Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Being in the stupidest timeline irl with QAnon, etc this is maybe the most believable thing about this season. Of course a certain subset of people will rally behind Strong Rapist Daddy just trying to bring about god's plan.

Yeah it is believable. I was just laughing about it while watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Yeah it is believable. I was just laughing about it while watching.

I think they were going for terrifying but when they started cutting to the people in the crowd I was howling too. I don't even know why.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Just started the new season (#4).

Is that you Sally Draper!?

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Onomarchus posted:

Just started the new season (#4).

Is that you Sally Draper!?

I thought so too, but the young wife is played by Mckenna Grace.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Also uh Sally Draper/Kiernan Shipka has in fact aged since that show ended in 2015.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think they were going for terrifying but when they started cutting to the people in the crowd I was howling too. I don't even know why.

It's actually not super believable if you think about it... Canada is at war with Gilead. It's hard to see a Gilead pep rally being treated too kindly. It's not the same thing as people in the US today being Q freaks because we're not literally at war with another Q country lol

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

It's actually not super believable if you think about it... Canada is at war with Gilead. It's hard to see a Gilead pep rally being treated too kindly. It's not the same thing as people in the US today being Q freaks because we're not literally at war with another Q country lol

I'm sure they don't see it as a political/war thing, they see it as a religion/freedom thing (freedom to subjugate women for the benefit of the greater good because God said so, that is)

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

mcmagic posted:

I agree with this. There was the scene a few seasons ago where Fred was in Canada and a swarm of protesters were outside the hotel where he stayed and Luke confronted him briefly. But now that he's made an appearance advocating for enslaving fertile women to improve the birth rate, the protesters are gone and the Gilead stans are out in full force?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I was hoping the episode ended with the group making a visit to that Aunt's house for a full "tune up" with a pair of pliers and a blowtorch. How is she not in a Canadian supermax instead of wandering around free as well?

Instead, more quietly talking in the dark and staring. And has the word "NAZI" even be mentioned in this show? The Handmaid's and everyone in Canada should be screaming it at all these fascist fundy fucks.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 4, 2021

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

There's always a subset of people that support the other side for whatever reason. We have Trump supporters here in Canada and neo-Nazis. One country being at war with another doesn't just turn the entire country into a monolith against the country you're at war with. It's also very much a Cold War with a shared border.

I think there probably would've been counter-protestors for sure, and they'd certainly outnumber the Serena Stans but showing that prominently would undercut what they were trying to portray.

There were also practical considerations around making that crowd too big.

quote:

The fact that there’s “anyone supporting them in Canada was chilling,” Moss notes, but she was also mindful of not making the crowd too large — and not only because they were filming amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

“It was only recently that the news about the pregnancy would have come out, and so their fandom couldn’t be outrageous. They’re not Justin Bieber all of a sudden,” she says.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 4, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Keyser_Soze posted:

How is she not in a Canadian supermax instead of wandering around free as well?

The episode makes it sound like she escaped to Canada and just made out that she was another refugee rather than telling them she used to be an Aunt

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

They explicitly said that. I'm now curious if June's team is gonna go aunt-hunting

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

flashy_mcflash posted:

There's always a subset of people that support the other side for whatever reason. We have Trump supporters here in Canada and neo-Nazis. One country being at war with another doesn't just turn the entire country into a monolith against the country you're at war with. It's also very much a Cold War with a shared border.

I think there probably would've been counter-protestors for sure, and they'd certainly outnumber the Serena Stans but showing that prominently would undercut what they were trying to portray.

There were also practical considerations around making that crowd too big.

Were there nazi rallies in the US during WW2? I think if that had happened those people would've been literally killed.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 5, 2021

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

The German American Bund sold out Madison Square Garden with a Nazi rally on February 29th, 1939. More than 20,000 people showed up. It stands to reason some of them are still around and probably had kids they passed on their ideology to.

Retrowave Joe fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 6, 2021

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

mcmagic posted:

Were there nazi rallies in the US during WW2? I think if that had happened those people would've been literally killed.

There were Nazi rallies all over the US in the 30s. Henry Ford was a nazi.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

There were Nazi rallies all over the US in the 30s. Henry Ford was a nazi.

I said “during” WW2.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

mcmagic posted:

I must have missed something: when did they say Canada is actually at war with Gilead? I thought it was still a standoff type situation.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Drunk in Space posted:

I must have missed something: when did they say Canada is actually at war with Gilead? I thought it was still a standoff type situation.

I think that's the case, or at least it's a cold war with sanctions, etc. It seems pretty clear that they're not engaged in open war.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

mcmagic posted:

I said “during” WW2.

I imagine those 20k who attended that rally in February 1939 did not all recant their political beliefs by September

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

mcmagic posted:

I said “during” WW2.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/20/nyregion/query-for-home-buyers-in-a-long-island-hamlet-are-you-german.html

quote:

While World War II would turn American sentiment against Germany, Nazi sympathy was tolerated here, at least for a time. Photos from Camp Siegfried show children in German military uniforms raising the flag of the SS guards. One resident planted a hedge in the shape of a swastika. Hitler and Goebbels Streets were drawn up in an adjoining community called German Gardens.

