm older with a kid now and don't have the extra time anymore to put into these open world games like I used to but none of that stopped me from playing the Arkham games or Evil Within 2 so I dunno. I burnt out on Witcher 3 pretty quick too because of the item management, menus and over use of the mini map so I think it comes down to game play style and what I feel like focusing on more than the quality of the game itself which, in this case, seems hard to argue with given its popularity.

If I had to stay in the hospital or in bed for 2 weeks and only had a PS4 to gently caress around with, I'd probably love it but, sadly, I'm not laid up sick and immobile.

Anyway, I found this that's a one year retrospective

https://kotaku.com/red-dead-redemption-2-one-year-later-1839333445

And hadn't seen it posted.

Buddy, a lot of us are just like you. Don’t sleep on this game though and watch someone else play through it. You won’t be disappointed when you play this game for yourself. Do a mission a night. Or just hunt and fish or rob or what ever. This game is worth it.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Red Dead has effectively ruined most other games on my console. That how next level immersive and beautiful it is.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
stay in chapter 2 where everything's fun forever and nothing is a bummer

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
It took me a year to beat but it's the most impressive video game I've ever played.

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

Squirrel Burger posted:

stay in chapter 2 where everything's fun forever and nothing is a bummer

This is good sound advice. I did a lot of challenges in chapter 2 because I didn’t feel rushed at all.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I don't know how to solve this but I wish there was some way for gunfights between players in freeroam to end in some more satisfying way than "someone got/mad/bored and left the server."

I came across a posse of players causing havoc in St Denis and started picking them off. 3v1 and I died a lot but made them mad enough that they started chasing my respawns across the map. It was really fun! I felt like I was outplaying them (they probably felt the same about me). But there was no way to have it have a conclusive ending. Because you respawn so close to where you died, there's no way to get the upper hand. So we just fought and fought until I had to log off for the night.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think that there should be some circumstance in which the defeated player gets banished to some other edge of the map. Selfishly, I think it should happen when an aggressive player starts a fight with no provocation; if the defender manages to kill the attacker, they should have the option of making them spawn in the rear end end of grizzlies with summer clothes or something. If the main stakes of free roam PVP are “being annoying” then there should be some risk of the attacker being annoyed too

I don’t have the specifics of how this mechanic would work, do not ask me

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

doingitwrong posted:

I don't know how to solve this but I wish there was some way for gunfights between players in freeroam to end in some more satisfying way than "someone got/mad/bored and left the server."

I came across a posse of players causing havoc in St Denis and started picking them off. 3v1 and I died a lot but made them mad enough that they started chasing my respawns across the map. It was really fun! I felt like I was outplaying them (they probably felt the same about me). But there was no way to have it have a conclusive ending. Because you respawn so close to where you died, there's no way to get the upper hand. So we just fought and fought until I had to log off for the night.

The only solution I've found to this so far is get a few consecutive kills and then pull an easily visible from a distance emote at them (something with hands up ideally) while slowly walking forwards. They'll inevitably blast you in anger and then you can parley safe in the knowledge that they are left mad and unable to claim that the last kill was a turnaround.

Only downside is it can sometimes be hard to judge whether they had time to see you at all if they're a 360 noscope type of dude.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

BiggerBoat posted:

Could just be I'm older with a kid now and don't have the extra time anymore to put into these open world games like I used to

Definitely don't pass up on anything important in life just to play this game. It's a great game but the story is way longer than it needs to be and if all you want to know is "what happens" you can watch that online. Play the parts of this game that you actually enjoy, and like others have said just pick a point in chapters 2-4 and stop doing story missions. Mess around, explore, do side stuff. Game is pretty and nice to be in.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
the story of RDR2 is that dutch is full of poo poo and it's your job to preserve the peace and health of the gang by not doing anything he says after chapter 1. doing so gets you the "bad ending" which is 25-30 hours long, some of it happens in cuba for some reason

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The cores system makes so much of the game just feel like tedious filler between me and cowboy shenanigans. I want my deadeye to recharge during a mission, I don’t want to go to use it and realize I haven’t had a cup of coffee in the last 30 minutes so my meter is empty.

My health bar doesn’t need its own health bar.

When the game gets out of its own way its pretty fun though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

They deplete very slowly and it takes quite a while for them to get low enough to make a real difference (unless you’re getting shot to death); plus cooked animal meat restores all of them to nearly full, so all you have to do is remember to chomp down a sausage once an hour or so