Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm 100% on team Reasonable Spoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Is there much in the way of mixed bags to go through if I plump for it? I probably will regardless, because listening to those 4 idiots chat is great, but just curious really.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

tsob posted:

Is there much in the way of mixed bags to go through if I plump for it? I probably will regardless, because listening to those 4 idiots chat is great, but just curious really.

There's ten mixed bags so far. From oldest to newest, there's

- Monster Madness, where Jake, Emily and Caldwell each get a team of 1/8 CR monsters and duke it out for a Crick crowd. This is a recycled idea from the 8-Bit Book Club episodes that led them to start NaddPod.
- Deity Deep Dive, where they talk about Melora, Pelor, Kord, and the Feywild.
- A second Hearthside Chat, where they talk about the campaign and answer patron questions.
- A video stream that's basically lovely Drawfee, where only one person is an artist. Everybody draws Skullis, then Caldwell does some extras.
- Player stories, where they read a bunch of fun anecdotes and stories from tabletop games that patrons have run/played.
- Session 0 of Trinyvale, where Caldwell describes the setting and everyone presents their unfinished characters.
- Short Rest for episode 1, where everyone is embarrassed by how immediately they started talking about dragon pussy.
- NaddPod Trivia Contest, where noone remembers gently caress about poo poo.
- Everyone watches and talks at length about the Warcraft movie.

and most recently,

- Everyone watches and talks at length about episode one of the D&D cartoon from the 80's. This is the grillionaire episode.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Is any/much of "8 Bit Book Club" worth listening to, in terms of build up to NADDPod? I've subscribed to it with months, but between catching up on NADDPod, catching up on Critical Role (well, the second campaign anway; not touching campaign one just yet) and a few other, shorter, non-D'n'D podcasts I haven't even touched it yet and nothing jumped out as particularly "must listen" from the episode names.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 27, 2019

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

tsob posted:

Is any/much of "8 Bit Book Club" worth listening to, in terms of build up to NADDPod? I've subscribed to it with months, but between catching up on NADDPod, catching up on Critical Role (well, the second campaign anway; not touching campaign one just yet) and a few other, shorter, non-D'n'D podcasts I haven't even touched it yet and nothing jumped out as particularly "must listen" from the episode names.

As far as building up to NADDPOd, there’s a set up episode in 8 bit. But you can see a lot of the jokes that they make in NADDPod in 8 bit, like roll for horniness, pop up. The Zelda adventure book is fantastic, and I enjoyed the Mario ones as well. It’s fun to see murph and Caldwell’s and Emily’s friendship, and how much they bounce off each other.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

The best episodes of 8BBC are the CYOA books written by that guy who kills you for getting puzzles correct. He awkwardly mentions Wendy Koopa's feet multiple times and everyone immediately decides he's working through a fetish.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
this entire date sequence is incredible

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
If you haven't heard the Metal City Mayhem saga then you're missing out on some truly great podcasting content. I want them to make Jake experience it on a future Mixed Bag someday.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Farg posted:

this entire date sequence is incredible

Hardwon asking Moonshine how she brought Triss to the edge in an awkward "I don't know this, but don't want to admit I don't know it, so let's compare notes" was fantastic. It's amazing how deep Jake has fallen in to the character after, what, one year of RP? That said, when I was listening to the Short Rest and they were discussing the date I started thinking how weird it must be to even act out being in love with a fictional character, who only really exists in discussion and not even as someone you can act against. Then they started discussing exactly that; though as they pointed out, Erlin does exist as Murph. Who is presumably one of Caldwell's best friends. Which, I don't know is that more or less weird really?

Also, I don't actually play any D'n'D and never really have, so I'm only going off superficial impressions here and can only really compare Murph's style to Caldwell, Matt Mercer (Critical Role) and Chris Perkins (Acq Inc), but Murph seems to use more variety in his encounters and the main "battle" in this weeks episode was a good example. The entire thing just being the Band of Boobs having to control an airship with rolls for how damaged it was depending on what actions they took was pretty cool.

Caldwell is interesting as a contrast, since he's more willing to roll with the gang's dumb poo poo and just incorporate it in to his game, with the Trinstagram stuff being the most obvious example and including it's own little game to indicate how well the cast are doing on it but Murph seems to have a really good balance between story and mechanics as well as between letting the players gently caress around and pushing them towards more dramatic/emotive stuff when they've been goofing around for a while.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

It's really impressive how Hardwon, despite being a generic human male fighter is just as fun and interesting as the southern swamp elf and the fantasy boyscout.
Jake has done a really great job, is what I'm saying. A lot of it has to do with Murph being a really excellent DM but still.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

The McElroys having to canonize Taako's relationship was funny just because of how (VERY UNDERSTANDABLY) uncomfortable they were flirting as brothers.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

tsob posted:

Hardwon asking Moonshine how she brought Triss to the edge in an awkward "I don't know this, but don't want to admit I don't know it, so let's compare notes" was fantastic. It's amazing how deep Jake has fallen in to the character after, what, one year of RP? That said, when I was listening to the Short Rest and they were discussing the date I started thinking how weird it must be to even act out being in love with a fictional character, who only really exists in discussion and not even as someone you can act against. Then they started discussing exactly that; though as they pointed out, Erlin does exist as Murph. Who is presumably one of Caldwell's best friends. Which, I don't know is that more or less weird really?

