Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Fun Times! posted:

You're telling me that after the single player game there's an online part with like character classes and roleplaying? What the hell

haha thats the good part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

How long does it take for a collectible to respawn after you loot it?

Daily at... 6:00PM PST? Something like that. The collectors map has a clock for reset on it.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

twistedmentat posted:

I found out why i couldn't sell the full buck that i had, it was on the next page. And how do i take off large skins from my horses rear end? It's not showing up in the horses inventory nor is it able to be interacted with.

Do i have to find a jeweler or something to sell the gold pocketwatches and rings I have?

Take things like that to a fence, and large skins can be sold to a butcher or the trapper.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
So is there no "tip your hat" emoji to purchase or am I just missing it? This seems like an oversight.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

PaybackJack posted:

So is there no "tip your hat" emoji to purchase or am I just missing it? This seems like an oversight.

It's an unlock in the Trader role, costs $200 and is totally worth it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

SplitSoul posted:

It's an unlock in the Trader role, costs $200 and is totally worth it.

Dang, gonna take me a while to get the gold to unlock that.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

PaybackJack posted:

Dang, gonna take me a while to get the gold to unlock that.

It's supposed to be on sale for 10 gold, don't know how long that lasts. Do dailies and find somebody you can tag along with on bounties. PvP also gives a bit of gold if you do well.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

pvp is real drat fun with a posse all on comms, we were talking about starting it up in the discord

edit: as for earning gold, make sure you keep your daily streak up! even getting the first multiplier at 7 days is a huge help, it bumps you up to .3 gold per daily, which if you do all 7 and a couple of bounties (join goons, the only thing you miss out on without having the license is the extra Bounty Hunter XP) or pvp matches can easily net you 4 gold a day.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 26, 2019

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
My tip for gold usage is to try not to spend it on cosmetics unless you have to. I find that it's way easier to earn the cash required than to earn more gold. I've used my gold almost exclusively on role unlocks and outlaw passes. I've unlocked all of them at this point and still have 65 gold in reserve. I've also never completed a full week of dailies.

Though I don't go crazy with the wardrobe options so this may not be applicable to all cowpokes.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

PaybackJack posted:

How long does it take for a collectible to respawn after you loot it?

Dang I gotta get some more rank so I can get the metal detector.

I had a funny situation where I was heading to a place in the desert and saw another guy ahead of me. I assumed he knew where the item was and ran into a house so I followed him in and took a double barreled shotgun blast to the face. Guess he thought I was going to try and kill him as it turned out the collectible was outside on a wagon.

Probably the only time I've felt like getting randomly killed by another player was justified.

It's such a shame the servers are such a fickle beast because this game is so much more fun as a game online where there's an actual progression.

I got my head blown off once when I was riding too close to someone’s trader wagon shipment. I honestly wasn’t there to cause trouble, my route just happened to cross theirs, but hey, I get it

Pretty sure they one-shotted me in defensive mode too, so fair play

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

twistedmentat posted:

I found out why i couldn't sell the full buck that i had, it was on the next page. And how do i take off large skins from my horses rear end? It's not showing up in the horses inventory nor is it able to be interacted with.

Do i have to find a jeweler or something to sell the gold pocketwatches and rings I have?

As CapnBeeb said, to the Fence you go. Minor spoiler: only sell stuff you have multiples of, and save at least one of any valuable item - some can be used for crafting talismans and trinkets (buff items), and some can be given to other folks for various reasons.

Animal skins on the horse come up in a different inventory window at the butcher/trapper/Pearson - it's mixed in with all the meat and carcasses, and buying an improved saddlebag (Stables have to be unlocked) will allow you to carry more *skins*. You're still stuck with one big items (large-animal hide or medium/large carcass on horsebutt and two "saddlebag" carcasses. (Anything that won't fit in your satchel, but doesn't flop over your shoulder, can be hung off the saddle in front of you stirrups on either side.)(Remember to recover all external cargo after horse crashes.)