As said I'm sure there are plenty of other examples.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
There's Nazis in America now and loving Donald Trump still gets like 30% support. Yea it's not hard to imagine a small group of biblical worshippers showed up.

Now we get to watch June get people around her hurt outside of Gilead. How unique.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Drunk in Space posted:

This might be the reason. We haven't heard much about canadian military.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

They were working on normalizing relations until the mayday flight and Waterford arrest

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

As a Canadian lawyer I appreciate the details of the lawyers on the show wearing robes during the trial. We actually have to wear them during trials and in front of the court of appeal.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

SirPablo posted:

There's Nazis in America now and loving Donald Trump still gets like 30% support. Yea it's not hard to imagine a small group of biblical worshippers showed up.

Now, in the "hard to imagine" category, they keep mentioning Texas as part of the ongoing resistance. Talk about a plot point that has not aged well.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Texas would be the loving capitol. All of it.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Remy Marathe posted:

Now, in the "hard to imagine" category, they keep mentioning Texas as part of the ongoing resistance. Talk about a plot point that has not aged well.

The book made it quite clear that the Sons of Jacob were not mainline evangelicals and in fact Baptists were some of the first shot/fled to the hills to resist, so an angry revolting Texas is easy to imagine.

(ignoring as always the urban areas in Texas which are as blue as California, just vote-suppressed)

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 7, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You can't really analogize this war to the home front in WWII, because while there plenty of German-Americans, they were geographically concentrated in certain regions and Germany doesn't share a border with the US. In some ways it would be more like the Balkan conflicts if the US, y'know, Balkanized. In any case, those people might be allowed to protest but all of them are going to be recorded and surveilled. The Canadian government would be stupid not to.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

If it's actually analogous to current day Canada, some of those protestors would be cops and Mounties and if this last year of anti-mask protests is any indication, would enjoy some level of protection from police.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Lum_ posted:

The book made it quite clear that the Sons of Jacob were not mainline evangelicals and in fact Baptists were some of the first shot/fled to the hills to resist, so an angry revolting Texas is easy to imagine.

The twisted theology of Gilead has always been one of the most interesting aspects of The Handmaid's Tale for me — if the Sons of Jacob we're not mainline Protestants or Baptists — what real-world equivalent were they?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Canadian lawyers. Maybe I'm not concentrating hard enough, but it the smug suit guy that appears to be Serena's handler but also June's handler playing both sides or is it a case of his number one enemy being Waterford so he's siding with both June and Serena as separate ways to take him down?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Southern Baptists, probably. In the novel they're a "top secret think tank," which is strange, because think tanks a) aren't secret and b) almost always have bland names like "National Policy Institute" to disguise their actual agenda.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I thought the ‘this is not a trial’ trial was pretty weak. Why is the judge letting a hostile cross examination take place if that’s the case?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Sri.Theo posted:

I thought the ‘this is not a trial’ trial was pretty weak. Why is the judge letting a hostile cross examination take place if that’s the case?

Yeah that was cool for effect I guess but it made no sense that the judge would allow both a) that cross examination and b) June to just leave in the middle of it.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Whether or not it was realistic, I did like the idea of June giving this intense and unwavering account of all the atrocities that had been committed against her over the last several years and then this lawyer being like "So June, I heard you shacked up with a married man before the apocalypse, is that true???" Like, if booing someone was ever appropriate in a court room, surely that was the moment for it

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DasNeonLicht posted:

The twisted theology of Gilead has always been one of the most interesting aspects of The Handmaid's Tale for me — if the Sons of Jacob we're not mainline Protestants or Baptists — what real-world equivalent were they?

Without having read the book (but given that it is from the 1980s) I felt it's basically the 1979 Iranian revolution where hardline islamists seized power from the previous US-backed secular-but-authoritarian government. Update that to modern times (so basically ISIS) and file the serial numbers off and you're basically there.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

u brexit ukip it posted:

Without having read the book (but given that it is from the 1980s) I felt it's basically the 1979 Iranian revolution where hardline islamists seized power from the previous US-backed secular-but-authoritarian government. Update that to modern times (so basically ISIS) and file the serial numbers off and you're basically there.

I actually thought the flashback she had when seeing the women in hijab at the supermarket would have caused more discussion.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Looten Plunder posted:

Speaking of Canadian lawyers. Maybe I'm not concentrating hard enough, but it the smug suit guy that appears to be Serena's handler but also June's handler playing both sides or is it a case of his number one enemy being Waterford so he's siding with both June and Serena as separate ways to take him down?

Tuello? I think he's just an American official assigned to managing the Waterford arrests and the ICC case, and I would imagine he has free rein to work whoever he needs to ensure an optimal outcome for the American government-in-exile.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I always assumed he was part of the Canadian government, but that makes sense too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
the American government-in-exile is probably toothless and relying on the Canadian government pretty heavily for everything, so that's an easy thing to think