Also, I don't actually play any D'n'D and never really have, so I'm only going off superficial impressions here and can only really compare Murph's style to Caldwell, Matt Mercer (Critical Role) and Chris Perkins (Acq Inc), but Murph seems to use more variety in his encounters and the main "battle" in this weeks episode was a good example. The entire thing just being the Band of Boobs having to control an airship with rolls for how damaged it was depending on what actions they took was pretty cool.

Caldwell is interesting as a contrast, since he's more willing to roll with the gang's dumb poo poo and just incorporate it in to his game, with the Trinstagram stuff being the most obvious example and including it's own little game to indicate how well the cast are doing on it but Murph seems to have a really good balance between story and mechanics as well as between letting the players gently caress around and pushing them towards more dramatic/emotive stuff when they've been goofing around for a while.

Yea of the pack you listed I think Murph does most variety focused encounter design. Nothing wrong with classic D&D 'the giant is mad, you should put swords and spells in him' but having stuff like 'your airship needs to be controlled and if you do well you'll make it need less repair and poo poo' break it up lets the players have more room for roleplay. Though at least compared to the others he's not working with an unreasonably big party (CR) or a constant time limit looming over the session (AI) so I can see how he can stretch his legs more.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Additionally, the "narrative of the mind" style and skill encounters can work very well in an audio medium. I'm a big nerd who is a dungeon master for an ongoing adventure right now. This is the first one I've done via the internet, and so while I'll prep maps and such or even upload pictures of my sketch notebook, it's decidedly easier to do some stuff simply through description and as a result not rules-lawyer the PCs on whether they're 25 feet from an enemy or 30 feet from an enemy so much.

For a known "they will go in here" area, I have actual dungeon/mapss and such built up kind of the way Caldwell does it, but the players tend to go far off the rails without just trying to gently caress with the DM, so there's a lot of stuff done on the fly where even if I wanted to, I wouldn't have mats and measures and all that poo poo ready to go the way you'll see on physical tabletop games in person.

So with Murph, even though his players are in the room with him, probably pays off to not bother with super technical map poo poo given that the paying audience isn't there to see it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

sexpig by night posted:

Though at least compared to the others he's not working with an unreasonably big party (CR) or a constant time limit looming over the session (AI) so I can see how he can stretch his legs more.

My impression was that the Band of Boobs was actually unusually small by D'n'D party standards, and that's why Murph is so willing to give them NPCs that tag along for fights; so he can fill in the missing roles most parties would have. At least, that's kind of the impression built up over the course of the Short Rests. I take it 4 to 5 is the usual amount then, and that 6 or 7 like Critical Role has is an unusual top line?

Also, I'm listening to the Trinyvale "Medium Rest" Mixed Bag and it's just make me wonder whether I'd like to get a Emily or Jake DM game first. I think Jake has mentioned DM'ing for curious friends and family in some of the Short Rests, and Emily comes off as someone who would never want to DM going by how codependent she's said all her characters are and how much she just loves loving around with others as a game so Jake is probably the likelier choice but Emily seems like she'd just be more fun as a DM at the same time.

tsob fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 1, 2019

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

sexpig by night posted:

Yea of the pack you listed I think Murph does most variety focused encounter design. Nothing wrong with classic D&D 'the giant is mad, you should put swords and spells in him' but having stuff like 'your airship needs to be controlled and if you do well you'll make it need less repair and poo poo' break it up lets the players have more room for roleplay. Though at least compared to the others he's not working with an unreasonably big party (CR) or a constant time limit looming over the session (AI) so I can see how he can stretch his legs more.

Reid The DM of Sneak Attack is pretty good about coming up with some really interesting encounters, too.

(I really like Sneak Attack. :shobon:)

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

As much as I love The Glass Cannon, it is bogged down by Pathfinder being so adherent to the map.

It's cool for a live show since they project it behind them but is sometimes rough for audio-only.

Murph does a ln excellent job of painting a word picture. I have ADD and it's hard to keep track of what's going on with more technical shows.
NADDPOD never gets too bogged down in needless details and I appreciate it.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I finally finally caught up and I'll be real, like lowkey I like this podcast more than most TV shows I've watched

I'm also so happy to be able to read and post in the thread and look at fanart now, I was afraid of Googling anything before

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

With that in mind, I just found this randomly.

