Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I'm going to squaw tomorrow, what's good advanced intermediate terrain that won't kill my dad?

Also, Northstar was great today. Great snow, sunny, only a little overcrowded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Managed to get a couple laps in at Ripley on Friday - pretty good but not all time.

Skiied the race today, 50k skate in 4hrs 38 minutes, which was good enough for top end of the bottom third. It was -13f at the start and 0f at the finish and there was no way to get any glide so the whole thing was a slog.

My windstopper jacket literally froze solid after a couple downhills, and I could feel the ice break when I moved my arms to continue poling. Did face tape and toe warmers but otherwise temps were fine until the very end where everything was sweat soaked I had trouble keeping the output high enough to melt it. One of my friends got a top 50 finish but went to the ER after with a frozen cornea.

Goddamn I’m tired.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

That sounds brutal. Well done.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Spime Wrangler posted:

went to the ER after with a frozen cornea.

:stonk:

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Thanks man. There’s another coming up in March but it’ll be at least two weeks before I forget enough of the suck to sign up.

E:^^^ I know right? Apparently it’s ok and heals quick, you just have to “keep your eyes warm for the next few days”

Spime Wrangler fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 27, 2019

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Spime Wrangler posted:

Goddamn I’m tired.

Wow, no wonder. Well done!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Are you part of the Meadows Race Team or do you help out with another league?

I'm on the board of the Oregon Interscholastic Snowboard Association, we do high school competitions. I'm the "official" timer, so I spend 6 to 8 days a season pushing buttons on an expensive Tag Heuer piece of plastic.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Spime Wrangler posted:

frozen cornea.

Well that's horrifying.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Oh man, it is gorgeous at Squaw today

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Meadows was fun yesterday. Never waited in line for more than a few minutes, and the snow held up for surprisingly long considering it was over 50 degrees. Even found some proper untouched corn off of Vista.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Gorgeous day of spring skiing in January, god drat was it hot out

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Went to SkiBowl today. Their main chair at the base was installed in 1946 and has not been upgraded. It has no safety bar and travels amazingly slow. It was unique. SkiBowl itself seems like a fun little place though.

I am trying to go to each Mt. Hood ski place once during the season. Have a Meadows season pass, been there 12 times, Skibowl today, Cooper Spur once. Just have Timberline Lodge left.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, Kimberley was absolutely perfect for ripping down the main run on SG skis today. loving gorgeous out.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I was surprised how well the snow held up on Saturday. The fastest times set were all in the 2nd run. I got to take a handful of laps after our slopestyle comp yesterday around 3. I rode Stadium because it was still in full sun and it was a little sticky at the bottom. Though, I haven't waxed my board for a minute and that probably has as much as anything to do with it being a bit grabby.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Went to SkiBowl today. Their main chair at the base was installed in 1946 and has not been upgraded. It has no safety bar and travels amazingly slow. It was unique. SkiBowl itself seems like a fun little place though.

I am trying to go to each Mt. Hood ski place once during the season. Have a Meadows season pass, been there 12 times, Skibowl today, Cooper Spur once. Just have Timberline Lodge left.

Ski bowl has the best terrain on Hood when the snow level is low enough. I'd suggest picking up a Timberline spring pass for $100 when they go on sale. They're good through Memorial Day weekend officially but have been extended into the first weekend in June the last couple of years.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

It's definitely normal to constantly refresh weather forecasts from various sources and decide the most favorable must be the most accurate, right?

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

Gorgeous day of spring skiing in January, god drat was it hot out

You're not kidding. It was 55 degrees at Mt. Shasta today, but the snow was perfect and I practically had the entire mountain to myself. Monday skiing rules.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
In one day it went from amazing spring skiing to so cold I couldn't feel my feet when I got out of my ski boots (+3 to -17 celcius)

Luckily today is supposed to be some sort of healthy middle ground between the two options.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Friday is our first scheduled day of downhill racing because of course it is.

With those temperatures the SG races on the 4th and 5th should be fun too.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Baldy currently on track for about a foot this Saturday, and I’m quite tempted to get some turns in Sunday morning before football

Anyone else in SoCal thinking the same?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Today marks my 20th time skiing this season. My goal is 30 and at this rate I am pretty sure I am going to make it. Now if I could only get good at it!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

My name is Bawfuls and I am hyped to shred SoCal

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Looks tasty...

Stuff for sale:

32 Boots https://denver.craigslist.org/spo/d/denver-size-8-32-boots-tm2-jones-edition/6807237046.html

Savory 7 skis
https://denver.craigslist.org/spo/d/denver-rossignol-162-savory-7-skis/6779926797.html

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Oh hi ski thread I forgot about you.

Just wrapping up my first week in the mountains (at Squaw as usual). Didn't get lucky with conditions but had a good time anyway, traded off with my wife skiing and babysitting.

Speaking of, she's committed to going back to skiing partly in preparation for the kiddos getting on the snow probably next winter, which is pretty exciting.

Palisades on the 3rd run of the season ain't bad:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

That kid looks pumped!...or Pissed! but it is a photo so super pumped!

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

She's pumped; they both are, really. Going to be a handful getting them on skis next winter but I can't wait.

Trying to decide if I want to get around to new boots this year; been pretty drat close to a decade on the same ones at this point which is by far longer than any other pair I've ever owned.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Growing up skiing looks amazing. :unsmith:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Fifty Three posted:

Please don't put your kids on those ski leashes

Or if you do, take pictures to embarrass them when they grow up

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Fifty Three posted:

My dad got me started just after 2 years old, and I fully intend to similarly spoil them.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

Please don't put your kids on those ski leashes

Or if you do, take pictures to embarrass them when they grow up

My dad just tied a rope around my waist. I'd be stoked as hell to have any photos of that, no embarrassment whatsoever.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

This is the oldest photo I have of myself skiing. Wearing the hockey helmet my dad made me wear for both skiing and lacrosse, but not hockey (because I didn't play hockey, mainly)

(consider this an explicit request to see others' photos of themselves skiing as kids)

Steve French fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 1, 2019

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This is the oldest picture I have skiing, like 5 or so at Mt Waterman

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Steve French posted:

Oh hi ski thread I forgot about you.

Hell yeah! We’re headed up this weekend (assuming 80 doesn’t close) and have some little clip on skis that we might put on our not-quite-1.5 year old daughter if she’s seeming adventurous in the snow. So pumped to get her started as early as possible

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Hell yeah! We’re headed up this weekend (assuming 80 doesn’t close) and have some little clip on skis that we might put on our not-quite-1.5 year old daughter if she’s seeming adventurous in the snow. So pumped to get her started as early as possible

Your problem will likely not be getting up here Friday afternoon as it will be getting back on Sunday or Monday.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

bawfuls posted:

congrats on coming back to win the powder 8's man, it was super inspiring

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Steve French posted:

Your problem will likely not be getting up here Friday afternoon as it will be getting back on Sunday or Monday.

Yeah the problem is we were planning to leave early Saturday which seems like it will be right in the middle of the first big storm. Already taking Monday off work and if we get snowed in til Tuesday I won’t complain :)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Spime Wrangler posted:

congrats on coming back to win the powder 8's man, it was super inspiring
Thanks, it's what Dex would have wanted

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

bawfuls posted:

Imagine how much you could get for that jacket now if it was adult sized

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

not visible in that picture: the string tied to my mitten, threaded through the jacket sleeves to the other side, and tied to the other mitten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

bawfuls posted:

not visible in that picture: the string tied to my mitten, threaded through the jacket sleeves to the other side, and tied to the other mitten.

That is genius.