Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The novel whips rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

watching gvk and trying to decide which scenes were filmed with a giant ape and which were filmed with a man in a giant ape costume

this is a misconception. kong is always a man in a giant ape costume, the ape on set is wearing the godzilla costume

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I only saw Congo as a kid. I didn’t like it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I think my last film in the cinema was either Sonic or Fantasy Island.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

dorium posted:

I only saw Congo as a kid. I didn’t like it.

You should rewatch it its solid B movie fare . I actually really love it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I have never seen Congo

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

every kaiju movie ever tbh

The human stuff in Godzilla v. Gigan is great, and so is everything in Inframan. Sure it's always sort of silly, but that doesn't mean we have to give them a pass when it is also boring garbage.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Is the May Mini-October Challenge happening this year? I had an idea for a theme and I just need to figure out if there are 13 good movies that fit it that I haven't seen

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Is the May Mini-October Challenge happening this year? I had an idea for a theme and I just need to figure out if there are 13 good movies that fit it that I haven't seen

Yup, starts April 30th

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

MacheteZombie posted:

Yup, starts April 30th

Sweet.

Can I get some recommendations for movies in which the problem is that something is unusually large?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Sweet.

Can I get some recommendations for movies in which the problem is that something is unusually large?

Honey I Shrunk The Kids!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The Incredible Shrinking Man

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Sweet.

Godzilla

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Kvlt! posted:

Godzilla

Yeah I do intend to watch some of the Heisei Godzilla's I haven't seen, but I was hoping to not just do Japanese Kaiju movies. I'm interested in Attack of the 50 Foot Woman because of the premise, and I vaguely remember hearing about some late 90s/early 2000s giant spider movie being surprisingly decent

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Gripweed posted:

Bad Biology

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Darthemed posted:

Bad Biology

heh good one

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Gripweed posted:

Yeah I do intend to watch some of the Heisei Godzilla's I haven't seen, but I was hoping to not just do Japanese Kaiju movies. I'm interested in Attack of the 50 Foot Woman because of the premise, and I vaguely remember hearing about some late 90s/early 2000s giant spider movie being surprisingly decent

Undoubtedly that’s 2002’s Eight Legged Freaks. I haven’t seen it since it came out so I can’t really vouch for it but I seem to remember thinking it was entertaining at the time.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Sweet.

Have you tried turning off your monitor?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Them! is a very solid giant ant film that felt just early enough into the "giant X" fad that it was trying to make a film with a giant X, not a giant X film.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Them! is a very solid giant ant film that felt just early enough into the "giant X" fad that it was trying to make a film with a giant X, not a giant X film.

in high school my teacher played this for us it was the best movie i ever watched in school

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

WeaponX posted:

Anyone watching the AGFA fundraising stream today? Hoping for some real bizarre poo poo

https://twitter.com/filmarchive/status/1378003853350727681?s=20

Any feedback on this? Seems cool.
Looks like you can access the archive for $25

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Sweet.

The Blob
The Host
Trollhunter
Tremors
The Mist
Grabbers
The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms
Anaconda
Lake Placid

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

david_a posted:

Undoubtedly that’s 2002’s Eight Legged Freaks. I haven’t seen it since it came out so I can’t really vouch for it but I seem to remember thinking it was entertaining at the time.

It’s Decent, there’s also BIG rear end SPIDER which kinda got buried by the syfy original/asylum movies but is actually a decently made b movie.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Cloverfield and spoiler alert but Underwater have big things

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

david_a posted:

That movie is just Tremors but with very bad CG spiders instead of amazing practical sand worms, and a bunch of annoying people instead of Kevin Bacon. Like there are worse ways to spend 90 minutes but I'd rather just watch Tremors.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Sweet.

The Monolith Monsters

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Sweet.

MacheteZombie posted:

The Blob
The Host
Trollhunter
Tremors
The Mist
Grabbers
The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms
Anaconda
Lake Placid

It occurs to me that the problem in these movies isn’t that the thing is too large, but that it’s too mean. If these things were big and nice there wouldn’t be an issue.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Exactly why Monolith Monsters is the correct answer. The antagonist is a big rock that makes more big rocks. The rock doesn't care one way or the other about human beings.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Drunkboxer posted:

It occurs to me that the problem in these movies isn’t that the thing is too large, but that it’s too mean. If these things were big and nice there wouldn’t be an issue.

A giant blob that consumes anyone it touches is going to cause problems regardless of it's demeanor

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Gripweed posted:

A giant blob that consumes anyone it touches is going to cause problems regardless of it's demeanor

It was still being a dick though

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lurdiak posted:

That movie is just Tremors but with very bad CG spiders instead of amazing practical sand worms, and a bunch of annoying people instead of Kevin Bacon. Like there are worse ways to spend 90 minutes but I'd rather just watch Tremors.

I watched Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ yesterday at my roommate's behest, and boy howdy I would have rather been watching Eight Legged Freaks.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I watched Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ yesterday at my roommate's behest, and boy howdy I would have rather been watching Eight Legged Freaks.

Get a new roommate.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Franchescanado posted:

Get a new roommate.

I figure it was my penance for making her watch Mandy a while back

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I figure it was my penance for making her watch Mandy a while back

Mandy wasn't made by a raging misogynist anti-Semite using Christian religious stories with anti-Semitic intentions, so you're still one up on her.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

no good deed goes unpunished i guess

just finished Kairo (or Pulse). definitely liked it a lot but what a bleak, melancholy film. a lot of anticipation and dread and very little in the way of big resolution.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Now Marmaduke, there’s something that’s nice but so big it causes a problem. Same goes for Beethoven (the dog, not the guy) and Clifford (the big red dog, not the Martin Short).

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gripweed posted:

Sweet.

The Meg
Boogie Nights
Big Fish.

Wait, horror movies? The tall guy in It Follows. Everything else is the correct size.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Has any one seen What Lies Beneath Below, which from the trailer appears to be about a himbo husband actually being a giant eel or something?

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

I splurged the $5 to watch Psycho Goreman, and it was fun. Probably my least favorite of Astron-6's output, but fun. If you didn't watch poo poo like Suburban Commando and garbage like that as a kid, I can't imagine it'll do much for you, but it was nice to see them do something goofy again. It was definitely at its best when it was subverting the genre instead of leaning into it.

My little nephew adores horror movies and wants to be a gore/monster artist when he grows up, so he'll definitely get a kick out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Still patiently waiting over here for Psycho Goreman to get added to Shudder. I'm hoping it'll be May.