Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Squiggly will die first as penance for ninja killing me last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

oh

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

this was turned into a sudoku game where 95% of town couldn't be scum and somehow town was still making bad reads but the important thing is that I got three promotions (remote viewing divison, police historian, police chief)

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

always kind of a bummer when the games turn into night action puzzles, gg

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Mr. Humalong posted:

You really take that “eight crazy nights” thing to heart huh

Also I am Jewish and this deserves recognition

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Yeah the lightning rod was way too OP I kept expecting the other shoe to drop on that but it never did

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Squiggly posted:

Hello I am the station captain

I missed submitting my hide action

Because I'm partying you loving nerds. Go get drunk this is the holidays

I was all excited to call this out because the game day optioned before the action deadline but it wasn't necessary :(

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Adventure comes from insufficient planning.
Scum team didn't know I was a potential turn-coat until 3rd day. The lightning rod was a game break thing and I couldn't figure out a way around it.

GG, everyone.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER

Nep-Nep posted:

I was all excited to call this out because the game day optioned before the action deadline but it wasn't necessary :(

Nice catch.

(I can post, right?)

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

NO. CULT STILL HAS A CHANCE

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I’m a loose cannon but drat it, I get results

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Thoughts on how to better balance this game:

make lightning rod a 1-shot or remove it entirely

Remove actual cop, make it a psychologist or gunsmith variant

I liked the luncher and the miller variant, neat idea that didn’t get to pan out much

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

GulagDolls posted:

NO. CULT STILL HAS A CHANCE

CULT ME CULT ME CULT ME CULT ME CULT ME CULT ME CULT ME CULT ME CULT ME CULT ME CULT ME CULT ME CULT ME CULT ME CULT ME CULT ME

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Bernstrike posted:

CULT ME CULT ME CULT ME CULT ME CULT ME CULT ME CULT ME CULT ME CULT ME CULT ME CULT ME CULT ME CULT ME CULT ME CULT ME CULT ME

##cut in bern

Listen rookie, you look like the kind of guy we need. Keep it cool and keep it quiet, look the other way when things go missing from evidence and we can make it worth your while.

But if you narc on us, well...that pretty little wife of yours won’t like what happens next.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Squiggly, Supervising Officer for Internal Affairs (Variant Hider) and Leith Maclaine, the Inside Man (Variant Recruit) have revealed themselves as the remaining members of Internal Affairs, and retired from the force!

The Boys in Blue have removed the sinister presence of the Internal Affairs division from the precinct and secured their victory!

For those who want to view it, the Setup Doc is here! The doc includes roles, assignments (as dictated by random.org), the fakeclaims provided to the scum team, as well as night actions!

I will be posting some of my own thoughts and musings on the game shortly - from roles and requirements, to the way things played out!

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
GG

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

AA, bold choice to flavour claim captain when that's what squiggly would present as if flipped / investigated.

2 penny bottle imp fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 30, 2019

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ah that was satisfying. Fun game! If you want a laugh go look at my channel for my insane theory that Gulag was scum mega bussing his entire team lmao. I would have posted it before end of D2 but yall hammered while I was AFK.

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Podima posted:

Ah that was satisfying. Fun game! If you want a laugh go look at my channel for my insane theory that Gulag was scum mega bussing his entire team lmao. I would have posted it before end of D2 but yall hammered while I was AFK.

Your channel was really interesting.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Lol. Nice job pod. This was a fun game to read

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.
Until today I really suspected some kind of long play from Pod and paul as a scum duo that were just driving the narrative with a dumb lightning rod ability in some way

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Roles
As a role madness game, this was definitely packed with a lot of power. Two roles* in particular ended up being much stronger than expected - largely because of who got them and how they were used.

• Variant Lightning Rod* - In designing the game, we anticipated that this role/power would be used a lot more... prudently. Lightning Rods typically cause more issues for the town than the scum team since they often draw in a bunch of town powers and the scum team can plan around it knowing their intended target didn't die... Or, at least, that was the plan. Instead, the Lightning Rod was used to effectively turn the game into a night action puzzle. A limitation on number of targets might have made this more tactical and less of a blanket puzzle-solving tool. More on this later.
  • Variant Tracker* - When considering the role madness nature of the game where everyone had a power, and over a dozen players had night actions, we did not anticipate that the variant power of Walk the Beat (getting a list of targeted players) to be stronger than the basic tracker. Ultimately, though, it provided a lot of extra information to the town team, who typically don't have quite so much info on their hands.
  • Recruit - In consideration of balance, we wanted to make sure that the scum team wasn't entirely disadvantaged, and thought that 3.5 players was what we wanted to aim for - so this seemed the best option. However, we did not make the scum team aware of the recruit's existence, which left them feeling pretty disadvantaged at the start. Even with the bi-directional recruitment option, knowing about the recruit might have made the scum team a bit more hopeful.
  • Brutal Roleblocker - This role was intended to add a bit of extra death into this game since the scum team did not start with/know their recruit existed. Unfortunately, the roleblocker withheld their action Nights 2/3 so there was no way to inject extra trouble into the game. In hind-sight, making the roleblock mandatory may have been better.
  • 3rd Parties - Since this was a cop-themed game, the cat and mouse mini-game seemed like it would be fun to include, at least in theory. It's hard to really know how it might have actually played out, given the unfortunate circumstances of day 1.

