Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Didn't the pagemaster bring him to the tree because it had one of the last pages? Or did it bring him here to get the sap and just decided not to get the last two pages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

The Little Death posted:

Didn't the pagemaster bring him to the tree because it had one of the last pages? Or did it bring him here to get the sap and just decided not to get the last two pages

It had the next page, which is shown at the bottom there. I also got mixed up for a bit and forgot that the last page in that panel is new.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

YF-23 posted:

It had the next page, which is shown at the bottom there. I also got mixed up for a bit and forgot that the last page in that panel is new.

Ok so panel 1 is getting new page, panel 2 is getting sap, and panel 3 is back at cave. That's really hard to intuit from the art itself. It's only really thinking about it that makes it clear.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

*Mookie drawing that last panel*: Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's how book work.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
So ever since we say Snout's misshapen dick and ever since we've wondered when he was going to do full frontal female nudity. And now we know.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh God my eyes. So cursed.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Ok, wait. He needed this glue to somehow fix the page, but so far as we can tell, it didn't magically fix the page. It's literally just holding the scraps of the interior of the page together. Scraps that were already there, and have been there the whole time. It seemed like this glue was somehow going to magically fill in the missing pieces, but no, it's just regular loving glue.

The pieces were there the whole time. All he had to do was just flatten the page out and move them into place to read it. The glue was pointless. The tree was pointless. Everything is pointless.

Everything is pointless.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Kurui Reiten posted:

Ok, wait. He needed this glue to somehow fix the page, but so far as we can tell, it didn't magically fix the page. It's literally just holding the scraps of the interior of the page together. Scraps that were already there, and have been there the whole time. It seemed like this glue was somehow going to magically fill in the missing pieces, but no, it's just regular loving glue.

The pieces were there the whole time. All he had to do was just flatten the page out and move them into place to read it. The glue was pointless. The tree was pointless. Everything is pointless.

Everything is pointless.

I think most of the words in the middle were partially missing but they were all pretty easy to discern even in their mangled state so fixing them really means nothing to us. The only thing that could possibly matter for the audience here is Snout's sense of accomplishment, and if you feel like that's unearned it's because it is.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
He also found another page. So we now have two full sentences of text about Dominic Deegan. This is some really inefficient use of paper.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Yeah apparently the spaceship blew up Snout's house over the 1st sentence to a 3rd grade history essay

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

The Little Death posted:

Yeah apparently the spaceship blew up Snout's house over the 1st sentence to a 3rd grade history essay

"Webster's defines Dominic Deegan as"

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

The Little Death posted:

The old "a spaceship blew up my homework and also my house" excuse.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Page 3 was already legible and Page 4 is entirely redundant phrasing. How is this possible.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Page 3 was already legible and Page 4 is entirely redundant phrasing. How is this possible.

Towards a Working Theory of Mookiest Thought

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's like he (Mookie) resolves basic obstacles quickly but keeps prolonging any real development of the major story. Which is pretty much how Dominic Deegan proper moved, of course.

I recognize this part of the story, there's a mystery and the protagonist is kinda curious and in trying to find out will come across some larger conflict. That's... like the first 10 minutes of a movie. We're on page 60 of this nonsense if I'm reading the site correctly. That's nearly 3 issues of a normal-sized comic book. Even comics that are specifically "written for the trade" don't move like this.

Also Snout is really the only character we've met so far and he is so boring. Visually in particular. I didn't think you could get more generic than "Wizard nerd guy" but here we are.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, you'd think the idea of the Mongrelmen would make for some interesting and creative designs, but Mookie isn't up to the challenge and they just come off looking awkward. Snout is at least better than Bort, who was repellant to look at. Snout just looks bland.

Also that's not to imply Mongrelmen are a creative concept - I'm 100% sure he ripped them off from some D&D supplement.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, you'd think the idea of the Mongrelmen would make for some interesting and creative designs, but Mookie isn't up to the challenge and they just come off looking awkward. Snout is at least better than Bort, who was repellant to look at. Snout just looks bland.

