Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The AV Club review reminded me of the fact that we're 9 episodes in and this week's big revelation is that June is in exactly the same situation she was at the start of the season except she's already alienated virtually every source of aid and assistance (Serena, Lawrence, the Marthas now that they know she's willing to put them in harm's way for her own ends, even the other Handmaids are starting to lose patience with her bullshit)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

That episode wasn't the worst.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Ugh, that one scene, "Oh the miracles God allows these doctors to perform!"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

How do we empower the woman main character? By parading every other main woman character through her room but leaving the real game-changing :aaaaa: insight to the random dude doctor, of course!

e:
:yarr:: you're being selfish and also insane

Joon: :fuckoff:

:eng101:: "how will you honor your children"

Joon: :downsbravo:

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 18, 2019

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Combat Pretzel posted:

Ugh, that one scene, "Oh the miracles God allows these doctors to perform!"

I have yet to watch the episode so I don't know the exact context, but yeah that's something commonly said in modern America. Thank God, but not the doctor. Without Him this would be impossible.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yea, I keep hearing these things. But the way Lydia actually emphasizes the phrase, it makes me want to strange her, more than usual.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Good ep. Pretty hard to take June's new goal in life seriously when she vows revenge every other episode.

Is there just one episode left in the season? I'm struggling to see what this season has been about.

Also "Heaven in a Place on Earth" can't be used by any TV show after Black Mirror. Don't remind me of a better show I could be watching.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Combat Pretzel posted:

want to strange her, more than usual.

I think being straightforward suits her character better.

PostNouveau posted:

Is there just one episode left in the season? I'm struggling to see what this season has been about.

Also "Heaven in a Place on Earth" can't be used by any TV show after Black Mirror. Don't remind me of a better show I could be watching.

4 are left according to all kinds of sources including Wikipedia, but I've seen "only one left" on some website reviews also. I think it's because the first season had only 10, but the second and third both have 13 each and some writers didn't check.

So far, I think this season has been about a forcible change to hate-watching.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This episode was definitely better than the last couple but man this whole arc has been a big waste of time

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
What are the chances they wouldn't have a camera in that room to see her slash Serena?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

mcmagic posted:

What are the chances they wouldn't have a camera in that room to see her slash Serena?

This applies to virtually every one of June's outbursts though

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Escobarbarian posted:

This episode was definitely better than the last couple but man this whole arc has been a big waste of time

The first scene was especially effective - they did a good job of showing how isolation is getting to June. But the best thing about the whole arc is that it seems to be over now!

E: VVV booooo VVV

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 18, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Pththya-lyi posted:

The first scene was especially effective - they did a good job of showing how isolation is getting to June. But the best thing about the whole arc is that it seems to be over now!

nah, based on the preview we get 1 more episode where June's plot armor gets everyone around her killed, this time it looks like it's Lawrence

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The whole Commander Lawrence plot thread feels like they threw it out there at the end of season 2 and now don't have any clue to proceed with or resolve properly. At the end of season 2, you'd have thought he's some sort of Schindler type, but nope.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Combat Pretzel posted:

The whole Commander Lawrence plot thread feels like they threw it out there at the end of season 2 and now don't have any clue to proceed with or resolve properly. At the end of season 2, you'd have thought he's some sort of Schindler type, but nope.

I always thought it felt like Bradley Whitford called someone up and asked to be on the show, so they put him in for giggles without planning it out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Oh baby, heaven is a place on earth.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I'm having a real hard time suspending disbelief that they wouldn't have two armed guardians at the entrance of that room 24/7, considering babies and handmaids are their most valuable currency and June has to be the most infamous security liability in town by now.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Yeah that was my thought the entire episode too, plus leaving sharp objects lying around for her

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
They have 3000 guards at a grocery store but zero in the hospital.

