Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

BattleMaster posted:

So now that they've changed how discovery works, what does honking the scanner do?

It looks like my solar system map is already complete when I enter the system and honking the scanner doesn't seem to do anything.

my dude, you have got to check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXXe7422OYE

Helianthus Annuus posted:

It's under Options -> Controls -> Full Spectrum System Scanner -> Enter FSS Mode.

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Same thing it did before, assuming you aren't in a populated system? If you're in the black it populates the FSS with signals to lock on to.

No this isn't the case at all. I'm a bunch outside of the bubble looking for Thargoid poo poo near the Witchhead Nebula and every system I jump into that I've never seen before has everything already revealed and I don't need to honk the scanner to see everything and scan everything.

It doesn't seem to do anything other than honk and pop up a message saying how many bodies are in the system.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

my dude, you have got to check this out

I've been using this and I don't need to honk the scanner to use it.

edit: I wandered over to the Pleiades Nebula and oh jeez there are a lot of thargoid encounters in these systems

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 13, 2018

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Oh I found out what my mistake was; I was honking, noting that it didn't seem to do anything and wondering wtf was the point, and then using FSS mode and because of this I never realized you have to honk before using it since I was doing it anyway.

Since there's a shortcut to honk in FSS mode I guess I don't need to have it assigned to a weapon group.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BattleMaster posted:

Oh I found out what my mistake was; I was honking, noting that it didn't seem to do anything and wondering wtf was the point, and then using FSS mode and because of this I never realized you have to honk before using it since I was doing it anyway.

Since there's a shortcut to honk in FSS mode I guess I don't need to have it assigned to a weapon group.

I still keep it assigned as a weapon group, because it won't switch modes immediately upon dropping out of hyperspace, but the old school charge up will fire off.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

BattleMaster posted:

they’ll take my primary 1 honk from my cold dead hands :derp:

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
thinking of making a trip to colonia to unlock the engineers who live there. anyone know whether i can get these things in colonia? or do i have to bring any of it with me?

10 osmium
200 progenitor cells
25 occupied escape pods (yikes)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Is the wiki correct when it says that engineer only does a bunch of level 1 mods, and fairly lame ones at that?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I’d use Inara.cz and the engineers section for all your questions about what who can do. This is also a v good webpage for finding things and, everything. The only thing it’s missing is the ship fitting stuff at Coriolis.io

https://inara.cz/galaxy-engineers/

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Figured out how to fly around and land relatively quickly due to experience with orbital docking in Kerbal Space Program. I figured it would fly like a flight sim / old Wing Commander game and it doesn't at all, but the mouse controls seem functional enough so far.

Next I did a tutorial mission to find a black box next and hoo boy it took me a while to figure out what to do (didn't try this new FSS mode, maybe it helps?). After reaching the Nav Beacon I didn't receive any real information and only found the mission while super-cruising past a random planet. Even then I doubted I was on the right track due to the flight to the mission marker taking in excess of five minutes even at max speed. Luckily grabbing the box was straightforward after that, despite the cargo scoop UI never being explained prior to this.

How much can I upgrade this starter Sidewinder (if at all) before it stops being a freebie and I actually have to carry respawn money? Outside of one spare slot that I might slap a fuel scoop on, every other part is marked (loaned) and wants me to buy it out before swapping it for something else.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

they’ll take my primary 1 honk from my cold dead hands :derp:

:same:

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

BattleMaster posted:

Honking as a weapon group means you can scan faster. You can scan while you are fuel scooping, slow down as you exit the corona, and do the full spectrum scan without worrying about overheating while balls deep in a star's gravity well.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

FallenGod posted:

Figured out how to fly around and land relatively quickly due to experience with orbital docking in Kerbal Space Program. I figured it would fly like a flight sim / old Wing Commander game and it doesn't at all, but the mouse controls seem functional enough so far.

