Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

This month is a close-range speed challenge that requires three targets at two yards. I know not everyone can do this at their range, so I'm opening it up to airsoft as well. A shot timer will be difficult with an airsoft gun unless you can really crank the sensitivity up, so feel free to just use a par timer and dial the time down to see how fast you can go and still consistently get a clean run.

Here's a Lucky Gunner rundown on the drill: https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/9-shot-close-speed-drill/

Basically you have three IDPA or equivalent targets (with heads) standing next to each other and you shoot at two yards for time (from concealment or duty gear). Easy, right? Not so fast, my thirsty friends. You have to shoot in a specific order. You start with a body shot on target 1, a body shot on 2, a body shot on 3, another body shot on 3, another body shot on 2, another body shot on 1, and then a head shot on 1, a head shot on 2, and a head shot on target 3. You're doing body shots from left to right, body shots from right to left, then head shots from left to right. Nine shots total with no reloads (unless you want to run a gun that requires reloads).

Langdon says a good goal for consistent, clean runs from concealment is six seconds. He says SWAT or SpecOps or high-level competition shooters should be able to do it on-demand consistently in under four seconds. Remember, your time doesn't count unless it's a clean run. My personal best time so far is 4.25 seconds but I stuck a round in the 1-ring so it wasn't a clean run. My personal best clean run is 5.72, but I don't feel I'm consistently there yet. My personal goal for this month is to get to the point where I can run the drill clean in under five seconds from concealment, on demand.

If you don't have access to IDPA targets or if you just want printable targets for airsoft or whatever, Claude Werner has some useful three-part printable targets; for this drill you can elect to only print the head and torso sections and not the gun section if you like.

https://tacticalprofessor.files.wordpress.com/2019/08/printable-silhouette-drawn-face.pdf

Let's get out there and work on speed a little!

Leaderboard

Live fire:
Butch Cassidy: 4.06
infrared35: 4.20

Airsoft:

infrared35: 4.4

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Stop making me want to put a down payment on that 22LR GP100 and run this with it.

Gonna do it two or three times. Once with my Glock 27 because I like it and never shoot it, anymore. Once with my USP compact. And finally with the targets more spaced at four yards with my bedside 4095TS since I do need to work my sight offset more.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Butch Cassidy posted:

Stop making me want to put a down payment on that 22LR GP100 and run this with it.

You have seen the path. All you need to do is walk down it.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

In real talk, may be able to swing a tippy-barreled Taurus PT22 PLY this month as a birthday present to self and run this with that as it is an 8+1.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

yeah I'm gonna skip this one, I dont feel real comfortable doing this one where I shoot (my aunt's backyard)

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Basticle posted:

yeah I'm gonna skip this one, I dont feel real comfortable doing this one where I shoot (my aunt's backyard)

Get u an airsoft gun and go HAM on some paper

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Forty caliber HK USP compact with heavy LEM conversion, finger extensions ground off the magazine floorplates, and loaded with 180 grain Remington FMJ. Carried AIWB in my own Swamp Donkey with a buttoned plaid shirt for cover. First run shot dead cold at the hike-in range using bits of the Tactical Professor's various targets. Used his Personal Protection Practice Drill sheets as abdominal sheets so I could do it with my LCR afterward:

Left target showing my 4.44 second time. First shot went off in 1.55 seconds.

Middle target.

Right target.

Performed a tactical reload with retention after taking photos and immediately shot a second run:

4.06 seconds clean with first shot arriving at the 1.36 second mark. Screwed the second shot through the same hole as the first, tweaking it oblong, as a stroke of dumb luck.

In case anyone cares, started both runs looking at the middle target and having to snap my eyes to the left at the beep.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Dang! Nice runs. Now I feel super rusty.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Double post because I snagged a CO2-powered, officially-licensed Glock 19 airsoft gun at my local Meijer. Gonna be dropping plastic balls on paper butts.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

infrared35 posted:

Double post because I snagged a CO2-powered, officially-licensed Glock 19 airsoft gun at my local Meijer. Gonna be dropping plastic balls on paper butts.

Post it! I've been looking at ones to buy. I have a G17 that is a single shot. I want to train in my condo!

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

Post it! I've been looking at ones to buy. I have a G17 that is a single shot. I want to train in my condo!

Maybe it's a BB gun and not airsoft? I'm at work and don't have it handy. On the one hand, it has an orange barrel which usually means airsoft; BB guns are "dangerous" and therefore don't typically require the same orange markings as airsoft and other replicas. On the other hand, it was $70, which suggests it's a BB gun and not an airsoft gun. Also, it's CO2-powered and the only links I can find online for CO2-powered Glocks are BB guns and not airsoft.

It looks like this: https://www.evike.com/products/77830/

But was only $70.

Here's the BB gun on Umarex's web site; note there's no orange barrel: https://www.umarexusa.com/glock-g19-gen-3-177-black

So until I get home and can look at it again, I don't know WTF.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

infrared35 posted:

Maybe it's a BB gun and not airsoft? I'm at work and don't have it handy. On the one hand, it has an orange barrel which usually means airsoft; BB guns are "dangerous" and therefore don't typically require the same orange markings as airsoft and other replicas. On the other hand, it was $70, which suggests it's a BB gun and not an airsoft gun. Also, it's CO2-powered and the only links I can find online for CO2-powered Glocks are BB guns and not airsoft.

It looks like this: https://www.evike.com/products/77830/

But was only $70.

Here's the BB gun on Umarex's web site; note there's no orange barrel: https://www.umarexusa.com/glock-g19-gen-3-177-black

So until I get home and can look at it again, I don't know WTF.

I specifically want one that has, "Blowback."

