Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Didn't he want you to be able to seamlessly walk coast to coast across America? That sounds very Kojima.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Shinmera posted:

He didn't, though. Iirc he wanted the world to be way bigger, the game way longer, etc. I'm sure he was told 'no' plenty of times during the development process of DS, too.

That's a good thing! Death Stranding is perfect in terms of length imo. America is weirdly compressed, but that's videogames babyyyy, they can't all be Daggerfall.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

UPS death patrols are pinging me

New thread title, please.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
When you're bringing the body to the incinerator at the very beginning of the game, the camera pulling back, the sense of isolation, the song that plays during that. Ah, gaming ambrosia

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

barbecue at the folks posted:

New thread title, please.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

bony tony posted:

That's a good thing! Death Stranding is perfect in terms of length imo. America is weirdly compressed, but that's videogames babyyyy, they can't all be Daggerfall.

I definitely agree. As much as I love Kojima's wild rides, I can only dread what they would be without an entire team of talented people behind him to actually make the weirdness shine and to shut the crap down.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

All I can think of is the guy interviewed in the making of MGS2 saying "At first I thought he was joking, but I soon realised Mr Kojima was quite serious". Have to wonder how many times the team had that feeling.

It also can't be understated how talented the devs at KojiPro are. Basically every game they've put out has been an incredible technical showcase.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I would loved to have walked real time from coast to coast if it meant they could get rid of Princess Beach.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

You know you love Princess Beach and just don't want to admit it :colbert:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It's a pretty good reveal, all things considered.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Shinmera posted:

You know you love Princess Beach and just don't want to admit it :colbert:

I lovehate tolerate Princess Beach. The stupid slow mo stock medical product commercial running animation along the beach afterward is what i love.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shinmera posted:

He didn't, though. Iirc he wanted the world to be way bigger, the game way longer, etc. I'm sure he was told 'no' plenty of times during the development process of DS, too.

The game would have been better if the world was a lot bigger and the game was a lot longer, IMO.

I got to act... uhh... well what I feel like narratively is act 3, and I was like "finally ready for the game to really take off" and it's like "hi this is the start of you sweet bro and hella jeffing your way down a series of KOJIMA narrative hits until the end" and I was like "uhhhhhhhh" right until the game stopped.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 22, 2021

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Stare-Out posted:

I understand the argument, but vehemently disagree with it, that this game is "just" a delivery simulator. Even with setting the plot and combat aside, the delivery aspect is so much more. You don't just walk from A to B, you also think and feel your way from A to B. One of the bravest things this game did, I think, was to make it both dull and engaging to trek across the game world. And I say this as someone who would happily remove all the BT and Mule encounters from the game if I could and it wouldn't lessen the impact at all.

To me, Death Stranding differs from other open world games in that in any other game, despite how beautiful the world may be like in, say, Horizon Zero Dawn, I'll still sprint or ride my way through it to get to the good part. The world is cool and all, but it's just backdrop. In Death Stranding, the world is as much an element as anything else is. Overall, DS might be blander than other open world games, but that's only because it elevates the backdrop to be a much more significant part of the greater whole and it has none of the "let's just get to the next place as soon as possible" stuff.

I played Assassin's Creed Odyssey right after DS and really felt this. It's an even bigger world, the environment is beautiful, but you can just climb up and jump down almost every surface and every terrain is exactly the same feel, regardless if it's mountainous or flat or has lakes or whatever, it's all the same and feels very flat. The terrain mechanics in DS mean that the experience of traveling through the snowy mountains is very different from the rocky plains or the plateau with the ravines, and honestly it's the only open world game I can think of where those terrain changes feel like they matter.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Zonko_T.M. posted:

I played Assassin's Creed Odyssey right after DS and really felt this. It's an even bigger world, the environment is beautiful, but you can just climb up and jump down almost every surface and every terrain is exactly the same feel, regardless if it's mountainous or flat or has lakes or whatever, it's all the same and feels very flat. The terrain mechanics in DS mean that the experience of traveling through the snowy mountains is very different from the rocky plains or the plateau with the ravines, and honestly it's the only open world game I can think of where those terrain changes feel like they matter.