Vote-kills

• Dancer - having the lyncher's target die day 1 was rather anti-climactic! Even though this meant Hal achieved his primary win condition instead of the fall-back, it must've been something to leave on kinda nonplussed. In hindsight, the Undercover Operative was rather under-powered compared to the rest of the cast in that they were a miller with a one-shot escape tool and no way to determine their lyncher. Providing a one-shot death-proof or similar protective option might've been more ideal.
  • Literally All of the Scum Team - Whether due to some collective unconscious or what, every subsequent day saw some members of the remaining scum team stand out and ultimately find themselves under the scrutiny of some of the most active posters in the thread. Sometimes the loudest players just get poo poo done.

Night Actions

• Night 1 - This played out pretty predictably, with the scum team killing off one of the masons. What was surprising here - and a few players comment on it in their journals after AA's flip - is that the scum team chose not to janitor the kill. This left everyone Day 2 giving 2 Penny a free pass, rather than allowing for the room of turning them into a "better safe than sorry" target. The Lightning Rod also only had one person being drawn in, since Paul was prudent with his Day 1 vote (as we'd anticipated in design) and only one other player had voted them.
  • Night 2 - This is where things started to become more puzzle than social game, I feel. The blanket lightning rod usage, accompanied by both the Watcher and Tracker Variant gave the town a ton of information to work off of. That being said, I felt this was a weird turning point in the game because the scum team chose not to kill anyone to prevent revealing Squiggly (via his hider drawback).
  • Night 3 - Once again, the Lightning Rod was there to give the town a lot of information. However, the scum team withholding the kill again prevented them from stopping either Nep's watch or Podima's target tracking, which might have given them day 4 breathing room.

Other Odds and Ends

In reviewing night actions, you may notice that Leith Maclaine was recruited despite not actually hitting either of the actual recruitment methods. This was done to off-set my accidental confirmation of the watch role-claim. It turns out that trying to actually manage the game and player inquiries while playing drinking games with family may have not been the best idea. To off-set this accidental confirmation, I turned his recruitment into an at-next-end-of-day. Unfortunately, this didn't really help the scum team enough with the night action puzzle game having gained a lot of traction.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

2 penny bottle imp posted:

AA, bold choice to flavour claim captain when that's what squiggly would present as if flipped / investigated.

Captain and Chief are/were different.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for running this game! I'm coming away with plenty of fun ideas for future games I run. :)

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Podima posted:

Thanks for running this game! I'm coming away with plenty of fun ideas for future games I run. :)

Glad you enjoyed it. Expect a CYOR to open up sometime within the next week - a spiritual sequel to my old Mega Man CYOR.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I'm glad I got to continue my streak of coming off extremely scummy when I'm town. Ace Detective indeed!

Thanks for the fun game I'm glad it got to finally run.

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry
Sorry if I buzzkilled the game but thanks for running it mikujin

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

If anyone would like to know how an actual internal affairs department works I’d be happy to tell you. At least what I know from talking to investigators that have worked inside of it.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

It’s not as nefarious and adversarial as the TV shows make it out to be. At least, they don’t show up to crime scenes and threaten detectives with investigating their entire unit or whatever.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Many thanks for the game,even if it did end up being a puzzle it was fun to play out.

I was surprised I wasn't a mandatory role, as demonstrated by my night 2 action :)

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Squiggly posted:

Sorry if I buzzkilled the game but thanks for running it mikujin

You were totally fine, my dude, no need to apologize. As I noted in my musings, there were a few balance issues me and ninth hadn't anticipated based on what we expected the "average" player to do.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Oh my god Bern was -MY- backup? Poor scum team

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
this was supposed to be my last game* and im pincered between two megafires so I was very whatever this game

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
*before Bif scammed me into soldiers

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Ha! At least before I absconded with my victory I correctly nailed squiggly!

Fun game Miku, balance be damned

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Something I held to myself was that my lightning rod also hit anyone *who voted me*, so when I started running the risk of random LRs, I had the dumb/great idea to just vote everyone and take control of it, which was definitely OP. Maybe the role would have worked better as "LRs the first 3 votes" or something similar, dunno

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Or make it a randomly paranoid lighting rod. 1 if the people that visits you will be put on leave.

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

I think LR could be balanced by NK becomes ninja and strongarm is the killer is included in the LR. That way the LR does control all actions for one night to help town win, but they know they are going to be killed.

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

Well for my part I feel I hosed up badly enough that my mason buddy was killed instead of me, meaning scum thought my ideas were pretty good to keep around.

Is that more or less what happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Leith Maclaine posted:

I think LR could be balanced by NK becomes ninja and strongarm is the killer is included in the LR. That way the LR does control all actions for one night to help town win, but they know they are going to be killed.

If the LR had a limited number of targets and the brutal rolecop was forced to use their action each night, it likely would have been fine.