Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!
crossposting from the LLJK crew thread:

coupedeville posted:

So here is an official post from me as a new Commissioner of the crew. I have taken the executive action of clearing 6 players from the LLJK ranks. I tried to look at all possible sources of information to confirm (to the best of my abilities) that they are inactive. Here are the players who have been kicked.

PenExpers
SA_Fenom
drkarmicknight
roymorrison3505
MrTomnus89
Qres80

If you are one of these goons and are still active and don't appreciate being culled from the crew then all you have to do is post and I will address your concerns. If you play with these goons and they are still active then inform them of this post and we can take care of this matter. I will also be cross-posting this in the GTA thread and also in the Red Dead 2 thread to cast a wide net as some of us are also now playing the new rootin' tootin' cowboy shooter and may not be active in GTA anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Toaster Beef posted:

I'm on a 970 and it handles things pretty drat well. Make sure you're using those optimized settings that've been floating around.

Cannot reiterate this strongly enough. I'm on an i5 4670k and 970GTX and using those settings it runs great for me. 44fps average.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

SERPUS posted:

I'm on PC and every time I go online to play, I get disconnected after a minute or so. Not a crash, but a disconnect.

What's the disconnect error you get?

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Toaster Beef posted:

I'm on a 970 and it handles things pretty drat well. Make sure you're using those optimized settings that've been floating around.

Hexenritter posted:

Cannot reiterate this strongly enough. I'm on an i5 4670k and 970GTX and using those settings it runs great for me. 44fps average.

cheers goonies - will probably treat myself for crimbo

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Hakarne posted:

Honestly I wouldn't worry about ending up dishonorable - it seems like you have to actually try to not be max honorable. Just feeding, brushing, and petting your horse is enough keep it positive. When I'm doing collecting I usually play a bandit and kill/rob every NPC I meet on the trail and murder every witness that comes along. Even doing that, like 3/4 positive honor is the lowest I ever got.

Yeah you can more or less go on a mass murder spree and then pet your horse or save one stranger to be back at max honor

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

pmchem posted:

What's the cheapest way to refill your dead eye ring (not core) in RDR Online? It seems like my dead eye is perpetually empty whenever I log in. I am new and only really know of chewing tobacco to refill it, which seems like it should not be the cheapest option for regular use.

Theres a perk that raises your Dead Eye slowly over time. It is incredible.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Theres a perk that raises your Dead Eye slowly over time. It is incredible.

Neat, what's it called / when can you get it?

edit: also, another question -- does it matter if you die during a bounty mission (frontier role quest) in RDR online?

reduced payout or any penalty for dying? (online only)

pmchem fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 2, 2019

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

pmchem posted:

Neat, what's it called / when can you get it?

edit: also, another question -- does it matter if you die during a bounty mission (frontier role quest) in RDR online?

reduced payout or any penalty for dying? (online only)

On one star difficulty you get two lives. That goes down on subesequent runs, eventually you'll need to do them without dying. If you run out of lives you can try again.

Edit: thats for legndaries. In regular bounties you can die over and over, no biggie.

Sleekly fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 2, 2019

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

pmchem posted:

RDR online

I was trying to sit down on a chair in a tavern and accidentally grabbed a lady by the throat instead, could not let her go -- dismiss threw her to the ground -- and a guy nearby beat me to death because I didn't want to fight back and gain dishonor/bounty.

um, ok. thanks default rockstar controls. wtf?

I had something similar in single player, I dropped off a bounty at the sheriff’s office and went back outside. Hit Y (controller) to mount up and instead Arthur turned around and strangled a nearby lawman :stare:

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Sleekly posted:

Edit: thats for legndaries. In regular bounties you can die over and over, no biggie.

great!

for bounty rewards, you get: xp, gold and dollars. If you bring the target in dead, are gold or xp reduced? I know dollars are reduced.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

pmchem posted:

great!

for bounty rewards, you get: xp, gold and dollars. If you bring the target in dead, are gold or xp reduced? I know dollars are reduced.

I'm not acutally sure for XP or gold but its a safe bet.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Dang, this game is smooth looking.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Just had a match where I was stabbing a player over and over again and they took no damage. I don't know why I continue to bother with the competitive mode for RDO on PC. It's completely broken due to cheating. And of course with no way in-game to report this, these players can just go on with cheating with complete immunity.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 2, 2019

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

webmeister posted:

I had something similar in single player, I dropped off a bounty at the sheriff’s office and went back outside. Hit Y (controller) to mount up and instead Arthur turned around and strangled a nearby lawman :stare:

I got a pamphlet in Saint Denis and turned round to sit on a bench and read it. It turns out benches are the only seats you can’t sit on in the game (?!) and so instead Arthur grabbed the other guy sitting there and slammed him into the ground. I got shot to death by the law, went into a saloon to eat and recover, walked out and tried to kneel, but oops, that’s that Y button again so I choked someone AGAIN. I just wanted to read my pamphlet in peace!