Final moose has been eliminated - Barrow Lagoon, Potent Herbivore Bait x3, Rolling Block with Express ammo. Four save reloads. poo poo like eight elk/deer/bighorns and a couple horses in one cluster, probably scared off the target.

Chapter Six is really loving depressing. Strauss collections, fallout from previous loansharkery, fallout from the last bank job... still have Dutch's mine mission and *finally* the Legendary Bullgator at some point. Met the Veteran and his rear end in a top hat horse, so there's that. :3

Pissed away more than eight grand buying out catalogs. Full sets of all the clothing wasn't the killer, it was full sets of all the horse clothes. But, now I have stirrups... been running a Trapper saddle since forever, if I'd bought the right stock saddle and stirrups I could have aced some of those horse-speedrun challenges much easier.

Managed to lose the riverboat gambler fancy suit because I removed it from the horse - it's actually only stored there, and if you pull it, it's gone forever. Kinda wanted to wear it with the pig mask.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
No more snow :/

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

PlisskensEyePatch posted:

If this game is anything like GTA:O regarding snow(which also has xmas snow) it could come back for a few days at new years.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

PlisskensEyePatch posted:

Good, I was getting tired of not being able to see poo poo in Eagle Eye and being overweight because I had to counteract the freezing temps with food.

No, I'm not going to make a warm outfit.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Fentry posted:

The cycle stuff is mainly from before the most recent patch and doesn't really matter, the map should show you everything that is currently up. The collectibles respawn and change location every day at 7 PM EST

Yeah, cycles swapped from 3 cycles for all drops to each type of drop (Coins/Flowers/Eggs etc) having at least 6 cycles that rotate independently from each other.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

PaybackJack posted:

I guess I screwed myself out of selling them as sets though, how much more do you get when you can sell these things as a complete set?

It's not a big deal. As said, it's roughly around 5K or so once you have all the Collector upgrades (shovel and metal detector). I hold onto two of every collectible and sell the rest whenever I run into Nazar. You can hit the limit on some of those collectibles pretty quickly (goose and loon eggs for instance). They still sell for a good amount individually.

In anticipation of folks getting the game for the holidays, I decided to put together a starter guide on the PC Discord. It is full of many words but it's a collection of questions that get asked a lot, tips I wish I knew when I started, and suggestions to get a head start in multiplayer. Here's a brand new invite link for the PC Discord where a few of us are planning to do newbie only trader runs so you can get a fat sum of cash. https://discord.gg/gvtTTnw

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I've noticed online that carcasses don't seem to degrade? Is that true or am I just not noticing?

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I've noticed online that carcasses don't seem to degrade? Is that true or am I just not noticing?

I don't believe they do.

deadseedinside
Jul 6, 2018

Possibly a confused chimpanzee. Approach with caution and snacks.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

i've never had anything degrade or start to rot in online. I've had 3 animals stapled to my horse for multiple in-game days without having them go down in quality or anything detrimental.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

If you have the lovely hunting wagon you can also store carcasses between sessions. I usually summon the wagon, load it up with carcasses then dismiss it and resummon my horse to ride back to camp. Assuming any animals actually spawned in your session.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

spaced ninja posted:

If you have the lovely hunting wagon you can also store carcasses between sessions. I usually summon the wagon, load it up with carcasses then dismiss it and resummon my horse to ride back to camp. Assuming any animals actually spawned in your session.

This is absolutely the best way to use the wagon. As a carcass bank. Summon it when you have a couple of decent ones to save for later, store and dismiss.

Apparently riding in your hunting wagon makes animals even less likely to spawn in near you.

If you are having animal spawn issues, load up a legendary bounty, get five 3 star carcasses saved in your hunting wagon then back out to your camp. Rinse and repeat.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

deadseedinside posted:

I've had 3 animals stapled to my horse for multiple in-game days without having them go down in quality or anything detrimental.

What sort of black magic did you employ to avoid getting disconnected within that time?

deadseedinside
Jul 6, 2018

Possibly a confused chimpanzee. Approach with caution and snacks.

