Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I liked part 2 :shrug:

top page edit:

this is a cool shot that I've cribbed in my job

also any bloat in part 2 is purely because the IT book is all bloat. I love stephen king, but man you could edit that book into something much more concise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

dorium posted:

also any bloat in part 2 is purely because the IT book is all bloat. I love stephen king, but man you could edit that book into something much more concise.

That's like every Stephen King book. Then again without the bloat you wouldn't get descriptions of half erect penises waving around like magic wands.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Iron Crowned posted:

That's like every Stephen King book. Then again without the bloat you wouldn't get descriptions of half erect penises waving around like magic wands.

that's where the magic is tbh. 10 year old me was deeply confused (but not that confused) with all the descriptions of men parts and lady parts. Really shows the genital traveler adult that I would become.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

dorium posted:

Im pretty sure someone in this thread described IT as “not The BEST Stephen King book, but the MOST Stephen King book” and I think about that every time the book is mentioned.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I kind of like the bloat in the novel because it does go to interesting places. I love the digressions into Derry's past with the fire at the black spot, the Bradley gun fight, even the random asides like Eddie Corcoran which aren't strictly necessary in a streamlined narrative, but are compelling anyway. There is some wacky stuff in there, but I find it such an easy read warts and all that I revisit it every couple of years or so.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Still would have liked to see what Fukunaga would have done with IT. Both chapters are baaaad.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

I like to read, but I wish I had the focus to read enough to justify rereading books. Sadly most of the time I leave books unfinished due to ADHD.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

shhh that's not my ADHD, that's just because the book isnt interesting enough to finish.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ultra Carp

Chris James 2 posted:

Has anyone seen Neil Marshall's new film, The Reckoning, that dropped yesterday? Wanted at least one new-to-me film this weekend and am trying to decide between giving an actual new release a shot, or something that's been on my list for a while now like Let The Corpses Tan

I've heard it's real bad and was described to me as a transparent vanity project for Charlotte Kirk. It's hard to get a read on it though because the Kirk drama seems super weird and at least partially rooted in sexism.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

The first Chapter is fine and would be downright good if they didn’t repeat the “run at camera with shaky head” bit 6 times.

The second one keeps the bad parts of chapter one and then is far more interested in being a blockbuster than it is a horror movie.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Spatulater bro! posted:

I didn't like It Chapter 1 so I never saw the second one. Though I love the book.

A fourth of the comedic bits they randomly added in to take potshots at King for sucking at endings, which after my only viewing of the film I have to admit is particularly ballsy when they then followed it up with an actively-worse ending than King gave the book

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Putting aside that one scene everyone rightfully talks poo poo about, It has one of the strongest endings of a King book.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

I only recently saw both films and greatly enjoyed them both, although I found chapter 1 much more emotionally effecting.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Anyone seen Synchronic and have any thoughts on it? I really liked Resolution and The Endless.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

TOO EASY

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Anyone seen Synchronic and have any thoughts on it? I really liked Resolution and The Endless.

I enjoyed it a lot. It's not quite on the level of The Endless, which I think is easily their best, but it has a lot of interesting concepts. There's a great tie-in to the other Benson/Moorhead films if you're paying attention too. The drug is made from the same red flower.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

[25] The 30's were a revolutionary time for on-screen terror. Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff - absolute legends. But instead of watching them strut their stuff for the thousandth time, let's check out something from the decade to NOT feature either star.

This is a lot easier than you'd think. The key term is "race film," made for black audiences when theaters were segregated.

I watched this recently. It's fine, albeit all over the place and really doesn't fit a modern definition of horror (it's a crime movie), but that applies to a lot of 30's "horror" films outside of the classics.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

EVERY FAIRY TALE NEEDS ITS HERO.

Finally watched Shin Godzilla last night, and it was indeed great. Way closer to "Armando Ianucci does a kaiju movie" than I was expecting even after y'all told me that's exactly what it was.

Now I'm starting Neo Ultra Q and it's really interesting seeing the contrast. They both occupy a very similar grounded world where monsters are an unstoppable force of nature that society has to bend to, but where Shin is chaotic and satitical, Neo is somber and very human. After the first episode I'm still not entirely sure what Neo's relationship to camp is, but it's definitely not ashamed of it.

It's the biggest outlier I've seen in tokusatsu outside of the original Ultra Q, in that it feels like an actual TV show rather than just an excuse for cool monsters and action sequences. The fact that the characters feel like actual people is weird.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Shudder now has something called Dario Argento's Door Into Darkness, it appears to be some kind of series or anthology.

