Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I finally hit "Top Rated" seller status, which will hugely improve my sales in high priced, rare, and antique items. People typically only like to purchase high dollar items from established people.

The downside -

I don't HAVE to, but for my Top Rated seal to appear I have to offer to pay shipping on returns (I've never had one) and offer a thirty day return period (Never had one.)

The upside -

Bigger shipping discount (10%), bigger discount on final value (sale) fee of 10%, and top billing. I'll report back in a month about how it's working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

As of Saturday my mother retired from the post office, she gave me two 50 gallon trash bags of gear she bought from the offical post office store. I am talking rain gear, snow gear, cardigans. Pants. All the stuff, is there is a market for this, she was telling me she bought her rain coat for around 200 bux. She wants me to sell it all for her.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Applesnots posted:

As of Saturday my mother retired from the post office, she gave me two 50 gallon trash bags of gear she bought from the offical post office store. I am talking rain gear, snow gear, cardigans. Pants. All the stuff, is there is a market for this, she was telling me she bought her rain coat for around 200 bux. She wants me to sell it all for her.

Dude, have you started a store yet? I was going to make an effort post about, "Creating Provenance", which is something all good dealers do when needed. It was mostly going to apply to IRs posts, but now I'll make a note to do it tomorrow as it could help you too. :)

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

No not yet, i had a ebay account back aroun '97 or so and it was linked to my yahoo email which is now toast. So i get to start over fresh.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Applesnots posted:

No not yet, i had a ebay account back aroun '97 or so and it was linked to my yahoo email which is now toast. So i get to start over fresh.

Might as well!

If you, or anyone, is just starting out you need to know this -

If you have less than ten ratings for transactions, which you get purchasing as well as selling, many people will hesitate to buy from you. For the first ten auctions, if you don't have the ratings from purchases, try to keep them under ten bucks. People don't run many ten dollar and under scams.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Captain Log posted:

Might as well!

If you, or anyone, is just starting out you need to know this -

If you have less than ten ratings for transactions, which you get purchasing as well as selling, many people will hesitate to buy from you. For the first ten auctions, if you don't have the ratings from purchases, try to keep them under ten bucks. People don't run many ten dollar and under scams.

Well drat. Guess I will toss up a few silver dollars a hair under spot price for a bit.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Provenance - That Words that Makes Random Items Worth Money

Most people who have ever collected anything are familiar with provenance. Simply put, it means, "Record of Ownership." Many Certificate of Authenticity type documents set out to establish provenance. But, there isn't an official place that cranks out those documents. Many people just print something up and sign it. This can also be a big red bullshit flag, but you'll find out why soon.

There are some organisations that do object grading, which would be the closest thing. The main company is PCGS - Professional Collectible/Coin Grading Services. There is also CAC, ANACS, etc. They do everything from rare coins to comic books, and also encase items in a little plastic sleeve. A good mark on a coin (MS-65 on a Morgan Dollar for example) can multiply the value multiple times over.

But, with many antiques and older items, the provenance can just be a series of stories. So and so sent it to so and so who bought it from whoever. Well, let me give you a good example of establishing provenance -

My grandmother, Ann Forsyth, had the premiere America located British antique shop in the country, if not the world outside of England. The shop was open from 1984 to 2000. Recently, I was tasked with selling the fine silverware collection she had. I got it valued at 10-15k. Two days later, I sold it for 15k to a friend of Ann's. Needless to say, the sale would not have happened without the information about where they came from.

It wasn't needed, but what if the person wanted me to give a document attesting to the items owner? Simple!

A. Print up a nice looking word template document. Think of the Smith and Wesson research letters.
B. Sign it.
C. Don't lie.
D. Notarise it (optional but effective)
E. Don't lie.

How could this apply to Applesnot's Mom's stuff? Or Infrareds Police equipment?

A. List the postal items, without the name of your mother, but with the name of the department, region, etc. Offer to send a CoA or Certificate of authenticity.
B. Infrared's Police Stuff - Same deal. List everything but the very particulars of how you purchased it. If able, list where they are from, the era, and offer to send a CoA.