But, I could do air soft in the house...

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I finally had time to go hog wild on this drill. I made 18 runs at it with a v3 HK USP .40 fullsize. My personal standard was a clean run in five seconds or less. If I did it, I got a check mark. If I didn't, I got a minus. My times were pretty good; almost all my runs were under 5 seconds. My fastest run overall was 3.86 seconds, but it wasn't clean. My fastest clean run was 4.20 seconds. My first run out of the gate was 4.63 seconds and clean, so I was pretty happy about that as well. Overall, of the 18 runs, I beat my personal standard 50% of the time. I had two streaks of three good runs each, but there was a streak of six bad runs in between.

I blame my continued mediocrity on having just worked a 17-hour shift.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I ran the drill five times with a Glock 22 that had a freshly-installed CMC flat trigger. I did reasonably well, four clean runs out of five, but my best clean run time was still shy of Butchís at 4.09.

Then I ran it with the 96D Brigadier. I had to crank my par time up to six seconds to consistently get clean runs. That long DAO really wants to wander when Iím trying to shoot fast. I did fifteen runs, and all were under six seconds, but only seven were clean.

In other news, I finally unpacked that G19 airsoft gun. It is airsoft, and it is CO2. Non-blowback, which means it has a long, heavy DAO style trigger. Way longer and heavier than that on a normal Glock. So I guess itís a good thing I spent some time on the 96D today.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Aw man, I'd love to live in a blister pack handgun world.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

infrared35 posted:

I ran the drill five times with a Glock 22 that had a freshly-installed CMC flat trigger. I did reasonably well, four clean runs out of five, but my best clean run time was still shy of Butchís at 4.09.

Then I ran it with the 96D Brigadier. I had to crank my par time up to six seconds to consistently get clean runs. That long DAO really wants to wander when Iím trying to shoot fast. I did fifteen runs, and all were under six seconds, but only seven were clean.

In other news, I finally unpacked that G19 airsoft gun. It is airsoft, and it is CO2. Non-blowback, which means it has a long, heavy DAO style trigger. Way longer and heavier than that on a normal Glock. So I guess itís a good thing I spent some time on the 96D today.

I'm specifically looking at the blowback ones. I'd love getting to drill in my bedroom.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Captain Log posted:

I'm specifically looking at the blowback ones. I'd love getting to drill in my bedroom.

If you had asked that nurse out maybe you already would be.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

22 Eargesplitten posted:

If you had asked that nurse out maybe you already would be.

Another woman came up. I also think that nurse might have been really young.

Don't worry, it has only been an on again off again thing for about a year now. I loving hate the ambiguity of texting due to this entire debacle of a relationship.

(Now that I've said those things, I'm sure I'll end up marrying her or something equally insane.)

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Using a par timer and the airsoft Glock 19, I got down to 4.4 seconds and clean runs. Any faster than that and it started to fall apart. As an added challenge, I had the phone (par timer app) on the bench, I'd hit the random start button, and walk toward the targets, drawing and engaging on the beep. I had no idea what foot I'd be on so I just had to grip, draw, and shoot.

No issues with the airsoft gun. It is DAO, but it's not super heavy so after the first run I didn't really notice it. I did one test run, one run at six seconds, one run at 5.8, three runs at 5.5, three runs at 5.3, three runs at 5.0, three runs at 4.8, three runs at 4.6, three runs at 4.4, three runs at 4.3, and three more runs at 4.4 seconds. 27 runs of nine shots each, for a total of 243 shots on one CO2 cartridge. Still has life left in it.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 1, 2019

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

infrared35 posted:

Using a par timer and the airsoft Glock 19, I got down to 4.4 seconds and clean runs. Any faster than that and it started to fall apart. As an added challenge, I had the phone (par timer app) on the bench, I'd hit the random start button, and walk toward the targets, drawing and engaging on the beep. I had no idea what foot I'd be on so I just had to grip, draw, and shoot.

Would you post a picture of your set up? I need to see if I have room

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

Would you post a picture of your set up? I need to see if I have room

I did it in the indoor range at work, but you can use any place where you have a way to hang targets with a safe backstop, a space three targets wide, and about five yards of working room for distance. If I didn't have the range at work, I'd either use the county outdoor range, or hang targets from the clothes line in my garage with the doors open and use my driveway as a backstop (I live in the middle of nowhere).

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 20, 2019

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

infrared35 posted:

I did it in the indoor range at work, but you can use any place where you have a way to hang targets with a safe backstop, a space three targets wide, and about five yards of working room for distance. If I didn't have the range at work, I'd either use the county outdoor range, or hang targets from the clothes line in my garage with the doors open and use my driveway as a backstop (I live in the middle of nowhere).

Yeah, I live in a condo. I couldn't handle a yard or driveway maintenance, but I'd love the room.

My family used to throw darts constantly. They started me when I was four, throwing on a board in a little chair. Ever since flatscreens have been a thing (even Hammerhead darts will bounce out on occasion) it has completely hosed our places to throw darts.

nextlevelstart
Feb 26, 2015

Gun?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

A dart and a pellet gun can both kill flatscreens. Or hurt my birds. Both would be awful.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Captain Log posted:

Yeah, I live in a condo. I couldn't handle a yard or driveway maintenance, but I'd love the room.

My family used to throw darts constantly. They started me when I was four, throwing on a board in a little chair. Ever since flatscreens have been a thing (even Hammerhead darts will bounce out on occasion) it has completely hosed our places to throw darts.

I have a nice scar on my hand from a Hammerhead bouncing and me trying to catch the dart. Protip: They always fall point down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

October shoot thread is up. Hope everyone likes revolvers.

I'll leave this one up for a little bit yet.