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

I said come in! posted:

Just had a match where I was stabbing a player over and over again and they took no damage. I don't know why I continue to bother with the competitive mode for RDO on PC. It's completely broken due to cheating. And of course with no way in-game to report this, these players can just go on with cheating with complete immunity.

You can report them in-game, though? Just go into the player menu, then player list, find the player in question and click on their name. One of the options will be 'Report Player', and one of the reasons is cheating.

Also, after checking to find further confirmation that you can end up being banned for reporting a cheater, seems like the reddit post in question has been updated to reflect that he got banned for naming-and-shaming said cheater on his Twitch, which is apparently an EULA violation.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Scherloch posted:

You can report them in-game, though? Just go into the player menu, then player list, find the player in question and click on their name. One of the options will be 'Report Player', and one of the reasons is cheating.

Also, after checking to find further confirmation that you can end up being banned for reporting a cheater, seems like the reddit post in question has been updated to reflect that he got banned for naming-and-shaming said cheater on his Twitch, which is apparently an EULA violation.

Hey don't be showing that our game has cheaters! BANNED.

Also - the fact that bonuty payout is based on how long it takes to complete - meaning the longer you take - the more you get paid - is the most broken and most idiotic mechanic I have ever encountered in a game.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I'm sure this has been asked a million times before but I didn't see it mentioned recently. I just started chapter 4 and wanted to know if there was any side content that was permanently missable, just so I can drill that out before I go any further.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

CascadeBeta posted:

I'm sure this has been asked a million times before but I didn't see it mentioned recently. I just started chapter 4 and wanted to know if there was any side content that was permanently missable, just so I can drill that out before I go any further.

I know, Reddit, but this is what I'm going by: https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadredemption/comments/9u7bku/spolierfree_mission_list_including_missable/

TL;DR there is some missable content, but it's nothing of real consequence: 1 stranger mission, 1 Mary mission, and some camp side activities. Also it will start being pretty clear when you're about to finish Chapter 4 (I'm not there yet and I've been wondering "is this the last mission" for 2 missions now), so you'll have a fair bit of time to complete whatever you have left if you wish.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Possibly an odd question, but a similar discussion in the Assassin's Creed Odyssey thread led me to some great reading, so I figured I'd try: Are there any particularly solid (nonfiction) historical novels about this particular time/subject? I guess it'd be considered "the death of the wild west" or something along those lines. Whatever that may mean.

For example, the ACO thread led me to The Peloponnesian War, by Donald Kagan, which was a fantastic (albeit kinda dry) history/retelling of the conflict that hangs over ACO. Obviously it's different with RDR2, because RDR2 involves fictional characters in a fictional setting—but I'd love to learn more about this transitional period between buck wild bullshit and actual civilization in the western United States.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

TorakFade posted:

I know, Reddit, but this is what I'm going by: https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadredemption/comments/9u7bku/spolierfree_mission_list_including_missable/

TL;DR there is some missable content, but it's nothing of real consequence: 1 stranger mission, 1 Mary mission, and some camp side activities. Also it will start being pretty clear when you're about to finish Chapter 4 (I'm not there yet and I've been wondering "is this the last mission" for 2 missions now), so you'll have a fair bit of time to complete whatever you have left if you wish.

The Mary Linton mission should be hard to miss assuming you return to camp every so often, at some point when you return to camp there will be a flashing icon for another letter lying near your bed. It's a few missions into Chapter 4 but definitely not towards any noticeable endgame, and at that point in the chapter it's not out of your way at all to have to go "find".

Toaster Beef posted:

Possibly an odd question, but a similar discussion in the Assassin's Creed Odyssey thread led me to some great reading, so I figured I'd try: Are there any particularly solid (nonfiction) historical novels about this particular time/subject? I guess it'd be considered "the death of the wild west" or something along those lines. Whatever that may mean.

For example, the ACO thread led me to The Peloponnesian War, by Donald Kagan, which was a fantastic (albeit kinda dry) history/retelling of the conflict that hangs over ACO. Obviously it's different with RDR2, because RDR2 involves fictional characters in a fictional setting—but I'd love to learn more about this transitional period between buck wild bullshit and actual civilization in the western United States.