Also that's not to imply Mongrelmen are a creative concept - I'm 100% sure he ripped them off from some D&D supplement.

They're from D&D: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongrelfolk.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
You know, I'm down for a tree being full of hate and contemplating what exactly that would mean for a tree. I could totally see how a hateful tree would get so wound up in stabbing everything that it stabs itself, too.

Where it falls flat is with it flipping the bird, which was a punchline that was apparently so good Mookie had to do it twice. That's a level of human awareness that really doesn't work with the physical embodiment of hate in a tree form.

Even the "shoot the sign asking to be friends" thing could work as a punchline if it cut back to an expressionless tree, too. Because what more does a Hate Tree need to say? That was the whole baseline of Tess's classic Dominic Treegan edits, after all.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lol, and I was just guessing. Wow, sad how closely he copied the concept.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Lol, and I was just guessing. Wow, sad how closely he copied the concept.

The whole premise of Dominic Deegan is based on an old D&D character of his, with several supporting cast members being other players' D&D characters. It's safe to assume that's where he pulls most of his fantasy concepts from.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I miss the Dance Commander.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I miss the Dance Commander.

Dance Commander was a great antagonist. Namely because Mookie kept making him more and more absurd. It was great.

Hostile V
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKLd2Ht36n0

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Sleeping dick down in the dirt of your new cave home. What a miserable existence.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

SHOW US THE DICK YOU COWARD

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Good thing it’s always warm enough to sleep naked in the dirt of a cave without a fire, blanket or door.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mors Rattus posted:

Good thing it’s always warm enough to sleep naked in the dirt of a cave without a fire, blanket or door.

I broke into his private twitter alt and I am happy to report that he breathes through his skin and needs to remain in the buff at night to get enough oxygen. Once this is all revealed in-comic, you will be ashamed of your words and deeds.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Nuns with Guns posted:

I broke into his private twitter alt and I am happy to report that he breathes through his skin and needs to remain in the buff at night to get enough oxygen. Once this is all revealed in-comic, you will be ashamed of your words and deeds.
I'm the one that made this thread. I'm already a jock.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Mors Rattus posted:

Not much different from his old house, really.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
It's been more than three months and I still can't get over Snout trying to find the ship by running outside and looking straight ahead.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Emrikol posted:

Not much different from his old house, really.

except now he gets to pick rocks out of his dick instead of splinters, yes

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Emrikol posted:

It's been more than three months and I still can't get over Snout trying to find the ship by running outside and looking straight ahead.

It's amazing how little has happened in the real-life time period of the comic. A loving presidential impeachment has hit stage 2 in the time it's taking this dumbass story to put 3 sentences together on a bizarrely long piece of paper.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I just

don't

care

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Tesseraction posted:

It's amazing how little has happened in the real-life time period of the comic. A loving presidential impeachment has hit stage 2 in the time it's taking this dumbass story to put 3 sentences together on a bizarrely long piece of paper.

I still maintain that the inciting incident for a hero’s journey was right there. House blown up, new friend abducted, time to leave the familiar and explore the Dominic Deegan world of the future like you said we would. It feels like Mookie deliberately ignored it, did he get bored?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

That and there's supposed to be two protagonists: Snout and the Ink Witch. One has spent most of her screen time either unconscious or as a literal loving piece of paper.

He's so obsessed with drawing her on his Twitter and on his Patreon... Why does he not want her to enter the story? What possible narrative purpose does it have?

I just... Don't know.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
It's edging for when he can finally draw her in all her Inkonetta glory

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

its amazing that all these years on his grasp of... everything is still beyond mediocre.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

its amazing that all these years on his grasp of... everything is still beyond mediocre.

Finally, a webcomic artist who can be consistent in their artistry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Synthbuttrange posted:

Mookie aspires to mediocrity. His best work lands with a resounding “oh, well, I guess that wasn’t too objectionable” to soon be followed by a “oh for gently caress’s sake”.