99% of people WILL NOT want the document. But offering it gives an appearance of legitimacy that can move your stuff.

On the flip side, know that unless it's notarised, the person can just openly sell a lie. If it sounds too good to be true, it is. Even a notarisation doesn't really mean anything. It's just...I've never seen a liar go through that trouble.

So, make some documents if you think it's worth it. If you don't, that's cool too! But list all your particulars. If a holster is from 1979 and made by Big Ole' Dick's Tube Holders, list it. If it's from Idaho, list that. Do everything you can to paint a picture.

So, that's today's rambling. Have Pig-uin. :)

https://i.imgur.com/jIXaR95.mp4

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Captain Log posted:

Provenance - That Words that Makes Random Items Worth Money

Most people who have ever collected anything are familiar with provenance. Simply put, it means, "Record of Ownership." Many Certificate of Authenticity type documents set out to establish provenance. But, there isn't an official place that cranks out those documents. Many people just print something up and sign it. This can also be a big red bullshit flag, but you'll find out why soon.

There are some organisations that do object grading, which would be the closest thing. The main company is PCGS - Professional Collectible/Coin Grading Services. There is also CAC, ANACS, etc. They do everything from rare coins to comic books, and also encase items in a little plastic sleeve. A good mark on a coin (MS-65 on a Morgan Dollar for example) can multiply the value multiple times over.

But, with many antiques and older items, the provenance can just be a series of stories. So and so sent it to so and so who bought it from whoever. Well, let me give you a good example of establishing provenance -

My grandmother, Ann Forsyth, had the premiere America located British antique shop in the country, if not the world outside of England. The shop was open from 1984 to 2000. Recently, I was tasked with selling the fine silverware collection she had. I got it valued at 10-15k. Two days later, I sold it for 15k to a friend of Ann's. Needless to say, the sale would not have happened without the information about where they came from.

It wasn't needed, but what if the person wanted me to give a document attesting to the items owner? Simple!

A. Print up a nice looking word template document. Think of the Smith and Wesson research letters.
B. Sign it.
C. Don't lie.
D. Notarise it (optional but effective)
E. Don't lie.

How could this apply to Applesnot's Mom's stuff? Or Infrareds Police equipment?

A. List the postal items, without the name of your mother, but with the name of the department, region, etc. Offer to send a CoA or Certificate of authenticity.
B. Infrared's Police Stuff - Same deal. List everything but the very particulars of how you purchased it. If able, list where they are from, the era, and offer to send a CoA.

99% of people WILL NOT want the document. But offering it gives an appearance of legitimacy that can move your stuff.

On the flip side, know that unless it's notarised, the person can just openly sell a lie. If it sounds too good to be true, it is. Even a notarisation doesn't really mean anything. It's just...I've never seen a liar go through that trouble.

So, make some documents if you think it's worth it. If you don't, that's cool too! But list all your particulars. If a holster is from 1979 and made by Big Ole' Dick's Tube Holders, list it. If it's from Idaho, list that. Do everything you can to paint a picture.

So, that's today's rambling. Have Pig-uin. :)

Thanks for these posts, you are really helpful.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

You've inspired me to list the source (where known) on my auctions.

Thelonious
Jul 15, 2005

infrared35 posted:

Not to be too nosy, but you if wind up selling any of those A1 uppers you mentioned in the wheel gun thread, consider me an interested goon.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Applesnots posted:

Thanks for these posts, you are really helpful.

infrared35 posted:

I really appreciate it! :respek:

I'm not talking to you guys, but to anyone out there - Don't bullshit, in any form, with sales. I promise that someone out there knows more than you, and a mislabeled item can look malicious. Even at the "Toys and poo poo" levels of auctions, word travels, and it's too easy to get blacklisted. Be honest. There is NOTHING wrong with saying, "I have no clue what this is, but I'll take more pictures if requested!" (The photo thing is a standard policy of mine)

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Thelonious posted:

Not to be too nosy, but you if wind up selling any of those A1 uppers you mentioned in the wheel gun thread, consider me an interested goon.