Next I did a tutorial mission to find a black box next and hoo boy it took me a while to figure out what to do (didn't try this new FSS mode, maybe it helps?). After reaching the Nav Beacon I didn't receive any real information and only found the mission while super-cruising past a random planet. Even then I doubted I was on the right track due to the flight to the mission marker taking in excess of five minutes even at max speed. Luckily grabbing the box was straightforward after that, despite the cargo scoop UI never being explained prior to this.

How much can I upgrade this starter Sidewinder (if at all) before it stops being a freebie and I actually have to carry respawn money? Outside of one spare slot that I might slap a fuel scoop on, every other part is marked (loaned) and wants me to buy it out before swapping it for something else.

It used to be that scanning the nav beacon told you which planet the target was near, and then you would supercruise near that planet until you found the signal source for your mission. Using the exploration scanner also used to substitute for scanning the nav beacon so you didn't have to leave supercruise to find out which planet to go to.

Now I assume you can point your FSS in the direction of the target planet and find it much more easily.

However it leaves me with a question: does honking the current discovery scanner give you the planet hint as it did before or can you only get that by scanning the nav beacon now?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

What’s the difference between small and medium abrasion, subsurface missile, and detonator missiles? I’m trying out this mining stuff and the size 2 medium hardpoint placement on a type-10 is abysmal for shooting these missiles into the target holes. The size 1 small hard points are right in front though. I can’t see how smaller size of the weapons would decrease the yield. So what does it do?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

drat, forgot all about mining. I need to check that poo poo out too. Finally got logged in and tried the FSS and I love it! This is a mini game of sorts that’s both immersive and fun to use! Next step is to find a phantom in Yong space and get away into the black for a bit scanning and checking poo poo. And for all the poo poo Mass Effect got for the probe scanning game, I always enjoyed it am glad a similar system is in Elite.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe
I sort of assume the scan-for-planet-hint method is obsolete now that you can just scan down the appropriate USS, but I'm not in the bubble so :shrug: can't know for sure.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I have a theory that they made Sol unmappable so no one would be able to say they had the honour of being the first to probe Uranus

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Right, another OP link:

EDSM - Elite Dangerous Star Map. Perhaps the most comprehensive player-run database of what stars are mapped or not. Several third party programs will sync with them.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I'm running out of room for all these new binds...

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Using the new scanner I found a waypoint called "Secret Void Toolbox" and I figured it couldn't be that secret if it shows up so easily, so I flew to it and it looked like a space station, but I couldn't request docking. Then a Fer De Lance appeared with a high level "lawless" pilot so I buggered off before anything dramatic could happen.

Bomb-omb Texting
Sep 24, 2009
Did they nerf Robigo running?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Dick Trauma posted:

Using the new scanner I found a waypoint called "Secret Void Toolbox" and I figured it couldn't be that secret if it shows up so easily, so I flew to it and it looked like a space station, but I couldn't request docking. Then a Fer De Lance appeared with a high level "lawless" pilot so I buggered off before anything dramatic could happen.

10/10 would brave sir robin again

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dick Trauma posted:

:(

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Woohoo! Key finally redeemed! Off to figure out where I can get a MKII Krait tomorrow!

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005
I like what they've done to scanning, can't wait to try mining when the servers eventually stay up and working. Legit they just shut them down again.

So I know there are a few other misanthropes like myself flying out of Tun, because... well because we piled all our poo poo there back in the day when it was good and never moved. So I've gone ahead and made myself a squadron "Tun Intergalactic Transport" "TITR" (I wanted to tack a 'Services' on the end and be "TITS" but the filter balks at it, BOOB is free if anyone wants to backronym it). I'd like to stress this is not a serious biz concern and anyone who seriously wants to fly with goons should go join Diamond Frogs. That being said I'll take all the extreme casuals and extremely bitter vets and your pubbie friends, and your pets because IDGAF. You're welcome to mine salt from pubbie tears here without besmirching DF, and I'll post anything entertaining.

Suggestions for the OP!