Right? It's such a simple concept to make the world feel like an obstacle but it's tremendously effective, where other games try - and often succeed, to be fair - to make the world an element to empower you by making it easy to conquer from the outset because it's just "the world" on your way to the good stuff. But for a human the world is harsh. It's not inherently hostile, but it is indifferent. So traveling isn't easy, it takes planning and effort, and Death Stranding knows and absolutely nails that. An open world game where every step matters is a hell of a thing.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Yeah I see what you mean. Sam feels very human in the way he moves and balances. You can stand at the bottom of a ten meter tall cliff (if you don't have ladders) and think, "well I'm never getting up that", whereas Kassandra could basically fly up it.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

what I really wanted after finishing up the central region was another area of either southwestern deserts and rappelling down canyons, and/or edge knot city to be Urbex With Spooky Tar Ghosts. imagine! - this former bank teller's made a shelter for herself in an old bank vault, there's a family that's turned their apartment on the 10th floor into a fortress, gotta climb a skyscraper to get a signal for the chiral network. instead we got a straight line ending in a lame boss fight :argh:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It's wild to me when people say things like "we got a straight line ending and a lame boss fight". I didn't think any of the boss fights were lame, especially not any of the ending ones. I guess the whale wasn't particulary dangerous but the setpiece was so cool I didn't really care that it wasn't all that challenging. Frankly from the moment you get to the tar belt until the final post credit stinger I was fully captivated the entire time. I thought every bit of that entire stretch of game was completely awesome. I loved the fight against the large BT man, I loved the long trek back at the end, I loved the fight with the whale, I loved the fight with Higgs on the beach, I loved the entire fake credit sequence, I was totally okay with how long it took.

The only part of the game that I feel ever drags is when you're in the mountains and don't have your BB. A lot of that part of the game felt like it went on a bit too long for how slow you moved. Now granted I made very little ziplines and didn't built a whole lot of stuff at all really. I never built any roads past the initial one. I probably built those timefall shelters here and there when I needed them, but the big thing was I just didn't use ziplines. So it made the mountain segment feel a bit tedious after a while.

But then again even THAT had the Heartman scenes, and I loved all of those. I ADORE the scene where Heartman is basically explaining everything to you, the player. It felt like such a genuine movie scene between the two characters, it might be my favorite scene in the whole game (the one when he fakes killing himself this time and just vomits exposition at you).

Man this game was good. MAN

The skyscraper idea would've been cool but I can see why that wouldn't really work with the world Kojima made. I Imagine Timefall would make it kind of hard to keep a really tall building standing

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Conversely I think the bit where you're in the mountains with no BB and you haven't quite gotten the exos sorted to the point of trivializing everything is probably one of the better parts of the game, because things are actually threatening and challenging still and there is quite a lot of tricky terrain to navigate there, and a couple of the deliveries I think have time limits too so you're actually pushed.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Bought this game on Friday. Haven't stopped playing it since. It's crazy to me how polarizing it is, like, I understand if you dislike Kojima's bullshit but running around is incredibly compelling. Went on like a 90 minute detour in the first area to rescue my trike from being stuck up a mountain.

Only to find out the next mission is to leave that area and I'll probably get vehicles soon anyway. Still no regrets.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

oh, hey, some dude just starting out, guess I'd better put in a couple tags

oh yeah, while crossing the tar belt I literally said "this is so loving cool" out loud more than once, and the final trek through the storm was awesome, and the whale was cool as poo poo. big man I dislike partly because the shooty combat just isn't great, partly because like half the arena is blocked by an invisible wall for no good reason, partly because it's the payoff for something that I, unspoiled, was genuinely hoping to be a third area, if not on the scale of Central than at least of Eastern. there's so much interesting terrain on the west coast! so maybe my disappointment colors it - but still, I think edge knot is really anemic.

on the other hand, yeah, I will agree that being without BB was awesome.
- I mean, I was very glad when it was over and happy it didn't happen again, but that was kind of the point!