:love:

I will probably keep one or two, but that leaves several others with indeterminate fates...

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

loving christ, the previous owners of this house had an ebay account associated with this address and havent changed it and i dont want to contact CS right now gently caress you ebay i dont know their username, i just wanna sell some poo poo

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

loving christ, the previous owners of this house had an ebay account associated with this address and havent changed it and i dont want to contact CS right now gently caress you ebay i dont know their username, i just wanna sell some poo poo

Thatís...thatís a special kind of weird. I didnít know that could happen! They must have been bad sellers.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Captain Log posted:

Thatís...thatís a special kind of weird. I didnít know that could happen! They must have been bad sellers.

I think it's some sort of anti-alt-account rating dodging thing. I'll call and talk to them eventually. Got a few miniatures, a phone, and a gift card I wanna flip, maybe get enough cash to finish this AR build.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I think it's some sort of anti-alt-account rating dodging thing. I'll call and talk to them eventually. Got a few miniatures, a phone, and a gift card I wanna flip, maybe get enough cash to finish this AR build.

I've found ebays customer service to be on point, but very much located in India. I've heard horror stories, but my only horror stories are from customers, not the ebay team.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Thanks, eBay thread!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

infrared35 posted:

Thanks, eBay thread!

:respek: Hell yeah man, you're on fire right now. I'm in a slump and need to get back to it.

Did that light box work at all? It's so tiny.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

:respek: Hell yeah man, you're on fire right now. I'm in a slump and need to get back to it.

Did that light box work at all? It's so tiny.

Yeah, I am still learning it but I took a picture of some magazines that I put up on gunbroker. :hfive:

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Double post because I just broke two grand.

Assuming the last three bidders pay me.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

infrared35 posted:

Double post because I just broke two grand.

Assuming the last three bidders pay me.

The absolute number one problem I have is people flaking on payment. It never fails, itís always something to do with guns, knives, or old fart poo poo.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

The absolute number one problem I have is people flaking on payment. It never fails, itís always something to do with guns, knives, or old fart poo poo.

It's been good overall but I've had four dudes now bid on Level II retention holsters and then say, "oh poo poo, I need a Level III holster, sorry!"

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

infrared35 posted:

It's been good overall but I've had four dudes now bid on Level II retention holsters and then say, "oh poo poo, I need a Level III holster, sorry!"

You can prevent this if you know how much your stuff is worth. Check recent sold and completed listings, to find out what people are willing to pay. Use a buy it now price instead of auction and then require immediate payment in the listing.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

lampey posted:

You can prevent this if you know how much your stuff is worth. Check recent sold and completed listings, to find out what people are willing to pay. Use a buy it now price instead of auction and then require immediate payment in the listing.

That's what I do on my listings, but it still happens. Guys just aren't reading the descriptions, I guess.

Edit: Also just had a dude file a return complaint against me because I didn't get him a scope mount in time for a match, but I guess he decided to keep the mount because he never sent it back to me, and eBay dropped the complaint.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 18, 2018

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

infrared35 posted:

That's what I do on my listings, but it still happens. Guys just aren't reading the descriptions, I guess.

Edit: Also just had a dude file a return complaint against me because I didn't get him a scope mount in time for a match, but I guess he decided to keep the mount because he never sent it back to me, and eBay dropped the complaint.

What?! Did you miss your shipping window?

Because I don't do much, I don't have problems getting packages out on time. But I've had a shitload of sellers get me stuff late and never made a fuss. That's lovely of the person.

"Hmmm, I need something NOW! Amazon? Wal Mart? Naaaah, I'll buy something off ebay and bitch a lot try to get it for free." :strokes MOLON LABE hat:

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

What?! Did you miss your shipping window?

Because I don't do much, I don't have problems getting packages out on time. But I've had a shitload of sellers get me stuff late and never made a fuss. That's lovely of the person.

"Hmmm, I need something NOW! Amazon? Wal Mart? Naaaah, I'll buy something off ebay and bitch a lot try to get it for free." :strokes MOLON LABE hat:

Yeah, I said three business days' handling time, and because work got weird it took four business days.