Given that I've never even heard of this I'm a bit concerned as to the quality. Can anyone vouch for it?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES
AND BURN THROUGH THE WITCHES

Nobody can vouch for anything Argento has done post 2000

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Zwabu posted:

Shudder now has something called Dario Argento's Door Into Darkness, it appears to be some kind of series or anthology.

Given that I've never even heard of this I'm a bit concerned as to the quality. Can anyone vouch for it?

Never heard of it either. Seems to be from his early days, made in '73 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Door_into_Darkness

4 one hour episodes, 2 directed by Dario (The Tram and Eyewitness), and it seems like those are the ones with good reviews. I'd say give one a watch and if you're not feeling it don't bother with the rest

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Was there a definitive ruling on whether or not the uncut version of Possessor was on Hulu?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kvlt! posted:

I can...to say it's bad!!!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Door Into Darkness is actually something he did for TV in the '70s. I've never seen it though so I can't vouch for it.

edit: beaten

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Kvlt! posted:

Being generous to Argento with the timeline here.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

I just watched Popcorn...Popcorn is awesome everyone watch popcorn.

Now let’s give Frightmare a whirl

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I wish I liked Saint Maud more than I did :(

Lurdiak
Feb 25, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gaz2k21 posted:

I just watched Popcorn...Popcorn is awesome everyone watch popcorn.

Now let’s give Frightmare a whirl

Popcorn was a huge hit during the CineD Z-fest.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Spatulater bro! posted:

I wish I liked Saint Maud more than I did :(

i cant tell from the trailer if its pro-Catholic or anti-Catholic and as a Catholic im not really gonna shell out the rental to find out cuz nothing sounds like a more tedious movie than an A24 enlightened atheism movie

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!

Personally I read it as neither really. I hear the trailer really isn’t representative of the film itself too.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Kvlt! posted:

i cant tell from the trailer if its pro-Catholic or anti-Catholic and as a Catholic im not really gonna shell out the rental to find out cuz nothing sounds like a more tedious movie than an A24 enlightened atheism movie

I wouldn't call it as simple as either pro- or anti-Catholic. It cares a lot more about the mental/spiritual state of its protagonist than it does the legitimacy of her beliefs. If it's a comment on anything, it's on extreme religiosity rather than religion per se.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Hmm okay sounds like it could be interesting. Do you guys think its worth the rental now or should I wait until its cheaper/free?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'd wait until it's cheap/free.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

There's a line in Saint Maude that goes something like, "I only started seeing God when I cast organized doctrine aside" as a means to separate it from the tangled web of evil known as the Catholic church, and good sense in general.

It's a clear dividing line that lets you know things are about to severely and tragically go off the rails. And oh, things do!

At it's heart it's a 70's vigilante film that trades in the tired horse of masculine power fantasies for religious fanaticism. We're plopped into a dark, brutal forest of a world where the only redeeming light is the purity and zeal of Maud. The protagonist's sole strength is through her faith, and I absolutely love that we see every event from her eyes and as it turns out- she's an unreliable narrator!

It's a film that cuts deeply and speaks fluently the powerful language of religious iconography (via William loving Blake no less).

Saint Maud is a small-scale heady thriller, a whale of a debut from it's (female) director and an overall Walrus Certified Good Time.

TheOmegaWalrus fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 7, 2021

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Spatulater bro! posted:

I'd wait until it's cheap/free.

yeah im not huge on A24orror in general so ill prob wait/pass. I still gotta check out Psycho Goreman tho bc that seems to be my speed

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Just finished the Lodge. Riley Keough was great, but otherwise, I didn't love it. Started out kind of intense, but I at least thought what was going on was super obvious and bratty kids got what they deserved.

edit:and cout me as an It Chapter 2 defender. It's not as good as the first part, but it's still a solid King adaptation

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Is wolf of snow hollow any good

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I enjoyed it

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Ambitious Spider posted:

Just finished the Lodge. Riley Keough was great, but otherwise, I didn't love it. Started out kind of intense, but I at least thought what was going on was super obvious and bratty kids got what they deserved.

Yeah. The kids were sympathetic but when they became the gaslighting tormentors I didn't like the film very much anymore.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Yeah I watched The Lodge last night and thought it was just ok. Anyone who saw Goodnight Mommy could tell how this was going to go pretty early on, and it's got some huge logic problems that I couldn't get past. It's well acted and shot, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Old by M Night looks neat