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Looking back I did enjoy all this; the issue I had with it was signaling the game gave me before edge knot city. The “this is it” vibe got me to think “well I guess I can finish the game tonight then”

... at that point it was 10pm and I was starting to cross the tar belt.

And I finished the game that session, but at 7am with kids waking up demanding breakfast.

So whilst most of the ending was awesome, and the very very last chapter before epilogue was amazing, the time crunch hit it bad, since it all FELT like you were on the end, so no point waiting for the next available time to open up the game, this needs to be one experience.

Valtonen fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 23, 2021

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

how in the world do I cancel a supply request that I made, but nobody has fulfilled yet (days later)?

I'm on PC, looking for a PC keybinding here

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I read a tip that suggested you should always empty out the resources at knots/waystations into your private locker. why? do those resources slowly respawn up to max capacity or something? how does that work?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

pmchem posted:

I read a tip that suggested you should always empty out the resources at knots/waystations into your private locker. why? do those resources slowly respawn up to max capacity or something? how does that work?

They do in fact regenerate.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Materials have a cap, one that is increased by certain deliveries. Places get more materials in stock over time, I assume it has to with the in-game passage of time (so mainly when resting in a room). By withdrawing materials regularly they’ll never hit their cap and you won’t miss out on some additional resources.

But IMO I would only claim chiral crystals and chemicals frequently. Chiral crystals have a lot of uses, are weightless and can be easily recycled when you need some to create items at a certain location. Chemicals are the thing I needed the most often when building zip lines later in the game. Especially when you want the first upgrade for the increased range most of the time.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 6, 2021

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Conversely I think the bit where you're in the mountains with no BB and you haven't quite gotten the exos sorted to the point of trivializing everything is probably one of the better parts of the game, because things are actually threatening and challenging still and there is quite a lot of tricky terrain to navigate there, and a couple of the deliveries I think have time limits too so you're actually pushed.

I’m really enjoying my second playthrough (I’m not really expecting to finish it, I just do one order after work to wind down before studying). I’m not ‘allowed’ to manufacture anything or take from a share locker, have to either find it in the world or loot a camp, and I’ve not built any roads. It makes the world a lot tougher and makes a single standard order a nice little adventure.

I’ve left all the timed ones though.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

With that limitation, I can see the pizza missions becoming legit difficult.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
I love this game and I have logged ..maybe 300 hrs on one playthrough? It's the first game I'm gonna Platinum. In light of thes hundreds of hours I've gone Mule and this is the cheer that festers in my diseased brain:

You can do it, Sam! You can do it, Sam! Sam Bridges Sam Bridges he's the man!
He got a big dick and he doesn't eat spam
Rips cans of Timefall, that's no flim-flam
You can do it, Sam, You can do it, Sam!
Eats pussy all night, smokes weed by the gram
Rips cans of monster, cuz that's his jam
You can do it, Sam! You can do it, Sam
Sam Sam Sam Sam he's the man.

Wilkins Micawber fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 8, 2021

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

needs more work

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Yeah, keep on keeping on and it'll be good

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I just wanted more game, more regions. More ways to travel would be great too but the existing tools were fine. An Alaska DLC or really any more content would be an instant buy for me.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
👍🐳💦

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
Awaiting rap

Wilkins Micawber fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jun 10, 2021

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
Umm, also does anyone know wtf is with the stabilizer? You can't carry a drat extra thing, no friggin batteries, so there has to be a trade-off. I gotta be missing something 🤔

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
More rap incoming

Wilkins Micawber fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 10, 2021

night slime
May 14, 2014
I never used it but it looks like it saves you from falling down sideways without having to press R2/L2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6NeBwGw1WU

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
After these mezsGes...they'll be more rap

Wilkins Micawber fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 10, 2021

night slime
May 14, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EbHxConaDM

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

THE ORANGE reference, my goodness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Stare-Out posted:

THE ORANGE reference, my goodness.

I don’t get the reference…

Also I hope it’s not only for PS5, and that it will be on the 4 as well.