Inara is great, but its even better with a third (fourth?) party app like ED:Market Connecter because if you take two minutes to make an Inara account it will grab all your engineering mats and tell you what you have and don't have while looking at recipes. Which is SO MUCH less frustrating than tabbing back and forth between your inventory and a webpage. It does some other useful stuff to, but that's what I use it for 95% of the time. :effort:

Also if you're hardcore into space truckin' and netflix I can't recommend the Chrome extension "Borderless for Netflix" enough. Does exactly what it says and can pin the window on top. I would never have gone to Sag A and back in one weekend without it.

Edit: "Did they nerf Robigo running?" Nope, I was just there before the servers went down flew a set of missions, time/pay/number of missions all seem the exactly the same.

Fuzzysocksucker fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 13, 2018

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

ShootaBoy posted:

Woohoo! Key finally redeemed! Off to figure out where I can get a MKII Krait tomorrow!

I think you have the right attitude to truly enjoy this game...

I'm flying a tricked out T6 to the galactic core right now.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Blind Rasputin posted:

This needs to be in OP as well, for the new people learning how to land:

https://youtu.be/_OVPOV-aSsg

This is very accurate to my experience so far, although thankfully I have managed to not explode horribly. So far at least. My computer defaulted to controller binds in the tutorial, presumably since I had a DS4 plugged in. I think I'll try controlling things with keyboard+mouse later. This feels like the type of game where I'm going to want a lot at my fingertips (although I could always do controller+keyboard+mouse since I'm at my desk).

I went through all the in-game tutorials as recommended and completed them just fine, aside from the advanced combat tutorial which I failed twice and didn't bother with after that. It seemed quite difficult to outgun the two....Eagles(?) that showed up once you killed the first one, which surprised me for a tutorial. They seemed faster than my Sidewinder and the AI was very determined to stay on my tail (which was the smart thing to do so that's cool) so I didn't bother trying to push through. Is that mission notably difficult or am I even worse than I feared? There seems to be an awful lot you can juggle (power allocation, multiple weapon presets, chaff, etc) and I have no idea how much of that I should be making use of and what I should be ignoring or setting-and-forgetting.

After that I started up just to poke around. I saw that there was solo mode and open, can I freely transfer between the two or are the separate "saves"? In open, is there anything I should be aware of re: other players (ie: piracy etc)?

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.
i will never correct the typos in ship poo poo post, they will be a testament to the international froggery

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

AttackBacon posted:

Is that mission notably difficult or am I even worse than I feared? There seems to be an awful lot you can juggle (power allocation, multiple weapon presets, chaff, etc) and I have no idea how much of that I should be making use of and what I should be ignoring or setting-and-forgetting.

No, that tutorial is just really, really bad. Someone said once that it used to be pretty doable but then after Engineers the enemies got radically more difficult because they suddenly had dirty drives and oversized weapons and all kinds of poo poo, and you are in a stock Sidewinder.

Or something to that effect.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

okku posted:

Did they nerf Robigo running?

I just got done pulling down about 120 mil in an hour with my krait. seems to be working ok.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Blind Rasputin posted:

This needs to be in OP as well, for the new people learning how to land:

https://youtu.be/_OVPOV-aSsg
While we are at it, here's an oldie but goodie. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYPtigdFxnA

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

FallenGod posted:

Any equipment that's NOT tagged Loaner is something you have to pay the respawn costs for. That said, insurance costs are 5% of the thing's original price tag, os if you, say, plug in a 1E fuel scoop that costs 310 credits, your insurance fee turns out to be a whopping 16 credits.

If you don't have the actual insurance cost on you, you can take a loan in the insurance screen when you die - I think it goes up to 200K or something. Having an active loan simply means you're going to lose something like 10% of your future bounty and mission fees until that's covered the loan.

TLDR, don't worry about insurance costs too much in the early game, but do get into the habit of keeping an eye on it!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I was talking to a friend last night about wanting to get the game to do some space truckin' and he mentioned you can just get jumped and robbed of whatever you're carrying at any point? Because ETS2 in space sounds dope, but not so much if that includes getting dark souls invaded.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

thinking of making a trip to colonia to unlock the engineers who live there. anyone know whether i can get these things in colonia? or do i have to bring any of it with me?