SplitSoul posted:

What sort of black magic did you employ to avoid getting disconnected within that time?

i don't seem to get the majority of plague problems everyone rags about.

I literally run over animals going between any two points; like an endless supplies of critters, herds of deer/elk; never more than like 20 seconds without seeing something.

Disconnects happen, but ime it's only like once or twice out of 3-4 days of playing. Reconnect and then it's good to go again.

Not saying that it's not happening to others, but grateful that i seem to slip through the cracks for most of that BS.

Orv
May 4, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

I'm more likely to have to change sessions because of a cheater blowing me up repeatedly than a random disconnect the last couple weeks or so, but that is fairly anecdotal.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I notice when I start a bounty or bootlegger mission that I see dozens of animals all around me. If I’m not in a mission of sorts it’s a barren wasteland.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Nash posted:

I notice when I start a bounty or bootlegger mission that I see dozens of animals all around me. If I’m not in a mission of sorts it’s a barren wasteland.

Same. They definitely show up more often in those circumstances for me too.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Take note that PC players don't have the animal spawn problems nearly as often as console players do. I am rarely in a session that doesn't have animals and a long list of players in it.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Xbone for what it’s worth for me.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

PS4. The connection issues seem to have beej introduced with the moonshining patch. The animal one has been longer lasting. At least the camp one is (mostly) gone.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Sleekly posted:

At least the camp one is (mostly) gone.

Which one? The camp never gets done pitching, the icon shows up without the camp present, or the camp spawns on top of another player's?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Capn Beeb posted:

Take things like that to a fence, and large skins can be sold to a butcher or the trapper.

Is there a Fence in Valentine or do i have to go somewhere larger?

And yea, i realized i could have 2 small animals and one 1 big one when i had 2 turkeys and a deer on my horse.

I'm a little sick of dying because my head shots only take off an enemies hats.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 27, 2019

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

twistedmentat posted:

The closest fence to Valentine is in Emerald Ranch.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

Which one? The camp never gets done pitching, the icon shows up without the camp present, or the camp spawns on top of another player's?

I can use the main menu to spawn into camp pretty reliably. I haven't actually tried moving it (Gaptooth Ridge ftw). One time Cripps packed it up for no reason but I was able to get it back no problems.

Since the snow I've not used it a lot though, could just be getting lucky.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

twistedmentat posted:

And yea, i realized i could have 2 small animals and one 1 big one when i had 2 turkeys and a deer on my horse.

I'm a little sick of dying because my head shots only take off an enemies hats.

Fences are: Valentine Ranch, Rhodes Trailer Park, St Denis Market (near the Trapper) and out on a pier at Van Horn. Dunno about south of the Montana, haven't gotten much of anything done there that wasn't "getting shot at by a fuckload of laws/bounty killers".

If you're hatshotting, just drop your aim a smidge. Unless it's some autoaim thing. I can reliably hatshot either in realtime or Deadeye, myself, mostly with handguns at medium-to-short range.

Still can't get three disarms going in one magdump, however.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm hat shotting when aiming at the forehead of enemies so it might be an autoaim thing. I'll have to turn it off next time I play.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
If it still works, you can shoot the hat off the head even after death. Hat's just gotta be on the head.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Transmogrifier posted:

Take note that PC players don't have the animal spawn problems nearly as often as console players do. I am rarely in a session that doesn't have animals and a long list of players in it.

I've never noticed a shortage of animals on PC except when a daily objective requires me to hunt a specific one.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Sleekly posted:

I can use the main menu to spawn into camp pretty reliably. I haven't actually tried moving it (Gaptooth Ridge ftw).

I used it a bunch at first, but now it reliably gives me endless loading screens.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Apparently animals aren’t spawning when the server you’re in has 14+ people in it (PS4)

no animals no play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

SplitSoul posted:

I used it a bunch at first, but now it reliably gives me endless loading screens.

same today. if I'm stubborn it'll work eventually but also if I'm stubborn i can do that new gta heist