:::Episode 21 Spoilers:::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd2KjfIorMg

e: I'm shocked there aren't way more animations/matics for NaddPod, given how visually amazing some of the shenanigans are.

Not Operator fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 2, 2019

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I've done some fanart for them on Twitter that gets retweeted by the main account and barely gets any engagement.

I'm a bad artist but I've seen the same thing happen for pieces that are actually really good.

Maybe NADDPOD people aren't that into social media.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
For them, social media might be the poop. Don't touch the poop.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

There's some pretty good fanart out there, but yeah not nearly as much as say The Adventure Zone. "Not Another D&D Podcast" is a really bad name, I'm convinced that is limiting their success.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
This is among my favorite podcasts right now, and decidedly my favorite fictional storytelling/role playing podcast right now.

That said, the name is bad, and I very nearly jumped right out on the first episode when they sang that P.O.D. refrain. I make sure to hop out of the podcast before that happens now.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

That said, the name is bad, and I very nearly jumped right out on the first episode when they sang that P.O.D. refrain. I make sure to hop out of the podcast before that happens now.

?????

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

People like the P.O.D. singing?!

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
it rules dude, Are you not the youth of the nation?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
There's not nearly enough animations but there is this masterpiece to make up for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDHzqP5_aJw

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

People like the P.O.D. singing?!

It’s good! What’s not good is the Scoutmaster Denny Quip ad

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
The latest episode of Critical Hit featuring Malgubliyet the bitchy Goblin God was pretty great

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Never even heard of Critical Hit before, but it must be fairly popular because looking it up it has nearly 500 episodes. Did one of the NADDPod group guest on the episode to say you mentioned it, out of interest? What kind of podcast is it? Another comedy focused one? Mostly drama? I'm 43 episodes in to campaign two (though I haven't even touched campaign one for the moment) of Critical Roll now, and caught up on NADDPod, Acq Inc and Dragon Friends so I could always use another good D'n'D podcast to keep me entertained and will probably try it regardless.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Have you tried The Glass Cannon?

It's Pathfinder but has a very good mix of comedy and humor.

The same group does a bunch of shows and are now the official Pathfinder podcast.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Critical Hit is the D&D podcast associated with the comics website Major Spoilers. It's an ongoing 4th edition campaign that's been running for almost 500 episodes now and has a party well into the epic levels. I'd say it straddles the line between drama and comedy pretty well. The overall plot is relatively serious (In "Season One" someone pulls the moon halfway out of the sky and the party has to find a way to get it back where it belongs.) The biggest draw, imho, is that Rodrigo the Dungeon Master is very good at world-building and creating a setting that uses the rather traditional elves-and-dwarves D&D high fantasy to do something pretty unique.

The first couple episodes are a bit of a rough start because it's a lot of Rodrigo explaining how D&D works and a lot of "Hey, this is just like World of Warcraft!" from some of the players, but it picks up quickly. There are a couple "animated" sections up on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvJItZ01UX0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igpRsp3m7gk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMsUKBqtK9w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEH2UTUwnD4

And the reason I know about it is because I've been friends with Rodrigo since college! He's a cool dude and his stuff deserves wider recognition.

tsob posted:

Never even heard of Critical Hit before, but it must be fairly popular because looking it up it has nearly 500 episodes. Did one of the NADDPod group guest on the episode to say you mentioned it, out of interest? What kind of podcast is it? Another comedy focused one? Mostly drama? I'm 43 episodes in to campaign two (though I haven't even touched campaign one for the moment) of Critical Roll now, and caught up on NADDPod, Acq Inc and Dragon Friends so I could always use another good D'n'D podcast to keep me entertained and will probably try it regardless.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Inzombiac posted:

No, but I've added it to my list of subscribed casts so when I finish catching up on season two of Critical Role in a few weeks I might try that. Along with Critical Hit. I've already got a few others I must try out at some point: "High Rollers" and "Rivals of Waterdeep" (though I can't even remember if someone recommended that or I just came across the name when searching for other Waterdeep stuff) at the very least. I should give "D'n'D is for Nerds" and "The Adventure Zone" another shot at some point too. I tried one episode of "D'n'D is for Nerds" and couldn't even finish it as I vaguely recall, though I can't remember why. I tried 3 or 4 episodes of "The Adventure Zone" and just couldn't get in to it, but maybe the later stuff won't be as annoying/off-putting? Again, I don't even remember exactly what I disliked; just that I found one guy's affected voice kind of annoying. He did address that in one of the episodes, but just to say that some people found it offensive (I think it was kind of stereotypically gay sounding or something), but I don't recall if he actually stopped using it or tried to broaden it a bit or what. I've tried a short bit of "Broadswords" and another show called "Waterdeep Mountain High" too, and was really annoyed that "Waterdeep Mountain High" just wasn't that funny, because the premise of D'n'D high school hijinx is pretty good. Thankfully Murph, Emily, Siobhan Thompson etc. did it far better in "Fantasy High".