I haven't personally read it but I always see Bury my heart at wounded knee pop up in related conversations.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

How does the buck trinket work?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I have toggle to aim. If I right click and I aim down the sights sometimes my guy will just randomly un-sight even though I am not touching anything. Anyone else?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Hexenritter posted:

What settings are those? I'm googling around but it's a pretty vague thing to go off of.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Deakul posted:

What settings are those? I'm googling around but it's a pretty vague thing to go off of.

SplitSoul posted:

Saw four red dots in a town I was entering. Nodded politely to one of them, then they shot me and rode on. They were all kitted out with bare chests, skin pants and long hair. Killer was called Nightwolf-something.

Use this as a base. You can probably bump up some of the settings significantly.

Im guessing.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Saul Kain posted:

How does the buck trinket work?
Automagically. If you see a two star animal or a two star corpse, kill or skin it and it may produce a perfect pelt.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Cage posted:

Im guessing.

Yep, that'd be the ones I meant.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Cage posted:

Im guessing.

Good poo poo, managed to squeeze another 10 fps out of the game by just lowering the lighting to medium.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I got to the first uhhh epilogue chapter and I still can’t believe the game ended like it did. there was some shaky writing in the middle and the villains kinda sucked but Dutch made up for everything

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Toaster Beef posted:

In terms of historical novels about professional highwaymen / banditry, that would be Blood Meridian, toward which RDR2 winks a few times.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Basic Chunnel posted:

In terms of historical novels about professional highwaymen, that would be Blood Meridian, toward which RDR2 winks a few times.

I saw someone reading that on the train recently and I wonder if red dead 2 has renewed interest in it (that’s why I was reading it anyway)

It’s not nonfiction (though it’s based on some real people) and it takes place in a different time period, but you should read it anyway because it’s a very good book

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Toaster Beef posted:

I know you're asking for something to read, but one of my favourite films touches on the same themes (and dress sense) of this; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford; both are meloncholic stories about questionable, deluded leaders and those that follow them. Both are also beautiful to look at.

Basic Chunnel posted:

In terms of historical novels about professional highwaymen / banditry, that would be Blood Meridian, toward which RDR2 winks a few times.

Also excellent.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

I know you're asking for something to read, but one of my favourite films touches on the same themes (and dress sense) of this; The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford; both are meloncholic stories about questionable, deluded leaders and those that follow them. Both are also beautiful to look at.

The night train robbery in RDR2 is a straight homage to the movie.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Deakul posted:

Good poo poo, managed to squeeze another 10 fps out of the game by just lowering the lighting to medium.

There's 2 videos related to those settings that go over them with comparisons and where you can compromise the most for some gains without losing too much fidelity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=385eG1IEZMU . If you want to, there's probably one or two more big wins you can make without sacrifing much visually.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Fishstick posted:

There's 2 videos related to those settings that go over them with comparisons and where you can compromise the most for some gains without losing too much fidelity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=385eG1IEZMU . If you want to, there's probably one or two more big wins you can make without sacrifing much visually.

man that's 22 minutes of youtube

is there a tl;dr version that just puts the results in a static table on a single web page?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

TorakFade posted:

Also, if you go to the Rockstar Social Club online, the story compendium there is more fleshed-out than in game: https://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/rdr2/story

Makes it super clear how many story missions you have left without giving away any spoilers.

fuckpot posted:

Automagically. If you see a two star animal or a two star corpse, kill or skin it and it may produce a perfect pelt.

Is this definitely the case? I was under the impression that the trinket just removed the head/heart shot requirement for a perfect kill. As long as your target dies in one hit to the appropriate weapon it'll always be a perfect pelt, whereas without the trinket you have to one-shot the heart or head.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

pmchem posted:

is there a tl;dr version that just puts the results in a static table on a single web page?

Just skim and skip like the rest of us

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

pmchem posted:

SplitSoul posted:

Use this as a base. You can probably bump up some of the settings significantly.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Toaster Beef posted:

I would start with "Riders of the Purple Sage" and "Blood Meridian". An old classic and a modern classic.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

webmeister posted:

Is this definitely the case? I was under the impression that the trinket just removed the head/heart shot requirement for a perfect kill. As long as your target dies in one hit to the appropriate weapon it'll always be a perfect pelt, whereas without the trinket you have to one-shot the heart or head.

The trinket has a random chance to upgrade the quality of the item you get from a carcass. So if you messed up killing a 3-star animal and turned it into a 2-star corpse, there would still be a chance to harvest a perfect pelt anyway. Same if the animal started at 2-stars and you killed it correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
history books are fun and all but really you should just watch deadwood