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008
Nothing's gonna change my world
I'm receptive to a "We are seeing June's fever dreams as she has been kept in isolation until she completely breaks" twist. Probably more than I should be, considering it was an old twist when "Brazil" did it. I'm getting a little bit of a "Prisoner" vibe from the constant cliseups of Elizabeth Moss crazy stares. I'm wondering if the show has decided to get a little weird with it.

It's also fair to point out that the target audience absolutely wants to see a woman in this regime making murderous faces while doing murderous things. It's weird that she should be functionally immortal, but so are Frank Castle and Rick Grimes.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Jai Guru Dave posted:

It's also fair to point out that the target audience absolutely wants to see a woman in this regime making murderous faces while doing murderous things. It's weird that she should be functionally immortal, but so are Frank Castle and Rick Grimes.

Absolutely. I think they could be doing things better, but "protagonist gets away with things that would kill almost any other character" is hardly unique to this show. I hope the bring her back to earth a little bit on that, but it's not completely breaking my enjoyment of the show right now.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
That bullshit a couple of pages back from the creators about "It's June's story so she has to survive. We know she survives cause she is narrating it from the future." just makes me angry. They are 100 in the moment lines of dialogue, not something written in the future. And hell, even if they were, Anne Frank didn't survive but we still got the story provided to us in her words.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

That was so silly, patronizing, and just plain wrong that the only justification can be misdirection. Which I bet it won't be. Zach Parsons once did a short story for this very site that where the narrator died at the end, so this can't be that rare. Wasn't a ghost or time travel story either.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

I thought this one today was much better than the last few.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

screamin and creamin posted:

I thought this one today was much better than the last few.

do you know the muffin, man?

Yeah, FINALLY there's some narrative movement. And judging from the promo, next week even more goes down!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WolBcn01P8

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

That was a lot better. Also. Wow. "At least it wasn't you" Holy poo poo.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Lawrence character doesn't behave in believable ways at all.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

you can just call him lawrence, we know he's not a real person

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
This season is gonna end with everyone in the truck and someone trying to get June in but she's mugging at the camera while "We're not gonna take it" plays.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

mcmagic posted:

The Lawrence character doesn't behave in believable ways at all.

It just hit me today. I finally placed it, I guess. Lawrence is Professor Henry Higgins. I'm not saying June is supposed to be Eliza now.

And yes I know how messed up what I'm saying is. That's sort of the point.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Onomarchus posted:

It just hit me today. I finally placed it, I guess. Lawrence is Professor Henry Higgins. I'm not saying June is supposed to be Eliza now.

When he was introduced in S2 I called him "Mr. Rochester" because

1. He's eccentric, rude, domineering, and moody
2. He takes a creepy personal interest in Emily, his newest servant
3. He has a wife who isn't allowed out because she's CRAY-CRAY

I also hope he gets horribly burned ;)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Very good episdoe. These last two could have been like episodes 3 and 4 of the season though instead of 9 and 10

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Countdown until CIA guy seduces Serena.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

In the season finale it is unfortunately revealed that they installed microphones in the supermarket fridges

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Even though I think it'd be overly obvious, I still hope we end up seeing high commander Winslow with curtain rings through his lips at some point.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So the Veil and the Ring that they're rolling out across the country both refer to the mouth rings, right?

I kind of hate that they threw that line in there so casually. The rings thing is one of the most pointless shock-value concepts introduced on the show (not to mention dumb and unrealistic)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

CubanMissile posted:

Countdown until CIA guy seduces Serena.

And she ends up pregnant

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
As for the mouth rings wouldn't that effectively reduce the handmaids into only eating jello? It would make more sense to just cut out their tongues instead of rings if they are already going that far.

I hope this show will be ending soon. I'm ready for it to end I'm getting tired of it to point it's becoming hate watching. The story has run it's course.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

So we never actually saw June take the contraception Lawrence gave her. Is she gonna have the baby and use that to influence him somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

And she ends up pregnant

oooo, good call.