Edit: Also, I haven't even finished this week's episode of NADDPod yet, but there's already a gem in the first few minutes with Jake going "Hardwon just stares straight at the wheel; he's shaken to his soul" after Moonshine wildshapes to have a goat chin/beard.

tsob fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 4, 2019

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just gonna put in a good word for Sneak Attack again. :)

Is Critical Hit still running 4e or did they switch to 5? For someone with a relatively passing knowledge of D&D rules, how different are 4 and 5 vis a vis gameplay?

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
Isn't facial hair the only physical attribute Moonshine lacks to be truly attractive in Hardwon's eyes?

Also, oof, that fight with the Unseely Queen was rough

El Padrino fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 5, 2019

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

El Padrino posted:

Also, oof, that fight with the Unseely Queen was rough

I thought you just meant it'd be a rough fight physically, but you weren't kidding. It was rough in just about every single way possible. All 3 core cast were given dramatic and emotional revelations, Bev rolled two death saves in a row and died twice in quick succession, Hardwon rolled like dogshit multiple times, Queen Ezra dispelled Moonshine several spells in a row; basically everything that could go wrong, did. Though I did love Moonshine causing a distraction and sacrificing the Nannerflies so she could get a spell off, only for Murph to break character (if the DM can be considered a character) and tell her Ezra was out of dispells and what she'd done was completely unnecessary. Even saving Lesteborn may not work out despite all their work. Rough poo poo. Really looking forward to some of the fallout for the next week or two before they put NADDPod on break for a fortnight. Next arc basically has to be Shadowfell to rescue Hardwon's mom at this point. Which means they pretty much have to meet Kord. I wonder if Hardwon will actually fight him?

What a week for them not to be able to record the Short Rest for a few days. Hope they don't forget too much when they do get around to recording it.

tsob fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 5, 2019

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Inzombiac posted:

It's Pathfinder but has a very good mix of comedy and humor.

The same group does a bunch of shows and are now the official Pathfinder podcast.

I have a weird sort of perspective to offer: I’ve never listened to Glass Cannon, but I am about 25 episodes through their sister show, Androids & Aliens. It’s a Starfinder game, which is essentially just Pathfinder in space, with mechanics for starship battles and zero-g combat (and apparently a couple other changes that have been throwing off the cast, but I’m also not very familiar with Pathfinder so I don’t catch all of them)

It’s been pretty good so far! The players and DM are clearly very experienced and the production quality is high. I’ve been getting a very Mass Effect-y vibe from the universe they’re in. If you’re craving some sci-fantasy RP in your life, you could do a lot worse than Androids & Aliens.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I had actually subscribed to it already after searching for The Glass Cannon and having that come up too, for much the same reason you listed; I've already got a lot of fantasy RPGs to enjoy so a sci-fi one stood out as something that might be worth a listen for the sake of variety.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Their Patreon show, Raiders of The Lost Continent, doesn't always land with me but the structure of the game is a lot different and interesting.

It's Ruins of Azlant where the game is centered around a hub that is a fledgling colony near the ruins of basically Atlantis.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

My love of this podcast led me to try out Fantasy High. They have 8 free episodes up on YouTube, and it has a lot of antics similar to the band of boobs. It probably leans more silly than anything, but the DM is excellent and it has Emily and Murph playing characters.

I just now finished the first 8 episodes and now I'm contemplating a dropout.tv subscription to listen to more. Has anyone else made the dive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Jeremor posted:

My love of this podcast led me to try out Fantasy High. They have 8 free episodes up on YouTube, and it has a lot of antics similar to the band of boobs. It probably leans more silly than anything, but the DM is excellent and it has Emily and Murph playing characters.

I just now finished the first 8 episodes and now I'm contemplating a dropout.tv subscription to listen to more. Has anyone else made the dive?

Sure. There's 17 episodes total in season one. They're doing a second season, and also a series of 'Sidequest' campaigns, the first of which has some really cool names on it, and should be coming soon. https://twitter.com/BrennanLM/status/1105899199931899904

There's other stuff too. Brennan does a DMing podcast with a guest where you can, if nothing else, see where Murph learned to structure his campaign. That shows up on the second collegehumour channel ch2 a week later though, so you don't need Dropout for it.

I originally only signed up to watch D20 but there's a pretty decent amount of stuff on there. Also I don't know if this is true anymore, but you used to get a week free, which is enough time to binge Fantasy High at least

(also check out Total Forgiveness, Cartoon Hell, Erotic Book Club and Um, Actually, imo)

Not Operator fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 5, 2019