I was in the wrong, but if he had told me that he needed it in a hurry, I would have made shipping it out a higher priority.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

infrared35 posted:

Yeah, I said three business days' handling time, and because work got weird it took four business days.

I was in the wrong, but if he had told me that he needed it in a hurry, I would have made shipping it out a higher priority.

Do you print your labels at home? Saves money and time.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

Do you print your labels at home? Saves money and time.

Oh yeah. But I'm not a morning person so I have a hard time getting anything done before work, and at the end of a 12- or 16-hour day, I'm usually exhausted and just want to crawl into bed. :negative:

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

By the way, I might have missed it because sleep not happen.

But you guys know that Ebay reports sales to the IRS right?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

By the way, I might have missed it because sleep not happen.

But you guys know that Ebay reports sales to the IRS right?

Iíve always heard they report sales over a certain amount, but that number always changes. Iíd be interested to read the official line on it.

My sales have been small enough to not be reported. But IR? He hits at a higher cash level than I normally do.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Dang government, taking taxes out of my income. Income which goes toward buying things. Which I pay sales tax on. And then I have to pay income tax again when I sell that same stuff? Thanks, Obama.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

infrared35 posted:

Dang government, taking taxes out of my income. Income which goes toward buying things. Which I pay sales tax on. And then I have to pay income tax again when I sell that same stuff? Thanks, Obama.

Itís the tan suit fiasco all over again!

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Anyway, I know someone who was selling about 5k a year and the IRS came after him for it after 2 years.

I think ebay reports everyone's income at this point, it's just a question of if its worth them coming after you for.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Huh. Just added up my total for the year and I'm at $6,279. :stare:

Edit: that is to say, I'm definitely reporting this year.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 20, 2018

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

infrared35 posted:

Huh. Just added up my total for the year and I'm at $6,279. :stare:

Jaysus Christo.

We told you to buy that basketweave stuff!

(Seriously good job man)

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

Jaysus Christo.

We told you to buy that basketweave stuff!

(Seriously good job man)

It's mostly from a bunch of custom Glock slides and optics that I sold earlier this year, but yeah. Thanks!

Edit: I've recovered just under two-thirds of my basketweave "investment" so far after listing fees and shipping costs.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 20, 2018

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

infrared35 posted:

It's mostly from a bunch of custom Glock slides and optics that I sold earlier this year, but yeah. Thanks!

Edit: I've recovered just under two-thirds of my basketweave "investment" so far after listing fees and shipping costs.

Are you on track to make a profit? Because if so, that was freaking fast.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

Are you on track to make a profit? Because if so, that was freaking fast.

I'm hesitant to say yes; most of the "big stuff" like holsters has sold, leaving lots of less desirable stuff like radio holders, latex glove pouches, and handcuff cases. Unless you know someone who's doing a Rob-Liefeld-inspired Halloween costume.

I cut a check for $1080 for the duty gear and I've netted about $650 so far.

Edit: Holy crap, gunbroker charges $15 for a sales report? Is there no other way to see sales for a longer time frame than the past 90 days?

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 21, 2018

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

infrared35 posted:

I'm hesitant to say yes; most of the "big stuff" like holsters has sold, leaving lots of less desirable stuff like radio holders, latex glove pouches, and handcuff cases. Unless you know someone who's doing a Rob-Liefeld-inspired Halloween costume.

I cut a check for $1080 for the duty gear and I've netted about $650 so far.

Edit: Holy crap, gunbroker charges $15 for a sales report? Is there no other way to see sales for a longer time frame than the past 90 days?

Anytime I get to the hard poo poo to move, I start doing lots and come up with a name for them. Maybe something like, ďPartial to Full Vintage Police...Kits?Ē

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

Anytime I get to the hard poo poo to move, I start doing lots and come up with a name for them. Maybe something like, ďPartial to Full Vintage Police...Kits?Ē

:lol:

That's not a bad idea. And maybe with Halloween coming up, that Rob Liefeld idea could be more viable than usual.

"Pre-packaged Cable costume! #allthepouches"