10 osmium
200 progenitor cells
25 occupied escape pods (yikes)

I just did all of these about a week ago, and yes, everything can be found in or around Colonia.
Osmium can be found in the innermost ring of the same planet Jacques Station orbits.
Don't remember which system had the cells but it was one of the named systems adjacent to Colonia.
I used this to get pods: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/447311-Guide-Fast-way-to-find-Occupied-Escape-Pods-near-Colonia Took me two trips.
Also note that the fourth guy will take any bounties, not just ones from that specfic faction.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Now that I have Horizons I received two "starter" engineer invites. How important is it to follow up on these? One wants bounties and I'm not good at combat, the other wants some sort of special commodity I haven't seen before and don't yet know the value of.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
No pressure, they'll sit tight until you want to deal with them

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

I was talking to a friend last night about wanting to get the game to do some space truckin' and he mentioned you can just get jumped and robbed of whatever you're carrying at any point? Because ETS2 in space sounds dope, but not so much if that includes getting dark souls invaded.
Yeah, you can get "interdicted" while flying around in supercruise by NPC pirates and human players.
The former you can't do much about but they are usually pretty easy to run away from, and as for players you can play in either Solo mode (where the game won't matchmake you to other players at all) or in a Private Group mode if you want to fly around with a friend.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

drat, a day after I was talking up how great Elite was in the VR thread I run into a bug where I can no longer start it in VR.

If anyone else is running into this on the Rift, here is a temporary fix:

code:
you go to "C:\Program Files\Oculus\Software\Manifests" open the Elite json and the mini and edit this "launchParameters": "ED /vr /autoquit"

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

AttackBacon posted:

After that I started up just to poke around. I saw that there was solo mode and open, can I freely transfer between the two or are the separate "saves"? In open, is there anything I should be aware of re: other players (ie: piracy etc)?

All game modes (Solo, Private Group, Open) share same background simulation and nowadays also missions. They're effectively all the same game and I don't care about how instancing really works, just tell yourself that in Solo you will never instance/see other players, in PG you will only see people sharing the group, and in Open you see every player the game decides to instance you with (game is bad at this). I think there's something about Powerplay becoming limited to Open only, but I have no idea what the deal with that is. Otherwise they're the same, so some wanker doing bullshit in Open results in that bullshittery being implemented in Solo too and vice versa. You can pick a mission in Open and finish it in Solo. The only difference is whether you can theoretically see other people or not.

Open gets this reputation of being a complete anarchy with swarms of players immediately killing you for no reason in overengineered ships. This reputation is extremely exaggerated. First of all: yes, this sort of murder does indeed happen sometimes, but it's rare and you sorta have to go out to look for it. Certain hotspots - community goals, engineer worlds, Shinrarta Dezhra, San Tu those PvP hub systems and powerplay systems in particular - attract a lot of player traffic, and wherever many people meet each other in a computer game, some people will be aggressive. Outside those systems other players are very rare, and you will mostly meet other people in some lucrative and popular trading routes or gold rushes, such as Robigo. If you go out exploring, you will probably never encounter anyone unless you stray close to Colonia or famous Guardian ruins.

When you then actually meet other people, 90+% of encounters are either completely unremarkable or friendly. Sometimes people go out and look for a fight, and at some point someone will try to kill you for no reason, but often even aggressive encounters - such as you being pirated by a commander at a community goal - are in the end quite casual and friendly, and often you can simply talk your way out of losing your ship, switch modes through game menu, or high wake away. While being in Open can be potentially dangerous, I have lost more ships to chain interdictions and stupidity around stations than to PvP combat, and having other people to share experiences with is just nice :3:

I have played in Open for basically my entire E:D career and have even done community goal unshielded trading, and I think it's very fun. Sometimes you run into some player doing the same poo poo as you and then you talk and wing up and have fun. Sometimes you play cat and mouse games with other players. Usually you see no one. There are particular things to learn about trading in open, but those mostly pertain to very particular situations, such as Community Goals, and to go through them would make this effortpost even longer.

El Perkele fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Where can I do some basic combat missions? I suck at shooting things.